The Dragon Cub| Game Of Thron...

By Ikonic_Fantast

Jaime realises Jon's true idenity when visiting Winterfell, remembering a promised made to Rhaegar, Jaime and... More

CHAPTER - 1
THE WHITE LION AND THE SNOW PRINCE
A FUTURE REVEALED
WELCOME TO THE ROCK
AN IMP, A LION AND A BASTARD
THE WORLD TURNS AND THE GAMES CONTINUE
JOURNEYS AND PREPARATIONS
ARRIVALS, MEETINGS AND NIGHT TIME ENCOUNTER
A ROSE, A DRAGON AND ARROWS OF FORTUNE
THE MELEE
THE JOUST
THE DUELS
REACTIONS
FAREWELLS AND GOODBYES
POISON IS A WOMEN'S WEAPON
A LION'S BITE IS WORSE THAN HIS ROAR
WOLVES, LIONS AND WALRUSES OH MY
FUNTIME IN THE OLD TOWN TONIGHT
A YEAR IS A LONG TIME IN WESTEROS
GOLD ALWAYS BELIEVING IN GOLD
FRIENDS AND FAMILY
THE PATH FORWARD
LET THE GREAT GAME BEGIN
A DAY IN KINGS LANDING
A KNIGHT IN KINGS LANDING
A DRAGON IN WOLFS CLOTHING
FAMILY
HONOUR
DUTY
OCEANS OF TIME
MERMEN AND MERMAIDS
TRUTH, SECRETS AND LIES
REALIZATION
ONCE MORE AROUND THE WORLD
THE MOURNING SWORD AND THE FALLEN STAR
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL
BROTHERS IN ARMS
A LIFETIME AGO
BEEN AROUND THE WORLD
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS
WINTERFELL
HOME TRUTHS
BROTHERS AND SISTERS, MOTHERS AND SONS
WOLVES HOWL, CATS MEOW
THE NORTH REMEMBERS
THE WEDDING
THE BOARD IS SET
TIME TO SAY GOODBYE
WEASELS AND BUMPS IN THE NIGHTS
AS THE SUN RISES IN THE WEST
A BROTHERS JUSTICE
KINGS AND QUEENS
ITS A FINE DAY FOR A WHITE WEDDING
MAD, BAD, CRAZY AND LOYAL
THE VIPER AND THE DRAGON
THE VIPER AND THE MOUNTAIN
FAMILY AND FRIENDS OR FRIENDS ARE FAMILY
A DRAGON'S FIRE
ITS BEAUTIFUL BENEATH THE SEA
A DRAGON'S RAGE
MAESTER'S FALL AND DRAGONS RISE
OH DOWN TO THE RIVER WE DID RIDE
THE WORLD AND EVERYONE IN IT
DIRTY OLDTOWN, ITS A DIRTY OLDTOWN
SLEEPING WITH THE FISHES
WHISPERS, SECRETS AND TRUTHS
GO EAST AND PROSPER
THE DRAGON MUST HAVE THREE HEADS
LIONS ROAD, DRAGONS BURN, WOLVES STALKS
MAESTER"S AND SERVANTS
SECRET GARDEN SHE HIDES
GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN
THE TRUTH HURTS
DESTINATION MORE IMPORTANT THAN JOURNEY
THE CAT'S OUT OF THE BAG
SET ASIDE
THE SONG OF ICE AND FIRE
THE HEART IS A BLOOM
THE RIGHT AND WRONG SIDE OF THE SHEETS
WOLF'S BITE
THE WOLF'S CHAMPION
THE WHIMS OF GODS AND MONSTERS
THE QUEEN OF LOVE AND BEAUTY
WE LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY
GOOD QUEEN ALYSANNE
EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD
MY DRAGON LOVES ME, SHE LOVES ME NOT
COME FLY WITH ME
A WEEK, FOURTEEN MEN AND A LOT OF RAVENS
THE MUMMERS DRAGON
JENNY'S SONG
MAD WORLD, MAD WORLD
A KING IS BORN
A DRAGON IS NOT A SLAVE
AN APPLE FROM A DIFFERENT BRANCH
A DRAGON FALLS
MEN PLAN AND A WANNBE GOD LAUGHS
THE BEST LAID PLANS OF MICE AND MEN
WORRIES AND DOUBTS
THE LAST JOURNEY
THE BLOOD OF THE DRAGON
I AM OF THE NIGHT
TO JOUST OR NOT TO JOUST, IS THE QUESTION
MY QUEEN ALWAYS
CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON
THREE MOONS PART ONE
THREE MOONS PART TWO
THE RISE OF THE DRAGON
THE DRAGON FLIES
THE DRAGON IS REVEALED
THE DRAGON'S HOME
THE WORLD IS FULL OF SECRETS AND TRUTHS
THE DRAGON PLANS
THE DRAGON AWAITS
THE KRAKEN AND THE BLACK DRAGON
BENEATH THE GOLD, THE BITTER STEEL
THE FALCON AND THE WOLF
A DRAGON RAGES

LOST IN TIME, LIKE TEARS IN RAIN

1.9K 65 12
By Ikonic_Fantast

Harrenhal 281 AC.

Lyanna.

She had been angry and sullen on the whole trip here, even being away from her father hadn't helped her mood. Though it was her brother she was angriest about over that, Ned prattling on and on about how Robert would be so happy to see her. What cared she for Robert's happiness and why didn't her brother care for her own. That Brandon was also as sullen and annoyed as she was didn't help the travel either.

Benjen at least was in a good mood, her brother enjoying seeing the lands around them for the first real-time. He'd traveled a little before but not this far south and so seeing the Riverlands had been an experience for him. For her and Brandon not so much and all Ned could speak of was hopefully rejoining with Robert and Jon Arryn when they reached the Crossroads inn. Something she was more than happy didn't come to pass as they had arrived before the Lords of the Vale.

