Chapter 57: Engaged

"Okay, that was seriously a different language."

I laugh at Bash's absurd expression as we walk out of my lecture. "No it wasn't, it was just science," I reply.

At that, his phone begins to ring and he quickly answers it.

"What's up Matt?"

I stop and huddle into the corner of the hallway columns and he stops with me his phone against his ear. He distractedly twirls a piece of my hair as he listens to Matt. Bash's face suddenly turns to stone and he drops my lock of hair. He closes his eyes tightly and hangs up.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask, but he doesn't open his eyes. "Bash?" I ask urgently.

He finally looks at me. "Sorry. Sorry. I was just thinking."  He takes a deep breath. "Carl proposed to my mom."

My eyes widen. "What?"

"Yeah, Matt just told me."

"What ar- how are you feeling about that?"

"I mean honestly, I don't care that much. Nothing will change. Carl already has been living and paying for the house for years. I just," he sighs deeply, "I am worried."

I swallow. "About your dad?" I whisper.

"Yeah. I don't know how he will take this."

I rub his back. "I hope he will be okay."

Bash makes a weak smile. "He most likely won't."

***

After we got back from class, Bash asked if we could go visit his dads for just the night. After grabbing all our stuff we drive down to our houses first. As soon as we pull up, I notice Matt angrily storming out of their house.

Sebastien parks his car and runs out to him.

"Matt?"

"Victor is off the fucking rails! He showed up at the house. He is such a lunatic."

Bash's face transforms to rage. "Shut up, Matt! He is not a lunatic."

"What is wrong with you?" Matt shoves Bash. "He was just sitting on the porch for hours waiting for mom before I had to force him to leave. He is insane. I am not siding with Carl, but come on. Victor is not all there, you know that."

Bash's spines goes rigid and his fists tighten.

"Don't call him Victor, Matt. And there is nothing wrong with dad. Stop saying that! He has a mental illness, yeah, but that does not mean that there is anything wrong with him. Stop slandering his name. It's people like you who give mental illness the bad rep. Grow. Up," Bash spits out and takes a step forward. "Stop taking your anger out on dad. He didn't leave us. He was forced to leave, but he never left us."

Matt's face falls, his body losing all its anger. "I didn't mean-... I am sorry. You're right. There isn't anything wrong with him just because he has bipolar. I am just- I don't know man. Lately, I am pissed off at everything and he is the easiest to blame." Matt kicks a rock.

"It's not me you should be sorry to." Bash crosses his arms.

Matt huffs out loud. "Yeah, I don't think I am ready for that conversation."

"Whatever Matt," Bash mumbles.

"I'm sorry Bash. I am. I will be alright. I am heading to Pete's. I need to get out of that white picket house for awhile."

Bash pauses. "You can't be angry at mom forever either."

Matt glances back at the house. "Yeah, I know." He turns his attention back to Bash. "I am going to try okay? As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. It's time to move past this shit."