The Dragon Cub| Game Of Thron...

By Ikonic_Fantast

Jaime realises Jon's true idenity when visiting Winterfell, remembering a promised made to Rhaegar, Jaime and... More

CHAPTER - 1
THE WHITE LION AND THE SNOW PRINCE
A FUTURE REVEALED
WELCOME TO THE ROCK
AN IMP, A LION AND A BASTARD
THE WORLD TURNS AND THE GAMES CONTINUE
JOURNEYS AND PREPARATIONS
ARRIVALS, MEETINGS AND NIGHT TIME ENCOUNTER
A ROSE, A DRAGON AND ARROWS OF FORTUNE
THE MELEE
THE JOUST
THE DUELS
REACTIONS
FAREWELLS AND GOODBYES
POISON IS A WOMEN'S WEAPON
A LION'S BITE IS WORSE THAN HIS ROAR
WOLVES, LIONS AND WALRUSES OH MY
FUNTIME IN THE OLD TOWN TONIGHT
A YEAR IS A LONG TIME IN WESTEROS
GOLD ALWAYS BELIEVING IN GOLD
FRIENDS AND FAMILY
THE PATH FORWARD
LET THE GREAT GAME BEGIN
A DAY IN KINGS LANDING
A KNIGHT IN KINGS LANDING
A DRAGON IN WOLFS CLOTHING
FAMILY
HONOUR
DUTY
OCEANS OF TIME
MERMEN AND MERMAIDS
TRUTH, SECRETS AND LIES
REALIZATION
ONCE MORE AROUND THE WORLD
THE MOURNING SWORD AND THE FALLEN STAR
ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL
BROTHERS IN ARMS
A LIFETIME AGO
BEEN AROUND THE WORLD
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS
WINTERFELL
HOME TRUTHS
BROTHERS AND SISTERS, MOTHERS AND SONS
WOLVES HOWL, CATS MEOW
THE NORTH REMEMBERS
THE WEDDING
THE BOARD IS SET
TIME TO SAY GOODBYE
WEASELS AND BUMPS IN THE NIGHTS
AS THE SUN RISES IN THE WEST
A BROTHERS JUSTICE
KINGS AND QUEENS
ITS A FINE DAY FOR A WHITE WEDDING
MAD, BAD, CRAZY AND LOYAL
THE VIPER AND THE DRAGON
THE VIPER AND THE MOUNTAIN
FAMILY AND FRIENDS OR FRIENDS ARE FAMILY
A DRAGON'S FIRE
ITS BEAUTIFUL BENEATH THE SEA
A DRAGON'S RAGE
MAESTER'S FALL AND DRAGONS RISE
OH DOWN TO THE RIVER WE DID RIDE
THE WORLD AND EVERYONE IN IT
DIRTY OLDTOWN, ITS A DIRTY OLDTOWN
SLEEPING WITH THE FISHES
GO EAST AND PROSPER
THE DRAGON MUST HAVE THREE HEADS
LIONS ROAD, DRAGONS BURN, WOLVES STALKS
MAESTER"S AND SERVANTS
SECRET GARDEN SHE HIDES
GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN
THE TRUTH HURTS
DESTINATION MORE IMPORTANT THAN JOURNEY
THE CAT'S OUT OF THE BAG
SET ASIDE
THE SONG OF ICE AND FIRE
THE HEART IS A BLOOM
THE RIGHT AND WRONG SIDE OF THE SHEETS
WOLF'S BITE
THE WOLF'S CHAMPION
THE WHIMS OF GODS AND MONSTERS
THE QUEEN OF LOVE AND BEAUTY
WE LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY
GOOD QUEEN ALYSANNE
EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD
MY DRAGON LOVES ME, SHE LOVES ME NOT
COME FLY WITH ME
A WEEK, FOURTEEN MEN AND A LOT OF RAVENS
THE MUMMERS DRAGON
JENNY'S SONG
MAD WORLD, MAD WORLD
A KING IS BORN
A DRAGON IS NOT A SLAVE
AN APPLE FROM A DIFFERENT BRANCH
A DRAGON FALLS
MEN PLAN AND A WANNBE GOD LAUGHS
THE BEST LAID PLANS OF MICE AND MEN
WORRIES AND DOUBTS
LOST IN TIME, LIKE TEARS IN RAIN
THE LAST JOURNEY
THE BLOOD OF THE DRAGON
I AM OF THE NIGHT
TO JOUST OR NOT TO JOUST, IS THE QUESTION
MY QUEEN ALWAYS
CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON
THREE MOONS PART ONE
THREE MOONS PART TWO
THE RISE OF THE DRAGON
THE DRAGON FLIES
THE DRAGON IS REVEALED
THE DRAGON'S HOME
THE WORLD IS FULL OF SECRETS AND TRUTHS
THE DRAGON PLANS
THE DRAGON AWAITS
THE KRAKEN AND THE BLACK DRAGON
BENEATH THE GOLD, THE BITTER STEEL
THE FALCON AND THE WOLF
A DRAGON RAGES

WHISPERS, SECRETS AND TRUTHS

3.6K 95 38
By Ikonic_Fantast

Sunspear 294 AC.

Arianne.

The feast was in full swing, celebrating with a Lannister not something men and women of Dorne had ever imagined being a possibility, and certainly not something she had ever thought to be one. However Tyrion she found to be far different than she would have imagined, the dwarf was witty, charming when he wished to be, and most importantly, he was fun.

She found far too many men to be boring, far too many to wish to speak on one subject only, be it arms and martial pursuits like Daemon, or power like Drey. Tyrion though didn't limit himself, his interests ran into almost everything, be it wine, or trade, politics or knowledge, no subject seemed beyond him. She found herself immensely enjoying their talks, so much so that Quentyn despite their earlier talk, still glared at her as she laughed when Tyrion said something funny.

"He is a Lannister and a dwarf, why should we feast him."

"He is a guest of our uncle, his family is the reason the Mountain that rides no longer does so, the reason why Amory Lorch breathes no more, they have helped avenged Elia, helped avenge Aegon and Rhaenys."

"They were the ones behind it in the first place." Quentyn said his voice raised.

"You blame a child for that, are you responsible for everything father does, am I?"

"That is not the same, father does not order the deaths of children."

