Chapter Four

Not that it's the first time, but I couldn't focus at school. My mind would be somewhere else while my teacher is teaching in front. Even when she's taking a round around the class to make sure that every one of his/her student is doing their assigned tests, I'd be sitting there numb. I didn't answer the tests. I let the answer column empty and I wasn't panicking when my teacher called the time.

     Truthfully, most of our teachers didn't know what to do with me. Mom had been called by the Principal many times, discussing about my behaviour at school, but no matter how much Mom nagged, nothing changed. Like a robot that had been scheduled, I wake up every morning, take my shower, go to school, pickup Morgan after school, then head home. Once homed, I'd sit in my room, looking out the window at the garage, wishing that I see Dad at the garage. Sometimes, I'm happy that my bedroom can oversee the garage, but sometimes, I feel like swapping bedrooms with Morgan because Morgan's overseeing the lake.

     Although it's not much different today, but I got a text from Harley on the last period at school, saying that he's stopping by my house this afternoon. To be honest, I was quite excited. I hadn't had many friends since Dad died. And since Dad died, some of whom pitied me thought that it's the right thing to do to someone who's just lost her father, not because they really cared.

     That hurts, though. All the opportunities I thought were genuine, but really. It only because of Tony Stark.

     When I'm home after picking Morgan at her school, I saw an unfamiliar black car parked at our driveway. There was a person outside, leaning against the black car while playing with his phone and with earphones in his ears. From his demeanour, I quickly recognised him as Harley. Tall, lean, sharp jaws. His quiff fell onto his forehead making him look better.

     'Hey,' I greeted once I parked my car beside his. I think it's rude to leave him to park my car in our private parking space. 'Sorry I made you wait. I had to pick up Morgan at her school.'

     'Hello, Harley!' Morgan quickly greeted and before Harley could wave back, Morgan has already disappeared inside the cabin to eat and to play with her dolls. I always cook for us for lunch after school, but since Harley is visiting today, I told her beforehand that I might take extra time to cook. She just said okay, didn't complain much.

     'Nah, don't worry much about it.' Harley smiled.

     'Uh, let's....come inside....shall we?' I said awkwardly. I haven't known Harley that much yet so I'm quite nervous to invite Harley into my house. The only common thing we have is that we both know who my father is.

     I led Harley inside the cabin.

     'Is it just you and Morgan?' Harley asked as he looked around our cabin. We hadn't changed anything since Dad died. What he remembered about our cabin back when he visited us for the funeral was still probably the same now. The table plants in betweens our family pictures on the fire mantel. Some old ironman masks that Dad didn't use anymore are still on the wall.

     'Yeap, just us,' I asnwered, throwing my school bag on the kitchen stool. 'Look, I'm going to cook for lunch. Do want to stay here or do you want to see the garage? Can I trust you with that?'

     Harley's face lit up when I mentioned about the garage. 'Seriously?'

     'Yeah. I mean, I can't keep you here or you're going get bored, am I right?' I said as confident as I could. Frankly, I'd be very happy if he said no and said that he could wait until we finish lunch because it is still hard to trust any person, but so far since I know Harley, from what Dad told me about him enough to make me trust him with Dad's techs. 'Do me a favour and bring Morgan along. You don't have to worry about her misbehaving because she's a nice kid.'