Chapter 26: Munchkins and Midterms

It's midterm week and Lukas has been helping me. Jamie never studies, having HSAM she can remember everything easily with her perfect memory, much to my jealousy. Whenever I study with Bash I'm the only one who studies. Besides, things still have been a little tense with Bash since that night at his place. He's been overworking at his auto shop not giving us a chance to talk things over. So right now on top of everything, it feels good to have a friend who studies back with me.

At the beginning of the week, we even met up with Jess, Becky, Ray, and Jared and all of us were cramming together at the Chancellor Green Library. Jess brought munchkins and whenever they finished a chapter, Lukas would shoot a munchkin at Jared's mouth and he would try and catch it. It was super amusing and I learned that Jared is staggeringly skilled at catching munchkins. Jess would kiss him on the cheek each time he was able to catch one and Jared would act nonchalant, but I could spot the color that raised on his cheeks each time she did.

***

Friday
Lukas and I spent the whole day prepping for an oral presentation he has on Monday. I lost track of time not even bothering to check my phone and at one point Lukas paused claiming a growling stomach.

"Want to get some food. It's pretty late," he mutters reviewing his index cards.

"What time is it?" I murmur.

"10pm"

That snapped me out of it. I scrambled to look at my phone and see eight missed calls from Sebastien.

"Oh my god," I say to Lukas wide-eyed. "I forgot pizza night."

"You forgot pizza night? You want me to order some pizza? Pizza sounds good right now," Lukas says unknowingly, but I barely hear him. I stand up abruptly and pace back and forth in the small space of his frat room.

"No, I am supposed to be having pizza with Sebastien right now," I whisper more to myself. I bite my lip and call Bash's number. He picks up the other line instantly as though he was waiting by his phone.

"Emma, are you okay?" He blurts, his tone laced with concern.

"Yes, I am so sorry. I was studying with Lukas and I just forgot. I am sorry Bash," I say squeezing my eyes shut in mortification.

"You forgot?" He says blankly.

"Yes, I mean do you want to go now? I'm with Lukas now, we can all grab a pizza." I am completely out of it, not believing I actually let it slip that it was a Friday night.

"You want to get pizza with Lukas?" He replies incredulously.

"Well no, I mean yes. I mean, ugh I want to get pizza with both of you." I can't seem to think straight my mind wrapping around in knots.

"I already ordered the pizza Emma, but it's cold so you and Lukas can just go on your own," he responds drily and then he hangs up. He hangs up!

I stare shocked at my phone my brain processing. I call him back immediately and he picks up at the last ring. Lukas is just sitting in his chair watching me make an even bigger mess. "Sebastien I am sorry, alright."

"You never don't respond. I thought something happened. I was at your dorm banging on your door before Becky told me to go away because you were with a guy."

I chew on my lip guiltily. "I didn't mean for that Bash. Can I just come over or can we meet up?"

He is quiet for dangerously long before he releases a breath. "Yeah of course, where are you, I'll get you."

"I'm at the Beta Kappa house," I reply.

"Okay Emma, I am on my way."

I nod my head as if he can actually see me and say, "Alright, see you soon Bash."