𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 (𝐩𝐢𝐫...

By cloudpuffss

After coming back from being exiled, Princess Lee Sun-Mi returns to face an ugly secret that turns her world... More

Characters ~ Main only
Prologue ~ Arrival
CH. 1 ~ Unexpected Guests
CH. 2 ~ The Ball
CH. 3 ~ Escape Pt. 1
CH. 4 ~ Escape Pt. 2
CH. 5 ~ Trust
CH. 6 ~ Friends
CH. 7 ~ Test
CH. 8 ~ Problems
CH. 9 ~ Island
CH. 10 ~ People
CH. 11 ~ Aunt Bina
CH. 12 ~ Trail
CH. 13 ~ Choi San
CH. 14 ~ Sweet dreams
CH. 15 ~ Festival
CH. 16 ~ Incident
CH. 17 ~ Decision
CH. 18 ~ Battle masters
Announcement ~ Not an update
CH. 19 ~ An Acquaintance's Message
CH. 20 ~ Roommate
CH. 21 ~ Talk
CH. 22 ~ The Botanist Pt. 1
CH. 23 ~ The Botanist Pt. 2
CH. 24 ~ Gallows
CH. 25 ~ Secret
CH. 26 ~ Bad Omen
CH. 27 ~ Encounter
CH. 28 ~ Pain
CH. 29 ~ Jailbreak
CH. 30 ~ News
CH. 31 ~ Stranded
CH.32 ~ Gifts
CH. 33 ~ Peace Offering
CH. 34 ~ Reunited
CH. 35 ~ My Truth
CH. 36 ~ Training
CH. 37 ~ Home Sweet Home
CH. 38 ~ Jealousy
CH. 39 ~ Obssessed
CH. 40 ~ Dilemma
CH. 41~ Catch up
CH. 42 ~ Denial
CH. 43 ~ Stargazing
CH. 44 ~ Invasion of Thoughts
CH. 45 ~ More Than Friends
CH. 46 ~ Farewell
CH. 47 ~ A Royal Attack
CH. 48 ~ Recover
CH. 49 ~ Life at Sea
CH. 50 ~ Isle of the Lost
CH. 51 ~ Found Out
CH. 52 ~ Chaos
CH. 53 ~ Betrayal
CH. 54 ~ Showdown
CH. 55 ~ Attempt at Saving
CH. 56 ~ Aftermath
CH. 58 ~ Assurance
CH. 59 ~ Nightmares
CH. 60 ~ Company
CH. 61 ~ Feelings
CH. 62 ~ Set in Motion
CH. 63 ~ Attack on Eohithra
CH. 64 ~ Battle of Fists
CH. 65 ~ Battle of Minds
CH. 66 ~ Battle of Words
Epilogue ~ Waking Up
A/N
Sneak Peak!! (Gemini)

CH. 57 ~ The Captains' Meeting

963 56 22
By cloudpuffss

Knock knock!

The light rapport on the wooden surface of the door of the sickbay is what wakes me up from the substantial amount of sleep I've had. I groggily wake up, rubbing the prior tiredness out of my eyes that are a bit puffed up and red from the crying yesterday.

As I sit up, I notice that I'm still on the floor, right where I fell when I stumbled into the sickbay after finding out the grave news of Yunho's passing.

The news still hangs heavy in my chest, bringing along an air of guilt with it.

I try to push those depressing thoughts out of my head, figuring that I must've passed out on the floor last night and getting up to see who is knocking on my door.

I become a bit hesitant when I do reach it though, afraid that it might be someone who's come to yell at me for what happened to Yunho. I pray that it's not Yeosang or Mingi that's waiting for me beyond the wooden door because quite frankly, I don't think I can face the two men to whom I promised to bring Yunho back.

And as if the gods were listening to my prayers, it was neither of them.

"Sun-Mi." Jongho's stern voice greets, void of any emotions that would link to how he's feeling currently. The young battle master was never the expressive type but something is telling me that he's caved in to himself further. I wouldn't blame him.

"Hey, Jongho." I greet back bleakly, my eyes barely open, not feeling the energy to express more. "Did you need something from me?"

The athletic man stands there, staring at me with a serious countenance, studying me closely to the point where I feel naked under his scrutinizing eye. I instinctively hug myself, afraid that he might swing something at me when his arm stretches out and he pulls me toward him for a hug.

