Chapter Twenty-four

I was not there to celebrate the blow up of Dad's time machine. I blacked out, too sick that Bucky had to retreat and brought me to the hospital. I don't know what happens in between, either, but when I finally open my eyes, the first thing that I was was the familiar hospital ceiling. And the first person that I saw was Bucky. His back was facing me. He was drowned to the tele movie they're showing.

     I tried to use my voice to catch his attention. Seeing his metal hand on my bed, I tried to move my hand to touch his. I panicked when none of them works. My heart rate rising. The heart monitor beeped and alarm. That caught Bucky's attention.

     He got up from his seat, pressing a button to call the doctor.

     "Terri. Hey, hey, you're okay," Bucky said soothingly. His metal arm rested on my shoulder, as if to push me back to lie down, when I was not even up. I cannot move.

     My eyebrows furrowed. My eyes watered as I looked up at him, wanting an explanation. What happened? Where's my voice? Why can't half of my body, particularly on my left side, can't move? Hell, I can't even feel a damn thing!

     One second after that, I heard the door open and close. Dr. Banner rushed in with a male nurse to attend me.

     "Good morning, Terri!" Dr. Banner came in with an awkward smile. Probably felt guilty for not joining out fight. "Good to see you up. It's been a week that you're asleep."

     I stared at Dr. Banner, begging him an explanation.

     Good thing, he understands.

     "Well, let's just say that the time machine had a chemical that no human should sniff it. Not even a little. Hence the hypervelentation and that sharp thing feeling in your brain. That's on the Big Guy, not me. And together with the temperature rising, you were spasming.

     "We had to run a few tests from your blood because you were irresponsive to the meds we gave you. You had several surgical in your lungs because it stopped beating for a few times. Your brain was a bit damaged from the chemicals so we did tests on that, too. You might have a mild stroke because you hit your head pretty bad back there. There's a clot behind your head."

     Dr. Banner paused from reading my medical report in his hand. "It was a miracle that you survived, Terri. I don't know what you saw in your dreams during those surgeries, but I bet they helped you."

     Dreams?

     Right. Right. Dad and Dr. Strange.

     It came out of nowhere. One time I blacked out, the next time I saw Dad asking Dr. Strange, out of all 14 millions outcomes, which one is the ending. When Dr. Strange called Dad and told/signaled him that this is it, before Dad do the snap, he asked if I were alive.

     "She will be," came the short and simple answer from Dr. Strange.

     For a split second, Dad's face lit up. But as soon as he realised that he won't be able to meet me once he snaps, his face turned sad. I felt his heart breaks. Then, I heard, "I'm sorry, Terri."

     It was a mutter, where he said it in a whisper, softly to himself.

     I looked down at my hands and tried to move them again, but to avail. Well, at least one of them not. My right hand is still functioning although still weak. Seeing it moved a little, Bucky grab them and squeezed it.

     "Right. The right part of your brain did more damage than your left. And the left part of your body are mostly jammed from shoulders to toe. You will get back your tongue, don't worry. But give it a few hours more. Your meds is quite heavy this time."

[2] FAR FROM HIM // t.starkजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें