Game of Thrones: Frozen Fire

By ShemarStewart8

Eddard Stark offered her a deal. Safe return to the Seven Kingdoms but in exchange she would need to marry hi... More

Secrets
Unwelcome
Warmth
Moonless Night
Lies
Ravens
The Uprising
Allies
Mother of Dragons
Ice Dragon
Howling
Interlude I, King's Landing
The Caged Lion
Dracarys
Back Home
Wolf or Man
Mended Oaths
Battleborn Wolf
A Bear and A Kraken
Interlude II
Future Decisions
Maternal Instinct
No Reprieve
Children
The Distance
Little Birds
Freedom
Small Heroes
The North is Strong
War Damsels
Yesterday & Tomorrow
Truths
Brothers Beyond Blood
Black Wedding, Pt. 1
Black Wedding, Pt. 2
Enemies
Roots
What Was Promised
Brother
Children of the Bear
Children of Kings
Interlude III
Where Loyalties Lay
Claw The Way Back
The Red Eye
Wail of the Dragon
A Wolf's New Fur
Longing for Things to Come
Winter Princess
Land Of Dragons and Wolves

Fly Into The Night

114 5 0
By ShemarStewart8

Looking through the windows of the castle, Daenerys watched the clouds being carried away by the wind. The wait for news, for a sign that it was safe to return to the mainland, felt eternal. She was not used to sit and wait for things to be over; she felt the pressing need to fight her war, and be next to her wolf, even if he wished for her to stay away from danger. All that and more forced her to make up her mind.

"I'll be leaving tonight," she said softly, as if it was a secret. And perhaps it was. She didn't want to tell Dacey about it yet, confident that her friend would care for her child in her absence, but wary about what her opinion on this decision could be. The risk of taking Iagan back to Winterfell was too big, especially considering she planned to ride Drogon to meet Robb's army in Harrenhal.

Jaime Lannister, who had forced himself to behave like a shadow around Bear Island, just barely nodded. He would stay there and protect his child and hers, as it was implied in her words.

"You do know that this will be the final battle, don't you?" she wondered while seeing Iagan playing with some carved figures given to him by Bran and Rickon before their departure. Her Ice Dragon was missing his family terribly, constantly asking about Sansa, Theon and his uncles. It was this that reminded her there were many things at stake for the Kingslayer too; he might have played the part of aloof and brash knight, but after seeing him with Berit, Dany knew he hid another person underneath the armor. He had a family, and even if he tried to make it seem like he did not care about them, he must have done it. Even she had honored Viserys by naming Viserion after him, despite everything.

Jaime painted a small and forced smile on his face. "Seems like the Young Wolf wants to take the last bite."

Dany turned and finally faced him directly. "We will win, and you know that. You know him and me. We haven't gotten this far to lose things over one moment of weakness. I can't apologize if that upsets you."

Jaime clenched his jaw, barely showing his true emotions. He had grown an expert in hiding his intentions and feelings, as every lord and knight should, unlike she had always done. She was not a proper lady, and that made her different. She had not had a septa or a loving mother to teach her the things ladies did or said.

"If I learned something from the boy," he smirked, aware of how much Robb hated to be called a boy, even if he still was a few moons away from his twentieth nameday. "And from you is that you're anything but weak. That my father has miscalculated his decisions, since by putting you through the hardships he has, you two have become stronger. You're aware of your strength and hide your weak spots quite well."

"So you understand why I have to go with him?" She asked as she kneeled near Iagan, running her fingers through his curly hair while he absently played. He might have had her hair and skin, but he was very much like his father.

"This is your war as much as it is his." Jaime moved away, towards the door. "And you're afraid for his well-being."

"He's in danger. Melissandre might want to hurt me, but she won't dare to come to me while I'm protected by my dragons." She ducked her head and pressed a soft kiss to Iagan's forehead. He awarded her a smile and a soft sound that warmed up her heart. "I need to keep mine safe."

"I'll take care of him," Jaime said, looking at Iagan. "If that's what you need me to do. If that is necessary to prove myself and keep my daughter."

"That's not my decision to make."

Jaime snorted a laugh. "And yet, Dacey won't even look at me, so I doubt she would address the subject. We owe each other nothing, but everything to our child."

"Circumstances weren't the best. You hurt her and there was no armor that could protect her from that harm."