"You will treat our guest with respect Quentyn, or I shall send you back to Yronwood in disgrace, or better yet Oberyn will teach you what being a Martell really means."

It seemed though that their conversation hadn't taken, Quentyn still the same petulant and childish boy he had always been. She would shame him if he spoke up though and he knew it, so he held his tongue, which was more than she could say for Tyrion, who was presently telling a delightfully rude story about a Jackass and a Honeycomb. Such a wicked tongue he has she thought with a smile, wondering if he knew how to use it in other ways.

"Lord Tyrion, perhaps you'd join me for some air?" she said smirking as Oberyn nibbled on Ellaria's ear.

"I would be honored Princess." he said and rose to his feet.

They walked from the hall to the balcony, other couples sitting around drinking and enjoying the cool breeze. Dornish feasts were far less formal than those in the rest of the seven kingdoms, once the food was served, the high table became less of the focus. Instead people would dance, move around more, only politics and important matters kept people to the high table.

Looking back into the room she saw Drey and some others look to her forlornly, she had kept her attention almost exclusively on Tyrion this night, kept her conversation mainly to him and her uncle. Rather than work the room, she had instead worked the man, trying to find out if it was a brief momentary lust she felt for the forbidden thoughts of being with a dwarf, or was there more to the man than his size.

"This is not what I expected princess." Tyrion said as he sipped on the wine.

"Arianne." she said as she sat on the small wall, her dress opening to show off her legs.

"Arianne, a Dornish feast, it's far different than I had expected."

"In Dorne we like to savor things Tyrion, enjoy each dish as if it's our last, enjoy the spices, the flavor, every mouthful, are you not a man who would enjoy every mouthful?" she said as she crossed her legs, her dress revealing even more of them.

"I am Arianne, though we are more used to rushing through our meals, to rushing so we can enjoy the sweet taste of our desserts, I find myself more willing to go far more slowly."

"Slow can be good Tyrion, though there is a time for speed too, do you not agree?" she said licking her lips.

"Variation Arianne, I find variation to be key." he said smiling at her his mismatched eyes gleaming in the night sky.

Arianne reveled in flirting, she reveled in making a man lose himself, a man lusting for her and she could see that Tyrion certainly did want her. But either he was far better at playing this game or something was holding him back, whichever it was it intrigued her, excited her, relieved her boredom. She was about to say something even more direct when Oberyn and Ellaria walked out, Obara, Nym and Tyene too.

"Ah, there my niece is, showing Tyrion the sights Ari?" Oberyn said a half-smirk on his face.

"Just showing him what delights Dorne has to offer uncle." she said and smirked when Tyrion gulped.

Good, it was nice to know he really was interested and not just flirting for the sake of it, she stood up and walked to her uncle, kissing his cheek.

"It's good to have you back uncle, though I'm distraught you'll not be staying for long."

"We leave on the morrow Ari, we must speak to Doran and then be on our way." Oberyn said and she looked to see a bit of disappointment on Tyrion's face, which matched her own.

"Then we must make the very best use of the night we have, don't you agree Tyrion?" she said and saw the dwarf smile.

They spent some more time on the balcony, before the cool air chilled too much, then after some dancing which Tyrion didn't partake in, nor did she since he was who she wised to dance with, the night eased down. Tyrion, despite looking like he was drinking as much as everyone else, was practically sober and she smirked as she noticed his trick, always holding a half-full glass, always looking as if you'd just emptied your own.

After bidding everyone good night and going back to her room, she quickly changed into something far more revealing. Giving the guards quite an eyeful, which wasn't anything new, she made her way to Tyrion's room and knocked at the door. The look he gave her when he opened it, fed into her arousal, she said nothing, just walked in and closed the door behind her.

"Princess I.." he stuttered adorably.

"Welcome to Dorne." she said with a smile as she undid the straps and her dress fell to the floor.

As she stood at the gates waving them off many hours later she smiled, the marks he'd left on her were covered for now, though she'd take pleasure in seeing them later. She had asked him to bite her and he had, asked him to please her and he did, asked him to satisfy her and she was more than sated. Smiling she turned and walked back towards the Old Palace, she had asked him to return and he had promised he would, and she found herself far more eager for his, than for anyone else's thus far.

Riverlands/Kings Landing 294 AC.

Ser Richard.

He and Darius had both stayed in the shack and taken a turn to go to the small village, he felt in some ways lost here, cut off from the rest of his lips, and so he had no wish to stay too long. The news Darius brought him of Hoster's death though changed everything, Richard could honestly say there were few men he hated as much as Hoster Tully, few he wished to see suffer more than him.

But with him gone that meant that Edmure was now Lord Paramount of the Trident, now Lord of Riverrun and so he began to consider what this would mean for his king. On one hand, he would be a terrible Lord, the fractures in the Riverrlands could be exploited, even more. They could both take advantage and also weaken any potential force that Robert could call against them.

On the other, being a lord was vastly different than being heir, a lord had more access to funds, more access to men to order around, given he believed Edmure had tried to kill his king once, Would this now mean he'd try with greater effort? He needed to speak to the girl Darius had inside, needed to know more about things, so he had Darius arrange a meeting and waited until the morning when she'd show up.

"Where is she Darius?" he asked impatiently the next morning.

"She'll be here, she needs time to get away, that and we usually meet closer to the keep."

"Go find her, escort her here and back if you need to." he said and Darius nodded.

They arrived an hour or so later and the young girl seemed incredibly nervous, the fact she was meeting him seeming to have scared her somewhat.

"Pearl, this is Alayn, he's a friend of mine, you can tell him anything, I'll be outside." Darius said nodding to him as he walked outside.

"Milord." she said and he shook his head.

"Not a lord Pearl, just Alayn, take a seat, have you eaten?" he asked and she shook her head.

He gave her the remainder of what he had been breaking his fast on, the deer meat though cold was still tasty and the bread was fresh and while at first, she eat only a little, soon she was finishing the meal.

"Darius tells me you've had some visitors Pearl?"

"We has milord, the lord's sister and uncle have come and helped with Lord Hoster's funeral."

"And what are they like, these visitors?"

"The uncle is nice milord, he treats us all well, the lady is mean though, she calls us out on things, makes sure we're dressed right and look right, makes sure we're not standing around she calls it."

"How are things between them all, do they get along?"

