THE DRAGON FLIES

Casterly Rock 297 AC.

Genna.

She readied herself for the conversation to come, sitting in her room and wondering if there was any other way to do this. When Jon had told her that he wanted to be there with her when she did it, Genna had almost hugged the boy. He had so much to do, so many preparations to make and yet for this, he was willing to take as much time as needed. Tommen would welcome his presence she knew that, her nephew saw Jon as who he wished to be, ironic she thought since at one point the may have ended up as king himself.

For Genna, though she knew that this conversation wouldn't go like the last, that telling a boy he was no longer a prince, that his father wasn't his father, that was easy compared to telling him that his mother was dead. Tommen hadn't mourned Joffrey nor the life he'd had before or thought he was living now. In some ways, her nephew had welcomed it, but then she knew if she asked her boys if they wished to be a prince or a knight then Walder and Tion would say the same thing. She closed her eyes briefly when she heard the knock on the door and then got up and walked to it, opening it to find Jon and Tommen standing outside.

"Aunt Genna, Ser Jon says you wish to speak to me." Tommen said.

"King Jaehaerys, Tommen" she said and the boy blushed and stumbled over saying it, Jon reaching out to place a hand onto his shoulder.

"I'm Ser Tommen's knight and he my squire." Jon said and she smiled when Tommen did, though hers was nowhere near as true as his.

"Come in and take a seat, Tommen." she said and nodded while looking to Jon who walked in and sat down beside him, the young boy looking to her and Jon moving closer towards him.

"Tommen, we've sent the ship to bring Myrcella back, she'll be here within the week." Jon said and though she'd agreed that this would be how they did it, she wondered now if they should have saved that for last.

"She's not been hurt has she?" her nephew asked softly.

"No Tommen, she hasn't, but…Tommen…your mother.." she began and she couldn't, the tears came and she just couldn't.

"Aunt Genna?" Tommen said and bless the gods for making him do so but feeling his arms hold her as he tried to offer comfort to her, shamed her a little.

"Tommen, come sit with me." Jon said as she tried to compose herself.

"But…" Tommen said and she nodded to him while she walked to get a handkerchief to wipe her eyes, knowing that it was a pointless exercise as soon she'd be crying again.

"Tommen." Jon said a little more firmly.

Tommen did what he asked and as she was coming back from wiping her eyes, she saw how close Jon sat, the concern clear in his eyes as he spoke to her nephew.

"Tommen, we received some terrible news from King's Landing, news I wish I could keep from you, news about your mother." Jon said his voice barely above a whisper.

"Ser Jon, is she..did he hurt her?" Tommen asked worriedly.

"Tommen, your mother is…she is…Tommen…she's dead." Jon said and how he managed to make it through the sentence she didn't know, glad though that he had.