She noticed the way his demeanor changed by the way he looked at her. "Are we in need of handkerchiefs to dry our tears? Your Grace, you should be ashamed of making cry a poor man like myself."

Smiling against better judgment, Dany shook her head. She might've tried to get to him, and maybe did, but if that was the case, Jaime didn't let it show. She only hoped he didn't regret taking their side instead of the one he had been born into.

-o-

Saying goodbye to her son became harder and harder every time. Iagan's short arms and tiny hands reached for her as Lyanna held him tight. He wailed and called for her; she couldn't leave him like that, so she said her goodbyes by soothing him with a few words in valyrian whispered only for him. Iagan hadn't been formally taught the language yet, but he recognized a handful of words, and by the expression on his face, he seemed to understand much more than his short life could ever teach him.

"Be good. Be safe. We'll return for you soon, my little one."

Iagan hiccupped, but stopped crying.

Meanwhile, Ser Barristan tried to make her see reason. He told her it wasn't safe or appropriate for her to travel alone, but she knew she would be safe under the dark blanket of the night and the distance would be nothing thanks to Drogon's wings.

"You will be Lord Commander again, and for that you'll need to follow. But as of now, I need to be with Robb."

"What are your fears, Your Grace? Have those nightmares haunted you again? Let me help you." Ser Barristan, weathered by age and experience and with those sad eyes she had learned to trust so much, always seemed to know what was bothering her.

"I've lost everything twice and come back from the ashes, but now I don't know if I could do that again. Not now. Robb has helped me learned to be myself, we have grown together and have a family." She sighed and let Irri adjust the cincher around her middle, feeling the sharp scales around her once again. Dany was ready for battle. "I will not lose another son."

"I believe this time you have many more children," Ser Barristan replied. "You're a queen."

That was how Robb saw their titles. He was the stern yet fair father, while she was the nurturing and fierce mother. She enjoyed the idea of them complementing the other, but she also had to admit there was a small flame inside her that wanted to challenge her husband; she abhorred the idea of being simply a wife to breed heirs with. Dany also knew the traditions; men were meant to be kings, and queens never held the same power.

Dacey looked at her disapprovingly at first, but then embraced her as if they were sisters, because that was how they felt.

"I'll keep our prince safe," she promised. "As if he were my own."

"I know. I'll miss you in battle."

"The fire is still in me. Being a mother can only make me stronger." Dacey smiled. "I'll soon be with you."

In the dark night, Drogon drove her through the clouds. It was cold but the stars were bright above as if they were lighting her way to her wolf. Up there, the world was small and because of how little things seemed, someone could've mistaken them and believe they were easy to solve. She was no fool. War was never easy.

-o-

Harrenhal knew of dragons. Its towers and walls still had the scars of the fire. It was the same that reminded Daenerys of how even is misshapen and broken, some things were meant to last. It seemed like the perfect symbol for their war.

She and Robb started as children who barely knew the other, but they became lovers and then friends. They had overcome so many things besides war and they had built many more. It was only fair for them to finally end up victorious. Painfully, she knew life wasn't always fair, so she was wary. She was just hoping that soon she could sit with Robb and Iagan together, as a family, seeing them laugh and play. She also wanted to tell Robb about their second child on a much happier moment, when they would know there would be peace for them to wathc their children grow.

Morning light came and the sun began to warm up her skin.

Drogon landed among the troops, in the middle of the crowded courtyard. Dany dismounted gracefully and soon a steward was at her side. He looked young, but everyone did as the war kept on going. She had always thought children should've never been in a battlefield, but she couldn't keep an eye on everyone; much less save them.

"Do you know who I am?" she asked in an icy voice.

The young man seemed nervous, so he nodded rapidly before finding his voice. "Yes, Your Grace. Queen Daenerys Stark."

"Targaryen," a deep voice she knew very well corrected. "Always will be. The last of her kind. The only one."

Robb seemed to grow older and more tired when they were apart. Dany wondered if he thought the same of her. Dark circles seemed to have darkened around his eyes, he looked paler, but at the same time there was more strength about him. He knew the end of war was approaching.

She reigned on her impulse to run to him and bury her face in the furs he was donning. Grey Wind wasn't so shy, though. The direwolf raced to her, sniffed Drogon and then nudged her hands with his snout so she would pet his heavy head. The familiarity of it all made her smile.