"The lady and the lord do, the uncle not so much, he don't spend much time with them, but those two, always whispering they are, always speaking together."

Richard looked carefully at the girl, she wasn't lying he could tell, but could she be mistaken, perhaps she'd just not seen them all together, he was about to ask her but she spoke then about the funeral.

"The uncle milord, he weren't happy when the lord missed the shots, weren't happy at all, I were serving him later and he was grumbling with some of the other lords, none of them happy it seemed to me."

"About the lord's death?" he asked.

"That and about the new lord, milord."

"What did you hear about the new lord?"

"Not much, something about a bastard and Kings Landing, and bandits, but I didn't catch it all, only that one of them said something funny about the Frey's." the girl said with a giggle.

"What did they say?"

"That they were no more bandits than he were a Frey milord."

"And the Lord's death?"

"Awfully quick it were milord, one minute he were up and about, the next lying on the floor in his son's room."

"He was found in his son's room?" he asked and the girl nodded.

"Anything else?"

"The uncle weren't happy milord, nor the lady, but the lord were, he's been smiling every time I brings him his drinks milord."

"I thank you, this is exactly what I need, now Darius promised you a gold dragon didn't he" he said and the girl looked at him as if he was mad.

"He did milord, but I didn't find out anything." she said sadly.

"You found out enough, it's all there." he said handing her a pouch full of coins, giving her a gold dragon itself would cause far too many problems "Spend it wisely and should you need to leave, speak to Darius, I'll find something for you."

"Thank you, milord, thank you." the girl said looking at the pouch in awe.

As she got up to leave she turned back.

"Milord, there is something else, I think the lord and lady are planning a trip or something, one of the guards and me, we meet for a tumble or two and well he said they're going to Kings Landing." she said and he nodded waiting for her to leave.

He sat there while Darius led the girl back closer to the keep, trying to make sense of things in his head, Hoster's death was sudden and it happened in his son's room, the Blackfish seemingly not in tune with his niece and nephew and now a trip to the capital. What the hell were the fishes up to?. When Darius came back he spoke to him on the girl, telling him to keep her as a contact, to dissuade her from leaving for now.

Two days later.

The girl's information was sound, Edmure and Catelyn along with a decent-sized escort were heading to Kings Landing, after saying his goodbyes to Darius, he began to ride on ahead, he needed to be there before them. He rode hard to Darry, knowing that there he'd receive more information and a change of horses too. It took him almost ten days to reach the keep and when he did he was annoyed to find Raymun not in the castle. He did get to change his horses though and did find some messages waiting for him, though nothing really interesting or important. He stayed the night and left after breaking his fast the next morning.

He was tired, saddle sore and wet as it had rained for the previous three days, by the time he arrived in Kings Landing he couldn't wait to be off his horse. Making his way to his building he was glad to be home though, despite everything that had happened in this city, despite all he'd lost, Kings Landing was his home.

"Alayn." he heard Tobias say as he dismounted.

"Not now Tobias, I need a warm bath, a hot meal and some rest, whatever it is it can wait until the morrow."

"I was just about to welcome you home, but aye it can wait." Tobias said with a chuckle.

In the end, he enjoyed the bath, ate the meal, drank some ale, but sleep eluded him, so sitting at his desk he went over the reports from his lips, read the whispers and the messages.

Things progressing in the north, the lord making changes to the town of winter, a squid on his heels though, nowhere to be found.

The wolf boy traveling abroad, sailing with the merman.

He read the next ones from the Reach.

A red wolf has landed, taking to her lessons well, settling in nicely and making herself a den.

The thorns are prickly, a falcon trying to make a nest in their bushes.

From Dorne.

Gifts received, welcomed and treated with the respect they deserved.

A small lion and a snake in the grass soon to arrive.

From the Vale.

Proud lords up in arms as Lions begin to roar, prices raised and shouts heard.

The falcon's heir grows ever weaker.

From the Stormlands.

A small stag travels far from home, looking for something in the rose garden,

A lord has become far too friendly with a man of red, the faith not happy.

From the east he opened the letter, wondering how Clegane was getting on.

The boy fell, nothing I could do, it was the girl you cared about anyway. There are people looking for her, people from here, I'm on the move, seems safest, for now. The girls good, clever and smart, brave too, we'll be fine, consider this my resignation, what your plans are I care not, I'll not let her be used, not by them, not by you.

Richard couldn't help but smirk, the king was right, Sandor was the right man. Though it bothered him he'd not receive more news, he could find them if he needed, knowing she was safe was far more important, than knowing where she was. He opened the letter from the west, eager to hear from his king.

Richard,

Much has happened, much you may not be aware of, much you no doubt will already know by the time you read this.

Tyrion and Oberyn have traveled to Oldtown, they will need to meet with Marwyn to find out more, but it seems the Maester's were far more involved. Creylen spoke some and we found out more, but we're searching in the dark Richard, trust none but the names we give you, not that you would anyway.

Be safe, be well,

Jae.

He looked through his other messages, eager to see if there was more, there was confirmation from his lips that Tyrion and Oberyn arrived in Oldtown and met the Maester, that they'd since left, but his Dornish lips had confirmed that. Once done, he began to write, sending out his orders, then once he was ready he'd prepare for the fishes. Soon he'd meet Barristan and see if there was anything else he needed to know, get a different perspective should he need it.

Highgarden 294 AC.

Margaery.

She looked at the box, almost eager to open it, eager to find out what it was Jon had given her, but she wished to wait, she'd open it at the feast and so she placed it in her pocket and made her way to the great hall. Her family, her friends, Sansa, even Fang were all there waiting for her when she entered, she heard them cheer and blushed a little as she walked to her seat.

Her father smiled at her, then stood up and began to speak.

"My lords and ladies, I welcome you all to this nameday feast for my beloved daughter, raise your glasses please, to Margaery, Happy Nameday.

"Happy Nameday." she heard the voices say as the cheers rang out.

Taking her seat she turned to Sansa who was sitting beside her, Willas sitting beside her friend, she smiled and the food began to arrive. The fare was a mixture of both normal feast dishes and some of her favorites, but this time it was she who decided who to send them down to. Seeing Lord Renly at his table she sent him the first dish, the Lord flashing her a welcoming smile.

