Chapter 16: Barista

Sunday Afternoon

Meet me at the coffee shop (Jess)

Surprised to see her texting me, I immediately dash to the off-campus cafe about a block over. I hurry there and once I arrive, Luka, Jared, and Jess are already sitting on the couches. As I approach, Jess scurries up to me. She pulls me aside to privately fill me in about a situation with Becky.

"So, Becky's parents found out she is dating Ray and kicked her out of their house. She is going to stay with Ray at her dorm. She is in the back now with the manager trying to get a job. Ray knows him so she is trying to hook her up," she informs me acting like the last few days never happened. I am dumbfounded, that was not at all what I was expecting.

"Oh my god. They kicked her out?" I say wide-eyed.

"Yeah, her parents moved here from South Korea and are extremely strict on her. She really isn't supposed to be dating, let alone girls. They knew she was friends with Ray, but somehow they saw her phone and apparently figured it out," she confesses.

I am outraged that her parents could do such a thing. "That is terrible. How is she holding up?" I ask Jess concerned.

"Surprisingly well considering what is going on." She starts walking in the direction of the couches. I observe she picks the farthest seat away from Jared who is sneaking looks at her.

I have never been to this coffee shop before, but it is surprisingly cozy. It is very lively, filled with a lot of students in university jackets and a few business people sprawled about. There is a rich aroma of coffee beans and pastries flowing throughout the room along with some rustic wooden tables and books along the wall.

Luka asks me if I want anything to drink so I ask for a cup of green tea and he goes up on the line and orders for the group. Becky comes out from around the corner with Ray on her tail who are both smiling talking to a middle-aged man who must be the manager. She spots us and walks over.

"I got the job!" She says enthusiastically holding up an apron. We all give a small cheer for her.

"That's great to hear," I respond back smiling up at her.

"Now I am going to come bothering you for coffee every day and you'll actually be obligated to give it to me," Jared replies jokingly.

"Haha yeah. Thank you everyone for coming. It means a lot you guys showed up," Becky murmurs as she and Ray sit down. Ray squeezes her hand and kisses her on the cheek.

"How is it going to work staying in Ray's dorm?" I ask.

"I am an upperclassman so I have a suite with three other girls. Luckily I have my own room and she'll just crash in it," Ray explains to me.

"Yeah, I am going to try and eventually get my own place, because I don't want to be bothersome to her roommates," Becky says twiddling with her apron.

"Hey, you can stay as long as you want. I personally want you to stay as long as we can get away with it," Ray informs her.

"I know, thank you. But I don't want to stay and be all up in your roommate's space. It will be good anyway. I'll save up and get a studio or something. I always wanted to move out and stop commuting anyway," Becky announces convincingly.

Luka comes back with various coffees, cappuccinos, and teas for everyone. We all grab some and I offer him some money. Jess chats with Ray and Becky about their upcoming bake goods fundraiser for their sorority. It seems this snapped out of her downstate which makes me happy to see. We all talk for a while nursing our drinks before I have to leave for my night shift at work. I give all the girls a hug and head out.