It Comes Naturally

Par nerdyflirtykari

Moving to a new town means nothing to some people but for Erica Hollis moving to a new country meant a lot. H... Plus

Prologue
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
Special Feature
14. - A Promise of Forever
A Promise of Forever
A Promise Of Forever
A Promise of Forever
15. - A Promise Of Forever
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
Bonus Chapter
30.
31.
32.
33.
Epilogue
Extra #1 - The Young Master

23.

2.6K 202 52
Par nerdyflirtykari

Spencer

The blow-up of Bree's prank lasted through the night and into school the next day. The reactions were both positive and negative but the positive side of things outweighed the smug comments of jealous students. As expected, Raine didn't attend school, it was understandable and they didn't hold it against her. The group carried about their day as normal, but they can feel the strain on the group. Their worry for Raine was great and on top of that, Ayanna and Mischa weren't speaking. 

Ayanna confided in Erica of walking in on Mischa and a new girl in a very compromising manner. Apparently, the two didn't care about the security cameras in the classroom but the image of the girl on her knees before Mischa was imprinted in her mind. She cursed herself for always being at the wrong place at the wrong time. On the other hand, the places she spotted Mischa and some random girl were common places she will either use or pass for her school activities. It had her thinking that he was doing these things intentionally and that thought made her hurt even more.
"It's his life. Who am I to get upset or jealous of. I'm just a friend."

Erica didn't mention the late-night phone call to Elijah but it turned out she didn't have to. The school called his parents about Mischa's indiscretion, putting him on janitor duty over the weekend at the school and him working on a new job site with his uncle. Elijah was downright annoyed with his cousin's new behavior. The boys were taught to respect themselves and the women they encounter and here Mischa was doing the opposite.
Harem lashed out but something else was bothering him. He left school early stating he had some errands to run but Erica and Ayanna caught a look both he and Elijah shared. The girls let it be, thinking the cousins had their own thing going on.

By the end of the school day, everyone needed a bit of time to themselves. Elijah didn't want time by himself, he wanted his girl but he understood that the weekend was important to her. Aside from the little issues surrounding the group, he still comforted her and placate her nerves throughout the day. Holding her hand as he drove her home, he kept up the mindless chatter they started to keep her mind worry-free. 

Parking outside of her house, he grinned at the normality of seeing her father tinkering with a car in the driveway of their home. Once or twice when he brought her home this early, her father was always fixing someone's car. Whether it's the neighbors or one of his extra jobs from his garage. Erica told him with the proudest smile on her face that her father can fix anything mechanical and you will get a good day's work done on your vehicle. Elijah thought it cute and great progress in her relationship with the man. If he didn't know the background story of her reason for coming to the US, he would have thought they have had that bond since her birth.
Grabbing her bag from the backseat, he quickly got out of his car greeted her father then helped her out. Hand in hand they walked up the driveway towards Julius, who was wiping the grease off his hands waiting on them.

"Yuh know it's just de weekend right? Yuh could still call she," Julius teased.

"I know," Elijah muttered, lowering his head in embarrassment. Erica stayed quiet wondering if her aunt and cousins were already there. From conversations between her father and their family, they all wanted to come visit Erica but Julius was able to schedule their visits one weekend each. Meeting new people wasn't her strong point. She tends to get defensive of everything until she acknowledges the fact that they're not out to get her. 

"Come over tomorrow night. We go have a little lime," Julius said tucking the grease-stained rag into his back pocket.

"Lime?" Elijah asked thinking why he should visit for a fruit.

"Not dat kind ah lime," Erica clarified with a grin. "Daddy means to hang out. Lime is used as slang back in Tobago. We just chill out with food an' music, nothin' big like de fete and dem."

"Fete?" he countered still confused with the additional slang.

"Oh. Uh... Fete big parties like a concert ting. Ah explain dat good?" Erica asked herself.

"Yuh giving de boy ah headache. Elijah just come around with yuh friends around seven tomorrow. Okay?" her father said, easing Elijah's mind.

"Sure. I can't wait. I'll see you tomorrow then. Text me before you sleep." 