Seeing Harrenhal for the first time though did impress her, even the bent towers and blackened stone only adding to the place in her mind. That there were so many tents and people already here was a surprise and as she looked to see the flags flying over the main keep she saw Brandon look away when he saw the trout. The Black Bats of House Whent and the Trout of House Tully were both flying at the same height and above them, the Three-Headed Dragon flew majestically.

"Does that mean the dragons are here?" Benjen asked excitedly never having seen a member of the royal family, something she too was excited about.

"Aye it does, so best be on your best behavior, I won't have you doing something that brings the family's name into question." Brandon said before laughing loudly "That's my job afterall.".

Lyanna couldn't resist the smirk and when they rode to where their tents were to be set up she was glad that she was considered a lady. Not that she thought of herself that way or that she was averse to helping put the tents up, more that she wished to explore and see more of Harrenhal, maybe even a glimpse of the Targaryens. She like Benjen had never seen any of them and she wondered if the books were right and their hair was as silver as she imagined it to be.

She bought a candied apple from a stall and had just finished it when she heard the noise, moving to see what it was she saw the three boys beating up the smaller one. Looking around she soon found the wooden sword that someone had discarded and picked it up and moved forward.

"That's my Father's man you're kicking, leave him be, go or I'll break your damn legs." she said as she swung and hit the first of the boys, the second getting a smack across the side.

"I'll fucking…." the third one said but the two smacks she hit him soon had him moving away.

"Go or I swear, the next hit will be much harder." she said glaring at them with the wooden sword raised.

"Come on, leave the frog eater with the ugly girl, we'll find better sport elsewhere.".

She watched them walk away as she helped the man up, finding him smaller than she when he stood. It was only then she truly noticed the sigil on his tunic, the Lizard Lion was almost completely covered in mud.

"You're a Crannogman?" she asked and the small man nodded looking away.

"Howland Reed." he said softly.

"House Reed is sworn to my father my lord, I'm Lyanna Stark." she said with a smile as Howland looked at her.

"Forgive me, my lady, I didn't know." he said almost shrinking away.

"Come, Lord Reed, let's get you cleaned up." she said and though he looked at her as if he was going to refuse, in the end, he walked with her back to her tent.

She introduced him to Brandon and Benjen, Ned having stepped out to speak to Robert who'd just arrived, Lyanna glad she'd not been there when he had. When they spoke of the feast that night Howland said he would leave and it took all she had to convince him to stay, even more, to make sure he agreed to come with them. Ned thankfully came back alone though his attempts to make her care about Robert fell on deaf ears.

"Robert is looking forward to seeing you Lya, you were the first thing he asked about when I met him." Ned said with a large smile.

"Was I, lucky me. Ned this is Lord Howland Reed, he's to be our guest for tonight's feast." she said happy to change the subject.

"Lord Reed an honor." Ned said as proper and polite as ever.

"Lord Eddard." Howland said almost quietly back.

"Lya, Robert…" Ned began but she interrupted him before he could say much more about his friend.

"Ned, Howland was telling me of how he has no finery for the feast tonight, Benjen only brought one outfit and Brandon's would be too large, can you help him out?".

"I have more than one, but will it fit?" Ned asked.

"Find something, I'll fix it." she said determinedly and Ned moved to the chest.

"Lady Lyanna there's no need, I shouldn't go to the feast.".

"Why not, your as highborn as any of them and you're my guest, you wouldn't refuse a lady would you." she said her voice taking on a mock coyness but her grin and eyes showing she was pretending.

"Never my lady." Howland said with a smile.

Stupid, stupid, her brother was stupid and she hated him, she thought as she stood by the tree, the tears still falling from her eyes. The feast had been fun and she had enjoyed herself, even with Robert's at first clumsy attempts to speak to her and then his later drunken groping of women in her eye line. She didn't care what he did and he didn't shame her, she had no intent to marry him anyway and not even her father could force her to do so.

Instead, her eyes had been drawn first to the three boys from earlier, watching to see who they served. House Haigh, House Blount and House Frey, a pitchfork, porcupine, and two towers showing who they were. Soon though her attention was drawn to the high table and to the king and prince when they came and sat down. Two more different versions of dragons one could never hope to see, one broken and the other glorious.

By the time he took out his harp she already thought him the most handsome man she had ever seen, feeling her chest rise and fall rapidly when she looked at him. When he actually began to play though it was like nothing she had ever heard before, the melody deep and it stirred something in her heart that only riding a horse had ever done before. Just listening to the song made her feel free, all her worries, concerns, doubts, all of them drifting away and she hadn't even noticed she was crying.

"Lya are you crying?" Benjen said with a chuckle "You are, by the gods your actually crying over a song." Benjen said.

The wine had been instinct and she was mortified when the prince looked her way, not even seeing the smile on his face or the small nod he gave her. Instead, she had practically run from the tent and found herself standing alone by the tree, her anger and embarrassment forcing more tears from her eyes.

"My lady." a soft voice said and she looked to see a handkerchief being handed to her.

"Thank you, S...My prince." she said when she turned to see him standing there, the moon casting its light down making his hair almost glow in the night.

"Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, Lady?" he asked as he took her hand in his.

"Lyanna Stark, my prince." she said softly as he kissed her hand, his dark eyes locked on her grey ones.

Harrenhal 281 AC.

Rhaegar Targaryen.

Had he not already known why his father needed to be replaced then his thoughts on his wife would have been enough, yet he also knew he'd never allow them to be parted. Despite it being what Elia wished for, what she needed not just for her heart but for her health too. It was yet another reason he was so desperate for this tourney to be the success he intended and why he glared at Varys each time he saw him.

The Eunuch had convinced his father to attend and Rhaegar found his plans in disarray because of it. Everywhere he went he was watched and it was only when he was doing his father's bidding that stopped the spies from following. Walking out to the feast were it not for Rhaenys in his wife's arms and the fear he held for them he doubted he would have even attended. Though by the end of the night he was glad he had and looking at the girl as she walked away he knew she had taken his heart with her.

