It Comes Naturally

By nerdyflirtykari

Moving to a new town means nothing to some people but for Erica Hollis moving to a new country meant a lot. H... More

Prologue
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
Special Feature
14. - A Promise of Forever
A Promise of Forever
A Promise Of Forever
A Promise of Forever
15. - A Promise Of Forever
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
26.
27.
28.
29.
Bonus Chapter
30.
31.
32.
33.
Epilogue
Extra #1 - The Young Master

25.

2.9K 186 60
By nerdyflirtykari

Caribbean Island Dialect included.

Social circles were being ruined, the impossible being shed light, families probably choosing sides, a lot was going on in Spencer, but three people were in their own world under a certain roof. Taylor and her two admirers were enclosed in their cozy bubble. After a quiet and comfortable dinner on the enclosed patio, Alec was successful in having a dance with the girl who made his heart race and mind turn to mush. Their dance was no slow and romantic; it was a simple two-step with room to goof off. 
Trey sat on the sidelines, watching the two with a smile on his face. The playlist Alec chose shuffled to a popular TikTok song that made Taylor stop and laugh aloud. He chuckled when his best friend began to mouth the words. When the beat dropped to Vibe by Cookiee Kawaii, the two began to twerk in their own goofy way. Laughter filled the area, and it warmed his heart to see Taylor so carefree. He was scared for a moment when they arrived unexpectedly at her home that she would have sent them away. She admitted to them of their friends' hint of their arrival but was too far in her mind to give them a response.
Both Alec and himself planned for the night to be all about her, and it was working.

"Trey. Come on."

He raised an eyebrow at her demand; a cute pout settled on her face before she laughed at her silliness and ran towards him. Knowing what she was about to do, Trey opened his arms and accepted her lightweight on his lap with her slender arms curling around his torso. "Our little angel. Tired?" he asked softly. Alec approached them with a blanket in his hand and sat beside them. Taylor's next action made them optimistic about their future as a threesome. She instinctively placed her legs on Alec's lap and reached for his hand. The guys glanced at each other's way and shared a knowing smile. Her head was on Trey's shoulder; he boldly placed a kiss on her messy blonde hair and reveled in her warmth.

The trio stayed in silence for a few minutes until Taylor broke it. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, tesoro," Alec answered for them both. 

They went silent once more, but it wasn't awkward. Not one moment. "Wait for me," she whispered. Her hold on Alec's hand became tighter, her arm around Trey's torso pressed her slender frame closer to his, branding him. 
Alec moved forward, eradicating the space between them, and brushed his lips over her parted ones. The friends heard her shocked gasp then a blissful sigh when he did it again. "Stop teasing our angel," Trey voiced aloud. Taylor giggled at his admonishment; Alec retorted playfully and gave his blonde angel the kiss he wanted to give her all night, heck since he first met her. She raised her head from Trey's shoulder and allowed the man before her to heal her unseen wounds. Trey's presence upped the sense of security and care. As Alec answered her silent pleading for more, Trey's touch helped him in answering that call. 
Tears she thought were dried out escaped her eyes. The shaky breath she released against his lips turned out to be a sob. Alec slowly ended his kiss on her lips and reverently kissed away her tears. Trey gently turned her head to his and placed a chaste kiss on her heated cheeks, her forehead, then lips, telling her that everything will be alright. 

And she believed him. She believed both of them and their friends.

Trey kissed away her last tears, his eyes soft as he watched her. "We'll wait for you, no matter how long you take. We are yours," he said. He was speaking with his heart and not his mind.
Alec leaned further across and kissed her cheek, and moved to her neck. "We'll always be yours. Allow us to care for you. Be your strength. Can you do that for us, tesoro?" he asked of her.

"Yes. Yes, I can."

She allowed them to hold her, giving in to her grief that was mixed with happiness. She once thought the happiness was wrong because of her mother's death, but after re-reading the letter her mother left her earlier, she finally understood. Her freedom and new experiences in Spencer was her mother's last gift of love. A gift she was unable to give for so long after being trapped under that man's tyranny. Harem helped with banishing memories. The girls gave her back her teenage life, and the two guys who now held her gave her back her confidence and self-worth. They made her feel whole, beautiful, worthy of happiness, and a strong woman. Each interaction with them mended the pieces she thought was lost. 

      ' ...... grab your happiness with both hands, my sweet girl, and never let it go. If anyone dares to take that away from you, you fight. You're our little fighter. You had to fight alone to keep your head above water, but you're no longer alone. I know the Kertalis' will protect you in a way I couldn't. This is your freedom and happiness. Live for it......'

Taylor's clutched onto Alec and Trey, her happiness, she will never let them go, and knowing they will wait for her made everything in her world right once more. "Thank you for tonight," she said after her crying subsided. 

"Anything for you, angel. All we want is to see you smile," Trey returned.

A blush took over her face when she gave them a smile they wanted. Both guys kissed each cheek and held onto her. That is what they were aiming for. Their girl was healing. "Oh, and thank you for the great outfits. Most of my clothes, since I got here, have been jeans and t-shirts. Is there anything you guys aren't good at?" she said excitedly.

"Maybe," Alec said with a cheeky grin. He glanced at Trey, who simply rolled his eyes. They owed Erica something more than her favorite cheesecake. She helped made their angel smile. 

                                                                                 **********

"I can stay if you like. I can..."

"I good, you doh have to do that. Text mih when yuh reach home."