Julius left the two to their lonesome when he saw the blush on the boy's face after he nervously took hold of Erica's hand. The older man found it endearing that the teen was nervous to hold his girlfriend's hand and was respectable to his presence. It all brought him back to how Elijah was dealt a bad hand in his last relationship, hopefully, Erica can give him back his peace of mind. 

                                                           *****

"Have fun with your cousins and I will see you tomorrow night." 

Erica didn't wait for him to make the first move, she wrapped her arms around his body and buried her face into his chest. She can hear clearly the moment his heart rate quicken and found it sweet her heart did the same when he practically wrapped his tall frame around her. He gave the best hugs. "It feels like I won't be seeing you for years when it's just for a day," he muttered. The two spent every moment together whether it's at school or afternoon hangouts, even video chats that went into all hours of the night till one of them falls asleep. Elijah and Erica passed the get to know you stage of their relationship to full supporters of each other.

"Ah know," she groaned raising her head from his chest for one of his special kisses. He smiled knowing what she needed, he took that moment to appreciate the luck he received in having her in his life. 

"My beautiful island flower," he whispered. Slowly he brushed his lips against hers, feeling her fingers tighten on his jacket as she tried to mold her body against his permanently. He wished the same was possible, he loved feeling her curves against his muscled body, to have her favorite perfume on his clothes and whatever light lipstick she wore on his skin. Erica always found a way to kiss him in places of his body that he didn't expect. Changing after school is a treasure hunt for him, always grinning like a loon when he finds her mark on his body. 

"Baby," she whined impatiently when he nipped at her lips, teasing not only her body but her mind.

"Yes?"

"Stop playin' nah," she stressed.

Elijah laughed against her lips before giving her what she needed, not want, needed. Her hands found his hair and in one swift move, she had his hair loose, falling between her fingers. He groaned between their heated kiss when she began to gently massage his scalp with her fingers. Tongues danced with each other, teeth playfully nipping kiss swollen lips as they leisurely swayed to their own song, moments of being lost in each other's arms were the best for the couple. Taking short breaks to breathe, they didn't want to stop, reluctantly Elijah was the one who did. 
Nose to nose, they both held each other's gaze with small indulgent smiles on their swollen lips. "You're amazing," he whispered.

"You're my dream come true," she returned. 

"See you."

    "See you."

One last kiss, they pulled apart with Erica watching him leave, Elijah glanced over his shoulder every two steps he took, thinking she will disappear before he reached his car but she didn't. She stayed in the driveway until he left her home and out of sight.

Glumly she entered her home through the kitchen entrance, her father was at the table going over his day's work. 

"Carlene called. Her flight taking off soon, yuh want to make dinner tonight or yuh good," he asked looking up from his paperwork.

"Ah guh make dinner. Need to do somethin', kinda nervous in meeting de girls dem," she said dropping her bag on the chair. 

"Its been ah while since she bring dem here. I think it's five or six years. Ah can't tell when last ah really talk to dem to, when visiting yuh granny, dey busy with friends or away from the adult so I can't really say wuh kind of people dey is."

Julius told her about her new family, the reason why they were now American citizens, and the growth of their family. The story was actually similar to most islanders who migrate to countries outside of the Caribbean. Mothers and fathers leave their kids behind with family searching for a better life for them all. No matter how long they stay in the foreign country or how little they were able to send until they can bring their kids into their new life.

 It was already planned that her first Christmas in the US will be at her Grandmother's house in Ohio. She was looking forward to it, a new family but first she had to meet her eldest aunt and cousins. 

"Okay," she mumbled, putting all her attention into the mixing of the dough. She decided to prepare comfort food she always goes to whenever she traveled between the islands. After mixing the dough, she took out the chicken breasts, sausages and made a light green salad before leaving to go freshen up. Her father informed her the flight from Florida will be close to two hours and that included the time they will take to arrive at the house. That was enough time for her to take a good warm shower, prepare her room for visitors, and chat with her friends. When she checked her phone, she realized they were all in the middle of a very important conversation. Erica scrolled through the previous messages to catch up and found her heart aching for her new friend.

Taylor: Tomorrow I'm going...

Ayanna: We can come with you if you like. 

Taylor: Thanks for the support but I think I need to do this with fewer people around. H will drive to the funeral home.

Raine: You call or visit us if you need a friend.

Taylor: And here I thought you needed the support more than me.

Raine: It's all trivial if you look at it now. A simple high school heartache can be forgotten in a matter of days but this is your mom. You lost her and that's forever.

Taylor: It still hasn't become a reality to me as yet. I know she's gone but my mind hasn't caught up to it yet.

Alec: You will soon and when you do, there's nothing better than having friends around. They keep you sane in times like these.

Elijah: Correction, genuine friends. Some people tend to exploit one's grief.

Erica: Hey. 

Raine: Hi! We thought you were busy with the new cousins.

Ayanna: Are you hiding from them?

Trey: It isn't polite to ignore your guests, miss islander.

Ayanna: Who else is picturing Trey sitting at that large oak desk in his room texting with tons of books open on his desk.

Raine: Oh and don't forget the glasses.

Harem: And a cup of coffee on the desk.

Alec: Don't forget his demon dog by his feet.

Elijah: LMFAO. Wait. Wait. I'll get proof of our guessing.

Trey: Johnson, don't you dare!

Erica: 😆 Do it. We wanna know.

Harem: Future CEO people.

It wasn't long before Elijah posted a candid photo of Trey sternly looking at the camera, leaning over his desk with his arms firmly on the surface probably about to admonish whoever took the photo.

Erica: Baby I'm sorry for this next comment. Damn Trey, where have you been hiding all of that. Eye Candy, yummy.🤤🤤

Elijah: Lol. He gets a pass tonight.

Raine: Look at that, I'm in a good mood once again.🥵

Taylor: Well hello. I think I just found the cure to all grief and sadness.😏😏

Ayanna: I hereby confirm my sexuality as straight.😈

Erica: AHHHHH!!! 🤣🤣💀Good one.

Taylor: Epic!

Alec: Trey, look, your own fan club.

Harem: 🤣🤣🤣😭

Elijah: LOL!! He even got my girl in his club.

Trey: Thank you, girls. Elijah, please refrain from recruiting my brother for your photo ops. 

Erica: Total daddy vibes.

Ayanna: Ikr, like dudeeeee thank heavens I see you as a brother.

Taylor: ... and picture saved. 😁😁

Alec: I'm now interested in the contents of your camera, lol.

The photo clearly showed Trey's perfectly muscular chest and heavily veined arms from rigorous workouts. His tanned skin was identical to Elijah's which was a result of their biracial background. Loose shirts were Trey's style mixed with the ever-popular Jpop and Kpop fashion influences from his best friend. The two usually passed for brothers that way which amused the group at times. Overall, Trey was conservative, not that flashy, and more of a background person but his alpha male aura tends to make him stand out. 

Taylor: Wouldn't you like to know. 😘

Alec: Geez woman I can hear your teasing through your words.

Trey: Why do I have a feeling that there is more than one photo of me in your camera roll and of someone else.

Taylor: Once again your perception is correct, moody Trey. 😏

Harem: I'm going to barf. The flirting amongst you three is near as bad as Elijah and Erica, yet interesting. Hmmm.

Raine: Ooop!

Ayanna: (Coughs)

Erica:🤣 Ha! Finally! 

Elijah: Hey, I figured it out a long time.

Erica: After I showed you.

Elijah: Babeeeeeeee🥺

Erica: Anywhooooo, Harem thank you for making our three subjects quiet. I want to invite you guys to a little hangout...

Elijah: A lime.

Harem: What? What about limes?

Raine: Are we saying our favorite fruit? Lime though?

Trey: Why are we focused on limes?

Ayanna: Idk ask Elijah. Do we need to bring limes?

Erica: 🙄Oh gosh boy.

Elijah: Sorry baby. 😁☺

Erica: Mr. Happy go lucky there was just excited to learn a little Tobago slang. Daddy and I inviting you guys to a lime or hang out, at our house tomorrow night. Food and drinks nothing big. If you like, you can come around six or seven. Taylor if you decide to stay in that's alright, know that we're here for you.

"ERICA!" 

"Yes, daddy!" 

The calling of her name distracted her from the group chat, making her aware of the time passed, and the new voices in her home.

