Chapter Sixteen

I talked to Mom for a few minutes, updating here and there to each other. She told me that she is doing great with Clint's family. Everyone there pretty much has gone through the same situation. Even though Clint got his family back and Mom and I didn't, but they never Mom and Morgan felt sad over the lost. They fill them up.

     Mom told me Morgan was having fun with Clint's children and that Morgan finally has friends her age. I tried to be happy for her, especially when Mom told me how Morgan has also been asking when will I come back.

     No Dad anymore? That fast, huh?

     "Do you know Morgan looks up to you? A lot?" Mom would say when she sensed that I can't accept anything she tells me about Morgan. She knows how I gave her cold shoulder and barely treat her like my own family.

     "Really?" I asked monotonously.

     "She always asks about you when you're not around. She asks what Dad would do if he sees you sad. She wants to know where Dad took you to make you happy."

     "Just tell her that I'm happy as long as she's not around."

     "Terri?!" Mom grunted. "I asked her if you ever made her sad. Do you know what she says? She says you never made her sad and asks me why you are always angry with her."

     I raised my eyebrows. "If she knew that I'm angry with her then why she keep doing it?"

     Mom sighed in frustration. She sounded like she wanted to reply something mean to me, but instead, she said, "I don't think you needed a reminder about how hard it was — for me and your father — when you were lost, do you? Your Dad came back after 24 days. I mean, I was happy, of course. That was until Tony asked for you." Mom sniffled. "To be honest, I wouldn't wish you to see how he looked like. Yeah, it would be different if you were there when he asked for you, but things happened, Terri."

     "At least, you met Dad before . . . . you know . . . ."

     "Why don't you think about those happy times you spent with your father instead of thinking that one thing that wouldn't change a thing?" Mom said.

     What do you think I'll be thinking when I'm sitting alone?

     There are tons of it. That time when Dad let me skip school so that I could "help" him with his inventions. I wasn't helping much. I just didn't want to go to school and Dad loved me as a company so he let me skip school. That time when Mom and Dad got back together. When Dad brought me to a luxury holiday trip because I saved Mom from Hammer's androids. Also when he was so angry at me and stopped me from going to a certain school trip because he knew there was a threat.

     Those made my heart softened and I wish Morgan had the same experience.

~***~

Sam and Rhodey made sure the coast is clear before Dr. Banner arrived while Harley prepared his knowledge — every knowledge he has — for our project. It might look easy to build something when the foundation's been given. Dad's invention is beyond amazing, but being me, with low capability with these physics-chemistry-technology-whatever-it-is thing, I find it hard to do it. I wish Dad provided a video guide on his thoughts of how he sees this thing works in the future. But, still I made sure that everyone understands what I want when I briefed them.

     Dr. Banner doesn't look like he wants to be here. He looks uncomfortable to be surrounded by me and his friends although he pretty much have worked with them countless of times. It is awkward to see Dr. Banner in his green form when he's not angry and he didn't make it easy on us, too. His awkwardness and constantly fidgeting when he's with us seems as if he's trying to find a way to escape.

     Rhodey and Harley are already indulged into their work of line, their faces are already planted on the blueprint, figuring out which part needs to stay and which part needs to be removed. I know Rhodey has a lot on his shoulders right now since he's lost his control room that enables him to protect Dad's time machine, but here he is. With me. Building something. Bucky and Sam are somewhere in the woods, keeping an eye on the perimeter.

     I approached Dr. Banner, who is standing near Dad's metal shelves, watching Morgan's toys displayed on the shelves as if they're trophies. Wish I could read his mind to hear what he's thinking.

     "You miss him too, huh?" I greeted softly, not wanting to startle him. But I saw his shoulders jumped before turning around to see me.

     He gave me a small smile. "Who wouldn't?" He took a deep breath as he turned back around and observed Morgan's painting and drawings pasted on the wall. "He's a good guy, despite . . . . y'know his big mouth and his personality. He'd helped me and the other guy a lot before—" he gestured his hand on himself, "—this happen. And I appreciate it. I appreciate him."

     "I still haven't accepted that he's gone, to be honest," I finally confessed the thing that I haven't thought of confessing it to anyone especially Mom. "Everything just happened so fast. It feels like yesterday that I followed his tail during Civil War."

     Dr. Banner softly chuckled, remembering the old days. Then, he shook his head. "Everything was easy back then. Don't you feel that way?"

     I nodded my bead, continued bowing down as I wiped my silent tears.

     "Yeah. Tony was quick to make a decision and he doesn't hesitate to make one especially when it comes to his family's safety," Dr. Banner said. "Hear me, Terri. He loved you very much. Don't you ever think the opposite."

     "But I never got to see him, Bruce," I said. "Not— Not before he—" I hiccupped. My silent tears are not silent anymore. Dr. Banner is there to witness me being a baby.

    "Nah," Dr. Banner clicked his tongue. "You're always on his mind. Everytime he wanted to do something, he'll say it's for you. Don't tell Morgan I said that." He whispered on the last sentence.

     I laughed at that. "Didn't plan on it." I smiled. "And Dad's time machine is lost. Well, at least, the control room had been hijacked. No one knows how."

     Dr. Banner nodded understood. "I have a theory. It's someone we know who does it. But how's Pepper?"

     I raised my eyebrows at Dr. Banner. "Are seriously asking me that right now?"

     "Oh, c'mon! The situation is pretty much stressful already. We don't need another two human beings stressed over the stressful situation. So, how's your mother? I believe your little sister is with her, too?"

      I cringed when Dr. Banner said "your little sister".

     "How are they? Are they somewhere safe?"

     "Uhh, yeah. They're safe," I answered. "They're with Clint. And he's taking care of them well. Remind me to give a souvenir as a gift to Clint and his family after this is over on my Dad's behalf."

     Dr. Banner's face lit up. "Oh, is it something like a come over and we have a dinner together like Thanksgiving? Or a present like you want to wrap it with a cute wrapping paper? Because I'd love to do both."

     "Bruce! This is not a party!" I laughed.

     "Oh, right. I almost forgot. How's your boyfriend?"

     Dr. Banner's voice suddenly became loud. It traveled through every angle of the garage causing Rhodey and Harley to look up and look at us. Rhodey being Rhodey. He smirked at me before returning to his work, not wanting to get involved. Harley, on the other hand, stared at me and Dr. Banner. He looks interested in the topic Dr. Banner and I are talking about.

     "I'm not answering that question," I replied. I figured that the safe answer seeming how I don't have an answer.

     "Did he do something to you? Where is he now? Should we call him?"

     "N-no, no. He didn't do anything to me," I answered, looking everywhere except at Dr. Banner. "He is . . . . somewhere in Europe. His school hosted a European tour."

     "What?" Dr. Banner's eyebrows raised.

     "Nevermind. At least, if there's anything happen in Europe, we don't have to worry because we have an Avenger there." I tried to give Dr. Banner a genuine happy-for-Spiderman smile.