Chapter 6: You're On

I have to walk through the multiple living areas and the kitchen to get to the backyard. There are empty pizza boxes and cans scattered across the granite countertops. It is repelling, so I quickly try to swerve my way through, having to step over a beer spill on the floor. Thank gosh, I don't have to clean this place up. Poor pledges.

Once I get a breath of fresh air, I instantly feel better being out in the open. I recognize Jamie's hair across the way and cut across the yard to her. As I approach, I notice she's leaning against a beer pong table cheering on a long-haired, thin guy. He winks at her and puffs out a cloud of cigarette smoke in her direction. His blonde-head spins back to the game, shooting and missing his needed shot into the cup by a lot.

"Hey James, who's he?" I ask my eyes following towards his direction.

She pulls away to peer over at me. "Emma! Oh, that's Tyler," she whispers. "Isn't he hot?" She shoots me a mischievous grin and I laugh at her expression. He was good-looking, but so not my type.

"Yep, he is hot," I whisper back agreeing anyway.

"Hell yeah!" She overly screams as Tyler throws a different ball landing it into the cup. She looks back at me unfocused seeming to remember something.

"Oh, Sebastien came this way looking for you. I told him you were dancing and he looked angry that I left you. He went downstairs searching for you." She takes a hit off her vape pen inhaling deeply.

"Really?" I say. "Oh, hopefully, he comes back up here." I chew my lip glancing around. I should have called him back before.

I pull out my phone, but then Jamie mutters "Oh, there he is!" She taps my shoulder and points her swaying finger in the general direction he is in. He's headed right for us, his tall figure strapped down in a black muscle-tee and his hair messily tousled. Britt, his girlfriend of the month, is latched on his arm in a body-con skirt and tall as hell stilettos. I give a timid wave at them crossing the yard and Sebastien beams in return finally noticing me.

"Emma! There you are, I've been looking all over for you," he says striding right up to my line of vision. "I am so happy you came." He releases his arm around Britt and smirks before snatching me up into a bear hug. I giggle as my feet slightly dangle in the air to reach his tall frame. I squeeze him back my cheeks warming. He settles me down and a perplexed expression crosses his face.

"Did you drink?" He asks bemused. He glimpses down at me, his striking blue eyes catching the light. I blink at him. Oh, right. I probably still smell like an obscene amount of alcohol.

"Oh no, someone just spilled some of their drink on my shirt," I say as I look down examining to see if there is still a noticeable stain.

"Yeah, you reek." He scrunches his nose teasingly. "I probably should have warned you about that. Oh well," he mutters jokily. I give him a slight shove on his firm shoulder and he laughs in return. A burst of sudden roaring laughter and a beer smashing onto the pavement calls our attention back to the beer pong table. The cheering that is going on makes it apparent that the guy competing against Tyler in beer pong just won and is now making a huge show of it.

"Yo Sebastien, want to go?" The guy who just won the game shouts, taunting Bash.

Bash swivels, inspecting the guy. He crookedly grins and announces, "Oh, you're on." He heads to the other side of the table leaning forward anticipatory. I frown softly at his absence and watch as everyone else gathers into the empty chairs surrounding the game. Unsure, I follow along and grab the outermost chair and plop down.

I sense a figure to my right and a recognizable voice quickly follows. "So how are you Emma? How are your studies going, Liberal Arts right?" I turn to the sound and notice Britt standing alongside me her head tilted in question.