"Come, yuh aunty and cousins here," her father returned.

"Comin'"

Going back to the chat she laughed softly at the amusing bickering that began among her friends.

Erica: Aye, they're here. Talk to y'all later.

Elijah: Bye baby, text me before you go to sleep. 🥰😘

Erica: I will. 😘🥰

Raine: Good luck and check ya boo's IG page. Someone is so mushy tonight.🤭

Harem: All lovey-dovey.

The others chimed in with Elijah's mushy display on IG and Erica knew her boyfriend was blushing like crazy. 

Erica: Leave my baby alone. Laters.✌🏽

Elijah: Y'all heard her, she says to leave me alone. 😋😁

Shaking her head, she exited the chat knowing they will continue to tease him for a while then move on to another person. Putting her phone in the back pocket of her jeans, Erica took a deep breath and left her room. Walking down the short hallway, the voices of her father and a woman got louder as she got closer.

"Good night," she greeted everyone. They all turned to her, Julius rose from his seat and came to her side, ushering her further into the living room. The woman who was beside him quickly got to her feet and came towards Erica.

"She looks just like mammy, oh my word," the woman gushed.

"Hi, Aunty Carlene."

"Do you know how long I haven't heard the raw dialect of back home? Hi sweetie," Carlene returned bringing her into a tight hug. Her island accent was heavily tinged with the American accent whereas with her father his accent was still there with a slight American. He speaks more dialect around her which made her feel at home.

"Come. These are your cousins, my two girls. Shian and Anika."

Her aunt led her to the two girls who were still seated on the sofa with their heads in their phones. They didn't even glance her way but that gave Erica a chance to take in the difference between each other. They both shared the fair creamy skin tone with dark curly hair, she knew their light skin and curly texture were due to their Caucasian father. The oldest was Shian, her hair was short to her scalp, multiple piercings in her ears and she wore more revealing clothes Erica knew she will be uncomfortable in. Her built was slender, everything about the girl screamed flashy, unapproachable, and snooty. 
The other was curvy with a bit of additional weight, her dark curly hair was wild framing her plump face, her dress code was more to hide her figure rather than to show it off. That didn't deter the vibe Erica was getting from the girl, the whole 'better than you' thing. 

"Hi," she called out.

They simply glanced her way, eyed her boldly then went back to their phones.

"Girls! Have some manners," their mother said sharply. Both sighed in annoyance and reluctantly got to their feet. "Hello. It's nice to meet you, I'm Shian this is Anika," the slender one said pointing to her sister. 

"I'm Erica. Yuh want to carry yuh bags in my room now? Ah have to finish dinner fuh we to eat."

The girls' expressions changed from annoyed to disgusted when they heard her speak. Julius was about to say something but their mother stepped in front of both father and daughter to stop whatever he was about to say. "Go and rest your bags in the room then come back here right after," Carlene said firmly. Shian sucked her teeth harshly and grabbed her bag. "I don't know why we had to come here anyway," she muttered lowly but they all heard. Her little sister followed her closely ignoring her mother completely.
Erica was confused all around, her eyes wide with incredulity. The first question that came to her mind was- How are they still alive? They were awfully rude not only to their mother but to others. That was an automatic backhand slap to the face or a pounding slap to the shoulder with the order to apologize and give a better greeting. 

All she had to say was wow.

"Ummmm... Ah go be in the kitchen." Erica said leaving the adults in the living room. She quickly got her phone and relayed to her friends how the first meeting went. Intermittently she checked her phone reading and replying to messages as she fried the chicken and sausages for dinner. Fried bake which was literally fried dough flatten was the main dish and the meats were the fillers. It wasn't long when she was through with dinner and placed everything in the dining room. 

"Daddy, ah done," she called out from the room. She wanted to make sure everything was perfect. 

"Girls, dinner is ready," Carlene called out. 

Julius entered the dining room with his sister in tow, who gushed about everything Erica made, complimenting her on the wonderful smells and how delicious it all looked. Her father beamed when he eyed the laid-out dishes on the table, he eagerly sat at the head of the table waiting for everyone to join.

 Shian and Anika came in next and simply sat down at the table. They eyed the food and sneered in disgust. "I'm not hungry," Anika commented sitting back in her seat and going back to her phone.

