THE RISE OF THE DRAGON

Oldtown 297 AC.

Margaery.

She had enjoyed the North and that Jon had made it there even more so, standing with him in the crypts and speaking to his mother, seeing the winter roses, one of which she had pressed into a handkerchief. Each day she'd been there had been one she'd remember for the rest of her life and while she was sad to see Jon go and also to leave herself, she looked forward to going home.

That they had headed to Bear Island and would be taking the ship from there rather than White Harbor had made their journey a little different. Sansa having to say goodbye to her brother earlier than she'd expected and Margaery telling both Wylla and Wynafred how much she'd miss them. The travel too was different, the Mormonts moved faster and were a little rougher around the edges than the Manderleys.

For Margaery though it also gave her the opportunity to meet her aunt again and they stayed on Bear Island for a few days. Gerold was running around now and Margaery found herself almost shocked he'd grown so much since she'd seen him last. Her aunt was glad to see her too and when the ship arrived to take them to Oldtown, Margaery almost didn't wish to travel.

"We could ask them to stop you know, in Lannisport, surprise Jon." Sansa said as they stood on the deck one night.

"I think we've surprised each other enough. I'd like to though, but it's perhaps for the best if we head home." she said and Sansa nodded, her friend wished to see Highgarden again as much as she did.

They didn't spend long in Oldtown and yet she was called to speak to her grandfather and uncles. Baelor, Garth, Gunthor, and Humfrey all waiting for her when she arrived at her grandfather's solar. She felt nervous for some reason and then she realized that something had happened, her uncle Baleor had traveled with her grandmother and she wondered if they knew, something she found out for certain a moment later.

"It's good to see you well granddaughter and I'd wish to be speaking to you on less important things but Baelor brings news from your grandmother which I must speak on." her grandfather said looking inquisitively at her.

"Of course grandfather." she said with a smile.

"Ser Jon Snow, Margaery, he's not who we've all thought he was and by all accounts is someone we hope he is, can you confirm for me his name?" her grandfather asked and Margaery took a breath, briefly for a moment she considered not saying it but she knew she must.

"Jaehaerys Targaryen, grandfather, he's the trueborn son of Rhaegar and Lyanna Targaryen and the man I am to marry." she said with a smile.

"You are?" Baelor asked happily.

"Jon and I love one another uncle. I loved him before I knew who he truly was and while the agreement was done, we were unaware of it, we wished to wed and we will be." she said and saw her grandfather smile.

"I am most pleased to hear it granddaughter, most pleased, more so now that I can see your own happiness with the arrangement." her grandfather said.

"I am happy grandfather, Jon is a good man and he'll make a great king." she said proudly.

"And you'll make a great queen niece, congratulations." her uncle Gunthor said and one by one they spoke to her.

It was as she was going to her bed that her grandfather stopped by her room, her aunt walking beside her and Malora looked every inch the name she'd sometimes heard people use for her. The mad maid they called her and looking at her straggly hair and her tattered clothing, Margaery felt she fit that description. Yet when she spoke there was no madness there and her words made her think of something had Jon said about things he'd seen.