Little Birds

The lively baby was all Dany could focus on since Robb had left. Somehow she felt it was what kept her in touch with her husband and her family. But Iagan was more than just their son; he would become king one day and, if Robb was right, a great warrior. It was her duty to raise him to be the best ruler Westeros would ever know.

Dany enjoyed spending time with Iagan, singing to him nursery rhymes about dragons and wolves and speaking to him in Valyrian. In return, he surprised her constantly. She had stopped counting the times she had found Viserion or Rhaegal contemplating him, or Shaggy and Summer curled around the babe.

Iagan's nature was wild. It reminded her of what Catelyn had told him about the blood of the Wolf and the stories about Brandon and Lyanna. It certainly made the idea of mixing hers and Robb's bloods sound quite dangerous.

She smiled at the sounds her son made. He squealed in return, wiggling his arms and legs as he lay naked in bed that morning. Daenerys was changing him like she usually did. In the beginning she always worried about him getting cold, but soon after Maester Luwin had pointed out that Iagan always felt warmer than he should have been. At first she was afraid he was sick but he never showed any signs of an ailment. Iagan was like her dragons, warmer to touch.

When he smiled, she chuckled.

"Oh, behave, my sweet boy," she cooed as she secured his diaper.

Dany refused adamantly about letting his care on the hands of a stranger, no matter how much anyone insisted. She saw danger in every corner and, after losing one child, she was not willing to leave this one out of her sight.

When her eyes looked into those unnaturally blue ones of her son, she felt the pull. It was hypnotizing. The air left her lungs and she quickly saw an image in her head. It was a small bird being released of some kind of cage, flying away across the blue sky to end up perched on Grey Wind's back, a few other direwolves behind him.

Dany blinked and soon the image disappeared.

Until then she hadn't related her dreams to Iagan, but since he had been born, the prophetic images at night had stopped. But now, without words, Iagan was speaking to her.

The sea of blue seemed to swirl turning into the shade of storm clouds before he blinked and they returned to their normal color.

Smiling again at the babe, Dany knew this was only a sign to ease her heart.

Her plan would work and Jorah would rescue Sansa and Arya. She didn't want to question why only one bird had been freed but she hoped that didn't mean much.

King's Landing looked worse than the last time he had set foot there. It seemed that King Joffrey was neglecting the people in a worse fashion than his father had done. Jorah saw kids fighting over a half bitten and dirty piece of bread and two women yelling at each other for some unknown reason.

It was known that the Game of Thrones was only important for the lords of the Seven Kingdoms. People in the streets could not care any less about who the ruler was; they only wanted food and safety, something it was clearly not provided to them by the current king.

"Do you wish a warm bed?" A lascivious woman told him as he walked through the crowded streets. A whore, he noticed immediately by the clothes she wore that left little to imagination. But if once she had been a beautiful woman selling her body to rich men, now she wore a dress tore at one shoulder and at the skirts, her cheek showed faint signs of a bruise and her eyes seemed vacant.

"Let go of me, woman," he muttered gruffly. He had never liked bedding whores, even if he loved women. It was not appealing to only receive their attention over money when he could offer them everything.