Chapter Finale

Bucky asked me to have a lunch with him. He said he has something to talk about with me. I can tell that something is eating him up ever since we met. And after all that happened, I guess it doesn't hurt to give Bucky a chance, just like Steve advised me. After all, who am I going to ask for help if there's something happening in the future? But even that, Bucky had to ask me a few times until I agreed to hang out with him.

     "Hey," Bucky greeted when he arrived. I was sitting at the porch by myself while going through comic books online.

     "Oh, you're here." I smiled. "Let's get this over with."

     I grabbed my crutches, limped towards his car.

     I entered his car with ease. Better than how I've been doing months before because my body recognises his car now and knows how to do it itself. Still, Bucky still had to help me opening and closing the door because my grip still needs improvement.

     "I know I shouldn't ask this seeming that you've lived here for a while now, but how's the house?" Bucky asked as he drives under speed limit.

     "Good," I answered with an amused smile. "Although it's weird without hearing any of the AIs voice, but it's a good start."

     "You look like you're enjoying it."

     "I am," I answered happily. "As a matter-of-fact, I feel free. Like something is finally out of my chest."

     "How's your family?"

     At the corner of my eye, I saw Bucky looking at me intently, like there's something, in particular, that he wants to hear from my mouth. Though, I don't know what is.

     "They're good. Happy. Although Mom needed to travel a few miles to work, but she's not complaining so far. And Morgan has friends at school, whom they come over every now and then."

     Bucky gave me a genuine smile. "Sounds awesome."

     I took him to a familiar restaurant nearby my house – new house that Mom bought and we just moved in for almost six months. Although the town is quite foreign to me, but I like it. I like knowing that nobody knows me. Therefore, no one will ask me about Dad. No one will ask who's going to take over Iron Man, who's going to be his legacy. I'll be in peace here.

     After lunch, we didn't go straight home. Bucky asked if we could have a time at the playground nearby and I agreed. Not like I have anything to do at home, though. I'm homeschooled so I have a bit extra time than those who are schooling. Plus, Bucky was being his quiet self during lunch. In which, just another side of him when he is drowned in his own thoughts, but choosing the right time to talk about it.

     There were a lot of people there. People who do not recognise us as the Winter Soldier or Avengers daughter or Iron Man's daughter. They see us as regular people who take their time strolling by the park to have a time together. We took a seat at an empty bench. Bucky made sure we're safe before he opened his mouth to talk.

     Well, maybe one of us is still skeptical about the world.

     "Listen, the thing that I wanted to talk to you about might effect your mood," Bucky started.

     I was wondering what he meant by that, but I didn't ask. I kept quiet and let him continue.

     "What happened to your father's parents, Terri. I'm sorry." Bucky sighed and shook his head, fidgeting and playing with his thumbs.

     I get it now. When he said what he's going to say might effect my mood, is this. Him apologising, him mentioning Dad and Dad's parents. Indeed, he's been asking for an apology every now and then. After we blew off Dad's time machine and I got sick, he'll ask me every night if I'm okay. He wants to help if I want help despite the requests. He helped us moving in our furniture months ago. He brought me to a doctor's appointment when Happy and Mom couldn't make it.

     "It hasn't stopped haunting me at night. Now that Tony's gone, I– I never get to apologise to him."

     "Is that why you suddenly being protective of me? That you suddenly being so kind?"

     Bucky clicked his tongue. "A part of it," he answered and let the answer lingered in the air although he looked like he wanted to continue.

     I sighed. "Well, if this makes you feel better, I actually forgave you a long time ago. It's just . . . . my ego . . . . that I– uh–."

     Bucky laughed. "Right. Stark. You're all the same for three generations and yet I'm still surprised with your behaviours."

     "Do I still surprise you now?"

     "You do," Bucky said confidently. "But it's a good thing even though it's a bad thing."

     "How so?"

     "You never make me angry or mad at you, Terri. No matter how much you blamed me for your Dad's parents' death. Or when you wanted things to be done alone, denied my help. Like, I'm surprised with how stubborn you are. I don't blame you. I'm not mad at you for that. Maybe I have to find a trick to let you let me help you next time.

     "Oh, and remember when you rejected me when I asked you to come and have a lunch with me? To be honest, I was hurt. Kind of like I've never felt before because I thought, after all these mess, you kind of opened up your arms to me. But even that, I wasn't mad at you. I know I was wrong in the first place."

     Huh. Is that how much he's been paying attention to me?

     I don't know what to reply to him. I don't know if it's a good thing to feel something towards it. Unlike everybody else, when I said I don't want their help, they'd leave me alone. Sure as hell, not Bucky.

     We dwelved into a comfortable silent for a moment seeming no one has anything to say. Bucky didn't seem to be bothered when he made himself known to my stubbornness, but he makes me wonder what else does he notice about me. I didn't ask. Maybe next time we meet, but not today. I'm still processing of what's happening.

     In my pocket, my phone suddenly rang. I picked it up, talked to the caller for a moment. I know Bucky is listening to every conversation I'm having with her.

     "It's Mom," I told him after we said goodbye. "She's asking me to come home now. We're taking Morgan to a picnic at the beach. Apparently, my sister is obsessed with beach."

     "Sister, huh?" Bucky looked at me with eyes that look like he's about to mock me.

     "Why?" I laughed nervously.

     "If I remember it correctly you never called her your sister," he pointed out.

     "Yeah, I guess, I changed." I shrugged. My face fell and all happiness in me suddenly gone. I suddenly felt wrong for doing so. What is this?

     "Hey! No, no, no!" Bucky quickly reacts. "I didn't mean it in a bad way," Bucky said softly. "Don't worry about it. You're changing to be a better version of the old you. And it's nice to see you being friends with your sister. She came with the same blood as you. Your father would be happy to see you reconcile with her."

     I gave him a small smile.

     "Let's go. Don't want your sister waiting on you too long." Bucky helped me up and we walked to his car with my pace. "Hey, can I join your family gathering?'

     "No," I said sternly. "It's a just my family and Harley. It's a tradition."

     "But Happy and Harley are there!'

     "Happy has been my family before I was even born," I replied. "Meanwhile, Harley. He's somehow became my little brother."

     "Why don't you change the tradition by bringing a new member to your family?"

     "No. We're not families. We're enemies who happened to be allies."

     "A good ally.'

     I nodded my head. "An ally whom I can bully to help me moving things around and bring me anywhere I want."

     "That even sounds better." Bucky and I laughed. "I like that you laugh again."

-THE END-