"What are those things in the sausage and why is it wet?" Shian asked using a fork to poke at them.

"That's how we cook dinner or breakfast sausages back home. Onions, pimentos, chives are all fried with the chopped sausage with some ketchup. You can add whatever vegetables you want, I used to like this when I was younger," Carlene said in glee. Her daughters watched on as she placed three large bakes on her plate, cut open each one, and filled it with either chicken, sausages, and green salad. Julius handed her the homemade pepper and tartar sauce before fixing his own plate. Erica did the same and eyed her cousins.

"Allyuh ain't hungry?" she asked.

"Nope."

"Hmph, suit ya self," Erica returned. 

The dinner table went quiet with three out of the five people eating and conversing. "So how old are you guys?" 
Erica was trying to make conversation but they simply ignored her. "They're nineteen and fifteen," Carlene answered for them.

"Why are you answering for dem? Those are big girls, ah sure they can speak for dem selves," Julius commented, eyeing the girls who were rolling their eyes and actually sulking.

Deciding to try again, Erica asked them about Florida and if they had ever been to Tobago. The only answers she received were 'It's fine' and 'no'.  "Can we be excused?" Shian asked huffing in irritation. 

"No."

"Yes, sweetie."

Brother and sister answered at the same time but it was their mother they listened to. Feeling uneasy about the coming days with her cousins giving her such a welcome, she wanted them to leave right away. She didn't want to find out the reason for their attitudes, she believed first impressions are always true. They didn't hide their true nature in front of their mother and uncle, what was there to doubt.

"Yuh have dem too spoiled," Julius grumbled.

"They're just warming up to Erica.  By the end of the weekend, they will be great friends. So hun, tell me about your new school. How are you adjusting? I'm sure it hasn't been easy with your island accent, I forced myself to talk in proper English so I can have friends and be understood." The woman went on and on, not giving Erica time to answer her questions, Julius was growing frustrated not by her incessant chatter but by his daughter's look of discomfort.

"Carlene! Let the girl talk nah, geez. Look why don't we all turn in. Erica had a long day at school, tomorrow is ah new day plus you wanted to do some shopping right? We'll go to the mall and come back in time to do ah little cook," he said aloud.

"That's great. What are you planning to have as the main dishes? How about a tuna casserole, some chicken..."

"Doh worry, sis. Ah already have it planned and Erica and I will do the cooking. This is resting time for you, right?" Julius deflected. 
Erica was trying not to laugh when she saw her father's face showed his disgust when Carlene mentioned tuna casserole.

"You're right. Well, good night. I can feel the tiredness coming on," her aunt said rising from the table. Again Erica frowned when she didn't make a move to help with the dishes. She waited till the woman was out of earshot to talk.

"Wah de ass is dat?"

Julius laughed aloud, leaving it to a child of his to be the duplicate of their mother. No wonder the woman made sure money was in her American account and that she had everything she will need for the transition to this new life. 

"Ah go tell yuh bout dat. Come."

Father and daughter cleared the dinner table and cleaned the kitchen in each other's company, knowing the weekend will b a trying one.

                                                                         *******

It was the next morning and someone other than Raine and Erica was having a hard time getting out of bed. A few blocks away, Taylor Grandville was still in bed curled in a fetal position hugging the tattered bear her father gave her as a child. She had trouble sleeping even after her new friends made her laugh to her heart's contents through texts and comforting texts from two of the sweetest guys she ever met. It was all great and so loving but the grief was still there. 

Her mother has actually died. 

The suicide note and the relinquishment of her most favored bag were proof of that in New York but the hope of a daughter was strong, thinking she was still alive and bidding time to escape. Harem's guards confirmed her death, her best friend also did just by one look and the reality of their situation showed the result. 
The hope is still there. WHY? Why is it still there?

Hot tears rolled down her cheek and onto her pillow, biting the comforter she muffled her cries as she willed the hope in her to go away.
Through her muffled cries and chest aching sobs, she didn't hear her best friends enter her room. Strong arms pulling her to a firm chest and a dainty hand stroking her head in comfort let her know they were there. That alone made her remove the comforter and let her cries be heard. Harem tucked his head into her neck, his own tears were felt on her neck with his shuddered breath. Stacia was now holding her hands tightly as she too cried for her best friend's pain. 

