Chapter Twenty-two

Despite being the last person to sleep last night, I was the first person to awake the next morning. I made myself a cup of coffee and made breakfast, taking them to the room. I was not ready to meet people this early. And with a lot going on in my head right now, I needed some time alone.

     I asked Friday everything I could about the time-machine. She explained very clearly, but sometimes, a robot/AI, cannot do much. I did not have other choices but to call Peter, ask for his time for me just to explain to me about this.

     "Wait, I'm sorry. I'm speaking too fast. Do you understand what I'm explaining?"

     Peter is sweet. He is the type of person who will never let his friends left behind and be patient when his friend is making a slow progress. "It's still a progress," he would say.

     "Yeah, yeah, I get it. I make Friday copying what you say so I could refer to it later," I answered.

     Peter laughed. "Good. Anything more you want to ask? Oh, no. I didn't mean to dismiss you. That's rude."

     "Nope! That's just all. But if anything--"

     "Yes, please call me."

     Once I get all the information I want, I put my phone away and charted some plans. From Plan A to Plan B. I even got up to Plan D. I remarked the consequences, if we failed, what would happen to us. But towards the end, no plan sounded good except Plan A.

     I was indulge into my work when I heard someone knocking on my door. I looked up and saw none other than Bucky. He looked happy and fresh, like he has taken the nicest shower and just had the greatest breakfast of all time.

     "Good morning."

     "Morning," I greeted back. "Look at you, all smiles and washed up. Got a good night's sleep?"

     "I did. I guess the others, too, because they were loud as hell."

     I laughed at his statement. "Well, that's probably the best sleep they had than the entire months."

     "Agreed." Still leaning against the doorframe, he asked seriously, but gently, "You still mad at me about yesterday?"

     "To be honest, I'm not," I answered, keeping my eyes on my work laid out on the bed in front of me. "But if you do it again next time, you're no longer a part of this team."

     "Wow. That's harsh."

     "That's the only way to make you understand I do not like to be told or protected like that. I'm a grown up. I know what I'm doing."

     At the corner of my eye, I saw Bucky nodded his head understood. Then, there was silence. And awkward silence coming from him. It was so loud that bothered me, at one point.

     I looked up at him and I saw him scratching the back of his head and scrunching his face like he wanted to say something, but was too afraid to say it to me. I internally laugh. What did I do to make him intimidated by me?

     "Something bothering you, Bucky?"

     "Um, no. I'm just--"

     "Okay." I nodded, pretended to ignore him just to see his reaction. Sometimes, pushing someone isn't the best option. I got back to my work.

     "Wait, Terri. Actually, I do have something. May I come in?" He asked politely.

     My eyebrows furrowed. My eyes narrowed at him, wondering why the sudden manner. But I didn't object. "Come on in."