When they second came she sent it to her cousins, then to Lord Tarly, following on then in the order she and her grandmother had decided upon. She ate from the ones she enjoyed, took a taste of the ones she did not as was custom and looked forward to the sweets and desserts. Once they arrived and she'd eaten it was time for the presents, she smiled as her father turned to her first, he and her mother standing up to present her with their own.

"For my beautiful daughter." her father said and she opened the box to see the beautiful necklace, the jewels immaculate.

Garlan and Leonette gave her some fabrics, others gave her more of them, some pretty dresses from her grandfather, though she had no doubt it was her aunts who picked them. Her grandmother gave her a beautiful book, it's illustrations incredible, that it was the history of the Targaryen's was no great surprise.

"Lady Margaery." she heard Sansa say as she stepped forward, the shawl she carried in her hands beautiful and delicate "I hope you like it." she said as she handed it to her.

It was snow-white, with golden roses embroidered on it, but as you looked closer among the white were little dots of red, it took her a moment to see it clearly, but somehow Sansa had managed to hide Ghost's outline among the patterns. The white wolf protecting and guarding the golden roses, Margaery almost cried in her happiness, kissing Sansa on the cheek instead.

"My lady, I've been told you like to hawk and though I know your brother breeds perhaps the best, perhaps you will accept these as a token of my affection." Lord Renly said and his words confused her, though she did think the little hawk chicks to be incredibly beautiful.

"I thank you, my lord, your gift is most gracious and I accept it gladly." she said smiling as he bowed before walking away.

As more and more gifts came, another book this one from Samwell Tarly much to his father's annoyance and her grandmother's amusement, she sat there her hand on the box, wondering if she should open it now. In the end, her curiosity needed to be satisfied, she needed to know, so she took it out and carefully unwrapped it.

"Who's that from sweetling?" she heard her mother say.

"Jon." she said smiling as she opened it.

"Ser Jon sent you a gift?" her father said thinking it was someone else, a Fossoway perhaps.

"No Just Jon." she said her smile beaming now as she finally had it unwrapped.

She was confused at first when she looked inside, it seemed to be parchment, small pieces of parchment, though as she touched them she found something solid at the bottom. Reaching in she took one of them out and looked at it and felt her heart almost stop. It was her grandmother, drawn so small it fitted easily into the box, but the colors, the way it looked, it was her, it was as if she was holding her in her hand.

Looking through the others, she felt overwhelmed, Garlan, Willas, Loras, Her mother and Father, Joy, Ghost, Winter, Rhaenix too which she quickly put in her pocket, the last one though took her breath away and tears of happiness fell from her eyes. He had placed it in a small covering, something she'd not seen before, something one would put on a table or desk.

As she looked at the picture of Jon and she together seemingly dancing, her fingers touching the glass that covered them, she wiped her eyes and looked to her grandmother and father who were looking at her with concern.

"Jon made me some drawings." she said and handed out the ones of her family, while walking to show her grandmother the one he'd done of her.

She placed the one of Jon and she in her pocket, alongside Rhaenix, while her family each looked at the images he'd drawn of them.

"These are incredible, look Garlan it's you." Leonette said.

"Loras, my sweet Loras." her mother said while her father stared at his own image as if it was magical.

"He's a very talented young man indeed." her grandmother said and smiled as she looked at her own.

After showing them to some more people, she gathered them up, Sansa showing the drawing of Ghost to Fang who whined and moved to lick it, Sansa quickly moving it from her and telling her no. Margaery placed the drawings back in the box, placing the one of Rhaenix and the one of Jon and her in there too, before putting the box back in her pocket. Once done she sat back down and hoped not too many boys would ask her to dance tonight.

It was inevitably a forlorn hope, not only as it was her nameday would it mean she'd be almost required to dance, but for some reason, her mother or father had seemed to have invited almost every boy they could to this feast. Even Lord Renly asked her to dance and she found it most strange to dance with a man that much older than her. He was a good dancer though, even if she was barely thinking of him as they did so.

"You seem distracted my lady." Renly said.

"Am I, my apologies my lord, one too many dances it would seem." she said and thankfully he took it to mean what it meant, rather than as being about him.

"Would you prefer to sit and speak my lady, if you would then I would be honored to."

"I would my lord, I thank you."

She found him to be charming and witty, though both his interest in her and it seems in a boy sitting behind her at times she found disconcerting. By the time she said her goodbyes to him and reached the high table, she found her father smiling at her and nodding to the lord and Sansa looking on furiously. Sitting down with her friend, she felt it was best to deal with this first, before speaking to her grandmother on the other.

"Sansa?" she said softly to no reply "Sansa." she said again to nothing, before a little more loudly "Sans." she said and received a chuckle from the girl.

"I thought Joy was still back at the Rock." Sansa said smirking before they both giggled.

"Well she always seems able to get peoples attention, I thought I'd try it."

"Sorry Marge, I was just annoyed."

"At who?" she asked curious herself now.

"Boys." Sansa said looking down to a table below them.

Margaery looked to see who was sitting there, Dickon Tarly, Horas and Hobber, a couple of Stormlands boys she didn't recognize and some other boys from the Reach. She had danced with almost half of them, while she knew Sansa had danced with even more, curious she turned to see what it was they had done or said to annoy her friend.

"What did they do?"

"What, oh nothing, it's jut they think us stupid, simple, little girls who swoon and faint at their feet." Sansa said and Margaery smiled, she had said the same words to Sansa no more than a week ago.

"Well, not all boys are like them." Margaery said thinking of one in particular.

"Hmm, which boy could you be speaking of I wonder." Sansa said and Margaery blushed.

"My brothers." she said quickly and saw a slight glance from Sansa to Willas.

"Not mine?" Sansa said raising her eyebrow.

"Sansa." she said in mock outrage.

"Margaery." Sansa said as both of them laughed.

"I only know one of your brothers."

"Then it's just as well he's not like other boys then isn't it." Sansa said smugly.

"Aye it is." she replied softly.

As the feast eventually died down, she bid her farewells and she and Sansa and Fang walked to their rooms, she said goodbye to her friend and went into her own room, undressing and taking the box from her pocket. Opening her drawer, she took out her box with her letters from Jon, placing the drawings inside, she took the covered one of them both and climbed into her bed.

Smiling at it as she placed it on her bedside table, she turned it so it faced where she slept, she blew out the candles and smiled as she slept, dreaming of dancing with a dark-haired boy, his face smiling as his grey eyes looked into her brown ones

The Water Gardens 294 AC.

Doran.

If receiving Varys had been a surprise then receiving the body of Amory Lorch had been a shock, knowing that Oberyn had gone to make the Mountain pay, his first instinct had been his brother had dealt with Lorch too. But the timing was off, he may have been able to, but would Oberyn risk dealing with Lorch when it was the Mountain he sought.

His brother was reckless that was true, he was though also determined, Lorch would be on his mind, but secondary, it would need to be far too convenient for him to kill the man. Reading the letter that had come with the body also confirmed it was just like Varys, not a Martell who had taken this vengeance, but just like with Varys someone who sought their favor.

For Rhaenys.

Two words, that was it, two words which said so much, as he looked at the body he had smiled at the stab wounds happy the man had suffered, half a hundred he had counted with his own hand, what was the significance he didn't know, but he did fear it, spitting on the corpse of the man, he feared it greatly.

It was almost a moon later when his nieces and Ser Daemon arrived back, bringing with them the enormity that rides' body. The streets of Sunspear, the Water Gardens, from the Salty Shore to the Mountain's, Dorne celebrated, Dorne welcomed the news of the Mountain's fall. At the feast where he had Clegane's head placed with Lorch's, where he had their manhood's placed in their mouths, his gout had seemed to recede if only briefly, allowing him to stand and address those there.

"My lords and Ladies of Dorne, look and see the faces of the Mountain, Amory Lorch and Varys, the men responsible for the rape and murder of my sister, the men responsible for the murder of my neice, the murder of my nephew. Look and see what Dorne thinks of these men, what vengeance we have wrought upon them.

The mountain killed by mine own brother's hands, killed by your prince, by Oberyn." he shouted.

"Oberyn."

"To those who dare, I say this, we are Dornish, we never forget, we never forgive, wrong us and we will seek vengeance, we will seek justice." Doran said.

"Vengeance."

"Justice.

"For Elia, For Rhaenys, For Aegon."

"Elia."

"Rhaenys."

"Aegon."

But that was then and this was now and as Areo stood behind him, he sat and waited, Oberyn would be here soon and he would be bringing the imp of Casterly Rock with him. His brother had been gone for far too long, he had traveled to Oldtown, to find out something about Maesters. Why? Doran knew not, his nieces refused to tell him, saying only their father would speak on Lannisport, Casterly Rock and the things they'd seen upon his return.

"Ser Daemon, I wish you to tell me what you saw while in the west."

"I cannot my prince."

"I am the ruler of Dorne, Ser Daemon, you have sworn to my house have you not?."

"I have my prince, I would die for House Martell, but prince Oberyn made me swear a blood oath my prince, he wishes to speak to you himself and I'll not break my vow to him."

Another time he'd have admired the loyalty, at that time however he was annoyed and frustrated, Ser Daemon was lucky he wasn't angry though and so he was just removed from his presence.

"My prince they have arrived."

He waited and then they came in, his brother and his paramour, his brother's daughters, except for Tyene and Sarella, and the imp.

"Brother it is good to see you well." Oberyn said smiling at him.

"You too brother it is good to see you safe." he said and then Ellaria stepped forward.

"My prince." she said kissing his hand.

"Ellaria, your children are in the summer pool, I've no doubt despite how wonderful my company may be, it is theirs you would much rather enjoy." he said smiling as the woman smiled back at him before quickly heading off.

He hadn't dismissed her and Oberyn and he had no issue with her being aware of certain of their plans, but he was a father and he knew what it felt to be parted from his children, he could only imagine how worse that was for a mother.

"My prince." the Imp said stepping forward.

"Lord Tyrion a pleasure to welcome you to my home." he said only half lying.

After sending for refreshments they took their seats and he looked to Oberyn waiting to see him either dismiss the Lannister, or begin to speak, it seemed to be the latter as Oberyn looked to Tyrion and nodded.

"I learned many things while in the West brother, many surprising things, but before I get to them, I need you to read this." Oberyn said handing him a letter.

Doran took it and looked at it, seeing the writing he felt his chest tightening.

"This, this is Elia's handwriting."

"It is brother, read it."

The tears came halfway through, by the end they were flowing freely, his sister, his sweet sister, this couldn't be, a hidden dragon, a hidden king, where, where was he hiding? As he looked up it began to make sense, Jaime Lannister's squiring of the boy, the things he was able to do, the story that Stark had given had always irked him, but like so many others, he believed in the honor of the man.

"Jon…Jon Snow?" he said and Oberyn smiled.

"Our nephew, brother, our nephew lives."

Nephew, what did he mean, nephew, this boy wasn't his blood, no matter what Elia's letter said, he looked to Oberyn who was still smiling, to Tyrion who was watching carefully.

"You've met the boy?" he asked his brother.

"I have, it's thanks to him the Mountain and Lorch are dead, thanks to him I am not, but there is more brother, he has dragons brother, one of them…one of them is our niece."

"What?" he asked and he wasn't sure if it was because of Oberyn saying the boy had dragons, or because he said one was their niece.

Oberyn explained and the more he did so the more fantastical the story got, dragons, one with the spirit of Rhaenys somehow inside, his niece alive as a dragon, it seemed mad to him. But Oberyn and then the dwarf both confirmed it, the boy would be claiming the throne, the West, North and Reach already behind him, with dragons it would be inevitable he would win.

Doran needed to think, he needed to process, but before he got the chance, he was hit with more revelations. When Oberyn asked to see Caelotte, he had the Maester brought to him, watching as his brother stood to his feet, laughing and japing with Tyrion as he moved closer to the Maester. When he caught the man a blow to the back of his head, both he and Areo moved, his guard's spear pointing at his brother, while he had spun in his chair.

"What is the meaning of this, Oberyn what are you doing?"

"This man is a traitor brother, a traitor to our house, a traitor to Dorne and a traitor to you."

He began explaining the Maester's Conspiracy to him, how they sought to bring down the dragons, sought to weaken House Targaryen and by design anyone close to them. When he told him of Elia's illnesses, of what the Maesters did to Rhaella, of what Caelotte may have done to him, Doran felt his anger rise.

"Take him to the dungeons," he said to his guards.