It wasn't what he had come to find at this tourney, not what he had sought but over the next few days, he found himself so enraptured that even Elia knew. His wife warning him to be careful and telling him if she could see it then others could too, his cousin watching him like a hawk. Not that he cared for Robert's feelings in this, Lyanna having made it clear, without question from him, how she truly felt about her betrothed. That Robert himself was doing his best to shame her most every night not helping his case but perhaps earning Robert even more scorn from his betrothed.

"Arthur I need your help my friend, the Lady Lyanna, I'd like to meet her when I can." he said to his lealest knight and oldest friend.

"My prince?".

"Please Arthur." he said and his friend nodded and arranged for their meetings.

She was smart, funny, wild, and free of spirit and after two meetings he knew he was in love with her. Each time she looked at him he found his heart racing and he could tell she felt something for him too. By the third time they spoke, he knew that Elia needed to know and so they spoke alone in their tent while Rhaenys slept, his wife kissing his cheek and giving him her blessing.

"Once we've replaced your father, once you take the throne, we announce the dissolution and our children's place in the line." Elia said.

"Children, you mean you're?".

"I'm with child, if it's a boy you have your heir Rhaegar and I've done my duty." Elia said.

"You've done your duty Elia, I hope he makes you as happy as she does me." he said and she smiled as she kissed his cheek.

It was madness sheer madness and he prepared for the onslaught from his wife, she had agreed with him that what Lyanna had done deserved recognition, deserved praise, and so he had praised her. Though far more publicly and with far more consequences than he had ever imagined. Seeing her sitting there as he took the joust, knowing deep in his heart he was winning it for her, the world had simply disappeared. All he saw was her and as he rode to her and the crowd hushed, as he lay the roses down, it just felt right. That they were winter roses should have been a sign and he wondered if that had played any part in his decision.

"You love-struck fool." Elia said though there was no anger in her voice only worry and that in a way felt worse.

Rhaegar stood alone by the tree that night and worried she'd not show. He was terrified of it if he was being honest with himself. Lyanna came though and he could see her anger and unlike Elia, she unleashed it all at him.

"What were you thinking?" She shouted.

"Lya.".

"No don't you call me that, you don't get to call me that, what were you thinking?" she said angrily as she pushed her finger into his chest.

"I wasn't." he said softly.

"And that's supposed to make it alright, make it better, my brother is furious with you, Robert is threatening to kill you, me, anyone who'd listen." Lyanna said walking from him.

"He threatened you?" he asked.

"No not really, he still has his balls doesn't he." she said and he laughed "This isn't funny Rhaegar.".

"I know, I'm sorry." he said.

"Why, why crown me?" she asked her voice much softer now.

"I wished to honor you for what you did, at least I told myself that at first but it's not the truth." he said.

"Then what is?" she asked her voice more curious now.

"I wished to crown you." he said nervously.

"Why?." she asked.

"Because of you, because of how you make me feel. When I saw you I just, I couldn't..I'm sorry." he said looking at her.

"You're a married man Rhaegar, I'm betrothed to another." Lyanna said shaking her head as she moved away from him.

"Do you wish to marry him?" he asked and she shook her head even more vigorously "If I wasn't married would you, could you, could we?" he asked.

He didn't get his answer until they were ready to leave Harrenhal, the note coming to him asking him to meet her that night in the Godswood. Making his way there he saw her standing by the tree and moved towards her, happy to see the smile she gave him as he did so.

"I got your note." he said as he reached her.

"Obviously, you're here aren't you." she said back with a chuckle.

"I.." he began but she interrupted him.

"Your wife came to see me, is it true?" she asked.

"What?".

"That you, that she, is it true that you're to separate, that she's going back to Dorne?".

"It is, I, we, my father wished us to marry and I tried, Elia tried, but we never loved each other. Her heart belongs to another, as does mine." he said looking to her.

"I can't, we can't, not now, but when, if, she goes back then perhaps." she said her voice shaky.

"Robert?" he asked.

"I told him, told him I'd not marry him that I felt nothing for him, he blamed you but I told him there was nothing between us." she said.

"And is there anything between us?" he asked.

The kiss they shared preyed on is mind all the way back to King's Landing, nothing had ever made him feel that way before. The future that he had a glimpse of was now so clear in his mind and he knew that there was only one path in front of him now, one road and he looked forward to traveling it with her.

Harrenhal 281 AC.

Brandon Stark.

He looked at her as they lay together, the hills covering them from anyone's view, though they were fully clothed and apart from the fact they were together, they were doing nothing wrong. She smiled and he stroked her face, her eyes glistening as he kissed her softly and he found that he was lost in their beauty just as he had been since he first saw her.

It was different though, seeing her at the feast, speaking to her and asking her to dance with Ned, his brother too shy to do so for himself. Brandon finding himself too shy to ask her to dance with himself also, glad to be able to cover up how he was feeling by using Ned's name. Watching them he became jealous and he at first wondered if that was why he made to bed her, though as they had lain together he had known it wasn't.

In the days that had followed he had spent whatever time he could with her, quickly finding her so very different than any of the other ladies, he had known. Comparing her to his betrothed was like comparing a spark to the shiniest of stars and even after that first night, he knew he was lost. Brandon had thought he had loved Barbrey and had tried to feel the same for Catelyn, but looking at her in the morning light he knew his heart was hers and hers alone.

"What?" she asked him smiling when she saw him looking at her.

"I was just thinking how impossible you are." he said with a smirk.

"Impossible?" she asked her brow furrowed.

"Aye, Impossible. Nothing in this world should be as perfect as you, nothing." he said as she laughed.

"I'm far from perfect Brandon Stark." Ashara said as she laughed, her purple eyes full of mischief.

"Hmm, maybe you're just perfect for me then." he said as he kissed her again.

That night at the feast he had to sit with his family, his sister lost in her own daydreams and he found he couldn't fault her for them, even though hers were far more impossible than his own. He danced with Catelyn and saw Ashara look to him, her face full of hurt and betrayal and he felt his heart break at the sight. She left before the dance was over and soon he did too, feigning being unwell and refusing to allow asy of them to return with him back to their tents.

He found her waking the grounds alone and he almost had to chase after her, seeing the tears in her eyes only making him feel even worse than he already had. Thankfully she agreed to speak to him though and he walked with her from the grounds of the keep, past the tents and down to the God's Eye. The Isle of Faces somewhere out beyond their view lost in the mist that covered the lake.

"You know how precious a Weirwood is to a Northman?" he asked as they stood there.

"I know." she said softly.

"Of how a vow in front of one is a vow to our gods, a vow we can never break?" he asked.

"I've heard that." she said still not looking at him.

"Howland told me that on the Isle of Faces there are more Weirwoods than you can count." he said and she turned to look to him "So It's not just one I swear this vow to, it's all of them".

"Brandon?".

"I love you, Ash, you and only you, you're who I wish to marry, who I wish to spend my life with and no one or nothing will stand in our way. I vow this in front of the Old Gods and may they strike me down if I tell a lie." he said.

"Brandon?" she said shaking her head.

"I'll speak to my father and tell him how I feel, tell Hoster. I won't marry her Ash, nothing can make me do so. Will you be my wife?" he asked his voice far more nervous than he had ever been.

"Aye, I'll marry you." she said kissing him.

He said his goodbyes to her the next morning, they had lain together once more and she ended up leaving before he did. When it came time for him to actually leave he found his misery had some company as Lyanna too seemed as upset as he was. Though he was hopeful too and looked forward to speaking to Hoster and his father, to let them know of the choice he had made.

As Ned and Robert spoke he looked to see Benjen and Lyanna whisper feverishly and he wondered what it was they were speaking of. Giving how Robert was looking at his sister he could tell what he and Ned were discussing and could see his sister cared not for it. Her mind like his on other matters no doubt and he began to wonder if they could help each other out, both of them speaking to their father he'd have to listen would he not?.

If neither of them wished to go through with their betrothals then he'd have to make other arrangements, wouldn't he?. When Robert left he sighed when they were joined by the Tully's and was glad that Catelyn didn't ride, the idea of having to speak to her all the way to Riverrun too much for him to contemplate. Instead he listened as Ned groused about Robert, about Rhaegar, and laughed when Lyanna slapped him before riding away.

"She should do her duty." Ned said and Brandon shook his head.

"Not all of us are you brother." he said before he then rode off after his sister.

Harrenhal 281 AC.

Robert.

God, she was good, her mouth the very best he'd ever had and soon he found himself spending, the few coins he gave her she welcomed and he quickly fixed up his britches and left the tent. He made his way to the feast and hoped his lateness wasn't noticed, she'd already made her feelings clear more than once with her looks if not her words. When she deigned to look at him at all that was, though as Ned said she was young and a maid, and no doubt he made her nervous.

She ignored him again and so he began to drink, smiling and winking at the girl who served him and enjoying it when she winked back. At least someone appreciated him Robert thought as he drank some more, the girl's flirting becoming more obvious and he grabbed her whenever he got the chance. He heard the hush when the dragons arrived and he prayed the man wouldn't sing again tonight, though he had to hand it to Rhaegar he did know how to win over the ladies.

He looked to Jon who was watching the high table, his foster father glaring at Aerys and Rhaegar too and Robert found himself thinking more and more about his words. Though for now he put them out his mind and concentrated on the view the serving girl gave him as she placed the mugs on the table. As he stumbled back to his tent that night he couldn't help grabbing her arse, the girl laughing as he did so and he looked forward to the night ahead.

"Robert, the melee." Ned shouted as he shook him awake.

"Ned?" he asked.

"The melee Robert, gods' how much did you drink last night?".

"Fuck." he said as he moved from the bed, his head and his balls hurt and he looked beside him, glad to see the girl had left.

"I'll be there in a moment, Lyanna?" he asked.

"Is up in the stands, hurry Robert or you'll miss it." Ned said and he dressed quickly.

Who he was more angry at he didn't know, Yohn Royce for taking the day which should have been his or Lyanna for not showing him any attention whatsoever. Each time he had taken an opponent down he had looked to her, sure she'd be looking down and cheering him on and each time she was doing anything but. It angered him and he used that anger to beat more men, only to fall before the end.

To make it worse she cared not for that either and so he was sullen for the next few days, his attempts to speak to her met with indifference at best and outright refusal at worst. So he drank more and even got into a drinking game with Ser Richard Lonmouth, the man laughing before he fell to unconsciousness. Though he did later help him try to find the errant knight.

"Who do you think it is Robert?" Ser Richard asked.

"I don't know, but we'll be the one's who'll find the fucker." he said with a laugh as they searched.

As each day of the tourney went on he felt worse and worse, nothing he could do or say seemed to be met with anything but a polite smile and as soon as she could she would make an excuse to leave him alone. He spent more time with Ned than he did his sister and it was frustrating him no end. The night before the joust began he had tried to kiss her and she'd slapped him, though at the time he'd laughed it off. The next morning how she looked at him made him think she wasn't just japing.

"Cheer up Robert, for fucks sake you look as miserable as you say I always do." Ned said as the semi-finals of the joust took place.

"Do I indeed, I wonder why that is?" he said shaking his head.

"I told you, Robert, ever since she found out about Mya it's been different." Ned whispered in his ear.

"I've only the one Ned, it's not like I've fathered a dozen or more." he said shaking his head.

"Aye, I know.".

The final had even him excited at seeing Rhaegar against the Bold. While jousting wasn't something he saw the benefit of for himself, he did like the pageantry of it and the wonder of who would be crowned. With Rhaegar he knew it would be Elia but for Barristan he wasn't sure, would he crown the princess, or was there a fair maiden that the Bold had his eye on.

"Damn him, Damn him to the seven hells, who does he think he is." Robert shouted as Jon Arryn tried to calm him down as Robert paced in his tent later that day.

