Chapter Fourteen

Once we arrived the Cabin, Rhodey quickly punched in Dad's secondary access, that he claimed it is for emergency and only he knows the access. Dad's thinking is way ahead of us. Sometimes, he makes me wonder if I'm really a physician and technologist child.

     I remember Dad's lab back in Malibu. Since the layout is round, it was easy for him to occupy every angle of the floor. In the middle, he had his multi-screen computer. He could be uploading his blueprint at one screen while playing a game at another screen and a visual half-painted Iron Man suit at another screen. The see-through neon monitor was around him so it's like he is engulfed with it when he sits in the middle.

     His big, working table is on the south from the entrance of his lab. That is the brightest part of the lab since he needed as much light as he could to drill his Iron Man pieces. Sometimes, that table turn into a hologram. I watched Dad switching it on many times that I begun to pick up the process. To try if what I knew will work, I called Dad himself. He was driving at the time, and his reaction to my successful was similar to when I succeeded hacking JCTC Headquarter security cameras in Berlin. Mad and proud.

     I didn't have a role in the Garage yet. While Harley helped Rhodey to switch on the computers and the electricity in the Garage, Sam and Bucky walked around the Garage, taking in the environment. I sat at one corner. It looks like a dining table. Small, but big enough for three people. I took out my phone, read a text message from Mom she sent few minutes ago. She told me that she is still on the way for their safe haven, but considered safe since they are out of the city. She asked for my updates with the boys. I quickly replied and told her that we're fine for now.

     Then I returned Home on my phone and touched the Contacts icon. I found myself scrolling my contact list and stopped at Peter's name. My finger lingered in the air for a few seconds as I contemplated either to call Peter or not. It's not that I miss him or I worry about him having a field trip across Europe. There's something in me wanting Peter to be honest with me about our relationship. Our distance is driving me crazy.

     Before I could press the Call icon, I heard someone cleared his throat. My heart skipped a beat, startled. I looked up only to find Bucky lookin at me.

     "Do you mind?" He pointed at the seat in front of him, opposite me.

     I glanced at the seat. I wanted to tell him to leave me alone, but somehow I know I need to overcome my uneasiness around him. "N- No. Please. Have a seat." I said bitterly.

     I watched Bucky took a seat. "Aren't you going to call him?"

     "Huh?"

     Bucky raised his eyebrows and jerked his chin towards the phone in my hand.

     I looked down at my hand. "Oh." Why did I set my phone to never auto-lock? "Um, nah. He probably won't pickup my call. He's busy."

     "That kid's still schooling, right?"

     At first, I wondered how he knew, but a quick thought came to me. An answer, more of it. Bucky was there during Civil War. Although he didn't properly meet Peter, but he recognised him.

     "What did he do to you?" Bucky sounded pushy.

     I stared at him, opened my mouth to say something meaner than what I meant, but I figured it was a waste of time to do that. It'd waste my energy to be hating him that hard. He probably mean nice. I laughed myself and shook my head.

     "Why are laughing?"

     "I don't know." I scoffed, finishing the last bit of my laugh. "It feels weird sitting with a man I hated with passion."