Once he had gone he allowed Tyrion and Oberyn to go to the Maester's rooms, allowed them to check for whatever it was they deemed of such import, they were gone for some time, but it allowed him to think. A hidden king presented both opportunities and problems, that Oberyn saw the boy as a nephew was concerning, but if the boy felt the same way it kept him close, which was good.

Knowing Olenna and his own ambitions, no doubt she sought a marriage for her support, the fact she'd already given it most likely meant that she'd already received those assurances. But Doran wished for Martell blood on the throne, and despite Oberyn's feelings, this boy was not of their blood.

No, Arianne would be queen, not a Tyrell, and if this boy wasn't willing to give him the betrothal, then he'd just need to stick to the one he'd already agreed to. When Oberyn and Tyrion returned a few minutes later they were carrying some books, one in particular interested the dwarf it seemed. He waited until his brother had sat down, waited until the dwarf was fully engaged, knowledge was power he knew better than most, it was time he gained some more of his own.

"Tell me of my nephew brother." he said a smile on his face.

Kings Landing 294 AC.

Barristan.

With Richard back in town, Barristan felt even more excited heading to the tavern than usual, now he'd receive even more up to date information than he usually got. Without the Master of Whisperer's it seemed he was told basic everyday things, that the king was well, or that things were progressing, never was he told that which he most wished to know of.

Richard being both his friend as well as one of the king's lealest men though would always tell him more, so as he entered the tavern and saw him sitting there, he felt like a far younger man eager to hear of his friend's news. Given his own news that he needed to tell the man, it was a most fortuitous meeting, he took his seat, they ate and observed the pleasantries, although again with Richard they were always much more truly meant.

"Come my friend, we have much to discuss." Richard said leading him up the stairs.

He took a seat when they entered, glad to see Richard would be doing the same, this was going to be a far longer meeting than his usual ones.

"I'll go first, I've no doubt you're eager to hear what I'm about to tell you." Richard said.

"Most eager my friend."

"The king is well Barristan, and he has another dragon." Richard said with a smile.

"Another one?"

"Aye, two, can you believe it old friend, two dragons, would that Rhaegar was here to see it for himself." Richard said smiling.

Barristan shook his head, two dragons, his prince would have been ecstatic, that it was his son who had brought them back, even more so.

"But it's not all good news my friend, it seems the Maester's were far more devious than even we knew about, more and more of them wished to see the dragon's fall, but our king is on their trail. Prince Oberyn and Tyrion traveled to Oldtown and discussed much and more, suffice to say, Pycelle is untrustworthy, but as of now, so are they all."

"You know of who?"

"Some of the names aye, but there is no doubt more, we will find them Barristan, while Oberyn and Tyrion and the Maester may work their way, my lips will speak the truth, we shall find them all and they will pay, on this I swear."

"We have other issues, my friend, Robert spoke to Lady Catelyn, they wish to betroth the king's sister to Joffrey." Barristan said and Richard looked to him.

"We expected this Barristan, it's no problem."

"No, they've agreed to it Richard."

"What, without Stark's say?"

"Oh, they've covered it with a promise and the lady says she'll speak to Lord Stark himself, but I know the stag Richard, he'll announce this soon." he said and looked to his friend who was shaking his head.

"What else old friend?" Richard asked.

"The lady spends a lot of time with Littlefinger, I've not been able to hear what they speak of, but she's been here almost a week now and they spend as much time together as she does with anyone."

"Oh I know of what the lady speaks, trust me it's well in hand." Richard said.

"What is it Richard?" he asked and Richard looked at him before nodding.

"They mean to kill our king, have hired a man to do so."

"Why do they still walk Richard, why do they still breathe?"

"Because it's for the king to meet out justice Barristan, not you or I." Richard said and he shook his head.

"They mean my king harm Richard, as a Kingsguard it's my duty to protect him, surely it's best done by putting them both in the ground?"

"It's not just the two, the brother is in on it too, perhaps even the uncle."

"Brynden? he would not Richard, no I'll not believe that." he said angrily.

"He is their kin, would he not take their part?"

"You know him almost as well as I, do you think Brynden Tully capable of such a thing?" Barristan said

"No, you have the right of it, I may need to speak with him though, I will await the king's response."

"The assassin?"

"One of my own Barristan, he'll carry out his orders, fail and not be seen here again."

"You'd kill one of your own?" Barristan said shocked.

"I would if need be, aye, but I'll have no need of for it, not for this one, Bronn is far too good a man for that."

"Bronn, the cutthroat?"

"A good cover is it not, oh don't get me wrong he was when I found him, a man who would cut your throat for coin and not think twice about it, but he's a good man Barristan, I'd not trust him otherwise."

"Where is he now?"

"Collecting his gold from one of the brothel keepers men, man's got to get paid too after all." Richard said with a laugh.

"Thank the gods I ran into you when I did." Barristan said smiling.

"Oh you did the running did you?" Richard said with a chuckle, which soon turned into both of them laughing.

Once he was finished speaking he and Richard said their goodbyes, he was off to do his duty, while Richard no doubt was off to do his own. He walked back to the Red Keep wondering about what had been said, assassins, plots, this was his future, this was life now and he was glad of it. Arriving at White Sword Tower he found Ser Richard Horpe coming off his own duty, the man scowling like he hadn't done for quite some time.

"Ser Richard?" he said looking at his fellow Kingsguard.

"Ser Barristan, a word please."

Taking his seat he waited until Ser Richard began to speak, finding to his dismay the reason for his brother's anger. The crown prince had slapped his brother for no reason, pulled his sister's hair when she stood up for the boy, it would have gone further had not Ser Richard and Ser Arys stepped in, Ser Richard telling the prince his mother wished to see him.

Now his fellow Kingsguard feared what would happen when the queen realized he'd used her name, when it became clear he'd lied to the prince. For a man who after seeing what this order had developed into had almost wished to be dismissed, to now be so worried about that dismissal, proved just how true he was. Ser Richard doted on the princess, helped her in her little garden, kept her and her brother as far from Joffrey as he could.

Should it come to it, Ser Richard like Ser Jaime before him would Barristan had no doubt, stab a king in the back, certainly, the type of king Joffrey would be. He calmed him down and walked to the Tower of the Hand, walking in on Lord Edmure and Lady Catelyn speaking to Jon Arryn. He waited until they left, the lady seemingly annoyed, though he knew not what about, instead once they left he entered.