"I told you, Robert, they care not about what is theirs and what isn't, this is why they must be removed.".

"Aye, you told me and I didn't listen, but I'm listening now. Ours is the fury Jon, ours is the fury and he'll feel mine.".

He left a few days later and she never even spoke to him, the memory of what she had said in the Godswood still twisting like a knife in his heart. She was his, she would be his, and no one would take her from him, no one. As he rode away from Harrenhal he cursed that Ned wasn't with him though he was glad Jon was, his foster father was right, hard to get, she must be playing it, she must.

"I'll not marry you, Robert, even were I not in love with another I'd not marry you." her voice in his head as he closed his eyes and he felt himself grip the horse's reins even tighter.

"Mine, she is mine." he said as he rode towards the Vale.

The Vale of Arryn/Harrenhal 281 AC.

Jon Arryn.

He looked down at his papers as he sat in his solar, his life's work in front of him and he found himself trying to figure out his next move. The betrothals were set, the Starks tied to the Baratheon's and the Tully's, though having Hoster tied to the Lannister's would have been a boon. He had even considered offering up Elbert to Tywin, Cersei and his nephew as Lord and Lady of the Vale would be a good match he felt.

But the man refused all his letters and he knew he would need to speak to him in person. Once the weddings took place they could make their moves, bring the dragon's down and see Robert crowned. His foster son was the only logical choice to sit the throne he felt, even despite his unsuitability. Though with him as Hand he could easily cover for Robert's deficiencies.

He got up from his seat and walked from the room, they would be leaving on the morrow and he wished to pray before he left, to seek counsel from the gods and from Septon Laloms. As he entered the Sept he lit the candles and knelt in front of the father, praying that they'd soon be in a position to see his dreams complete. The Seven Kingdoms united under a king of his choosing and the true gods the only ones worshipped throughout the realm.

"My lord I didn't expect to see you." Laloms said as he walked over to where Jon was kneeling.

"I wished to come for guidance before I left Septon." he said to his oldest friend.

"Your path is the gods' path my lord, you walk in their light, trust in that." Laloms said and Jon nodded.

"Did the boys come and pray?" he asked and Laloms nodded.

"They did, young Ned took the blessing though he liked it not, Robert too.".

"Good, I fear Ned a lost cause Septon, his faith in the heathen gods of the north is much stronger than I had hoped." Jon said.

"Perhaps, or perhaps the gods haven't shown us the right path to take with him yet." Laloms said and Jon looked at him.

"No matter, he will serve our gods in the end." Jon said.

"As do we all my lord." Laloms said before he blessed him and Jon left to make ready.

He allowed Ned and some of the others to ride on once they passed the Bloody Gate, his ward wishing to meet up with his family and Robert wishing likewise. Though Jon wouldn't allow him that, instead saying it wouldn't be proper for him to travel with his betrothed and Robert then riding off in a huff.

"Go, Ned, I'll deal with Robert." he said and watched as Ned reluctantly left his friend behind.

Like with most things with Robert, he ranted, raved, got drunk, and then quickly forgot what it was he was upset about. Jon shaking his head at the sheer failure he'd had in teaching the boy anything of being a man. Were it not for his position he may have sent him back to the Stormlands years earlier, but needs must and Laloms was right they needed a man of faith to lead their cause.

Not that Robert was such a man but at least he could be relied upon to leave such matters up to him and given his aversion to wish to rule there was clearly no better choice for a puppet king.

Arriving at Harrenhal he was annoyed upon finding out that Tywin didn't attend though given that Aerys did he began to see a pattern and when he saw Jaime Lannister named to the Kingsguard it all became clear. Tywin hadn't been ill or resigned because of it as he had been told upon his arrival, nor was he unable to travel to the tourney.

The man was annoyed, the dragon had pulled on the lion's tail and taken his golden heir from him and Jon saw even more opportunities. Opportunities that just kept coming as the tourney developed and he knew then he was doing the work of the true gods. While Robert ranted, raved, and drank elsewhere, Jon stood in his tent with his nephew and Yohn listening to them speak.

"Gods what was he thinking." Elbert said.

"Dragon's don't think Elbert, I thought you knew that by now." Yohn said the disgust clear in his voice.

"To shame his wife so, Yohn." Elbert said and Yohn shook his head.

"Like father, like son." Jon said as they both looked to him "Come on we've all heard the words, how Rhaegar was a better man, how the realm would be better off under him. Would a better man do what he just did?".

"No." Elbert said.

"No, of course not, but I had thought.." Yohn said and Jon reached out and put his hand on the man's shoulder.

"They all have it Yohn, with some it's just better hidden than in others, but they all have it in them." he said and saw Yohn nod reluctantly.

He sat down and drank his wine and found himself laughing to himself after they'd left. This wasn't his plan, nowhere close to it, the prince was far too popular and people thought far too much of him. So he had needed to be sidelined or better yet killed, he had gone over a number of options and while he knew that an assassination may work he had quickly found an even better way, the prince himself giving it to him.

Rhaegar wished a council called, to gain the lords' support and bring them onto his side as he removed his father. All Jon needed was for him to approach people, to have his father find out, and then Aerys would do the work for them. Killing the prince would shatter the realm, alliances would crumble and their alliance would emerge the largest and strongest. People would unite behind his vision and the crown would be in their hands.

Instead of the West, Dorne, the Crownlands, and the Reach against them, it would be fractured, more people wishing to see Aerys brought down than supporting him. Aerys attendance put an end to that and Jon was left scrambling for a different plan only for Rhaegar to hand it to him on a silver platter. Robert was furious, Rickard would be too, Hoster and he could play up their own support and those who would stand against them would seem to be in the wrong. While not yet complete it was almost everything, he just needed a spark, something to push the realm over the edge and he had time to see that come to pass.

He was eating that night when he was called away from the feast, Robert had not attended and Jon while not wishing to deal with him having no real choice. He found him sitting and crying in his tent, the man acting an even bigger child than he usually did. Rolling his eyes he sat beside him on the table and waited until his ward told him what was wrong.

"She hates me." Robert said and Jon hid his sigh.

"No she doesn't." he said.

"She does, she loves someone else, told me she'd not be mine, that she'd not marry me even if she did not wish to be someone else's wife." Robert said through strangled breaths.

"She wishes you to fight for her Robert, to prove your love, that is all.".

"How can I Jon, I've shown her who I am, she's not like the others, she doesn't seem to like what they like.".

"Or she's playing hard to get." Jon said and Robert looked at him "Some women love the chase Robert, just as you yourself do, do you really think she doesn't want you?".

"I..no, I..".

"Of course she wants you, look at yourself Robert, have you ever had a maiden turn you down?".

"No." Robert said determinedly.

"Then why would Lyanna be any different, Wolves need to be tamed Robert. It takes a man to do so, are you a man?".

"I am."

"Good, then act like one." he said and stood up patting Robert on the back.

"Thank you Jon." Robert said wiping his eyes.

A boy, a petulant spoiled boy, and this was who he wished to crown. As he walked back to his tent and lay down on his own bedroll, he reached into his tunic and took out the seven-pointed star. Reading through it he knew that this was his real reason, his true path, even if along the way he had to suffer people like Robert Baratheon and Lyanna Stark to get there.

Riverrun 281/282 AC

Hoster.

Seeing the procession as it reached his keep he looked to see where his daughter was, finding the carriage very quickly. He smiled when his future goodson helped her from the carriage and looked at the rest of the party. There were far fewer Northmen than he expected and he was surprised that Brandon was the only Stark who had come, having at least expected the rest of his family to join him.

Still he was glad to see the lad again and to see Cat smile so as they walked towards him, his brother and son walking with them.

"Lord Tully." Brandon said and Hoster noticed a strange look on the boy's face but felt it was tiredness and so let it be for now.

"Lord Brandon, it's good to see you, though I had expected your family to be with you?".

"Forgive me, my lord, my brother accompanied them back to Winterfell so I could come alone." he said and Hoster nodded though wondered why he wished to come alone.

"Cat, you look radiant my love, did you enjoy the tourney?" he said kissing his daughter's cheek.

"I did father." she said with a smile which he could tell was true.

"Come, let's get you all inside, I'm sure you're tired and wish a warm bath and meal." he said and saw his brother nod.

While Edmure and Cat saw to Brandon and his men's room, he walked with his brother to his solar eager to find out all about the tourney and his future goodson. He had Utherydes bring him the ale and he and Brynden took their seats, his brother taking a much larger swallow then he did.

"So what was it like?" he asked curiously.

"Where to start, the mad king is mad." Brynden said with a chuckle.

"Aerys attended?" he asked surprised.

"He did, gods Hoster you should see him, long hair, long nails, scabs on his arms." Brynden said shaking his head.

"The scab king indeed.".

"Aye, what else, oh Tywin Lannister has resigned as Hand, his son named to the Kingsguard.".

"He resigned in Harrenhal?" he asked.

"No, I think he had already done so, they gave Ser Jaime his cloak there though." Brynden said.

"Anything else brother?" he asked curiously.

"I saved the best or worst for last. Rhaegar won the joust, guess who he crowned?" Brynden said his features schooled.

"His wife." he said and Brynden shook his head "His mother?" he asked though he would have been surprised that Rhaella would attend and again Brynden shook his head.

"Lyanna Stark." Brynden said and this time it was Hoster's turn to shake his head.

"For true?".

"Aye brother, for true.".

When Brynden left he sat back and couldn't believe it, cursing that he'd not gone to see for himself, he wondered how Jon Arryn had reacted. Reaching for a piece of paper he thought about sending a raven and then thought the better of it. They held a large dinner that night, not quite a feast but close enough and he was happy to see Brandon and Cat speak so friendly to each other.

His one doubt on the match had been that his daughter would find the Northman to not to be to her liking, her southern sensibilities repulsed by northern attitudes. Looking at how she looked at Brandon Stark though it was clear his charm and good looks had won her over and Hoster was most pleased by that. While marriage was primarily about raising one's standing, he was not averse to his daughter being happy with her future husband also.

Looking around the room he could see that Lysa too seemed happy for her sister, his youngest smiling happily as she spoke to Petyr and her uncle. If it wasn't for the odd looks he kept getting from Brandon Stark he'd have really enjoyed the night, the news Brynden had given him and his daughter's smiles making him feel most content. But something about the way the wild wolf looked to him disconcerted him and he found out just what it was the very next day.

"You cannot." he shouted as Brandon Stark stood up.

"I can and I will." Brandon shouted back.

"Your father and I have agreed to this betrothal and you will marry my daughter.".

"I will not, I love another and she's who I'll marry, not my father, and certainly not you will tell me otherwise.".

"I'll see you stripped of your inheritance, you'll get nothing if you don't live up to this agreement.".

"I care not, I came here to speak to you as a man, to tell you to your face. I've done so and if you'll excuse me I'll go speak to Catelyn.".

"I forbid you, go, go back to your precious North Brandon Stark, see what your father thinks of a man who breaks his word, but I'll not have you speak to my daughter on this."

"So be it." Brandon said storming from the room.

He was furious, the letter had been sent and it was up to Rickard to fix this, he'd not be made a laughing stock though and not have his daughter treated this way. Brandon Stark would marry his Cat or by the gods, he'd burn the fucking North to the ground.

two moons later.

He smiled as he read the letter from Rickard, he had known that his threats would not fall on deaf ears. Not only were they risking his wrath but he knew how much Rickard wished this union also. As he reread the letter he smiled and reached over to take a sip from his glass of wine.

