Game of Thrones: Frozen Fire

By ShemarStewart8

Eddard Stark offered her a deal. Safe return to the Seven Kingdoms but in exchange she would need to marry hi... More

Secrets
Warmth
Moonless Night
Lies
Ravens
The Uprising
Allies
Mother of Dragons
Ice Dragon
Howling
Interlude I, King's Landing
The Caged Lion
Dracarys
Back Home
Wolf or Man
Mended Oaths
Battleborn Wolf
A Bear and A Kraken
Interlude II
Future Decisions
Maternal Instinct
No Reprieve
Children
The Distance
Little Birds
Freedom
Small Heroes
The North is Strong
War Damsels
Yesterday & Tomorrow
Truths
Brothers Beyond Blood
Black Wedding, Pt. 1
Black Wedding, Pt. 2
Enemies
Roots
What Was Promised
Brother
Children of the Bear
Children of Kings
Interlude III
Where Loyalties Lay
Claw The Way Back
Fly Into The Night
The Red Eye
Wail of the Dragon
A Wolf's New Fur
Longing for Things to Come
Winter Princess
Land Of Dragons and Wolves

Unwelcome

499 13 0
By ShemarStewart8

The woman was undeniably beautiful – much more than Queen Cersei who was allegedly one of the most beautiful women in the Seven Kingdoms. Her eyes were haunting and her white hair reminded him of snow under the sun. Her skin was as pale as milk.

Robb wasn't complaining about her beauty. He couldn't. He also knew that as the son of a noble man, rightful heir of Winterfell, he would have little to say about who he would marry. But he had never expected for his father to marry him to the only living child of the Mad King.

His father believed that as children, the Targaryen couldn't be at fault of their father's decision – nor their brother's. But everyone thought that as in their true nature, Targaryens would fight to sit once again in the Iron Throne.

The Lord of Winterfell didn't think Daenerys was weak by any means. On the contrary, he believed she needed to be watched and that's why he gave that task to the only man he could absolutely trust: his son.

Robb was proud that his father had chosen him for such task but also very saddened at the prospect of his future. He had always wanted a family like the one he had been born into but it would be very difficult considering how much hatred his current wife must have felt for him.

Against all odd, he didn't hate her. He couldn't.

At least riding through the woods gave him time to think about what he'd do when they reached their destination.

Looking back, Daenerys was with her head high, looking as the Queen she couldn't be. Behind her, her handmaidens murmured in their native tongue and struggled with the dresses they had been given – since their old outfits would have been frowned upon. Robb snorted a laugh at the sight and when Daenerys noticed this, she also looked back and soon a small smile made it on her lips.

Couldn't she smile more often? Smiles like that could warm a frozen heart.

-o-

They were purposefully avoiding the Kingsroad, in case anyone could recognize the characteristic features Daenerys possessed. They were legendary now, the blood of the dragon. And knowing how much many wanted the eradicate them, Robb feared he would have to wield his sword against an unarmed man.

He had to admit she was a brave woman who hadn't complained once about the hours they had spent on their horses – but maybe she was used to as the queen of a khalasar.

It bothered him endlessly that he couldn't forget what had happened that morning. It was affecting his mind and judgment to remember how her body and lips felt against his. She was soft curves and warm flesh. She smelt like wild flowers and tasted like some sugary treat.

These thoughts were filling his mind but he was quick to realize about the young couple coming down the lonely road. If they didn't do something, they would surely be seen and from a very short distance – enough to give a very detailed description of them.

Grumbling under his breath, cursing on his luck, Robb dismounted the horse and forced Daenerys to do the same.

"What is this?" she said angrily, as if he were her lackey and was insulting her.

He glared at her fiercely. "People on the road. We need to hide." He led the horses off the road and tugged her arm so she would follow quickly.

"Stop," she hissed through clenched teeth as he hurried his steps, to tie the horses behind some trees that provided enough coverage. "I said stop!" Daenerys exclaimed and yanked her arm free from his hold.

Not for the first time, at least not while he was angry, he felt like a wolf when he growled at her. "I'm your husband," he said as if that meant something, as if he could actually have power over her for the sole reason of that awful wedding.

"Not until you bed me," she spat back with as much venom.

"Would you rather have your head on a spike?" Robb's patience was being tested to its limits. It was as if she knew what cords to pull to make him feel useless.