"Lord Hand we must discuss the crown prince."

"Not now Ser Barristan."

"No my Lord Hand, now it must be, he struck his brother again, his sister too, it must be brought to the king's attention, if not by you, then by me." he said looking at the Hand of the king.

Jon Arryn looked at him almost angrily, but then his expression changed, something a little more calculating began to form, it bothered Barristan greatly. Though should he be dismissed, he had his own king to support, so he'd let it play out.

"Come with me Ser, back up what I say." Jon Arryn said and he looked to the man and nodded.

When they reached the king's quarters, it was surprising to find the man sober, he was also even more surprisingly glad to see them.

"Jon, Ser Barristan, come in, I was just writing to Ned." Robert said and they looked to see someone sitting in the corner, quill and parchment in hand.

"Tell them to leave your grace, there is something we must discuss." Jon Arryn said and Robert pouted, before sending the girl away.

"What's so important, I wish to tell Ned the good news Jon." Robert said sitting down.

"It's about that Robert, we can't marry Joffrey to Lady Sansa." Jon Arryn said.

"I'll not have this conversation again Jon, I'll not give the boy to the roses, he'll marry Ned's girl and that's the end of it."

"Ser Barristan, why don't you tell the king what you told me."

Standing outside the queen's chambers that night Barristan felt in dire need of a bath, he actually felt unclean. Jon Arryn cared nothing about the prince and princess, instead, it was coin he wished for. Willing to sentence the Tyrell's rose to a life of misery with a cruel prince, all to gain a hand on their gold. Thankfully Robert was too wrapped up in his own fantasy to see anything, too eager to be joined to the Starks.

So he had refused to break the betrothal for any reason, even though he had no agreement with the girls father, he had however agreed to allow the Lady Catelyn to broach it with his friend before he announced it. As for Joffrey, well boys will be boys was the answer he got from the king, he'd speak with him, set him straight, as if that would work. At least he had agreed that the Kingsguard could take the prince and princess away from their brother if they deemed it so needed, that for now would have to be enough.

Barristan found himself getting ever more tired, how much longer would he need to be here, how much longer would he have to wait, how much longer would the realm suffer these people.

Casterly Rock 294 AC.

Jon.

Both Rhaenix and Lygaron were getting far too big for his room, it would be very soon that they'd need to be moved from here, his sister especially needed to stretch her wings. So after he woke up and broke his fast, after he spent some time with Joy, he, Loras, Cregan and Sarella, Ghost, Dusk and his guards made their way down to the vaults.

Jors and Walder would deal with the doors, while Arthur would join them, the cage being carried between them all. When they walked through the doors and out into the cove, he heard Lygaron chirp loudly, the bronze dragon eager for his first taste of freedom. His sister was much quieter though, much more reserved, though Jon could feel her own eagerness too.

"Keep him close Rhaenix, this is only a trial run?" he said and his sister laughed.

"Of course little brother, I'll keep him close." she said and then both dragons chirped as the cage was opened.

Watching the two dragons fly, the wolves run around in the sand, hearing the happy yelps from Dusk, the happy chirps from both dragons, he knew what he needed to do. Asking Sarella to watch them, he told them he'd return in a bit, before turning to walk back inside. The vaults were massive, large dark rooms, some lighter than others, but they were numerous and labyrinthine, so he moved from one to another, trying to see a pattern.

"Arthur, what do you think?"

"My king?"

"Could we stay here?"

"Jon, surely you don't mean to?" Loras said shaking his head.

"She's getting too big, she needs the room to grow, the room to see the world, Lygaron too, and I can't leave them, I can't be apart from them." he said seeing his friend understand.

"Wait, you're moving down here?" Cregan said as he realized what they were speaking off.

"Aye, if Arthur thinks it can be done?" he said looking to his knight.

"It can be done, in some ways, it could actually be better, though you'll need to keep appearances up top too."

"The Kingsguard?" he asked.

"Go where the king goes." Arthur said and he nodded his head.

They walked back down the corridors, Arthur marking some rooms as good, others as not, some doors he locked, some he opened. In the end, he found that since he was coming down here, Cregan wished to too, as did Loras, but he told his friend that just like Arthur said they needed to keep appearances up top, for now at least. Brienne still didn't know the truth and Jon was fighting himself daily wondering when and how to tell her.

With the decision made, over the next few days they began to prepare the vaults, Jon's room was actually not too bad, Sarella's next to it and Arthur's facing it. Jors and Walder would if they wish to have their own rooms too, there would be space for Loras and Brienne at some point, a room to meet in and some others they could use for storage and other things.

Speaking to Jaime on it, he was told that this is pretty much how the Rock was formed, that while Jon could stay there, he'd also need though to stay in the rooms on the family wing too, that appearances couldn't just be that, which he agreed too. Rhaenix was overjoyed, Lygaron too, they'd have access to fly, to be freer, there would be restrictions of course, but still his sister was happy, and to Jon that was all that mattered.

A few days later.

"Move, no quicker." Arthur shouted as Jon tried to dodge the two men.

"Left Jon, to the left." Jaime shouted and Jon moved there, before seeing an opening.

He thrust and spun, catching the man across he thigh, ducking out of the way of the returning strike. The other man caught him though and Jon felt the pain of the strike, he'd learn that lesson more quickly next time. He retaliated with a quick set of strikes, forcing the man to back off, before his feet were swept from him and he yielded when the sword was placed at his neck.

"Well done my prince, you did better today."

"But not good enough." he said smirking.

"Perhaps tomorrow." the other man said and he nodded, before turning to see Melisandre smiling at him.

Fighting Melisandre's guards had been her suggestion, at first both Arthur and Jaime had disagreed, but they did eventually allow him to fight them one on one, now though he had moved on to fight them both together. He'd yet to take a victory, either fighting one or both, but he was getting better, he could feel it, feel that it was close, seeing Melisandre's smiles, he was sure she thought so too.

"You did well, they fight much different than us, but you fight like them." Arthur said.

"I don't understand how?" he said and Jaime nodded.

"We all have our styles Jon, Arthur, I, Barristan, all of us fight a certain way which is our own way, you'll see influences, I was trained by Arthur, you by me, they are there, but we have our own uniqueness too." Jaime said.

