Chapter Thirteen

I was taught to protect myself especially in the worst condition. Dad reminded me again and again that he won't be around all the time so I have to know how to stand on my own feet. Even when he was still alive, he will always leave me with Happy. Maybe that's the reason why I'm more comfortable talking to Happy than talking to my own parents. But still, I'm proud to be taught like that.

     A day after Dad's memorable funeral, Happy gave me a chip. Well, more like a USB driver, really. There was only one worksheet inside the driver and it's about taking after Morgan. He put a little note at the bottom of the page which saying that he was sorry for not being able to save me from Thanos. To think about it, does Dad know that I'm alive? That he saved millions of people including me, his daughter?

     There weren't anything much other than that. He told me that he was never fed up to teach me about computers no matter how many times I did not get it. He cherished the moment we spent together. He actually had a plan for us three when he landed home after being lost during their first time stopping Thanos, but I wasn't home and he lost his faith. This was, in fact, the second time he felt that way.

     There was an attachment to the file and it was a list of the plans that he wanted to fulfil them with me. Basically, he mostly wanted to re-do things I used to love to do when I was a child like hunting Easter Bunny, or riding rollercoasters, or a vacation. Those were great times, but I'm a grown up now. I don't think it's fun to repeat as an adult except, of course, the trip.

     I heard a knock on the door as soon as I finished reading them. I turned aroung to find Happy leaning against the doorframe with his bands in his trousers. Somehow, Happy was never not wearing suits. I wondered if he's grown to get comfortable in those.

     'Dad didn't know that I'm alive.'

     Happy sighed. 'I'm sorry you couldn't meet him for the last time.'

     'We were having breakfast at our old home,' I started. 'He talked a lot that morning, sharing jokes. Never mentioned Thanos. Maybe he didn't want to worry me because he wanted me to spend the day happily with Mom. Before he left he didn't say anything. He just smiled at me. And—'

     'That's the last time you saw him.'

     I nodded my head. My eyes glassy. 'Happy, I—' before I could say anything more, I cried my eyes out.

~•••~

After breaking down in front of Happy, I quuckly excused myself and went to bed. Well, if sleeping on the couch is also considered as going to bed so be it. Sometimes, it is easier to sleep after crying. I didn't dream about Dad. Just blank.

     In the middle of having a good night's sleep, I felt someone shaking my body vigorously. His voice came out like's it's urgent. 'Terri. Terri, wake up. We need to move.'

     I recognised that voice. It's Rhodey's. Knowing that Rhodey isn't joking around, I quickly wiped the sleep off my eyes and turned to look at him over my shoulder. 'What?'

     'We gotta move.' Rhodey looked so worried. 'They have found us here.'

     I shot up. 'What? H-How?'

     'I don't know,' Rhodey answered. 'I've made sure this place is as private as anywhere else. I don't know what went wrong.' He said while walking round the hall closing the curtains and switching off the lights to avoid attention. 'Could be someone we know betraying us.'

     As far as I know, we do not have anyone we know working as double agent. Almost every Avenger who are still alive decided not to commit to Shield or any agency related anymore. All of them are either vigilantes, going rogue, or retired from being a superhero.