[2] FAR FROM HIM // t.stark

Por thestarklegacy

Second book of "Acceptance Siries" FAR FROM HIM - tells a story of Terri Stark's struggle between her protect... Más

-
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Finale
More

Chapter Fourteen

81 2 0
Por thestarklegacy

Once we arrived the Cabin, Rhodey quickly punched in Dad's secondary access, that he claimed it is for emergency and only he knows the access. Dad's thinking is way ahead of us. Sometimes, he makes me wonder if I'm really a physician and technologist child.

     I remember Dad's lab back in Malibu. Since the layout is round, it was easy for him to occupy every angle of the floor. In the middle, he had his multi-screen computer. He could be uploading his blueprint at one screen while playing a game at another screen and a visual half-painted Iron Man suit at another screen. The see-through neon monitor was around him so it's like he is engulfed with it when he sits in the middle.

     His big, working table is on the south from the entrance of his lab. That is the brightest part of the lab since he needed as much light as he could to drill his Iron Man pieces. Sometimes, that table turn into a hologram. I watched Dad switching it on many times that I begun to pick up the process. To try if what I knew will work, I called Dad himself. He was driving at the time, and his reaction to my successful was similar to when I succeeded hacking JCTC Headquarter security cameras in Berlin. Mad and proud.

     I didn't have a role in the Garage yet. While Harley helped Rhodey to switch on the computers and the electricity in the Garage, Sam and Bucky walked around the Garage, taking in the environment. I sat at one corner. It looks like a dining table. Small, but big enough for three people. I took out my phone, read a text message from Mom she sent few minutes ago. She told me that she is still on the way for their safe haven, but considered safe since they are out of the city. She asked for my updates with the boys. I quickly replied and told her that we're fine for now.

     Then I returned Home on my phone and touched the Contacts icon. I found myself scrolling my contact list and stopped at Peter's name. My finger lingered in the air for a few seconds as I contemplated either to call Peter or not. It's not that I miss him or I worry about him having a field trip across Europe. There's something in me wanting Peter to be honest with me about our relationship. Our distance is driving me crazy.

     Before I could press the Call icon, I heard someone cleared his throat. My heart skipped a beat, startled. I looked up only to find Bucky lookin at me.

     "Do you mind?" He pointed at the seat in front of him, opposite me.

     I glanced at the seat. I wanted to tell him to leave me alone, but somehow I know I need to overcome my uneasiness around him. "N- No. Please. Have a seat." I said bitterly.

     I watched Bucky took a seat. "Aren't you going to call him?"

     "Huh?"

     Bucky raised his eyebrows and jerked his chin towards the phone in my hand.

     I looked down at my hand. "Oh." Why did I set my phone to never auto-lock? "Um, nah. He probably won't pickup my call. He's busy."

     "That kid's still schooling, right?"

     At first, I wondered how he knew, but a quick thought came to me. An answer, more of it. Bucky was there during Civil War. Although he didn't properly meet Peter, but he recognised him.

     "What did he do to you?" Bucky sounded pushy.

     I stared at him, opened my mouth to say something meaner than what I meant, but I figured it was a waste of time to do that. It'd waste my energy to be hating him that hard. He probably mean nice. I laughed myself and shook my head.

     "Why are laughing?"

     "I don't know." I scoffed, finishing the last bit of my laugh. "It feels weird sitting with a man I hated with passion."

     Bucky looked at me with a straight face without blinking.

     "Is there something you wish to tell me?"

     Bucky nervously chuckled. "You know what they say, women and their instincts."

     I smirked at his statement. "So what's been bothering you, sergeant?"

     Bucky gave me a look when I called him "sergeant". Bucky gulped, eyebrows ceased, looking down to find proper words to say to me. "Nothing. I— uh . . . . just thought you needed company."

     "Well, I actually didn't," I answered coldly.

     "Ah, shit." Bucky clicked his tongue. He shook his head. "By the way, how are you and your family?"

     I watched him for a few seconds. I know it's agitating him, but maybe I like to see him got agitated by me. "Never been better," I said without emotion. "What do you want, Bucky?"

     "Told you I just thought you needed company. I know what it feels like to be surrounded by people yet actually feeling lonely."

     "Why do you think that I'm lonely?"

     Bucky glanced at my phone.

     "Excuse me? You don't have the right to judge me. Either I'm happy or sad, it's none of your business."

     "Sorry." Bucky looked down, disappointed at himself.

     "Yeah. You should be. And you should be helping your mates." I pointed at Sam, Harley and Rhodey who are struggling lifting something. "Make use of your strong, metal arm."

     Bucky glanced at the thing I pointed at. He sighed before returning to me. "I just want to know if you forgive me."

     I rolled my eyes at him. "Bucky."

     "I need to know," Bucky said. "I can't live a life knowing someone close to me is holding a grudge on me. Look, I know we aren't that close. We barely talk, but I have a feeling that we'll be seeing each other often. We're working together to protect what's left of your father."

     "My father didn't leave anything except telling me to take care of my so-called little sister." I raised my voice. "He didn't wish for me before he died. He saved people. He saved you. But he didn't save me. Not entirely. There were so much I haven't learnt and I wished to spend more time with him despite him continually scolding me, but–" I shook my head. "But still. He's rest in peace. You worry about him. I worry about my family's safety."

~•••~

We decided to sleep at the Garage instead of the Cabin, although it is only a few steps away, knowing that we were safe here in Dad's Garage. I thought it would cold in here seeming that it was built by cement, but little did I know Dad installed a heater in his Garage so we were warm. Everyone was sleeping soundly including Harley, who is still not fully recovered from his injury.

     Well, except me.

     After fighting with myself either I should call Peter or not, I decided that it won't hurt if I call him. He should have landed somewhere in Europe right now and I just want an update. Abandoning my sleeping bag, I stood somewhere farther than the rest of us. It has been a long day, they needed the goodnight's sleep. Plus, who knows tonight's the best sleep they could get despite sleeping on the rough floor?

     It rang a few times before Peter finally picked up my call. It was noisy where he was.

     "Hello?" He sounded confused, but I sighed in relieved as soon as I heard his voice. Somewhere deep inside me was grateful that he is safe and sound.

     "Hi–Hi, Peter, it's me. Terri."

     "Oh, Terri. Hi!" He greeted me nervously. "What's up?"

     "How's Europe?"

     "We just landed. Just got a key for our room, but yeah. It's nice. I guess."

     I frowned. There's a slight dishonesty in his voice. "Where are you now?"

     Peter paused. "Venice. Italy."

     "Wow!" I smiled to myself, remembering those times when my family and I visited Venice and other countries in Europe. "I love Venice. My father used to rent a boat and take me and Mom on a ride around Venive. It's . . . . lovely."

     "It is, yeah. Except that it's so hot and burning here."

     "I know." I chuckled to myself when I remembered how Dad and I were drenched with our own sweat when we were in Venice. I wished to jumped into the water. Mom had a meeting and Dad and I decided to venture Venice a little. It turned out not good. "Ah, good times. Wish I was there with you. It's nice to be back in Venice even if not with Dad."

     I heard Peter snorted. "Yeah, right," he said. His voice sounded tight and rough. He paused. "Hey, look. I gotta go. Got some things to be done. Talk to you later, okay?"

     "Oh. Okay."

     Peter hung up the phone call immediately, leaving me frowning at my spot. I don't know if it's just me, but Peter sounded different than the first few years I knew him. He used to be cheerful when he talked to me especially when we talked about Iron Man. Now, even though we've gone through the Blip, if we were face to face, he wouldn't even look at me in the eye.

     Sighing heavily, I sat on the floor with my back against the wall, wanting to forget what happened. If Peter has a new person in his life, why doesn't he want to tell me?

     I was startled when I heard someone called me. My eyes shot open and my blood drained from my face. I looked up and saw Harley looking at me worried.

     "Hey. Weren't you asleep?"

     "I was until I heard you talking on the phone," he explained himself. "Mind if I join you?"

     I tilted my head. "You should be sleeping. Get some rest. You haven't fully recovered yet."

     "I'm fine, don't worry about me." He took a seat beside me even though I didn't tell him he could. "Plus, those meds they gave me, they were pretty powerful."

     "Well, that's Shield for you."

     "Aren't they the one chasing us?" Harley asked.

     "Could be." I sighed. "At this point, everyone is chasing us. Well, except the former Avengers, of course. They've gone through too much to betray Tony Stark."

     Harley was quiet for a few seconds. "Who were you calling?" He sounded unsure.

     I chuckled humourlessly. "Why?"

     "N-nothing. I'm just asking. Wanting to know if I should be worried because you know . . . ."

     "Know what?"

     Harley shrugged.

     I shook my head, mostly understood how that question came out from his mouth, but we cannot step out of the line. "Don't worry about me. I can handle him, though he sounded pretty weird lately."

     "Why? What did he do to you?"

     "Nothing, nothing." I laughed. That is a pretty weird question coming from him, too. "Gosh, why do you suddenly care? Seriously, you scare me. But I'm okay, honestly. Nothing I can't handle. Think I should sleep."

   I got up and quickly left Harley.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

86.1K 2K 114
Victoria Parker is the twelve years older sister of none other than Peter Parker aka Spiderman. After their parents died, they both went to an orphan...
25.6K 574 34
Spider-Man Stories! I drew the cover. Will include some spideychelle and Irondad and more Avengers. And Morgan and Peter have a very wholesome siblin...
14.8K 664 50
BOOK 2 BACK TO UPDATING EVERY SUNDAY! Daisy's back and whether she likes it or not, will have to deal with the aftermath of the first book. Where's...
387K 8.1K 30
~ Bucky Barnes x Reader ~ You are Tony Stark's sister. You never thought you'd have to spend much time with the man who killed your parents until you...