Elijah stood on the front stop of Erica's house, watching her and listening to car doors being shut behind him. He was the only one who was reluctant to leave. After the incident with her cousins, things have been a bit tense. The neighbors wanted to know the story but respected Julius' need for some sort of calm. Erica's aunt went into a rightful hysterical mode and gathered her daughters. Shian had to receive medical treatment due to the result of Erica's rage. Anika wasn't truly harmed, only bruised. The girls were able to delete the video and whatever photos she took of Erica and Elijah. Julius accompanied his sister to the hospital in silent fury, leaving Erica to host the little get together. The adults knew it made her uneasy and excused themselves. 
The friends helped her clean up after enjoying the food she made for them. No matter how long they tried to cheer her up, the strain on the night's event was still hovering over her. The girls took action and declared their 'lime' to be picked up on another day and suggested they leave. Erica began to protest, but it was weak. That wasn't their friend. Elijah has kept an eye on her since then.

"Ayanna suggested lunch at her place after we all have a good bit of sleep in. I'll pick you up around eleven," he said, stepping into her personal space. He frowned when he didn't hear her playful admonishment of being suffocated by his cologne or his smothering hugs. Her eyes were distant; though he was in her line of vision, she didn't see him. Elijah didn't want to leave but knew she needed space after the drama that went down tonight. Thanks to his sister and the others in their family, he understood the need to get one's emotions in order and decide on the next step. 
Slowly he pulled her into his arms and waited for her to return his hug. "Sorry," she mumbled against his chest.

"It's alright, baby. Do what you have to do. Text me if you don't feel like talking much. I'll see you tomorrow." 

She nodded and burrowed her face deeper into his chest, and released a heavy sigh after clutching onto him tighter. Elijah gently nudged her cheek, to which she responded by turning her head to meet his lips. The two weren't in a hurry. Slowly they took their soft kiss of goodbye, allowing their feelings for each other to be felt. "We may not know the future, but know that I chose to be with you with my true feelings backing that decision. Remember that," he murmured against her lips.

"The words still dey," she responded. He knew what she was pertaining to; he too can't forget her cousin's crude words.

"And it will be for a while, but they aren't true. You're my girl. Mine," he added, kissing her soft lips once more.

"Ah like being yours."

Elijah chuckled against her lips before kissing them chastely and adding a few more to her cheeks and head. "I like being yours too. Thanks for cooking for us tonight; expect requests from me for school lunches," he teased.

"We go see bout dat. Go and drive safe." Relief ran through his body to hear her little laugh and playful admonishment. His Erica was strong, a bit down for the count but strong.

"Fine," he grumbled, stealing a kiss from her. Her laughter followed him all the way to his ride; looking over his shoulder, he was, for the millionth time that night of how naturally gorgeous his girl was. Hair in a messy bun, loose sweats, and oversized t-shirt with fuzzy house slippers on, she was still beautiful in his eyes. She blew a kiss for him in which he caught swiftly and placed it by his heart. He loved the corny side to her, it showed how comfortable she was with him, and that's one of the basics of a good relationship. Entering his SUV, he took a deep breath and kept telling himself to drive straight home; she was going to be okay.

Erica watched on in the house as Elijah disappeared from her sight, and the neighborhood street was quiet once again. The quiet of the house made her mind recap every word said that night; her altercation with Shian was like a trigger to everything she kept locked since she arrived in the US. Her vulnerability took hold of her body; she locked the door behind her and entered the living room. Sitting at the armchair near the landline, she found the little notebook she wrote a few numbers that she may need to use. The logical part of her mind that was now dead to the thought of having a mother who's alive wanted her to stop what she was doing. The other part of her mind and also her heart that yearned for that love pushed her.

The latter won.

Erica dialed the number with shaky fingers and placed the handset to her ear. Nervousness set in when the loud ringing began; it wasn't long before the phone was answered by that familiar strong, and husky female voice. 

"Moore Residence."

Gone was her brash dialect; replacing it was a duplicate of her aunt's covered accent.

"Mammy?"

"Erica? Wuh you doing calling here so late for?"

In the blink of an eye, she was back to being the mother Erica recognized.
"Ah wanted to know how allyuh doin'? Yuh didn't call since we land nah so..... yeah."

"De phone works both ways plus ah was busy. Yuh with ya father, so I doh have to fight up with you anymore. An' yuh good? I doh see why I have to check up on you," her mother said in a condescending tone. Her last question wasn't meant to be answered. Any smart remark or simple reply was considered disrespectful. Erica knew when to speak and be the polite daughter, but her emotions were unstable. She couldn't swallow the answer that was pushing to be released.

"Of course ah good, mih father taking care of mih and making sure ah doing just fine."

"Who you talking back to? Doh feel you ah ah grown woman up here inno...." Charlene Moore began in a clearly flustered tone. Erica never spoke back to her; she has always been the daughter to never step a toe over the line.

"Now yuh wanna be a mother? Yuh ain't even call to ask if ah get through wid school or if ah alive. I bet if you ain't see Giselle fuh a day, yuh will call down she phone. I nuh yuh daughter too? Like yuh couldn't wait to get rid of mih. Why yuh didn't send me up here long time ago?" Erica wasn't backing down. The more questions that spilled out, the more worked up she got. Being ill-treated in her own home and watching her sister being treated one way and her an entirely different way came back. Sneaking calls to her father, begging him to take her only for him to say he couldn't. She often asked him to explain why, but he deflected it by saying when she was older. She spent more time outside of her house in Tobago when her mother began to blame her for missing things and messes she didn't know anything about. Lies were told about her from her sister Giselle which resulted in numerous beatings. She didn't understand then, and she certainly didn't understand now. 

"Ah have no time wid you an' yuh shit. Yuh too fucking ungrateful after I see bout yuh. Useless. Doh bother mih soul-case dis hour ah de night eh."

