Chapter Nineteen

I don't know for long have I been asleep, but when I woke up with a news on the TV, my head hurts. I slowly opened my eyes and looked around to see everyone was indulged in the news. Not wanting to distract them, I watched it too.

     It a news about Peter fighting a villain called Mysterio in London. Peter won, of course. He's smart, after all. He always has his way to get things done perfectly. While the camera filming every person cheering for Peter's heroic actions, it didn't miss Peter's last moment with his female friend. Tall, dark skin, curly hair. Pretty. And they were kissing.

     My heart stopped. I got up and left. Only then everyone was aware that I'm up.

     "Terri, where're you going?"

     I ignored Harley as I escaped myself from showing people that I'm on the verge of tearing up. I got hurt, but at this exact moment, it made me forget what it was like to fight for Mom and Dad's attention when I was a child.

     I took as much time alone in another room. I don't know where I am now, but if I'm safe here so far I don't even care.

     "Hey." I smiled at Harley when he came to visit me. "Come on in."

     Harley smiled back at me sympathetically. He stood close beside me where I was sitting on the king sofa chair. "How're you?"

     "Hurt."

     "What happened between you two?"

     I know Harley liked me even from the first time we met. It's no secret. But I also happen to know that, right now, Harley genuinely cares about me as a friend. I shrugged, do not know what to answer.

     "Weren't you guys, like . . . . broke up long time ago?"

     I chuckled. "We never officially called it off," I opened up to although I don't know how he knew about Peter and I. "We just grew apart after my father died. Promised to stay in touch, but the phone calls were never the same."

     "Has he ever told you why he's pulling himself away?"

     I shook my head. "But he did say about seeing my Dad in me and that he missed him and their memories together."

     "Did you know that he's seeing someone else?"

     My eyes watered. I don't how many times I've cried today. "No. He didn't mention anyone."

     Harley crouched in front of so we are eye-level. He grabbed my hand. His thumb caressing it gently. "Well, he's a jerk. He fucked up big time. I'm sorry he did that to you, but he doesn't deserve you, anyway.

     "And you need to know that there's someone else will always be there for you."

     I looked at Harley in his eyes. "Oh, Harley, no."

     "No, that's okay. I get it. Apart from you being older than me, I get it," Harley said. "But I want to be friends with you and I want you to know that I'm here for you, okay? Maybe I can be your brother you could never have."

     I pressed my lips into a thin line. I do not know if I will be able to accept him as my little brother. At least, yet. I never really thought he was a friend either. Everything was happening so fast. Whenever I talk to him, is because I had to. For work. If this didn't happen, I don't think I want to have a connection with him.

     Once Harley left the room, I immediately sensed someone else's presence.

     "Like I said, Buck, you're not getting invisible the longer you stood there."