Chapter 21: Movers

I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the covers drained from the day. I don't even hear Jamie come in later that night. When I wake up, Jamie is bustling around the room with various accessories in her hand.

"Emma! You're awake," she says startled.

"Yeah, what's up with you? Why do you always have so much energy on Sundays?" I reply as I stand up and roll out my neck.

"Okay, you need to sit back down. We need to talk," she states outright.

I put a hand to my chest. "Are you breaking up with me?" I tease wryly. Ignoring my comment she comes and scoots onto the edge of my bed nervousness raking her features as she toys with her brush. Jamie never looks nervous.

She takes a deep breath. "The president invited me to move into their house last night," she announces.

I stare unblinking as it sinks in and then I yammer, "That's amazing, Jamie! Well, what are you doing? Let's start packing!" I force a cheerful tone on and a bright smile along with it.

Her eyebrows knit together. "Emma," she deadpans.

"Jamie," I say in the same tone mimicking her.

"I can't just leave you in a dorm all by yourself."

I roll my eyes dramatically unwilling to reveal any true feelings. "You can't just let this opportunity go. And you know what, I'll love the extra room."

"I don't know Emma. I feel like a terrible friend if I do it. Maybe I could ask to defer until next year or semester or something," she comments her green eyes deep in thought.

"As your friend, I am telling you it would be terrible not to do it. This is too major to pass up."

"Are you really cool with this?" She asks me. "One word and I'll wait."

I swallow before smiling. "I am cool with it James."

She squeals at my response and tackle hugs me. "Alright then! I'll call them and let them know. At least we will both have our own rooms and we will obviously still meet up all the time."

"Absolutely! I am happy for you," I say to her.

She goes and grabs her phone and walks over to make the call. A pit of dread pools in my stomach, but I tell myself it is not the end of the world, I will just be on my own again. She ends the call and excitedly starts moving stuff around.

"This is amazing! They just told me I can move in by next Monday. They just have to transfer the paperwork since I already have housing," she informs me. "I am going to go pick up some boxes to help move out." I nod my head and when she grabs her keys I send a text in the group chat needing to leave.

Anyone want to get breakfast?

Jess offers to meet Becky at the coffeehouse and everyone agrees to string along. I walk the distance there and join them on the quilted couches. Jared already ordered a number of scones and muffins for us so I nab a blueberry scone before telling them Jamie's news.

"That's so exciting!" Jess answers. "Not everyone gets picked to live in the house. Lukas and Jared are the lucky ones who get to live in their fraternity houses," she exclaims.

"Yeah, tell her we said congrats!" Jared discloses, but then his bronze eyes drop. "Well, if she doesn't hate me." He bites his lip cautiously.

"She doesn't hate you," I reply knowing Jamie is already over it. Jared smiles attractively at that as he sits next to Jess, but not quite touching. I'll have to ask her how things are going, they seem to be acting normal, but Jess did mention she was going to give him a chance. Becky comes over in between serving and asks me to convey her happiness to her. I smile reassured that it is the right decision for Jamie to move out. Two muffins and a cappuccino later, I arrive back to an empty dorm so I dial up Sebastien.