Out of all the members of the crew, Jongho and San were the only ones who've never hugged me. And here I stand now, mind-boggled as to why the man's hands are wrapped around me. Before I can vocalize my suspicion, Jongho beats me to the punch.

"I should've gone with you," he mutters, loud enough for me to catch wind of what he said. "I should've followed you the minute you decided to go back to find Seonghwa." His voice breaks at the last syllable and he grips me tighter, shaking a little.

Understanding what he's trying to say, I lift my hands to reciprocate the hug, rubbing his back comfortingly to soothe him. He sniffles quietly, pulling back and sagging his shoulder when he lets go.

"No, you shouldn't have. You did the right thing."

"But—,"

"If you had gone with me, the things that possessed Yunho would have possessed you. And I couldn't have let that happen." I pause, "you stayed with Bina because you knew she would need your help. You did well." He nods minutely, avoiding my gaze by looking away. He seems pensive, just standing there as if waiting for me to resume the conversation when he beats me to it again.

"Hongjoong had, um, told me to tell you to meet him at the gangplank in five minutes."

"Did he tell you what for?" I ask, clearly intrigued that Captain wanted to see me so soon but also annoyed that I'd have to spend the day outside of the comfort of the sickbay.

"He didn't specify. He just told me to tell you." I nod, telling Jongho to not worry and then closing the door when he walks away.

I turn around with furrowed brows, perplexed on what Eye-patch could possibly want with me.

Am I getting kicked off the crew for what happened to Yunho?

Getting ready to meet up with Eye-patch, I subconsciously bite my nails, pacing my room in angst and worry.

The anxiety I'm feeling in the pit of my stomach at what might happen only gets aroused when I see Captain, standing at the edge of the main deck, overlooking what remains of the outdoor markets with his back to me.

To not raise any alarm, I tiptoe over to him, trying to be as still as a mouse when I get to him. He doesn't acknowledge me, only briefly side-eying me before exhaling dejectedly and running a hand through his caramel-brown hair.

If there's anything that these events have brought to the crew it is sleeplessness. Noted specifically by the dark eye bags and interminable yawning from everyone. But besides the obvious tiredness, there isn't any sign of sadness or anything else.

"Um, Captain? Before you decide on anything, I just really want you to know that—,"

"Follow me." He cuts me off curtly, swiveling on his heel as he begins his way down the gangplank. I follow behind him, keeping my distance in case he decides to finally break.

He leads me somewhere, to another ship it seems, in silence. There is no speaking, no chatter, no noise at all— save for the occasional order coming from someone else on the dock to a crewmate or other.

Occasionally, Captain looks over his shoulder to check to see if I'm still following him. When he's sure I'm still there, he turns back around and continues walking.

Soon enough, we reach a large but beautifully crafted boat, one much larger than the Aurora. The colors have faded because of the weather and beating of water against it but it remains towering above us in all its splendid glory.

Intricate designs of caricatures, almost like little comics that are telling a story, are engraved in it, clearly for one to admire. But the most notable fact is the jaw-dropping figure of a beautiful, almost realistic woman, attached to the bow spirit.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Eye-patch finally speaks to me, startling me because of how silent he had been the whole way.

"It's magnificent. How come our boat isn't this pretty?" I comment absentmindedly, realizing I must've said it out loud when the short Captain's eyes glare at me.

"This is called the Zimzalabim. The boat of the fiercest female pirate known to man." He introduces, getting over his prior saltiness.

"The Pirate Queen?" I gasp, noticing the small smirk itching the edge of his lips.

Now, The Pirate Queen was more of a ghost story than it was a rumor like The Pirate King. While the latter struck fear in the hearts of whoever heard his name, the former subtly attacked the peoples.

Like the moon and sun, these two were the greatest legends children would grow up hearing. One was the face of all pirates and the other was pulling the strings behind the scene. She was the manifestation of what we couldn't see about pirates which is what made her even more elusive than Hongjoong.

"Well, we have many introductions to make so I suggest we get moving," Eye-patch speaks up, ripping me out of the daydreaming state I was in. "Oh, and you might wanna close your mouth before you start drooling. It wouldn't be a good first impression." He adds in a snarky manner, closing my mouth.

