Chapter 51: Attraction

New Year's Day

I blink awake, numbly staring at the ceiling for a few moments. Sighing, I roll over to my phone unlocking it. A burst of "Happy New Year" texts appear so I just toss my phone aside and skulk over to the bathroom washing both my face and teeth. I finish, dropping my toothbrush onto my counter staring into the mirror dejected. My night starts to unravel in my mind so I quickly tear my attention away suddenly with the urge to eat my feelings. Dragging myself over, I pop my fridge ajar. A blast of frigid air hits me and I take in all of the empty shelves with zero food. I clench my hands. I ask for one thing! Ugh!

Slamming it closed, I shove some shoes onto my feet grumbling, and savagely rip open my front door to search for a vending machine. But, immediately I stiffen. To my right, a slumped figure in a wrinkled leather jacket has his head in his hands. I still, instantly squeezing my eyes shut. I cautiously peek them open again, but dammit he's still there.

"Bash?" I whisper hesitantly. His body unfolds from his huddled position and those fiery blue orbs lock onto mine.

"Emma," he breathes relieved, and smoothly shoots up. He looks worse than normal, weathered down and with under-circles beneath his eyes, but he still appears better than when I first woke up.

"Yo-you stayed here all night?" I ask fidgeting with my pajama dress tee.

"I needed to talk to you."

I swallow, plastering a cool expression on my face. "It's fine, I understand. That whole thing never should have happened," I mutter detachedly.

His face drops. "I—" he clears his throat rubbing the nape of his neck. "I don't know what to say. God, I am such a selfish prick."

My gaze drops to the floor. "No, you're not," I respond.

"Don't defend me!" A loud crunch ripples the air and I glance up to find that he just punched the wall.

My eyes bulge. "Bash!" I shout in horror.

A neighbor with disheveled hair peers their head out the door and I frantically pull Bash inside to my dorm.

"Calm down!" I yell.

He is pacing nearly ripping his hair out with how forcibly he is running his fingers through it. He looks angry. How dare he? I am the one that deserves to be angry.

"Why are you the one angry," I snarl.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

I still cannot do this. "Ugh just get out!" I exclaim.

Bash stops in his tracks and I want to curl into myself at the devastated look that crosses his face.

"What? No, wait," he begs hoarsely. "Emma, I am sorry. I can't even look at myself right now, but please can we talk about this?"

"Everything is clear," I mutter stepping back putting space between us.

"Emma," his voice breaks.

"If you stay I am just going to yell at you," I spat at him.

"Then yell at me! I deserve it. I messed everything up!"

I turn away from him. I am so lost, I don't understand anything anymore.

"Fine. Why did you say you were jealous but then push me away?" I murmur not having the courage to look him in the eyes.

"What?" He says confused.

"You said you were jealous about the kiss and that you thought about me. Yet, you pushed me away when I kissed you. Was it because it wasn't what you expected?" I ask brittlely, my fingers wringing together in nerves.