"It's not fair. It's not... fair," Taylor began to shout. Harem held her tighter replying to her shout to the world. 

"I know, Tay. I know," he said softly while trying to tamper his own cries.

It wasn't fair for her to lose the last parent she had in her life to a man so vile and worthless. She was unremorsefully happy that he was now dead. Though the details were gruesome as Bryan relayed to them over the phone, she felt the sense of justice Bryan did for her, it was a fitting death. 
"Hey. How about some tea and toast. I know you won't be hungry now," Harem offered. She gave him a nod in response, accepting the kiss he placed at the back of her head. He left the bed from her side and rounded the bed.

"How about you, baby?" she heard him say. Opening her eyes slightly, she witnessed for the first time her best friend showing his full emotions to Stacia. Even the redhead she knew to be tough was now blushing as he caressed her cheek then lips.

"The same," Stacia answered. 

"I'll be back." He brought his face close to hers and brushed his lips against her. He chuckled and glanced in Taylor's way. "Enough peeking Tay," he teased. Stacia gasped in embarrassment which he took the chance to fully kiss her on the lips. Taylor laughed aloud when she gave in and moaned in contentment. 
"Gotcha," Harem said gleefully before running from the room. 
Laughter and playful curses filled the room, chasing away the sadness that lingered around the room and the house. 
Coming down from their amusement, Stacia hugged Taylor and softly confessed her liking for Harem also her nervousness.
"Are you still wary of his status? H is still the goofy, warmhearted yet protective best friend I've known even before I understood how rich his entire family was. This isn't me being biased but H is one of the best guys out there. I know you're not sold on that but take your time and look at the other guys in our group, our older brothers, and our uncles. Values and lessons were taught and the uncles and brothers are the best examples to learn from. They aren't blood but they are family."

"I'm supposed to be comforting you, not the other way around," Stacia said pouting.

"You guys have been comforting me since.... yeah..."

"You have such great friends, Tay."

"We have great friends. They're your friends too, Stace," Taylor corrected.

The two stayed quiet and think back on the changes they made since moving to Spencer. "I don't think I can go back to New York." 
Stacia hugged her friend tighter, understanding her reasoning both good and bad. "I don't think I can do that also," she said in agreement.

After a light breakfast in bed thanks to the attentive Harem, they all got ready to leave the house. While waiting for Stacia, Taylor was reading some missed messages from Alec and Trey. She forgot how their side conversations began but the different demeanor of each guy helped her settle into Spencer and made her feel safe. They both flirt shamelessly with her which at first she thought weird but Harem idly commented that the two have been close since kids and have always found themselves liking the same type of girl, they even had two shared girlfriends. She asked what happened to the relationship, he simply answered, "Not everyone sees the world as we do. You may say you want something and get it but do you know how to hold onto it."
She learned about poly-relationships from the source and found it endearing, the respect, the strength, the trust and not to mention the love were all admirable and covetous. 

Taylor: Leaving in a few.

Alec: Are you sure you don't need one of us? We're both free today.

Trey: It won't be a hassle.

She laughed at Trey's formal way of speaking, she found it adorable how he's so stern and always wants to loosen him up. She witnessed a few times and that was when he comforted Raine and smiled at a few of her jokes. Alec balanced him out greatly, being around the two gave her the best of both worlds.

Taylor: I know. How about I have you guys on standby. I have Harem and Stacia with me plus Bryan and Katie will be present.

Alec: I'll keep my phone on me.

Trey: Did you eat?

Taylor: Yes, sir.

Trey: Taylor.

Alec: Don't test him, sprite.

Taylor: :P but its fun.

Alec: It's all fun and games until you push him over the edge. We're both trying hard here, sweetie. Please. No more teasing.

Taylor read over Alec's message and sensed the desperation in his words and Trey's warring silence. It wasn't hidden how much they wanted her. The first time she met them officially when she arrived in Spencer, she saw the attraction in both their eyes and warily stayed away from them. Harem spoke to them and they respectfully backed off but that one weekend at Johnson's pool house, they both confessed their attraction to her but decided to leave her be. They wanted to wait for her. Their confession and honesty in their words threw her for a loop, they just met her and made such a declaration, it was unreal. 

