Chapter Twelve

Peter stood at the door awkwardly as he greeted us with a simple "Hey". He tried to hide his awkwardness with a smile, but his eyes that are looking everywhere except us couldn't be anymore honest that he's nervous. I smiled at him while Happy and Rhodey shared a look.

'Hey, buddy. Thought you already left for the airport.'

I turned to Rhodey. 'Airport?'

Rhodey knew about us. Happy, too. It was hard to hide from two of the most important men in my life. They also know what's happening between us since Dad died, that we aren't communicating as much as we used to. Like I said, everything changed since Tony Stark died including our relationship. Rhodey raised his eyebrows at me and I shook my head at him.

The air is getting thick. Sensing that there's something unpleasant going on between us, Happy said, 'I think Peter has something to tell you, Terri.'

'Really?' I looked at Peter with an eyebrow raised. Peter was about to answer me when I saw a shadow moving at the corner of my eye. That's when I noticed Happy and Rhodey were leaving. 'Wait, where are you guys going?'

Rhodey gave me a bitter smile. 'Well, aside from Tony, think I'm the only person here who's far more better with technologies.'

I raised an eyebrow.

He chuckled. 'No hard feelings, Terri. I'm just gonna go find an intel and see how to work your Dad's machine elsewhere.'

'What? Wait, I actually have an idea about that–'

'No worries. We'll discuss later.' Rhodey quickly left before I can stop him.

'I'm going to check up on your mother and Morgan,' said Happy before he left soon after that, leaving me and Peter in the quiet room.

I know I will not sound like a straight woman if I say this, but I miss Peter. I miss him a lot, I do, but I don't think I'm ready to face him especially after what happened today. Everything happened so fast. Some truths were spoken when I least expect them. My mind is still processing about what's happening today although I remember my father told me not to because it's only going to make your head explode except just sleep on it. I might be seen as emotionless and heartless lately, but....

I sighed. 'Well, looks like it's only us.'

Peter gulped, scratching the back of his head. 'Uh, yeah. Apparently.'

I know Peter won't tell me right away what he should tell me. He's the person who won't stop talking when he's happy and the most quiet person when he has something to tell. That's how I know, plus, the tension that's growing between us, I know there something Peter has been hiding. But I don't want to scare Peter so I decided to ask him about Harley. It's been hours since we landed in our safe house and with Harley's current state, I know it'll take extra time to heal both his mental and physical. This is not Harley's game. I believe this is Harley's first time getting involved with whatever this is.

But Peter's face was bitter then ever when he heard me asking about Harley. 'Yeah, he's fine. He's– he's safe and sound.'

I sighed in relief. 'Oh, thank God! I've been worrying about him since we escaped the hospital.' I took a seat because I felt like I can finally breathe in peace after hearing about Harley.

'You care about him, don't you?'

'Of course, I do!' I said. 'His body is not fully functioning yet. He can't move on his own without anyone's help. Of course, I'm worried about him.'

Peter stared at me for a few seconds long, as if expecting me to say that I was not serious about Harley. By the looks of Peter, I know he's trying to figure something out, but before I could ask what, he laughed and nodded his head to himself.