Erica had no chance to reply; her mother abruptly ended the call leaving her with the sound of the dial tone buzzing in her ear. Mechanically, she placed the handset back in its cradle and retreated to her bedroom. Lost in her own grief and failure to understand why her mother treated her that way, she began cleaning to keep herself sane. Her cousins' weekend bag was hastily packed and thrown out into the hall, followed by a fast-paced cleaning of the room. Fresh sheets were placed on the bed; garbage was thrown out, books rearranged, vanity cleared, and rearranged. Everything was being done at a pace that warranted no thoughts; she was chasing away the hurtful things both her mother and sister said to her over the years. Tears she had no idea that was spilling from her eyes soaked her heated cheeks. In her closet, she began to rearrange her clothes until her muscles burned from the overexertion. A sob was lodged in her throat; unable to keep her emotions at bay, the dam burst. Erica fell to her knees, crying, her heart aching at the reality of being unwanted by her own mother. 

Mothers were to love their children no matter what; no child was to be favored over the other. Erica truly didn't understand. Why didn't her mother like her at least? She found herself jealous of her friends when they spoke of their mother in such a heavenly light in passing. She even began to cling to Elijah's mother, who always sends her a message through her son or extra lunch she prepared for her family. 
Why wasn't she able to have some sort of motherly love or bond? Why?
Lost to the world, Erica didn't hear her phone ring, nor was she aware of her current position. She cried herself to sleep that night, surrounded by her clothes from Tobago in the confines of the closet. 

                                                                ********

Julius Hollis arrived home with a headache, disappointment on his shoulders, and worry on his mind. The house was quiet. The kitchen and hallway lights were on, he expected his daughter to be awake and waiting for him, but he let that go when he entered the kitchen. She cleaned and packed away the food, the dining room was spotless, and checking the last room, the living room, he knew she was fast asleep by then. It was nearing 2 AM as he trudged to the short hallway, rubbing his eyes in tiredness, he felt himself toppling forward. Cursing to himself, he propped himself up on the floor and eyed the two weekend bags at his feet. "Less talk in de morning, yes," he said as he got to his feet. His deduction was quick; Erica threw them out of her personal space. Wanting to check on her, he slowly opened her room door, expecting to encounter darkness, but the room was brightly lit. The first thing he zeroed on was the pristine and neat bed, but where was his daughter? An inkling of panic settled on his mind; where could she be? Outside was empty also. Did she leave with Elijah? No, she would have called. So many things ran through his mind in less than seven seconds.

"Erica?" he called out. 
Stepping further into the room and looking around, it wasn't long for him to see her bare feet at the entrance of the closet. Confused as to why she was in there and not answering, he approached the doors. Opening them wider, he found her asleep on clothes she brought to the states, clutching onto a hoodie tightly. The frown on his face deepened when he saw the tear tracks on her cheeks. Kneeling beside her, he gently shook her awake. "Come on, time for bed," he repeated twice in a tone loud enough for her to hear. She stirred in her sleep, turning to the sound of his voice. "Daddy?" she called out. Sleep muddled her mind; slightly opening her eyes, she found her father beside her with a worried look on his face.

"Bedtime," he answered and helped her to her feet. Julius chuckled as she stumbled beside him and unceremoniously fell onto her bed when they got close enough. Through heavy-lidded eyes, Erica watched on as her father neatened the closet and returned to her side. He knew something was wrong, and it wasn't her swollen eyes. He knew his daughter, her cheery demeanor wasn't there. Julius wanted to ask her about it but didn't know how to broach the subject. He just learned how to talk about one's feelings, it was hard to break that mold you grew into. In a Caribbean household, things like expressing feelings and helping each other emotionally weren't taught. Migrating to the states, he learned how to do so by witnessing it by friends he met, now doing it himself was a challenge.

"Ah call she."

Relief and trepidation met in his body, Erica didn't have to elaborate; once again, he knew. 

"Why?"

"Cuz... ah don't know why nah. Maybe I just wanted answers and as soon as she start up with she behavior it all clicked," she answered. Sitting up, she eyed her father who now had the most broken expression on his face.  Over the years, she kept her findings to herself and let it all be. Silently she was waiting for her mother to treat her like a daughter but tonight she concluded that it will never happen.

"What clicked?" her father asked keeping his head low. It was coming, he knew she will figure it all out. 

"Dat she keep me away from yuh intentionally."

Julius got to his feet and began to pace.
"De courts always side with mothers, one sad story and they come out on top. Since she told me about you, I've been trying to get custody of you but she keep making up stories to be in de court favor. Ah handle she on my own until she asked for more child support. Yuh was around eight and Giselle was about to go to secondary school. I fight fuh custody again and she won. Ah didn't let she get to me, any bad move and I will lose all rights to you. Yuh know how happy I was when you called me on yuh own when you got yuh own phone. It ease up some of my stress. Between talks with you and the demanding calls from her, I realize she was using the money I sent for you on she husband and child....."

"That's why you make up dat account for me," she said in realization.

"Yes. I know if you had your own money, yuh will know how to handle yuh scenes, I just had to hold on."

The two stayed quiet once more. Erica was fully awake now. The puzzle pieces were coming together and the picture that was forming wasn't one she liked. "Yuh pay she to get me ent?" she said quietly. 
Julius couldn't answer, but he would do so in a heartbeat if he had to do it again. He had his daughter within reach after so many years. His own flesh and blood. His little girl.
"Ah know she alone couldn't afford all that cash in our money fuh four US Visas and still got enough for plane tickets. Not even dat alone, money to get where dey are right now. She husband always bawling dat he have no money but Giselle always in de latest," she continued shaking her head in disbelief. 

"Long story short, I get you. I made sure you get your citizenship but they will have to work fuh theirs. Yes, ah paid for them to come to the US with help from de family but it's all so you can be with us. I wasn't letting she leave you alone in Tobago. To speed things up, I did what I have to do," he said impatiently. Thinking of what that woman would have done if he didn't make that quick decision will always agitate him. Yes, he practically paid for his daughter and it was all worth it. 

