Chapter Eighteen

I cherish the moments my family and I had together. And when I say my family, it always includes Happy Hogan. He's been a part of the Starks even before I was born so it would be foolish of me of not considering Happy as my family.

My family and I weren't a threat in the universe for eleven years. We were normal. We were just doing what every other human being on Earth was doing. You know . . . . going out to dinner at cheap restaurants, celebrating belated birthdays because none of us remember the exact date, Mom and Dad arguing about my future, Happy helping me with school works, even going out for a picnic. I said both of my parents were always busy to have a time for me, but I know they're trying their best not making feel neglected.

Let's take Dad taking me to London with him, as an example. It happened when I was around six years old. While my friends have to be in school, I have to follow my father across the globe because he didn't trust anyone to take care of me. I remember we had only make it for a few minutes together before Dad's cellphone rung and said that he was needed in the office. Also that time when he dragged me to press conferences eventhough he didn't necessarily have to bring me, but he liked knowing that I'm there for him. And those times when Dad took Mom and I for a picnic. Yes, the one Mom tried to continue doing, something calls tradition for her, but not to me.

Dad went to Afghanistan for his weapon's launching. I was 11 years old and I remember sitting at one corner of the room, keeping myself from feeling anything. I didn't want Dad to go there because we all know what happens in Afghanistan. However, Dad insisted he had to go, for work, and demanded me not to worry because Rhodey will be there with him. Only then I knew that he was lying. He was lost for a few weeks. We didn't know what happen to him. Rhodey wasn't able to track him even with his US Air Force technology. We prayed in silence while people have already mourn for Tony Stark's lost.

That's where everything started, where everything changed.

Dad shut down the weapons production he partnered with Obadiah Stane. Oh, Stane. He was a nice man, always treated me candies and always kept me occupied when Mom and Dad were busy. I understood Stane's rage towards Dad when Dad announced that Stark Industries will no longer manufacture weapons. He made the decisions himself without discussing with anyone beforehand. Tell me who wouldn't be pissed by that?

"Why did do it, Dad?" I asked the question that had ben lingering around my head for months. I might be young that time, but I was aware of my surroundings. Dad taught me to keep my eyes and ears open at all times. "Why did you choose to turn your back against OB?"

"Why do you care about me turning my back against OB?"

"He's your best friend, Dad. How could you do it to your best friend?" I raised my voice at him. Only if I knew that I'm going to regret it for the rest of my life. Not only the raising my voice part, but to question him about not trusting his friend he knew for ages. Dad was wrong to do that, but OB was the starting point of all Iron Man stuff.

"Listen to me, Terri. That man is not my best friend, but an enemy," Dad answered seriously. "Fine, he gave you candies and bought you ice-cream and cheese burgers, but don't let those fool you. Next thing we know, you could get hurt because of him."

"How do you know that he's bad?"

"I know. Deep inside my heart, I just know." Dad looked at me in the eye. His hand palming my cheek. His thumbs carressing it softly and soothingly. The look in his eyes seems as if he found the world in mine. And then there is the small smile tugged at the end of his lip. "I'm not asking you to stop befriending immediately, but be caredul around him, Terri. I promise we'll get the answer soon. Don't worry."