Chapter Fifteen

I sat at Dad's working space, staring at the blueprint laid out on top of the table with my arms crossed on my chest. I was amazed with how futuristic my Dad was. He's not only ahead of everyone else in technology — like his iron suits, or his watch-that-turns-into-iron-glove, or his glasses — but also how he saw danger in the future. In the current case, he knew how we will be endangered by people who wants his technology. Because, guess what? Dad had a blueprint exactly my idea, the one I told Rhodey that we could duplicate Dad's garage.

     My heart ached for Rhodey. He lived with Dad many years before me. They knew each other inside and out. They knew what and how each other think. They knew what's bad and best for each other. Rhodey must have felt something when I voiced out my opinion when he knew Dad, his best friend, could have the same thinking as I was.

     The moment when Rhodey found the blueprint, he gathered everyone at the table because only Rhodey and Harley who could understand "tech language". Meanwhile, Sam, Bucky and I were mostly listening when they were explaining what lies on the blueprint.

     "Shit!" Rhodey said out of the blue, out of context, in the middle of the briefing.

     "What?" Bucky and Sam asked simultaneously. Harley watched me with a questioning look, but didn't urge me to tell what's on my mind. It's like he actually knew what the blueprint is about only he didn't know it was also my idea except Rhodey.

     "Man. I forgot that you and your father are so much alike," Rhodey said. After a few seconds, Rhodey left us without anymore words.

     "What's got in his pants?" Sam asked.

     I sighed and shook my head at that. I certainly know why, out of the many people here, but I understand that Rhodey doesn't want to be exposed. He has the right to feel sad about his friend. He's a man, but he's human too. I've never seen him cry, not even with Dad, but I know he cries sometimes.

     I asked everyone to leave me alone at the table after that and here I am, still staring at the blueprint. Amazed. Shocked. Proud. Sad. All at once.

     Truth is, ever since Dad was gone, every person who had known him has been pretty emotional. I get under Happy's skin when I ignore Morgan or when I talk bad about myself. Mom cannot let hold her tears when I mentioned Dad, but she tried with Morgan. I get angry whenever Morgan mentions Dad and when Mom and Happy told me that I should treat Morgan nicer. Sometimes, we blame each other about our carelessness, calling everyone stupid for not handling the situations better. Smallest thing that used to be fun became our pet peeves, just ticks everyone off.

     Even though Rhodey doesn't show it, but amongst me, Mom and Happy, Rhodey is the most sensible one. He understands his emotions. He knows what to do when he's angry or sad. He deals with them like it's at the back of his hands. I feel like if I were to tell Rhodey what's happening at home ever since Dad left, he would say something simple and turns my mood better. But of course, he wasn't with me most of the time because he has a job to do.

     After awhile of being alone, Rhodey came back. He stood beside me with his arms crossed on his chest. He blankly stared at the blueprint like how I did and sighed.

     "When I told you my idea about the multiple garage to hide the main garage," I started, "did I remind you of Dad? Because I feel like I did especially that you know he would think the same I did."

     Rhodey chuckled softly at my statement. "No, actually," he said. "It happened so fast so I forgot about your Dad until now."

     "But did you think that Dad would think the same way I did about the multiple garage?"