"She ask yuh fuh help since she come to the states?"

"Twice but I ignore she. I don't know why she ain't ask she husband. Still can't believe she was married all dat time inno," Julius replied. Sucking his teeth in annoyance he returned to his daughter's side. "Ah don't know how to do this father thing properly yet but ah want yuh here. Okay? Don't study what happened tonight with yuh cousins. Leh we just say, dem is a bad batch. Your new family are happy to meet you. Ah know dey will hear about this and will want to make sure you good. Yuh good right?"

"Yes, daddy, ah good," she answered with a grin. Julius sighed, he can once again feel her happiness though the shadows are still swirling in her eyes. It will be hard to accept that your mother is now a stranger after wanting her acceptance for so long.

"Nice. Now go back too sleep. Ah sure yuh friends have something planned fuh yuh tomorrow, well later."

"Yeah. We going by Ayanna to continue de lime."

"Wah time? Ah don't want ah repeat of tonight. Mih head hurtin' bad," he griped.

"Around eleven ah think. Elijah will call and remind me."

Julius smiled at the mention of the kid's name. He was happy she was accepted wholly, the genuine affections Elijah had for Erica were seen and it was the sweetest thing to witness. "Okay. Good night," he said softly. She got settled under the covers and watched on as her father checked the windows and neatened her room before hovering at her door. 

"Yuh could talk to me if yuh feel like. Up here, it's okay to unburden yaself. No one judges you for your worries and feelings. Ah sure your friends teach you dat already," he said with a smile.

"Yeah. It felt weird at first when dey start to talk about personal stuff then I realized dat its normal to be open and honest 'bout stuff."

"It is. Get some sleep. Later," he returned ending their conversation. Closing her door, he leaned heavily against it and allowed the frustration of his journey to have his daughter with him to go free. The tears fell in rivulets on his face as the pain, the anger, all of it simply went away. He thought his actions will be frowned upon by her but she understood how much he really wanted her. The promises he made to her were being fulfilled on a daily. He can now give her a life filled with a parent's love in a stable environment. Her social life was steady and now her home life was on its way to being calm. Her mother's rejection will take some time but he knew she will make it.  After all, she was his daughter, strong and capable of handling any stumbling block.
Julius trudged to his room while drying his eyes, thanking the God above for clearing the path for him. He will always be grateful.

                                                                         ********

Morning has shown its face and Spencer's sleepy town was about to be hit with another wave of memorable drama. Years ago the breakdown of ex-mayor Bronson and his family was publicly viewed and now another family, possibly more than one will be in the town's bad historical moments. It was still early in the morning and one person was finally making his way back home. 
Shutting off his car, Mischa Johnson rubbed his eyes tiredly and tried to get his bearings straight to get out. At that moment he was regretting that after-party, he took one too many drinks, and now all he craved was a shower and his bed. The morning air was crisp which woke him up long enough to enter his home. The door's opening was too loud, even his footsteps were too loud, Mischa wanted a quiet escape but the house was working against him. 
He focused on walking quietly through the foyer and towards the staircase, thinking he was home free but he was genuinely surprised to see his uncle calmly waiting on him. 
Eli Johnson eyed his nephew over the brim of his coffee mug. He couldn't say a word because he had no idea what to say. Yes, the kid lived under his roof and is now a high school senior, but he never stopped him from having fun. Teenage type of fun. Janine has been worried about him and to be honest, he was too. The trio he watched grew up, was no longer. Elijah and Harem are at a loss as to what's going on in their cousin's mind. Something was up with Mischa.

"Goodmorning uncle."

"Good morning. I see that you're home safe, no scratches or blood," Eli answered.

Mischa gave him a nod and shifted nervously on his feet. The two became silent once more, for a few seconds before it was broken. This was a first. The two had a great relationship but lately, the family felt Mischa distancing himself from them. "Is everything alright? Are you in trouble?" 

"I'm fine, uncle, everything is fine. Just some senior year fun," Mischa replied.

"Is that so? Something's gotta give because Professor Costas and I are now on a first-name basis thanks to you. Also, I think I'm too old to be watching high school amateur porn starring my nephew. It's six in the morning on a Sunday and this is the first time I'm seeing you in a week. I see my site manager more than my own nephew who lives in the same house as me. Please explain this, Mischa. Your aunt is worried, Shaye always comments on your moods, and the boys are clearly avoiding you. Prove me wrong, kid. Give me explanations for all of that."

No answer.

"It's just me and you. No one else is around," Eli pressed.

"No big deal, alright. I feel its time to break away from the group, we won't be together after Spring so I'm enjoying myself from now," Mischa returned.

"Enjoying yourself."

"Yes. Aunt J and yourself did wish for us to enjoy our senior year. Be normal teenagers," he replied with a shrug of his shoulders.
Eli didn't know what to make of this version of Mischa, he does seem darker in personality and off-putting. What happened to his nephew?
Rising from the stairs, he stepped towards the teen but immediately stepped back. The stench coming off him was enough to make him choke. How much did he drink? "We do want you all to enjoy yourselves but not if it may result in your death or someone else's. Did you drive home?"

"Yes." The answer came sharply with a hint of annoyance. Mischa wasn't in the mod nor the right frame of mind to have a civil conversation with his uncle. All he wanted was his bed and to be left alone. 

Eli took note of the teen's appearance,  the telltale signs of an all-night binger were there. Bloodshot eyes, rumpled clothes, unsteady posture, and the reek of alcohol release from his body.
"Hand me your keys."

"What? Why? Are you finally being a grown-up and going to punish me for some little makeout sessions in school," his nephew sneered.

