Chapter 15: I Can Totally Pull Off a Mustache

The following Wednesday, Jamie stays out for the night. I don't think much into it, because it is a relatively normal occurrence. On Thursday, I catch her after my second class waiting in line at the coffee truck. She spots me and starts waving before snatching me to wait in line with her.

"I got news," she reveals to me her face filled with a secret. She leans in to whisper to me. "I slept with Jared!" I stare shocked at her as we move up the line. She giggles at my expression.

"Here, I got you," she says and pays for a tea for me and then is off once again muttering "Ta, ta" before I can even respond. I blink at her retreating figure before sipping my tea. I wander to my last class trying to detangle my befuddled thoughts. I am unsure if I should be happy for her or worried about what it will do to Jess.

I try not to think about it too much when I meet up with everyone for dinner that night. However, when I arrive at the dining hall, Jess isn't there. No one seems to want to acknowledge her absence, so I don't mention it either even though I feel it deeply.

***

Friday
I am sitting across from Sebastien at our normal place as we wait for our pizza. I drum my fingers against the table replaying the past several days in my mind. I have been mostly keeping Bash up-to-date about the group so I decide it's okay to unload to him the Jess, Jared, and Jamie dilemma as the waiter drops off our pies. He listens intently while shoveling down slices until I am finished.

"Well, it sounds to me like she found out and is really bothered about it. I am sure she will come around though," he answers and I briefly nod my head.

His attempt to console me barely fazes me. I still feel incredibly guilty because I introduced Jamie to Jared so I am to blame. I hold onto my still first slice nibbling on it while he is on his third or fourth. I lost count. I think Bash could tell it is really troubling me because I don't even grab a slice of his pizza.

"Hey," he says as he touches my wrist, pulling my attention to his. "It isn't your fault. Jared was bound to meet someone else even if it wasn't Jamie. I don't think Jess will be upset forever," he tells me comfortingly. "There is no way she is mad at you right now, probably more likely mad at Jared or herself, if anyone." He gives a small shrug and pushes a slice of his margarita over.

I exhale deeply trying to release my guilt with it. "You're right. She probably just needs more space to process whatever it is."

He nods his head relieved and gives me his cute, crooked smile. I can't help but smile back and take the slice he offered. He then changes the topic to start talking about Halloween coming up, his favorite holiday.

"I am going to be either Luigi or Ron Swanson." I laugh trying to picture him with a mustache. "What you don't think I can pull it off? Because I totally can," he responds smugly.

"I have no doubt," I say because he could pull anything off and still look manage to look like a Calvin Klein model.

"You need to come this year, it is disgraceful you have never even been to any of my Halloween parties."

"I don't know..." I murmur glancing off to the side not thrilled by the idea.

"Don't you want to see me with a mustache sporting some overalls? What if I come out as a sexy ninja or firefighter will I convince you then?" he teases me and then jumps up striking a ninja pose. I start laughing. Some people in the pizzeria turn to stare at him.

"Sit down," I say sternly trying to stop people from staring at us.

"I will not until you agree. How did Jamie convince you earlier? Garbages? Easy, I will get one of the pledges to do it."

"Fine, fine. I'll think about it, okay? Please just sit down, people are staring." He accepts that answer and finally sits back down. He tells me more ideas he has and I giggle along. I have never been big into Halloween and just normally put on a simple headband or shirt to make Bash happy. Bash gets so irritated when I do that claiming I have zero holiday spirit. I just never really been big on holidays since I mostly spend them alone or like any other day. After we pay our bill, we go back on campus and he drops me off.

Once in my dorm, I text Lukas.

Hey, did Jess show up to dinner tonight?

No :/ she didn't. (Lukas)

I look over to find Jamie in her bed so I know that she hasn't met up with Jared again since the last time.

Okay thanks I reply as my worry for Jess skyrockets.

***