Chapter 24: Steam Coming Out of Her Ears

Later on in the evening, I decide I need to check on Bash in person refusing to take any more excuses. I show up in his hall and give a gentle knock. His voice vibrates through his door shouting "Come in" so I slowly trudge in sizing him up as I get closer. He's sitting on his bed, his face expressionless. Surrounding him is a haze of smoke wafting in tendrils from the cigar that is hanging from his mouth. His black mechanic work tee clings to his body and his hair is mussed-up as though he raked his fingers through it countlessly. He takes notice of me and gives me a small close-lipped smile putting the cigar down in his tray. I drift to his side on the bed, but by his cloudy expression, I cannot decipher what he is thinking. I ruefully ask how he is holding up.

He releases a deep breath looking upwards. "I'm fine. I told my dad that after the other night he needs to leave me alone," his voice firm.

"Really?" I ask quizzically.

He looks over at me his eyes softening. "Yeah, Emma. It was a lot of money and he had already had it from Social Security, but he spent it so he could get wasted," his eyes screwed shut and his voice tightens. "I can't deal with that kind of bullshit!" The anger is coming off him in waves but I can tell he is trying to restrain it. Feeling awful by his confession, I grab his hand and give it a squeeze sitting down next to him. It must have been very difficult for him to cut ties with his dad. I put my head in the crook of his shoulder and he exhales another breath his body loosening with it. I think over my encounter with Brittany and I find it peculiar he hasn't discussed this with his girlfriend, but I don't want to bring it up just to upset him.

Ironically without warning, Britt appears in the doorway and rushes into the room her face painted in rage. Bash's body tightens back into a rigid stance. Blindsided by her appearance, I abruptly stand up releasing Bash's hand realizing now it is the perfect time to get out of here. Britt not even glancing in my direction doesn't give me a chance. She blocks the doorway, my only means of escape.

"Sebastien! You need to tell me where you were Monday night," she screams at him. Her face scrunches up as she strides closer and he stands up.

"Like hell I do! It has nothing to do with you Britt. Just leave it alone!" He yells back meeting her face-to-face.

"No! We are in a relationship you don't just hide things from me!" she says pointing her finger into the middle of his chest.

I edge backward trying to get as far in the corner away from them both.

"I am done talking to you. You can leave now," Sebastien announces in annoyance turning back around and picks up his cigar taking a drag.

"Excuse me. Excuse me! No, you do not speak to me that way," she adamantly shakes her head her voice high-pitched.

"Well too bad. I don't care how you feel," he responds back looking over his shoulder to her offhandedly.

"You obviously told Emma, but not me. I am your girlfriend. Even Emma knows that a boyfriend and girlfriend should tell each other things. Right, Emma?" she exclaims.

I swallow. "Um, I mean yes you're his girlfriend, but I rather not say anything if you don't mind," I stammer, my eyes flickering between the two of them on the verge of exploding. I see Bash look over at me probably forgetting I was even still here.

"Emma, I know you're like his sister, but tell him what you think." Britt puts forth to us both her eyes demanding my response.

I shrivel back from her statement. "I really don't want to choose sides," I utter to her feeling the dire need to run the hell out of here. Sebastien continues to ignore her without care and rolls his cigar onto his ashtray until it breaks off.

Britt starts screaming again, "Look at me! I am so close to being done." She throws her hands up aggressively. "Bashy! If you hooked up with some slut I am going to literally slash your tires on your bike and then your car. And then, we'll see who ignores who!" My eyes grow as wide as saucers from her outburst.

"Damn it, Britt!" He whirls to her. "Don't even think about touching my bike," his voice venom. "Stop acting like an insecure little whore. Just get over yourself. I told you it had nothing to do with you so it has nothing to do with you," he says riled up, fists clenching.

I am pretty sure there is steam seeping out of her ears now. She huffs in protest and then looks down at the floor her eyes glittering. I feel a little empathetic for her as I look between them because she's clearly hurting by his harsh words.

Feeling completely at odds with the situation I blurt, "Bash maybe you should just tell her."

He turns to face me his expression hard. "Oh, so you're on her side now?"

"What, no. I just, I don't know. I would think you should talk through this with a girlfriend. This is just a big misunderstanding." I am just trying to calm everyone down, but that adds fuel to the fire because Sebastien gets more infuriated his blue eyes darkening. He takes a step back from me and averts his eyes.

"Whatever. You know what, if you guys don't leave, then I will." He storms past Britt, grabbing his helmet and keys on the way out. My shoulders slump at his retreating frame.

Britt spits out, "He is such a jerk!" She stomps out after him like she is going to chase him. I hear his motorcycle rev up and speed away before she gets a chance.

***

I go visit Jamie after that desperately in need of a diversion. I visit her at her sorority and she brings me to the kitchen of catered food. My mouth waters at the sight of sandwiches and various baked ziti and dishes. I scoop up way more than I should eat and we dash back into her room.

"So how did your date go with Jeremy?" I question her hoping for good news as I twirl some baked ziti around my fork.

She smirks at me. "Very well, surprisingly. He is not as boring as I thought. And his dimples, ugh. They are perfection." Her eyes look up to the ceiling like she is imagining them and I giggle at her expression. She tells me how he took her to Prospect gardens, a botanical garden near campus, and then out to eat at a little Mexican restaurant.

"Aw, that sounds adorable Jamie!" She seems to like him, which makes me extremely giddy. She has never done the boyfriend thing with someone worth her time.

"Yeah, but he hasn't kissed me yet. Like what kind of guy is he, ugh."

"He's a gentleman," I mutter dreamily. She scowls and we argue back and forth about it before she finally concedes saying if he doesn't kiss her by the third date she's moving on. I just shake my head at her. After feeling cheered up, which Jamie's presence normally does to me, I crash at her place and go to sleep.

***
*Author's Note*
Do you guys like or hate Brittany 🤔
Don't forget to vote & comment even if it is just say hi ;) Thank you 💜