Eli's widen in shock.  That quickly turned into disbelief then anger. "Those makeout sessions you called violate the school rules. We're lenient with you kids because we trust you all but I guess that trust is certainly wasted on you. Fucking in empty classrooms. Exposing yourself and your companion in public. Skipping classes. Disrupting some of those classes. Falling back on your work. To top it all off, driving while intoxicated. We taught you better than that Mischa. Now. Hand over your keys or I really act on your parents' conditions," Eli returned heatedly. The last part caught Mischa's attention. 

He kept his nose clean since he got here. There was no way he was going back to Colorado, his fighting back in middle school stemmed from the status his parents held there. He was always being bullied because of his unclaimed wealth and his peers finding a fault in whatever he did. They were petty about his lifestyle when all he wanted was to be left alone. Moving to Spencer with his cousins was a chance to get away from the Johnson name simply. Elijah was his cover here, he was simply the equally rich cousin always in the background. He liked it this way. Part of the promise he made with his folks was to simply make the right choices and not be in trouble with the school or the law. 

"Whatever," he muttered throwing his keys his uncle's way.

"You'll be chauffeured for two weeks by your aunt. All classes are to be attended from now on and you will be now on her exterior design crew. Since you have a lot of energy to spare, some manual labor will do you some good."

"WHAT?! How can you..." he shouted, ready to fight for a new option to his punishment. He didn't dare explain to them what was really going on. It was too embarrassing and silly in his book. Something like this shouldn't be bugging him but it has been, for months. He wanted it all to go away and it was working so far. 

"You better lower that base in your voice, little boy."

The steely warning didn't come from his uncle but he wished it was. The man's cold glare matched his wife's warning perfectly. Mischa turned to the stairs and met the angry gaze of his aunt. He stepped back in fear not knowing what her next action will be. In all his years of living with her, he never saw her angry. Never. He saw her slightly upset but never angry. No smile on her face, her body tense and ready to go into action if it calls for. The lack of warmth in her eyes made him feel like shit. He loved his aunt's looks of adoration as she dotes on him. That aunt wasn't present at the moment and it was his fault. 

"Yes, ma'am," he muttered before lowering his head. 

"Go take a shower. You smell like the bottom of an empty whisky bottle. I expect you back down in an hour to have our Sunday morning family breakfast. Do you understand?" she continued in the same steely tone.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Apologize to your uncle."

Mischa turned to Eli, the guilt clearly in his eyes as he numbly apologized. Both his aunt and uncle watched on as he made his escape to his room. 

Moments later, Eli nursed his second cup of coffee in the kitchen as he kept his wife company. The banging of the pots and pans, sharp cutting of ingredients, and her low mutters showed how truly agitated she was. 
"It's embarrassing. Extremely embarrassing to have him act like Spencer's very own teenage gigolo and copping a damn attitude with it. What's gotten into him?" she voiced aloud.

"The boys said it was probably personal. They too don't know what to make of his drastic change or maybe they do and not too sure how to say it. Costas said if he messes up one more time the suspension will be issued, special treatment won't be given. Eric will flip if he catches wind of this. We weren't raised this way and we sure as hell taught each boy to respect women and treat them right through the whole courting phase. Where did we go wrong, baby?" Eli roughly ran his hand through his graying brown hair. He was at a loss of what to do. What could he do? Janine couldn't answer because she too didn't know what to do. They both tried to talk to him in a composed manner but he refused to tell them what's going on in that head of his.
The two got lost in their thoughts and into the prepping of their family breakfast. Eli pitched in wherever he was needed. Working side by side calmed them both.

"Morning mama. Morning dad."

The sound of Elijah's sleepy voice broke their bubble but it somehow formed once again when their little boy silently snuggled into his mom's arms, wanting to cuddle for a while. "Big baby," Eli teased. 

"I'm fine with that," his son retorted. Janine simply held him in her arms and sent a smile her husband's way. She couldn't help but remember the days when he will simply crawl into their laps for cuddle time then running off to do whatever he comes up with during that time. 

"Thanks, mama." He stepped out of her arms and went about setting the patio table for their breakfast.

"Set one more for Mischa."

Elijah paused at the cabinet for a moment then went back to setting the table. "Sweetie, are you..."Janine began.

"It's all on him, mama. There's no bad blood between us. His decisions simply set the whole position of our relationship. If he wants to do his own thing, who are we to stop him. We just... never mind," Elijah said cutting off the question his mother was about to ask.

"Just?" Eli pressed.

Groaning in defeat and knowing his folks won't let up he finished his sentence. "We just wish Ayanna wasn't the one to be affected by it the most."

Janine's eyes widen, she caught on quickly. "Holy shit. Oooooo. Shit." Two different expressions were heard and it explained everything without him having to say much.

"Yup."

Eli caught on and voiced his sympathy. "Poor girl. Couldn't he say it in words than be a douche about it?"

"Apparently not," Elijah muttered. It was a dick move on his cousin's part to become a man whore, his way of deterring Ayanna and any girl who wants to get closer to him. The damage was done but from what he saw last night, Ayanna was moving on from him. He wonders what will be Mischa's reaction to seeing her with another guy. 

"I think I will invite him to hang with us today."

His father groaned in unease, after seeing the gleam in his son's eyes. It was the same gleam he saw countless times in his wife's eyes and Shaye's. Whatever the kid was planning won't be good. Janine was bouncing on her toes wanting to know the plan. 

"Thank heavens Marielle is the only sane child I fathered." 

                                                                         *******

"No need to freak out. We are all grown-ass adults."

Ayanna wore the most exasperated look on her face even when her words were meant to be encouraging. It was thirty minutes to the hour and Elijah texted her with the most unsettling news. 

Mischa was tagging along. 

Seeing him in passing in the school halls was fine but to have him here in her house after one too many indecent exposures that tested her sanity.  It wasn't long since she decided to cut her losses. She did enjoy the little group date with Callum but that was with the whole 'out of sight, out of mind' concept happening.  She liked the guy but wonder if it was just a first time thing. Today's hangout will be bigger so hopefully, there will be enough things to keep her away from Mischa and focus on Callum. Even if its just to wet her feet in the dating pool. 

