A LIFETIME AGO

A/N: Jon while with Aemon and elsewhere will think of and be thought of as a Targaryen so he'll be called Jae/Jaehaerys at some points here and Jon at others.

Jae.

?

He walked across the grass and made his way to the cliffs, his hand being held tightly to make sure he didn't let her go. When he closed his eyes momentarily they were inside the castle gates, she led him through the doors and smiled warmly at him as she showed him their ancestral home. The Stone Drum Tower was imposing, it's great hall impressive though welcoming, at the front the throne beckoned but he passed it and entered the room behind it. The Painted Table showed the map of the seven kingdoms and was built at the conqueror's behest, the large seat at the top where Dragonstone would rest was raised above the table and Jae made his way and sat in it. As he looked down on the map she walked to him and smiled before waving her hands over it.

"This is our family's birthright Jae, this is your kingdom waiting for you to claim it."

He closed his eyes and he was once again back on the cliffs, her hand wrapped in his, he looked out onto the sea which stretched beyond them, in the distance he could make out lights and watched amazed as the sea was replaced by a city he knew, the large imposing visage of the Red Keep loomed and she held his hand tighter. Within moments they were in a room and he looked on as a small frail dark haired woman leaned over a crib, he heard the sobs coming from beside him and so he grabbed her and held her tight refusing to let her go until they stopped.

When they did he watched as a tall silver haired man walked in carrying something in his hands and stood beside the woman, before placing the object in his hands inside the crib. She led him towards it and they looked inside, the babe was small and dark skinned with deep purple eyes. He looked from the babe to her and back again and knew then who lay in the crib, he felt her hand reach out and as he looked on she touched the egg, it's whiteness even more stark against her tanned skin and the blue flecks almost shimmering in the light.

She led him away though he had no wish to leave, but she nodded and he followed, they walked down the corridor and entered another room and he saw a small girl playing with a black cat, her smiling face making him wish nothing more than to sit and play too. But he watched the girl suddenly step up and walk to the corner before she tried and failed to carry the egg, as he watched it fall and roll across the floor he laughed only for the girl beside him to frown.

A few moments later he watched as a tall dark skinned bearded man wearing a white cloak came in with the little girl, the man bent down and lifted the egg and he and the girl left. They followed walking down the corridor yet again and came once more to the room with the crib, both the silver haired man and the frail woman were standing by the crib and he watched as the little girl walked up to them.

"For my brother." she said as the dark skinned man held out the egg.

"No Rhae, that's yours" the silver haired man said.

"NO it's my brothers and mine." the girl said determinedly.

He watched as the man reluctantly took the egg and walked to the crib, he placed it inside and then the screams began, he reached back in and took the egg out and they stopped suddenly. The silver haired man looked around the room and he watched on as he once again placed the egg in the crib only for the screams to be even louder this time. The man then walked back to the little girl and knelt down looking her in the eye.