Trey: I'm here if you need me. Until later.

Alec: Bye, sweetie.

Taylor: I'm sorry.

Trey: It's fine.

Alec: He means no feelings were hurt and we're still there for you. 

She smiled at the translation, Trey was Alec's translator whenever he goes in Italian mode and Alec was Trey's translator when he goes into a formal mode. The two were indeed more than friends.

Taylor: Lol. Thanks, guys.

"Loverboys making you smile." Harem's teasing caught her ear. Her best friend, her savior, her brother. He was the one she confided everything to and the person who kept her sane during her captivity and absence from the world. The thought of having someone out there knowingly worried about her gave her hope that she was going to survive.
He never told her outward, his feelings about her being pursued by his friends.

"Aren't you worried or mad about both of them liking me ?" she asked more curious than nervous.

"No."

"No?"

"No. No, I'm not mad. They know what they want and saw it in you. Yes, you need time to heal but they want to help you heal also. They're stepping back and letting you live, that was very mature of them. They are also helping you be happy again after the ordeal you went through. I'm grateful for that because I won't be the only one worrying about you and they can help. We all want you to heal and be happy but those two, simply want you to be happy. Alec and Trey are two of my best friends and I know they won't do anything to piss me off or to hurt you," he explained. Tears she didn't know that were pooling in her eyes, spilled onto her cheeks. She gripped her phone tightly then read the last text that came in while talking to Harem.

Trey: Be strong, beautiful.

Alec: We expect nothing less from you, sprite.

She had so many people in her corner, facing the future won't be as daunting as she thought. "C'mon, Stacia is in the car waiting for us."
Taking the hand he offered, she allowed him to lead her out to the idling car. Stacia gave her a comforting smile and opened the back door for her. She thought it sweet, her friend decided to sit in the back with her. To be honest, she didn't want to be alone, not ever.

                                                                       ********

The funeral home the Johnsons made arrangements with was a few miles away from town, nestled near a meadow of flowers with the acres of burial plots neatly tended to behind the home. Still seated in the car, Taylor took note of the abundance of cars and people milling about in funeral attire. Someone else was mourning the loss of their loved one. Benches were placed on a lawn on the other side of the funeral home, along with a gazebo for added protection from the sun. The building itself was a large two-story house converted for the morbid business. The added touches made the place feel comforting, not suffocating to simply say goodbye to your loved one. There was a building on the far side of the home and visitors area which she knew was the mortuary. Looking towards the building, she saw someone leaving the building, the man's gaze was to the parking lot and by his gait, she knew who it was. 

Bryan.

As he got closer, she grinned and scrambled out of the car, for some unknown reason she needed to hug him. Did he know what he did for her? Her nightmare was no more. Closing the distance between him and the parking lot, she threw herself at him in which he deftly caught her, wrapping his strong arms around her.

"Hello to you, little sis," he teased.

She laughed when his beard tickled her ear when he held her tighter. "Thank you. Thank you for bringing her to me," she said into his chest.

"You're welcome, little one. She deserves to be in the place where her daughter is safe," he returned. Pulling away from him slightly, she took in this CEO who looked nothing like the title. This man wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty for his family. Heavily tatted, muscled like a seasoned biker, and rocking a beard she knew Katie loved, he was her hero. 

"I am safe and getting to be happy indefinitely," she stated firmly.

"That's what I like to hear."

"Hey B," Harem called out.

"Hey kid," Bryan replied. "Is that the girl? The redhead Isaac told me about?" This was said under his breath for Taylor's ears only. 

"Yup. Totally gaga for her."

"Well fuck. We got another redhead to the bunch," he said with a grin.

"She's not as wild as Lu but she will be close when settled. Stacia, come meet our big brother Bryan." The last part was said only loud enough for the coming couple to hear. Stacia's eyes widen in amazement, Taylor knew exactly how she felt. The entire group was blessed with good genes. 