'He made his choice. You have no obligation to him. You never did.' Her subconscious was one level headed woman.

"That's true. No obligation. It was a simple kiss. No need to expect more," she said to herself. This time she believed her words. 
Checking over her outfit of a casual baggy sweater, leggings, and cozy socks, she ventured down to the kitchen to check on the dish she had in the oven for her friends. It was the last of the dishes she finished by herself. Her mother helped earlier before both she and her stepfather left for the rest of the day. They wanted to give her some space with her friends. 
Checking the drinks, the doorbell rang, and by the voices that carried, she knew who it was. 

"Come in," she shouted. 

Greetings were yelled from the door which continued to the kitchen. "Next time please answer the door yourself," Trey gently admonished her. The group's protector.

"I will," she returned, hiding her smile into his shoulder when he hugged her. 

"You girls will give him a heart attack. He has been 'complaining of safety measures under his breath while walking in," Alec joked, pulling her into a hug next. She laughed under her breath knowing she was in for one of his warnings again later.  Not waiting, she pulled Taylor into a tight hug, no words were said but both girls felt the silent words passing between them. 
"Thank you," Taylor whispered after an assuring squeeze. 

"We're practically family now."

Stacia was next, Ayanna took to teasing her about her budding relationship with Harem which gave the boys their cue to leave the kitchen. Knowing how always prepared they were, she knew they were setting up the living area for either movie watching or a simple hangout for lunch. 
The three were simply chatting and setting out the large dishes in the dining room when the bell rang again. This time she let Trey answered the door, not wanting a double dose of his warnings. 
Raine peeked into the room seconds later before launching herself at her friends. Ayanna was happy to see this side of her. They all knew she was still harboring feelings for Travis but was bravely cutting her losses. It gave her the confidence to do the same with Mischa. 

"Callum is parking at the moment. He had something to pick up," Raine announced while trying to sneak a piece of meat off a dish. The slap on her wrist she received from Stacia was comedic. The redhead wasn't bold with them but seeing her do this was amusing. She was getting comfortable with them. 
"But I'm hungry," Raine whined.

"Erica isn't here yet," Stacia commented. The mention of their friend sobered the group. "Elijah said he will tell us if she's still out of it. To think her cousins were harboring all of that on someone they barely knew," Raine voiced softly.

"Why should she be judged by her father's efforts and her background? It's pretty messed up when she too has the same background as her mom. It may sound weird coming from me but that's being whitewashed. I hope she comes over. I wanna thank her," Taylor said getting angry on her new friend's behalf.

"For?" Ayanna asked.

"For this," the blonde said showing off her new girly outfit. Her friends' eyes widen then grew curious when she called them closer. "The boys bought them for me plus the cutest dinner outfit for our special date last night. I put two and two together when I remembered the picture Erica posted of them in the group chat. They're just the sweetest," she gushed.

"I think Erica wins. They are going to come out sooner than we think," Ayanna said abruptly. Curses of defeat came from Stacia and Raine leaving Taylor slack-jawed. "You guys have a pool going on?" she said in disbelief.
The three laughed nervously and gave her identical cheesy grins. "Unbelievable. Do they know? Of course they don't. They will surely have something to say about this," Taylor huffed."TREY! ALEC!"
To their surprise, both boys ran into the room seconds later looking frantically around for any sign of danger to Taylor. 

"Yup, she totally won," Raine muttered.
"Damn," Taylor whispered in her quiet shock.

"What's wrong, tesoro? Girls?" Alec asked approaching them with his eyes on Taylor only.

"Uhhh. Ummm. Yeah. Can you tell the others, we're waiting on Elijah and Erica to start lunch?" she said stumbling over her words.

"Sure thing, angel," Trey answered for them both. He gave her a bright smile and left the room, Alec followed his friend giving Taylor a smile over his shoulder.

"Did he..." Ayanna asked dumbfoundedly.

"Yup. He smiled. Our cold prince smiled," Raine replied in awe. 

"I guess waiting is meaningless," Taylor said to herself. The girls watched as her face turned red with a giddy smile forming on her lips.

"Oh sorry for interrupting. I came to say hi to Ayanna."

The little group turned to the entrance once more, this time it was the enamored football player waiting for an audience with Ayanna.

"Who's that? Is that her boyfriend? He's cute," Taylor asked way too loudly. 

"Get her out," she groaned in embarrassment.

"Right." Both Raine and Stacia pulled a reluctant Taylor out of the room who was asking for details. 
"Sorry about that. Thanks for coming."

"It's okay. I was happy that you extended the invite to me. I had a great time with you last night even when I had to play interloper with the live Saturday Night Brawl," he returned. 

"Not my best moment but it had to be filmed," she commented with a silly grin on her face. Callum stepped forward and presented her with a purple bakery box.
"You mentioned how much you loved cakes from scratch because you can actually taste the baker's passion. I asked my sister to put together her favorite cakes for you."
Ayanna's eyes widen in delight. During their talk of his sister being a pastry chef at one of the town's restaurants, he mentioned. Idly she commented on wanting to try her cakes, she didn't expect it to be so soon.
"Thank you. I didn't... wow. I hope it wasn't too much hassle."

"I may not really know but she was excited when I ask for some reason. She's a weird older sister so I brushed it off."

She laughed knowing just what his sister may be thinking. She had four of them who do the same for their group. "Thank you so much. Everyone will love..."