Lord Hoster,

I have spoken to my son and made it clear that he must live up to his responsibilities, that he must do what an heir must do, and accept the match made for him. Brandon is well aware of what will happen should he not and upon his return from White Harbor I feel it best if we make the wedding date official. To that end Brandon will travel to Riverrun in four moons time to officially announce his intent to marry your daughter, The wedding to take place a further three moons from then, I look forward to seeing you in person as we watch our houses be joined.

Lord Rickard Stark,

Lord of Winterfell,

Warden of the North.

Hoster made his way down to Cat's rooms finding her, Lysa, and Petyr laughing and japing over something or other. He called for her to join him and they walked to the Sept, once inside he asked the Septa and Septon for a moment, Cat smiling at Mordane as she left.

"Do you wish the Septa to accompany you when you go North, Cat?" he asked.

"Could she father, I'd be most pleased.".

"I'll speak to the Septon, I have some news for you about your wedding." he said and saw her place her hands together and sit up straight "Lord Brandon will be arriving in a few moons for the announcement of your wedding date.".

"When will the wedding be father?" she asked excitedly.

"Three moons from when we announce it my love." he said and kissed her cheek.

"Will there be a feast father for the announcement?" Cat asked eagerly.

"Of course there will sweetling, a large one." he said and saw her smile.

"Thank you father, for the match, for all you've done for me." she said softly.

"I only wish you happy Cat, you most of all." he said and she threw her arms around him.

Four moons later.

No one did this to him, no one, he'd see him in the ground, him and his whole damn family. Of all the things he had imagined this was not one of them. How could he think he'd get away with it? Think that he'd just lay down and accept it. That he had almost killed Petyr Baelish was the only bright spot in the whole visit. His hurried departure looking to be in response to that and not to him telling him to leave his lands.

Looking over the letter from Jon Arryn though at least gave him something to think about, a way to make things right. Though he'd need Rickard's help to do so and he'd proved to be incapable of getting one son to do his damn duty, why should he believe the other would be any better?. He felt his head ready to explode such was his anger at the events, the sheer fucking audacity of the boy.

"What do you mean you're married?" Hoster asked.

"I mean I'm married, I cannot marry your daughter, I will not, something I told you already." Brandon said.

"But your father?" he said angrily.

"You really think going around me was going to work, that I'm that fucking dumb that I didn't expect it? I told you I'd not marry her and now I can't.".

"When did you marry? How?".

"A moon ago, in front of my gods.".

"A fucking tree." he said angrily.

"My gods, speak to my father, tell him what I've done, I care not, neither of you has power over me, neither of you tells me what to do.".

"Get fucking out, go, don't come back." he said and Brandon nodded as he walked from the room.

No, it wouldn't stand, if he had to pay all the damn gold he had at his disposal he'd see Brandon Stark in the dirt, he'd have his marriage and Cat would have her husband, even if it wasn't the one either of them had expected. But Brandon Stark was not long for this world, that oath breaker had a date with the stranger.

Outside Harrenhal/Dorne 282/283 AC.

Rhaegar.

They rode hard and fast and he prayed she'd be there, that her letter was true and she'd managed to sneak away. Arthur and Oswell rode beside him and they too weren't slowing down, Arthur looking around to make sure they weren't being followed. When he saw the horse alone by the water's edge he began to worry and then he saw her and his heart began to beat once again.

"You came, you came for me." she said happily as she kissed his face.

"Of course I did, I promised didn't I." he said and this time their lips found each other.

"I worried you would not, that your letters, that your feelings may have changed?" she asked and he laughed as he looked at her confusing her for a moment.

"They have not, I have not, I love you." he said kissing her again.

The rode past Harrenhal and camped by the God's Eye, Rhaegar eager to show her the letter to prove the truth in his words. He watched her as she read it and saw the smile on her face when she saw the signatures.

"Marry me?" he asked and she looked to him the letter still in her hand as she nodded.

"Aye, why not." she said before breaking into laughter "Of course I'll marry you." she said a moment later when she calmed down.

"There is s Sept nearby." he said and saw her frown and for a moment wasn't sure the reason why, looking to her he smiled when he realized what it was.

"The Isle of Faces, we can go there too, marry in front of your gods as well as mine own." he said and she smiled back at him.

It took them three days to have both weddings, the Septon signing the papers only when he saw the letter from the High Septon annulling his marriage. Arthur and Oswell had happily signed, his friend remarking on how happy he was. The boat to the Isle of Faces had appeared as if by magic and he and Lyanna had gone alone to Arthur's dismay.

He had felt the power of the place and saw how much it had meant to Lyanna to marry there and once he had said his vows he had moved to head back. Lyanna though had other ideas and as she took him in his arms he felt more nervous than ever before. Despite Lyanna being the maid it was him who was clumsy and awkward and yet once they began it was far different than he had ever known it could be. Time seemed to stretch on and on, the night seeming to last forever.

"I feel different." Lyanna said as she lay in his arms.

"As do I, my love" he said and they dressed.

Arthur looked at him strangely when they returned and it was only the next day he found out why.

"You were gone but moments." Arthur said when Lyanna was washing the next day.

"It felt like hours Arthur, that place, its, it's different." he said and Arthur looked at him and said nothing.

They rode over hills and through long-abandoned trails, keeping away from towns and villages other than to grab supplies. Something told him they needed to go south and so they rode and at night they'd stop and camp, he and Lyanna would make love, or he'd sing for her and over time he forgot he was a prince. With her, he was simply Rhaegar and she was Lyanna, his wife, his love, his heart.

By the time they got to the tower it was clear she was with child and so he sent Oswell to the nearest town and was happy when he returned with the woman. Wylla her name was and she and Lyanna soon became friends, the older woman reminding her of her mother. Their days became a routine and as she got bigger he found himself more sure that what Rhaenys said was true, their son would come soon and he would be what he had once thought he was.

"The Prince that was Promised, the Song of Ice and Fire." he said softly thinking she was asleep.

"My love?" she asked.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were awake.".

"What did you call him?".