"Nice to meet you. I should be saying welcome to Spencer but I think you've been welcomed in a much better way," Bryan said grinning Harem's way. Poor thing's face turned beet red when Stacia began to stutter and blush, glancing Harem's way often.

"Bryan Winshall, stop teasing the babies." 

"Sorry, kitty," Bryan called over his shoulder, keeping track of his wife's steps as she joined them. Upon reaching the little group she elbowed her husband in his stomach who simply laughed and kissed her cheek. Katie pulled Taylor into a hug before holding her at arm's length. "You look great. The girls will be pleased that the boys are taking good care of you," she commented.

"Yes, they are."

"There's that smile we love. Why don't you go with Bryan and visit your mom? The family will take care of everything if there's anything you wish to include you tell us."

"Thank you so much for being my..." Taylor began to say but fought to say the last word.

"Family," Bryan said softly, putting his arm around her shoulders.

"Family," she repeated this time with a sob lodged in her throat.

Leaving Katie with Harem and Stacia, she walked the rest of the way to the mortuary with Bryan holding onto her. She knew he can feel how tense her body became and see the tears streaming down her face. The morning has been an emotional roller coaster for her stuck between happy and sad, she couldn't take a grasp to either one. 

Bryan held open the glass door which placed her in a tiled lobby and a black and gold reception desk with the funeral home's name emblazoned on the front. The mature woman who sat behind the computer turned to them, blessing them both with welcoming smiles.

"Mrs. Jarrel, this is Taylor Grandville. She's here to see her mother."

"Hello, sweetheart. I know words won't bring back your mother but know that only her physical self is now gone. She will always be your mother and will always be with you," the woman said offering her a tissue. Her words were honest and comforting, it brought more tears to her eyes because it was true.  Her mother was still in her memories and in her heart, she was still bright, beautiful and so loving in her mind, not the shell that man turned her into.

Nodding her thanks, she leaned heavily into Bryan and found herself walking along with him when they turned to the left corridor. They passed pictures of quotes by famous and potted artificial plants before they came to a stop at the first door of three.
"Ready?" Bryan asked gently.

"Yes and no," she truthfully answered.

Squeezing her shoulder in full support, he opened the large door, stepping in before her in order to help her prepare for seeing her mother on the cold metal slab. Taylor clutched onto Bryan's leather jacket and shuffled behind him, her face was buried in his back too afraid to look. "I had her wounds cleaned and fixed. The attendants here had her washed and suitable for viewing. I just hate that you had to see ... " He stopped and cleared his throat. The woman he was looking at wasn't the woman he met years ago with the beautiful pixie face with so much light exuding her. Now her face was haggard with bruises from her abuse, he had an autopsy done on her to catalog her injuries. It sickened him to hear of the multiple fractures and previous suicide attempts. He was happy that she stayed strong enough to get Taylor to safety then gave in to her decision in order to meet her husband. That was his opinion of the situation. 
He felt Taylor stepping from behind him, heaving sobs escaping her small body. All he can do was watch on as the girl threw herself on her mother's covered corpse and cried. She cried out to the woman about how much she loved her and how brave she was to help her escape. She cried out to her mother, asking for forgiveness for not being strong enough to tell her what that man did to her from the start. She cried out to the woman who gave her life and protected her life, telling her how much she will miss her. She cried out reassuring her mother that she was safe from their tormentor indefinitely.

Bryan watched on as a daughter say her last words of love to her mother for the last time in physical form. It is always said parents aren't the ones to bury their children. In this situation, he wished Taylor didn't have to bury her last parent.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

153K 4K 35
"So here I am, bawling my eyes out on my bed. I've got mascara streaming down my face, my eyes are red and puffy, I can't breathe, and it feels like...
Holding Onto Youth Par Guest

Roman pour Adolescents

1.6K 120 42
Sierra Leones finds herself in the center of drama just as four measly teenage boys wiggle their way into her life. Taking her on adventures and taki...
28.5K 369 22
Adriana is a pretty girl. Shes what every girl wants to be. Has the ideal body. She's a cheerleader and doesn't get along with her squad, she very to...
2.1K 303 29
Spencer isn't the average seventeen year old girl. She is intelligent, sassy, stubborn, independent and beautiful ( she doesn't see it, for she is lo...