"They are for you personally. I got a box of assorted cupcakes for everyone," he corrected. The blush on her face was now misbehaving. It was lovely of him to do so. She didn't realize she was standing in the same spot holding the box like the most precious thing to life lost in his blue eyes. 
"I like your eyes."
Ayanna groaned in exasperation, those weren't the words she meant to say. He wasn't supposed to hear those words. What was she supposed to say? It was clearly forgotten the moment they got trapped in their stare-off. 
"What is wrong with you? You can do this," she muttered to herself before looking back at Callum. It didn't help when he had the most adorable smile on his face with that sexy tilt of his head. He was slowly killing her and didn't know it.

"Nothing is wrong with you," he said stepping closer to her.

"I'm getting over a crush on one of my friends who made it clear that he doesn't return my feelings. I'm new to flirting and talking to boys outside of my group. I'm a major book nerd who needs her friends to be bold in public. I find you unbelievably hot, really cool, sweet and so down to earth which is probably A class in teen boys by my standards. I want to date but I'm scared cuz it's senior year and shit can happen. Definitely don't want to get my hopes up so I'm incredibly nervous. Yeah, now I'm nervous because I like you and don't know what to do with that realization...."
Her last words were cut off by Callum pulling her into his arms with the cake box between them. What he did next made her mind go to mush. He didn't go for her lips but for the corner which he lingered for a moment. 
"I like you too."

"Oh."

Once again she was speechless. 

Callum chuckled and took the cake box from her. "Kitchen that way?" he asked gesturing to the little passageway between the rooms.

"Uh. Yeah."

He kissed her cheek once more before disappearing into the kitchen. 

"Told yuh we should have bet on dis."

Erica's complaint brought her out of her daze. Turning to the entrance that's when she noticed all four girls peeking into the room. "He likes me," Ayanna softly squealed and rushed towards them. The girls joined her in her mini celebration as they all toppled onto the floor giving her their own words of encouragement at the same time. 

"You came." 

Erica grinned at her new friend who now had her in a suffocating hug. "Yeah. Cyah let allyuh down," she returned. Her grin turned into a full-on belly laugh when the others joined in on the hug. 

"No crushing of my girlfriend!" Elijah shouted from the living area. 

"I'm hungry. Yaya feed me," Harem whined walking towards. 

"Ughhh fine. Help us up." Before she can reach for Harem's offered hand, an arm snaked around her waist. Looking over her shoulder, the blushing face of Callum was so close to hers. He picked her up effortlessly then placed her gently on her feet. "So is he her boyfriend now?" Taylor asked. Again she was too loud. 
"Not now, Tay," Stacia hissed. 
Callum's chuckle covered Ayanna's low curses as she rushed back into the dining room. "You guys. Food!" Raine shouted. 
In seconds the room was filled with the friends passing dishes around and joking around. "We got a movie ready to play," Trey shouted over the ruckus. 

"Elijah get the drinks from the freezer."

"On it."

"Paper towels?"

"In the kitchen."

"Where're the ribs?"

"Hey, you can't be greedy with that."

"Doh be looking on my plate eh."

"..... but I don't want any greens."

"I'm a growing boy, Raine."

It was a wild scene in her dining room and Ayanna loved it. The bickering, the stolen moments between the couples, the considerate actions by the guy who was stuck to her side, and bonds were being strengthened during the melee for food. She knew this will be one of her favorite memories in her senior year. 
"I'll bring your plate, don't worry." Callum's soft offer made her smile even more. 

"Thanks." Grabbing their utensils, she turned under his raised arms laughing at his teasing. Making a step towards the entrance, she abruptly stopped seeing Mischa leaning against the door frame watching them all like a stranger. 

"Hey, Mischa. Aren't you fixing yourself a plate?" she asked continuing her exit. His eyes shifted between her and Callum before settling on the guy handling two plates of food.

"Yeah. Who are you?" he rudely asked.

"My guest. This is Callum a friend of ours," Ayanna answered sharply.

"Friend of ours? I've never met him so how can he be our friend and why is he all over you? On second thought, why is he here?"

"Callum can you secure a spot for us on the sofa. I need to have a talk with my 'friend' about something." The cold tone of her voice silenced everyone. Mischa was the only one who didn't realize what he did. He was too busy eyeing Callum and being more of a douche. Ayanna was visibly upset and humiliated by his actions. Grabbing him by the neck of his t-shirt, she pulled him harshly towards the kitchen and exited through the back door. 
"What do you want?" she asked calmly.

"Wh-?"

"What do you want Mischa? I get it. You're not looking for a relationship nor are you ready to be emotionally tied to someone. You've shown me that countless times. It was a simple kiss between friends, nothing more. After weeks of being a grade-A ass to each one of us, you're here. In MY home. You don't get to come here and humiliate me in front of my friend. You have no right to ask why he's welcomed here. So.... what do you want?"

"I came to hang out with my friends, not strangers. If he's a friend, why the fuck is he flirting with you and you return the same shit. You have other male friends and they don't do that. Is he your little boyfriend?" he pushed. Why was he so aggressive to her? Mischa was confused by his actions and couldn't help but say the words that came to his mind.

"You're the stranger Mischa. Who Callum is to me is none of your business. You changed on us because of some shit you can't handle and I don't appreciate your attitude."

He stumbled backward thinking of how transparent his actions were. They all knew and didn't say a word? Did they know of his feelings for her? Feelings he thought were gone?

"I've known you since we were kids. You deal with personal problems by acting out in a very destructive way. It hurt that you went to those lengths to push me away and get rid of whatever it was that was bugging you. I totally could of do without you flaunting the type of girls you were attracted to. Way to break a girl's confidence." The laugh she gave covered the sob that formed in her throat, she was trying hard not to cry. She did enough of that over him. On top of that, she didn't want to put him on the spot of possibly having feelings for her only to be proven wrong. Move on.

Yes, that's what she's doing.

"I'm fine with it all. I hope we can all go back to how we were with you in the midst."