He told her all of it and was shocked when she didn't doubt him once, Elia had thought him mad, strange, and it had taken her time to even consider he was right. Lyanna though just accepted it and he found he loved her even more because of it. It was blissful, idyllic, the happiest time of his life, he'd lived more in the four moons he had with her than he had in the four and twenty years before her.

Gerold's arrival put that to an end and they listened on in shock as he told them what had happened, each part of it worse than the one before. Laying in bed with her that night they tried to think what had gone wrong, they had sent letters, ravens, yet it seemed they'd not arrived or had been ignored. Now even though both of them knew what must be done, neither of them wished to speak of it.

"Jaehaerys." he said smiling as he rubbed her stomach.

"Our son." she said her hand beside his.

"With your eyes.".

"Your hair." she said and he shook his head.

"I prefer yours." he said and she smiled.

"The prince that was promised to us my love, our son." she said and he kissed her.

When she slept he began to write out the letters, the notices of birth, one for Jaehaerys, and one for Visenya. He knew he was having a son, a boy, a prince, and yet there was a reason why he needed to have them both and he knew not what it was. He thought of putting a letter for his son just in case, a note to tell him how he felt and found he could not.

Instead he put the letters inside the chest and placed them beside the egg and the sword, his son's birthright, and he closed his eyes and knelt down to pray. He argued with Oswell while Arthur just accepted and then he lay beside his wife as she slept, his own eyes unable to close as he looked to her. Leaving her was the hardest thing to do and as he rode away the next day he swore he heard a voice calling him, telling him to stay, to not go, though he knew he had no choice.

The Trident 283 AC.

Robert Baratheon.

His scouts had been right, the dragonspawn was here and he looked forward to facing him, to seeing him fall. They had the momentum, the advantage and once he dealt with him he'd deal with the others too. Jon was right they had to die and so they needed to get there before they could escape. Rhaegar though, Rhaegar was first and he'd see him dead on the morrow.

He bent the girl over the table and took her from behind, her dark hair and his drunken state making him believe it was her right up until he spent. As soon as she turned around thought he illusion was shattered and he was glad he'd taken her this way and not the other. Once she left he sat down on the bed and reached for the chest, taking it out and looking at it once again.

Robert,

I write this to you hoping you'll understand, that you'll move on and find happiness with someone who loves you for who you are and someone you can love too. My heart belongs to someone else Robert and by now I think you know who that is, it wasn't planned, wasn't meant to slight you in any way, it just happened. We have married Robert, Rhaegar and I, married and happy and I wish the same for you. Forget about me and live your life, be who you are and not who others expect you to be. That is all I've ever wished for myself, to be Lyanna and not Lyanna Stark and now more than anything I'm happy and content to be someone I never thought I'd be.

Goodbye Robert.

Lyanna Targaryen.

"Robert?" he heard Ned call out and quickly placed the letter back in its chest.

"Ned, in here." he shouted back once he'd put it back under the bed.

"Robert, the battle tomorrow, we need to take him alive." Ned said and he nodded.

"If we can Ned, then Aye we will do.".

"For Lyanna." Ned said and Robert looked at him.

"For Lyanna." he said and saw his friend smile.

His armor glistened in the sunlight, the rubies sparkling as he moved and yet Robert could only see the smiling face of Lyanna as he moved towards him. Could only see her laughing at him, them both laughing at him, around him in the room they all laughed, Aerys, Rhaella, Elia, all of them.

"Dragonspawn." he shouted as he moved forward and swung his hammer.

"Robert.

"Prepare to die Dragonspawn." he shouted loudly.

King's Landing 297 AC.

Jaehaerys Targaryen.

He closed his eyes and the Glass Candles went out, picking them up he carried them to the chest and placed them inside. Walking from the room he nodded to Arthur and Walder to follow and with Ghost beside him headed to the stables. They quickly had Winter, Star and Rivers saddled and all three of them mounted and rode from the Manse. They moved slowly through the streets and he resisted the urge to look at the Red Keep each time it came into view.

Reaching the gates it cost him two silver stags to be allowed to leave and once outside he let Winter free, Ghost racing beside him as the left the others behind. He saw the Kingswood in the distance and soon they were riding through it. Stopping when they were a decent distance inside, dismounting he led Winter to the small stream to allow her to drink and then waited for Walder and Arthur to catch them up as Ghost went about his work.

"Jon?" Arthur said as he arrived and quickly jumped off Star and Jae just shook his head and began to pace.

Kneeling down he closed his eyes and went looking for the door, Ghost ready for him as he always. As one they moved even more quickly, Jae guiding him as well as Ghost's instincts taking them where he needed to go. Soon he saw it and they moved as quickly as they could. The white wolf running so fast that it never stood a chance, it's antlers soon becoming ineffective as the wolf tore into its neck.

He reveled in the kill, enjoying the taste as much as Ghost did and when the wolf came back covered in blood Jae could taste it in his mouth. Standing up he looked to Walder and pointed back where Ghost had come from.

"There's a White Stag just back that way, Ghost will take you to him, tie him to the horses and we'll drag him to the gates." he said and Walder nodded as he followed after Ghost.

"Jon?" Arthur asked worriedly.

"For over ten years he's been trying to get that Stag, trying to make it a trophy, well he's not getting it. I'm taking it from him and that won't be the last thing I take from him before I'm done." Jae said as he climbed up on Winter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.1K 4.2K 38
Aemond had a dragon. Uri held the dragon flame. Together they could be unstoppable. 🧚♀️ Uri was destined for more than teaching fairies at Alfea w...
52.8K 2.5K 60
Amelia Baratheon the eldest daughter of Cersei and Robert, Twin of Joffrey gets set up with Robb Stark on their trip to Winterfell. But things take a...
52.7K 3.6K 35
Vaera was the littlest lion and needed to be protected at all costs. Even from herself. ⚔️ "Without you I dont know what to do with myself." 🦁 Al...
452K 15.7K 66
"I made a promise to protect you. Honor or not, that is one I intend to keep." - A story of a Lion and a Wolf, two beings brought together by the ver...