We both hurry up the large gangplank for this boat, a bit tired at how much we had to walk compared to the Aurora which is a smaller boat.

Without time to lose, Captain ushers me to the place where I assume is the Captain's Cabin, opening the door just lightly to peek his head inside before actually allowing me in.

The moment I step into the room, I am left speechless by the beautiful flowery decoration of the room, making it look like a literal garden. Even the floor under me is carpeted with grass.

Vibes cling into the walls, wrapping around delicately over the bookshelves and tables with gorgeous flowers of all kinds sprouting from them.

The room smells like honey and freshly watered plants, something I really wish the Aurora had.

"Captain Kim Hongjoong." A woman's voice that sounds hauntingly familiar, greets the man I'm with from the farthest seat at the head of the large round table in the room. "Glad you could join us, my deepest condolences for your loss. We all know the effects it's had on us and most importantly on you." Around the table sit 5 people, 4 of them, people I've already met, and I soon figure that the 6th person— a woman— is also someone I've already met.

"Irene?!" I gasp, taking in the features of one of my old servants from my time back at Eohithra. She too seems shocked at seeing me here, having no words to say. The last I heard of her, Chungha told me that she had run away and left nothing behind except for a small note that said nothing specifically interesting.

"S-Sun-Mi? Is that really you?" She asks kindly, lifting herself delicately and placing both hands on her desk as she leans forward, scanning my figure. When she realizes it is me, she breaks into a huge smile along with an expression of relief. "You're Hi— I mean, Sun-Mi. What are you doing here?" She walks over to me, wrapping me up in a tight hug I had missed from being apart from her so long. She, along with Chungha, was my best friend.l even though she was a bit older than me.

"I escaped Eohithra on Hongjoong's ship. Since then I've been a member. W-what about you?" I turn the conversation on her, pulling back and holding onto her shoulders as I notice the elegant pirate outfit she's sporting. Corset and all. "When were you going to tell me about... being 'The Pirate Queen'?"

"Oh my," she chuckles. "Pirate Queen? Please, you're feeding my ego. I was actually one of the multiple pirates sent undercover to check on the Queen. But after you left, I figured I needed to get out or else my cover would have blown."

Before we can get too caught up talking and catching up, Commander Namjoon clears his throat, waiting for her to continue with what they were doing.

"Of course! My bad," she excuses herself, taking her rightful seat at the head of the table whilst offering me the extra seat between Hongjoong and Chan.

"Oi, Sun-Mi," Captain Chan calls my attention briefly. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine." I lie to him and I think he notices but he doesn't pressure me to say more, focusing on the current discussion being held.

"First things first, we need to state our names for the meeting. I'll go first," Irene leads, a sight I had never seen. This confident and elegant lady in front of me is so unlike the meek servant I knew yet she's still the same. "I am Irene, Captain of the crew Red-velvet, owner of the Zimzalabim, and holder of Mental Magic." And soon, all introductions trickle in.

"I am Namjoon, Captain of the crew Bangtan Soldiers, Owner of the Mikrokosmos, and holder of Spatial Magic."

"I am Soyeon, Captain of the crew (G)-Idle, Owner of the Lion, and holder of Physical Magic"

"I am Chan, Captain of the pirate crew Straykids, Owner of the Levanter, and holder of Emotional Magic."

"I am Uhreia, a simple botanist of Illoriant, and holder of Natural Magic."

"I am Hongjoong, Captain of the crew ATEEZ, Owner of the Aurora, and... I was the holder of Elemental Magic," a moment of silence passes between us all when he says this, and it continues in silence when I realize that they're waiting for me to introduce myself.

"Oh, me too? Okay, well, I'm Sun-Mi, a member of the crew ATEEZ, a runaway princess, and... an enchantress." There's a pleasing feeling among all of the people hearing me declare what I am. I even feel a bit giddy from the title of it weren't for the reminder of what pain the title has brought me.

"Perfect, now I want to start on something Hongjoong mentioned, what happened to your magic?"

"My crew and I got into some problems at Illoriant after heading there for, er, personal reasons. While there, Sehun managed to somehow take away my magic. Every time I try to use it, it hurts like hell."

"He didn't take it away completely if you were able to get into the Isle, I'm guessing he must've altered the effects on your body instead?" Soyeon pitches in, trying to understand the situation better.