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't know what to do and that was the first thing that came to my mind. I should have... shit...."

"It's fine Mischa," she said firmly. Giving him a carefree smile, she re-entered the kitchen and made a beeline for the living area. She was that hungry. Callum's worried look was the first she spotted. Quickly she occupied the spot next to him and waited patiently as he helped her become comfortable to eat.

"That's the friend huh?" he asked softly.

"Yeah but I promise it's all over with now."

"That's good for my overthinking mind." He kissed her cheek once more and returned to the conversation at hand. A few minutes later, Mischa entered the room. "I'm heading out. See you guys in school tomorrow. I'll find my way home, don't worry about it," he said quickly when Harem was about to protest. He turned to Ayanna and held her gaze. "I'm really sorry."

No one said a word, they all watched as he left. It was his choice to leave. The friends wondered what the two spoke about for him to apologize and look so defeated. 
"Time for the movie. When he's ready he will come to us," Trey said calmly. Harem had the remote which was a good choice, they tend to fight for it when gathered. He was the mediator. The chosen movie was Old Guard. Perfect. An action movie with a badass female was perfect to distract everyone.

"Babe. You want yuh phone? It going off real plenty here," Erica said from across the room. Elijah was seated on the floor between her legs, comfortable as ever. 

"Probably the group chats for the soccer team," he answered distracted.

"Kage, your phone is going crazy too," Raine commented nudging him with her foot. "I'm eating. See who it is," he answered mid-chew of a forkful of pasta.  The girls glanced her way with raised eyebrows. 
"Passcode?"

"No passcode. Dude open it. The pings are getting so annoying now," he groused. 

"Don't rush me," she returned.

Sliding open the phone, she found the messages quite easily, notifications were coming in at a wild pace. Clicking one she was moved to the chat where she saw only responses in all Capslock. "The hell? Derek? Shaun? What video? OH MY GOD! Hold my drink." Kage quickly took it and watched on as she backtracked in the messages and find whatever she was looking for. When she pressed play everyone can hear the sounds of moaning and the background music.

"Is that porn? Really Kage?" Taylor commented from across the room.

"Uhhhh it's definitely porn and we know the stars."

"Oh fuck, Shaun. I love you so much. Shit." 

Everyone froze upon recognizing the voice and the name, who the hell didn't. Not in a million years or scenarios, or what have you did they think of that match up and the situation. 

"WHAT!!" Elijah shrieked. He quickly went for his phone and went to the group chat. The same video was there. It wasn't a minute into the video when he became nauseous. "Oh god," he murmured before running out of the room with his mouth covered. Everyone hovered over the phones watching the video of Derek and Shaun. It was the end that upped the shock factor. The camera caught Selby's voice and part of her body as she retched all over the floor. 
In unison, they all turned to Harem. 

"Kinda left out a few crucial points ent?" Erica asked aloud.

"What? No, I didn't. I saw him messing with someone in his van but didn't stick around to find out if it's a boy or a girl," he said defending himself.

"Details, my friend. One must always remember the details," Raine quipped. 

"Really guys? We're going to criticize my peeping tom skills and not the fact that we just watched Selby's boyfriend and our friend Shaun in a low budget porno?"

"Yuh right," Erica said plopping backward in her chair.

"Sorry."

"Yeah, that was inconsiderate of us."

Silence.

"So why he ain't tell we dat he gay? Ah mean he's so cool with us and ah like him. I just vex he ain't tell we bout it," Erica mumbled with a pout on her face.

"That stings tho," Raine added. The girls began commenting on why he didn't come out to them and wondered how Derek and himself came to hook up.

The boys all eyed them incredulously, the path their conversation took was unexpected. "I wonder who was so lucky to catch all of that on film?" Stacia asked aloud.

"Who do you think? The video not only humiliates the soccer and football team star players but Selby also. She's still on her vendetta shit," Elijah was the one who answered. Wiping his mouth with a paper towel he made his way back to Erica.

"Yuh good?" she asked.

"Yeah. The shock was too much. What a shitstorm Bree just unleashed. I have to check in on Shaun," he answered.

"What do you mean?" Callum asked. He wasn't fully clear on the people they talked about, but he did know about Spencer High's quarterback. 

"Derek's family are one of the rich blue blood families in Spencer. They're traditional in every way and I mean every way. Screw cheating on a test or kissing a girl that's not his girlfriend or getting a tattoo. That video showed him being intimate and in love with a guy. Shaun's family has already been in scandals so that's another blow to their glasshouse. This is bad. Bree really did her best this time," Kage answered. 

"Woah. What a weekend. You guys are truly entertaining," Callum commented, taking a sip of his drink. 

"It's not like this every weekend," Ayanna protested.

"Then we will have to see if it does next weekend," he countered. The girls gave her quick thumbs up before resuming their natural positions. Elijah got his phone and left the room. Everyone blindly watched the movie that was still ongoing, still trying to soak up the unfolding drama outside their circle. 

What should they do?

What could they say?

It was like watching reality tv and unable to give the stars some sort of fitting message or critique. It felt weird for them not to be at the forefront of Bree's ploys. They were background characters in her little play. But it did feel like they were forgetting something.

Or Someone. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17 0 8
Maya Johnson is the typical go to school and come straight back home type of girl. Her friends, Destiny and Imani, are the opposite of Maya and are a...
16.7K 1.3K 58
Alison moved to a new town as her father got a new job, simultaneously, she decided to hide her dark past, starting a new chapter of her complicated...
332K 11K 87
BWWM** Seventeen year old aaliyah brown has the hands of an angel and has been gifted with a god given talent for bringing anything to life on a blan...
2.4M 87.6K 55
17 year old, Elena Hawkins thought she was going to be done with boys forever. What Nate Thompson did to her in the fifth grade was unacceptable. She...