THE VIPER AND THE DRAGON

Casterly Rock 294 AC.

Jon.

He had been sitting there speaking with Margaery and Loras when he felt it, Ghost something was happening with Ghost, he turned to Margaery and told her he'd return in a moment and walked out into the hall. As he walked quickly he didn't even notice that Walder hadn't kept up, just headed off to where he knew Ghost was. He saw it then Ghost looking threateningly at prince Oberyn the black pup growling beside him, he saw the prince reach to his waist and realized if he took out a weapon he was done for.

"Ghost to me." he said and his wolf moved towards him.

"I thank you." Prince Oberyn said his relief clear.

"Don't mention it my prince."

"You have me at a disadvantage?" Oberyn said looking at him.

"Apologies my prince, Jon, Jon Snow." he said and smiled at him.

It was as if time stood still then and he realized it straight away with how the prince looked at him, he knew or if he didn't he would soon. His mind raced as he thought through the possibilities, as he went over the different scenarios in his brain, it was not the first time he'd done so. Ever since he'd first spoken to Richard about how to bring Dorne in he'd considered what would actually happen should they find out the truth.

Giving Oberyn the Mountain was only partly a way to bring them on board, Jon knew better than most the love a brother could feel for a murdered sister, the thoughts of the justice, no vengeance he had sought for Rhaenys was clear in his mind still. So whether they forgave him, accepted him, rejected him or sought to punish him in some way he cared not, Elia's brother deserved what he sought as much as Jon had. But it was supposed to be after the Mountain had fallen and not before that he would seek to speak to Oberyn or Doran, after they had sated their need for vengeance and not before.

"I have heard much about you young man, the things you're said to have done are known even in Dorne." Prince Oberyn said and if he was unsure he'd been recognized before it was clear in how Oberyn looked at him now that he certainly knew the truth.

"People speak my prince, I've played a small part nothing more." he said.

"You do yourself a disservice Jon, my daughter speaks of you as if you're different, as if you'd been born a Dornishman instead of in the cool North." he said pointedly.

"Your daughter my prince?" Jon asked trying to change the subject.

"Sarella, she spoke to you earlier." Oberyn said with a smile.

"Aye she did, she seems most eager for knowledge."

"Something she inherited from me perhaps as I often find myself most eager to learn new and interesting things." Oberyn said looking directly at him.

He was about to reply when Walder arrived, the large man glaring at the prince before looking to see he was fine and that Ghost was standing beside him.

"I should be getting back, I've left my friends alone for much too long i fear." Jon said, now was certainly not the time to speak to the prince he realized.

"As should I, maybe we could walk together, with those wolves of yours I find myself most protected." Oberyn said with a smirk.