"At least he welcomes me properly." She smiled.

Before anyone could even begin to think about propriety, Robb stalked his way to her and took her face gently between his hands. He pressed his lips to hers forcefully, firmly in a kiss that conveyed the longing and love they felt for each other.

"My Wolf," she whispered softly against his swollen lips. "Forgive me if I've gone against your wishes, but I couldn't leave you now. This is our war."

He scoffed, smiling as if she amused him. "I never believed you would obey me. I'm not your owner." She looked into those deep blue eyes and remembered everything she knew about him. "I wished you wouldn't come to my aid; that you would forget about fighting after nearly leaving my side. But I knew better."

She smiled at him. He was safe and in one piece, for that she was grateful. Her hands and fingers roamed over his handsome face and tangled in the messy nest atop of his head. His beard had grown long again.

"One last battle," she murmured.

"The longest one. The bloodiest. But we will win. I promise that to you, my Queen."

"It is known. We will return to King's Landing together, as King and Queen of the Seven Kingdoms."

-o-

She told everything that had happened in Bear Island, except for her dreams and the child she knew she was carrying inside her. His seed was strong, and she was overjoyed with the news, but she wanted for this child to be announced in times of peace.

In return, she heard about The Wall, the murder of Stannis and the threats of Melissandre. She already knew most of it, but particularly about the Red Woman and how she now needed Dany's dragons. That would not end with the war; it was a battle she would need to fight on her own. Robb didn't know of this, but she was the only one who could defeat the priestess. Of that, Daenerys was sure.

It didn't take long for him to explain her his plans about this battle and how they would trick their enemies. She had her doubts, but of course she also trusted him. What he lacked in knowledge about politics and slyness, Robb made up with his instinct in the battlefield. That was why she believed they worked so well together.

She smiled as he moved the wooden figurines on the map. Robb studied every step considering the consequences. It was the same that had led him to marry her: his deep commitment to duty.

"Stop it," he murmured irritably and then she giggled. His blue eyes lifted slowly, threatening, but then one side of his mouth tilted up and he snorted a laugh. "I missed you," he breathed out softly, as if he weren't allowed to have needs or think about himself first.

She hurried herself to him and kissed his cheek. "Soon, my Wolf, we'll be together as a family, ruling the Seven Kingdoms."

"And who will sit in the Iron Throne?"

Her smile faltered and she tried to come up with an answer. She truly believed that was her place, for her to sit on, but he would be the King.

His roughened thumb caressed the apple of her cheek like a whisper. Her violet eyes met his coyly. She didn't want to disappoint him, to make him feel betrayed.

"I won't sit on it. For that I've made sure to order the making of my own throne made of ironwood, to remind me of my roots."

That was him speaking his truth. He would be the first Northern man to be king, and that meant he would not forget his traditions or people. His faith was on the Old Gods, and family was first for him. Robb would be a different king. A new one.

"The Iron Throne is yours, Dany. I'm going to make sure of that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.3K 1.4K 23
Vitoria Martell had one goal in her life: gain revenge for the murder of her aunt and cousins. π™°πš›πš›πš’πš—. π™±πšŠπš›πšŠπšπš‘πšŽπš˜πš—. π™»πšŠπš—πš—πš’πšœπšπšŽπš›. οΏ½...
176K 6.8K 52
❝ There was a feeling of inevitability when I met you. And our lives were fated to converge like some cosmic dance. And I think I had to break your h...
39.5K 1.5K 36
Lysandra Lannister has finally returned to her home of King's Landing after being sold to House Frey by her father, Lord Tywin. The Red Wedding has r...
1.1K 29 7
[REWRITING] "𝙄 π™™π™§π™šπ™–π™’ 𝙀𝙛 π™’π™–π™¨π™¨π™–π™˜π™§π™šπ™¨. / 𝙄 𝙖𝙒 𝙖 π™œπ™–π™§π™™π™šπ™£ 𝙀𝙛 π™—π™‘π™–π™˜π™  π™§π™€π™¨π™šπ™¨ 𝙖𝙣𝙙 π™§π™šπ™™ π™–π™œπ™€π™£π™žπ™šπ™¨. " - Sylvia Pla...