Chapter Twenty-one

Sam and I could work this mission together because after all, he has his Redwing. He could help see what's we can't see. But, no. He didn't agree with me doing this and now I'm doing this this alone.

     I asked Friday to see if there's anyone on the land. She scans every angle of that ground to see if there are any threats, see if the thieves somehow planted any bombs to kill us. The results turns out negative. Just as I thought, nobody was there. Either they got back to their old lives or got killed in the process or the police somehow caught them and brought them to jail, I don't know. Dad's Cabin and Garage are pretty private from public. We didn't have any news. And I like it like that.

     I landed on top of the burnt land where it used to be Dad's Garage. The Cabin was partly torn, in which, we could gather some things later. But the Garage has nothing left. Just crumples of heavy piles of stones, glasses shattering into pieces, sparks of wires indicating the current is still flowing. The smell, a mixture of burnt plastic and metal. Most of Morgan's drawings are burnt, though there were small chunks that are black at the border and still got small, red fire eating the paper. Her toys are sprawled everywhere on the ground, but I still think we can save them a little of them if she still wants them.

     As I walked around, I felt bumpy underneath my foot. I looked down, removed my foot, only to see someone's hand popping out of the sand. I didn't react. I didn't feel anything, though. This person deserved it.

     Not long after that, Bucky, Sam and Rhodey arrived. Bucky came with Sam meanwhile Rhodey came with his own suit. Just like how I reacted, they looked around the place with eyes wide open and jaws hung low.

     "Holy shit," Sam said.

     "Dad weren't joking," I said, my eyes were fixed on a broken logo amongst the piles of stones. "That video of Dad telling Friday was not just for show. It was real. Where's Harley?"

     "Safe. He doesn't have an armour to be here," Bucky answered. He looked annoyed.

     I rolled my eyes at him.

     "Oh God, you were right." Rhodey walked around what's left of Dad's Garage. "There were no trace of Tony at all."

     "But the Cabin looks fine?"

     "I noticed, too. I'm going to grab some things. I'll be back."

     "Seriously?" Bucky grabbed my arm and pulled me harshly. He sounded frustrated with me. I do not understand why.

     I turned to look at him in annoyance and retreated my arm back with a grunt. "Why are you so afraid to be here?"

     "I'm not afraid. It's just dangerous. Even if your father's techs are gone, but the time machine still exists. They might want that now."

     "Yes, Bucky. I know that, but why are you suddenly be nervous about this when you could just be apart of this mission and help me? Fight with me?"

     "I am fighting this with you. Am I not obvious enough?" Bucky's veins jutted out as he argues with me.

     "No. To me, it's not! To me, you're stopping me from fighting to protect of what my father's have left. You see this?" I pointed this land. "This wouldn't happen if we fought them two weeks ago! Morgan could learn how to invent by my father's guide. She could have a piece of him. A piece that we destroyed!"

     "You can always teach her to rebuild them!"

     "I'm not a genius!" I cried. "I'm not a scientist! I do not have a mind like my grandfather or my father. But Morgan does! I know what my father wants in his life, Bucky! I'm trying to do it on his behalf."