"Is it better than being treated like a child prisoner?"

There wasn't time to argue, to finally show the mutual dislike and how affected they were by the circumstances. He didn't have time to make her see reason and explain. He needed her to cooperate but she was furious – due to his rejection that morning or just the fact she had been forced to marry him, he didn't know.

"Just hide," he breathed out in defeat.

"I don't see reason why," she replied stubbornly.

"Do you question everything?"

"I don't take orders." Her eyebrows rose in a defiant gesture but he stopped paying attention when he saw her handmaidens walking in front of their horses, right towards the couple leading a mule.

"What are they doing?" Robb hissed, ready to lose his mind thanks to the impossibly pigheaded women that accompanied him. If he had to drag them to a hiding spot-

Daenerys shushed him and tugged his arm so they would hide behind some trees and bushes, allowing them to peek through the long leaves. "Be quiet."

"So I have to take orders?" His eyebrow arched with amusement and a pinch of rage.

She smiled mockingly. "I'm your wife." At that, his thick eyebrows almost hit his hairline. "A woman is smarter than a man. It is known," she added with humor and triumph. She had won this little game of theirs and he had to admit it.

Meanwhile, on the road, Jhiqui, Irri and Doreah were distracting the couple. Well, they were seducing the man who looked more than pleased with the attention of such beautiful creatures, but the woman – more likely than not, his wife – seemed enraged, so she quickly pulled him away from the three giggling Dothraki women.

The couple was fighting and too enthralled in their problems to notice the fit of laughter in which Daenerys and Robb found themselves.

"Smarter, huh?" he teased.

"It is known," Dany replied, dusting off her dress, reading herself to resume their travel.

-o-

He had stopped worrying about the constant curiosity of Grey Wind and his fascination with the baskets the handmaidens carried. Robb didn't have time to investigate what was that called the direwolf's attention - which was probably only the strange smell of the foreign land.

The horses cantered through the woods but home seemed still so far away, Robb wished they could flight. They had just made it past the Neck and the cold was more noticeable now. As nightfall approached, he knew he had to find a place for them to sleep.

On her horse, Daenerys trembled though she tried to hide it under a mask of indifference. It was almost laughable.

Robb slowed his horse and let her catch up with him. When she was almost at his side, he draped a heavy fur over her shoulders, startling her when the weight fell upon her.

"Furs like these aren't common in the south but very welcome in the north," he quipped before signaling to her handmaids, whose teeth were chattering, that cloaks were part of their new belongings. His mother had apparently thought about everything, like the smart woman she was.

As soon as he found a place for them to take shelter, he didn't make the same mistake and this time he stood guard outside the room with Grey Wind.

He patted the animal's head forcefully but affectionately, wondering not for the first time if he could play the part as Lord of Winterfell while worrying about a wife who was more dangerous that his own wolf.

Would he ever be able to sleep again knowing she probably wanted his head on a spike?

-o-

"Are you afraid of me, Wolf?" Daenerys asked him the last morning of their trip, as they rode through the dense forest.

They were in his lands now but that didn't mean there wasn't any danger out there. For all he knew, traitors could be anywhere – he had learned not to trust as easily since the day his brother had been the target of an assassin for a second time.

"No," he responded. And he was being honest. He wasn't afraid of her but of what she meant, what she could do with him. "Are you of me?"

"Of course not. I'm a dragon. Fire and blood. Why should I be afraid of a winter wolf?"

"Because winter wind blows out flames, cold freezes blood and the wolf howl at the distance." He looked at her earnestly and he wasn't sure what she saw in his eyes but she looked less like a queen and more like a child. "Winter is coming."

It was the first argument in which he had the last word.

-o-

As he had planned, they made it to Winterfell in the dead of the night. He wanted to go unnoticed, to seek refuge under the shadows of the night.

The guards recognized him immediately but didn't ask questions and Robb was grateful about it. He wasn't in the mood to answer anyone's questions. But of course his luck wasn't the best and not long after his arrival and while servants were still helping them with their bags and belongings, Theon arrived.

Robb rolled his eyes before his friend could open his mouth.

"Take her to my chambers," Robb muttered to a passing servant, one of the ones he could remember since he was a baby, always loyal to the Starks. The woman nodded curtly and soon approached Daenerys.

Robb couldn't be bothered any longer about following every step his wife took now that she was inside the Great Keep. She was safe behind those walls. Or as safe as he was, at least.

Robb soon hurried inside the castle and, after a few moments, he heard the familiar steps of someone following him.

"So she's the last Targaryen alive?" Theon spoke with a voice filled with amusement and mischief. "Your prisoner? Are we going to keep her? Has the King sent her as a gift for you to do as you please?"

The lewd tone on that last question forced Robb to turn around sharply. He looked at Theon with disdain that didn't last long. He was exhausted and his head was full of unanswered inquiries.

"She's my wife," he blurted out simply and Theon's eyes widened.

"So she is for you to do as you please," Theon said, following once again when Robb started his way to Bran's chambers once again. "I thought she was Queen of some savages now. You know what they said, that Targaryens just wanted to rule something and she had found her place. Some horselord was her king." A cruel laugh went through Theon's lips.

Robb's fists clenched and something inside him didn't seem right. He ignored the words and the revolting feeling at the pit of his stomach.

"Did you at least show her you could ride her better than a savage?"

That snapped the last of his control. He hadn't slept well in days. He had ridden for the most part of that time. His life had turned upside down and his mother, father and sisters were in danger as well. He wasn't going to apologize for grabbing Theon by the neck and shoving him against the wall.

"She's my wife," he growled. "As much as it amuses you, this is not a joke. One day she will be the Lady of Winterfell. Respect her as such."

Theon's wide eyes hide no fear but they held some disgust at the sound of Robb's words.

People said Starks were fools for keeping their honor. What did honor worth in times of war?

"You're like my brother," Robb uttered softly as he let go of Theon. "Would it be wrong of me to ask for so little? I just need to keep her safe and hidden for as long as it is possible. Father's orders."

Both of them knew how much Theon valued Eddard Stark's opinion and how he returned the feelings of brotherhood Robb spoke of.

"I'll make sure no one opens their mouths," Theon promised solemnly and watched Robb go into Bran's chambers.

It was a heavy burden to be loyal to the ones they loved.

-o-

After checking on his younger brothers, making sure Bran was as comfortable as he could, considering his current state, and that Rickon was at least the same troublemaker he knew, Robb realized he had turned into a man overnight, without a warning.

Entering his chambers, he had almost forgotten he wasn't the sole owner of it anymore.

Daenerys was standing in her nightgown in front of the hearth, her long platinum hair cascading down her back. She looked like a vision.

"I thought you wouldn't share a room with me," she said when he closed the door behind him.

"You're my wife," he stated simply before looking at her in the eye. "Or not according to you. But we have to pretend."

"You have to watch me, like a guardian."

"Maybe," he replied, sitting at the edge of the bed and pulling his boots off.

"You're not my owner."

"I'm not."

She seemed taken aback by his answer and the look suited her.

"I'm tired," he breathed out. "Whatever you think I feel towards you is probably wrong. I don't hate you. I'm not afraid of you. I don't resent you for this marriage. I'm just tired because my world has changed in a matter of weeks."

She approached him slowly, as if he were a wounded animal easily scared. Daenerys stood between his legs and buried her hands into his hair, coercing him to look into her eyes.

Her fingers brushed his scalp soothingly, almost hypnotizing him.

"You're such a strange creature, Wolf," she whispered. "So different from most men. Honest to the point you shouldn't."

"You don't want me to speak the truth?" His voice was full of sleep.

She smiled at him. "Only to me. Would you lie to the world if I asked you to?"

"No."

"But you do for your father."

"For my family."

"I am your family now as well."

He sighed. "Maybe one day."

She chuckled. "So honest. So naïve."

His hands reached for her face and he tilted his head so his lips pressed lightly against her forehead. "So bitter. So cold. You won't survive in the north without hope."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.9K 3.5K 35
if i knew it all then, would i do it again? - a story in which the bastard daughter of the heir to the Iron Throne with no ambition or lust for power...
13.1K 410 22
Due to several requests I have decided to write Rhaegon and Rhaelys's story. I hope you guys like it. Rhaelys gets warning dreams from the Gods letti...
64.1K 2.7K 47
The gods see the world being destroyed during the Long Night and decide to fix things. Daemon and Rhaenyra had been married for less than a year when...
16.7K 378 24
Alana Baratheon is the eldest child between King Robert Baratheon and Cersei Lannister. When Alana turned 9 she was promised to Robb Stark, the eldes...