"Basically," Eye-patch concedes.

"Well if Sehun managed to accomplish something like that, there's got to be a way for you to get it back to normal. Right?" Namjoon asks, not specifically at anyone but Captain and I turn to each other, remembering the argument we had before this whole attack.

"What?" Soyeon urges us to answer and Captain takes a deep breath, doing so.

"Sun-Mi and I had a little disagreement on this before. While we were searching for cures to my problem, my navigator came across an out-dated text by my old mentor, Eden. It spoke over Enchantress Enlightenment, and how it can be so powerful it can cure anything."

"That's good, what did you two argue about?" Irene inquires, and that's when I start to feel guilty.

"Sun-Mi didn't want to do it because she was scared she would have to lose the crew to gain it. She didn't want to take the risk. And I understand her now." He pauses taking a shaky breath. "If only it didn't take the death of a member for me to understand her."

The air grows solemn with his saddening words hanging in the air but there's no time for that. We must continue discussing.

"Do you still feel that way?" Irene turns to me, her eyes a bit more penetrating than I expected.

"I'm still scared, but I think I can take it into consideration." She stares at me momentarily, pressing her lips together before moving on.

"Alright, well, that's a case between you and your Captain. I cannot intervene. What I can say though, is that we can't take any affirmative action against the Queen until Hongjoong gets his powers back. We rely on him the most." She falls silent and Uhreia takes up the convo.

"We can't rely on him forever though. We also have to discuss what we found out from Sehun. Would you like to tell us what you found, Chan?" The Botanist changes the course, focusing on a new topic that's really interesting to me.

"Actually, he told me something that actually backs up Soyeon's guess." The young Captain sifts through some papers in front of him, reading the one he needs before speaking again. "He said, and I quote, 'I have done something no one else can, I've found a way to block magic paths through the consciousness of magic-bearers... yes, some have died through my experimentation, but it was worth the golden find.' A crazy bastard that one."

"Hold on, you're telling me that you guys are currently holding Sehun for interrogation. How come he hasn't been killed?" I ball up my hands, already feeling my anger build-up that they've let that disgusting thing live more than it should.

"We did have Sehun in custody, that is until he killed himself by hanging. He died before we could pry more info out of him on the Queen." Namjoon fills me in, sounding a bit content with the man's death.

"Did Sehun mention if it could be reversed?" I ask Chan, hopeful that there is a chance for Captain.

"Ummm, he didn't give me an exact answer. Sehun just kinda... smiled at me weirdly when I asked. And I was too creeped out to continue prying." Chan admits, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. I look at Eye-patch with slumped shoulders and he gives me a tight-lipped smile.

"Was there anything else of importance that crap bag mentioned?" Hongjoong speaks up, looking expectantly at Chan who is once again sifting through his papers.

"Yes, actually, He mentioned some friends of his named Asura and Yama. Along with how they were created and why."

"Go on," Uhreia prods and Chan obeys.

"They were incarnations of evil, apparently the Queen made them out of the king to kill—." Chan stops going pale and looking at me.

"To kill me," I speak for him, remembering what Asura and Yama had told me. "Asura and Yama were monsters that would torture me in my sleep when I was younger. They went away as I got older and— newer trauma took their place. They were the beings that possessed Yunho. Feeding off of his inner struggles with his guilt and pain over Eunji and Gunho." I explain, feeling my eyes tear up at the memories of the experiences the brunette had to go through. "I just didn't know they were made of... my dad," I seethe, grabbing the handles of my seat tighter to the point where my knuckles have to be an ash white.

Eye-patch sets a hand on mine to calm me down but it does little to soothe my tumultuous thoughts.

"How could she have possibly done that to your father?" Namjoon asks incredulously and I try to but back my tongue, failing miserably.

"Does it matter? That— That witch murdered my father! She has to go." I grit through my teeth, shaking from the sudden burst of anger I'm feeling.

My heart feels like it'll burst out of my chest at any second now because of how hard it's banging my ribs but my wrath is completely justified.

All my life, I've spent it passively accepting all the tragedies the repulsive priss that people consider to be a Queen, throws at me.

And like the good girl I was, I let it all happen. I had no defense, nowhere else to run because just like me, everyone in the castle was under manipulation. Like marionettes doing her little dance, but now, I've had it.

How much more will I let a scumbag like her take away from me? How much longer will I have to watch as she destroys the people I love most?

She is the reason for my self-loathing and hate.

She is the reason for Taehyung's death.

She is the reason for Yunho's suffering.

She is the reason for the murder of my father.

And I do not plan to forgive her anytime soon.

"Sun-Mi, that's very bold of you to say, but how would we even go about this? Our strongest fighter is out of commission, our supplies have been drastically cut from the recent attack, our refuge for magic-bearers has been obliterated. And we just found out that she also wields magic? We can't do this. Not anytime soon at least." Namjoon tries to reason with me but it only motivates me further to push through.

"C'mon are you serious? How many more people do you have to watch die in order for you to realize we need to take action against Queen Lee?! I for one, have lost enough to that demon and I will not lose anymore."

"But we need a strategy," Uhreia takes her fiancé's side. "We can't just barge in and expect the best outcome. Trust me, I want that whore dethroned just as much as you, but it's impossible in our condition."

"No, it's not," I counter, already putting the puzzle pieces together in my head. "Look, Irene mentioned how you guys had spies placed everywhere, people like her who are keeping an eye on things inside. We can send them detailed instructions on what to do to prepare for our arrival when we strike!"

"And all the other magic bearers, once they see what we're fighting for, I know they'll join us! I remember when I escaped Eohithra that night, the townsfolk all attacked the Royal Navy soldiers. They're helpful."

"Alright, but what about us? We don't have the ammo to do it. And I'm sure the Queen will be expecting backlash after us getting her right-hand man." Soyeon is the one to point this out this time.

"The attack doesn't need to be right now, we can have a couple of months to restock, and then go through with the plan. It'll give us enough time to plan and time to let the Queen think we're not coming for her." Surprisingly enough, Captain is the one who sticks out for me this time, going along with my idea. "Yeah, you guys may not have me for ammo, but you all have connections just like me."

"And we have a trump card..." Irene chimes in, looking over at me with a glint of excitement in her irises. "The Enchantress is on our side." Smirking, she looks at Hongjoong, raising an eyebrow to motion to me.

"What do you say, Sun-Mi? Do you think you're ready for the role?"

They all fall silent as they turn to look at me, faces full of expectations and wonder waiting to breakthrough.

It felt like it was ages ago that I argued with Captain over whether I should try to reach enlightenment or not, and in all honesty, the concept still scares me.

But I feel different somehow. Now I know that I have to take up this role, no matter how much I may fear it.

This role may be the only way to save and protect the people I love most. To protect my family, my friends, my crew— to protect Seonghwa.

If I want to be strong enough to have them finally depend on me, I have to learn to accept my fate.

Hongjoong was right, fate does catch up to you and if you let it happen, it can be the most insanely powerful thing you'll experience.

A sudden burst of passionate flames ignites within me. Fiery-red and burning, they lick the darkest parts of my soul, empowering me with a never before felt feeling.

Even though it scares me to death to admit it, this is what I was born for. I was born for more. I was born to lead. And to serve. And I will dethrone Queen Lee, even if I die trying.

I lift my wrist, scanning the seals on it and then looking back up at all of them with a determined and fiery expression.

"I am the Enchantress. And I will free my people." I state confidently, nodding at Irene and Uhreia who give me proud smiles. "Will you follow me?" I ask them all and they answer in a heartbeat.

"Anything for our Enchantress," they all repeat after one another, making me feel animated and necessary.

"Now what's the plan?" Chan jumps first to ask and I smirk at all of them, mapping everything out.

"Alright, so this is what we're gonna do~"

.

.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.1K 868 43
"Of course. And, why not? Why wouldn't the ship be attacked while I'm tied to the fucking mast." I scoffed, rolling my eyes. When it rains, it pours...
108K 3K 48
"I was going to be nice, but I only have so much patience. If you insist on being a bad girl, I'm going to treat you like one." You and your best fri...
26.3K 1.4K 73
When I was on my way to reach ateez's concert getting Stucked in a fanfic was the least thing that I expected. But it would have been better if I wou...
14.3K 712 12
They say no one ever writes about the return journey, but leaving their Wonderland isn't the end of the ATEEZ's troubles. When a shadowy threat follo...