"Jaime's right Jon, embrace it, don't fight it, when you're ready no one will be even close."

"Except for you two." Jon said smiling.

"Not even us." Arthur said and Jon shook his head.

A moon later.

They had moved down here a couple of weeks past, Melisandre and her guards, Arpal and Darax, joining them too, apart from Loras, Brienne, Joy and the Lannisters, everyone he cared for at the Rock basically lived here now. Rhaenix and Lygaron were thriving and according to Sarella getting ever bigger.

Rhaenix especially Jon thought. His sister perhaps the happiest of all about the move, even though some nights he couldn't sleep with them, she seemed happier here than she'd ever been in his room. A part of Jon felt guilty at that, thinking he had in some way stifled her by keeping her in his room, but according to her and Lygaron, it could only be now they moved.

"This is the right time brother, this is when it's supposed to be, you must have felt it."

"Yes father, earlier would have been bad." Lygaron said softly in his head.

"Why son?"

"It's not what they wished father, we need to be ready."

"Who are they?" he asked and Lygaron once again went quiet.

"Lygaron." he said and heard his dragon chirp as his sister chirped back at him.

"He's annoying, we should have left him in the egg." Rhaenix said and Lygaron chirped at her "See annoying." she said and Jon laughed despite himself.

Moving from the vaults to the family wing and back was hard, simply finding the right times to do so without creating questions, in the end, he found himself getting up even earlier in the mornings, going to sleep even later at night. The tiredness became something he got used to, something he would have dealt with had not Dacey insisted he begin to take naps during the day.

"It's bad enough that I'm tired all the time and can't sleep because of my discomfort, I'll not have it with you too Jon." she said as he yawned while breaking their fast one morning.

"Sleepy Jon, so sleepy." Joy said leaning into him as she ate and he looked at her over-exaggerated yawning and laughed.

"Really, you too, after all I've done for you, traitor." he said smirking when she stuck her tongue out at him.

"You need your beauty sleep Jon, I mean you really do, look at these eyes, we can't have them I tell you, no to bed I say." Joy said and as funny as it was hearing her impersonate Genna so well, it was funnier hearing what came next.

"Lady Joy Hill how dare you, I do not sound like that." Genna said entering the room.

She looked to him for rescue, he rolled his eyes and pretended to turn away, but feeling her hand on his arm he had to step in.

"It was my fault Lady Genna, we were playing a game." he said and Joy breathed a hugely relived sigh.

"You young man are too old for games, and you young lady are not as clever as you think, you may have this one wrapped around your fingers, but I know your games." Genna said and Jon had to give it to Joy, she held her laughter well even if it was only until Genna left the room.

"That was the best one yet." she said almost doubled over once Genna was gone.

He felt strange going to bed that night, felt almost a need to go, not tiredness, but as if he needed to be in bed, as he lay down, he looked to see Lygaron looking at him, Rhaenix already asleep. He reached out with his mind but the dragon wasn't letting him in, closing his eyes, he swore that the dragon wished him sweet dreams, but whether he did or didn't he was asleep in moments.

He was in a large room full of books, a circular room, men came in wearing grey robes, wearing chains, Maesters these were Maesters, which could only mean this was the citadel. He felt the anger rising and moved towards them, reaching out he watched as his hand seemed to go through the nearest man, almost as if he wasn't there.

They began to grab books and papers, began to pour drinks, Jon tried to memorize their faces, tried to see if he knew any of them, but they all looked the same to him.

"What news?"

"It seems the dragon may have another spawn on the way."

"How?"

"What does it matter, we cannot allow it to be born, can we?"

"No, have Pycelle deal with it."

The voices intermingled so he couldn't see who was speaking, who was answering, the conversation though seemed to be the key.

"Perhaps this won't require our intervention, a simple word may be enough."

He realized them he'd not seen it all, something was missing.

"No we must be sure, the child, cannot live."

"The mother?"

"Is of no consequence, though should she fall too, all is for the best."

Jon was furious, how dare they speak of his grandmother in such away, he would find them, he would find them all, if it took him the rest of his life, these men would pay.

He was in a building, hearing screams, he looked around, dragon banner's filled the walls, he moved towards he sounds. Heard the woman cry out.

"No Aerys, no please."

He moved faster, seeing the two men in front of him, white cloaks flowing behind them as they just stood there, an older man greying hair and beard, the other younger, neither men he recognized. He moved to the door, hearing the woman scream, he looked at the men seeing them stand there, neither even bothering to move.

"Please Aerys, my husband."

"Is my servant, what care I of him, now do as your king bids"

The screaming went on for some time, try as he might he couldn't enter, couldn't save her, whoever she was.

He soared through the air, the bronze dragon flying higher and higher, sitting on his back, he looked down, below him were lands he knew well, colors he remembered, he was in the West, he was home. The Rock loomed in front of him and Jon smiled, the dragon landed on the highest point, taking up residence, it perched and Jon found himself, beside a girl he recognized.

"Rhae," he said smiling at his sister, she was his age, a little smaller than him, but seeing her filled his heart with joy.

"Come brother, a dragon is being born."

She led him down some halls and he knew where he was, the family wing, the place he'd called home for five or more years, Jaime's room she was taking him to Jaime's room.

He heard the crying as they neared it, saw the small blond boy and girl holding each other as their tears fell, he saw Creylen shaking his head, saw the tall balding man shout as he looked at the bloodstained corpse of the woman laying in the bed. He moved into the room, saw the babe laying in a crib, his stunted legs, his mismatched eyes.

"Look Jae a dragon." he heard Rhaenys say.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

453K 15.7K 66
"I made a promise to protect you. Honor or not, that is one I intend to keep." - A story of a Lion and a Wolf, two beings brought together by the ver...
54.3K 2.7K 33
Aisha Velaryon-Targaryen is going to war. Defeat is not an option. 🌧 "Meet me at Midnight. It's when all the fun begins." 🐉 All explicit and oth...
797K 25.5K 48
they married for duty. they ruled for the realm. they fought for justice. but they healed for each other. A story in which two broken souls, brought...
32.4K 1.6K 20
Snow Stark. Black hair, red lips and her bad ass crew of dwarves have arrived in kings landing and they are coming for the crown. 🍎 "Take this stupi...