B.O.A.T - Brownest of All Time

Galing kay bigmadebrownie

Introverted Ilhaam is a hopeless romantic waiting for her own love story, but somehow has come to believe tha... Higit pa

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Author's Two Cents 🤷🏾‍♀️
NEW NOVEL - Behest 11:11
SHORT STORY COLLECTION
NEW NOVEL!!! - Chubbiest Of All Time

Chapter 6

636 111 91
Galing kay bigmadebrownie

Oh God! I'm late again. It's 8:55 am and I'm still on my way. It will take another 15 minutes for me to reach office. This is super bad. I hope James is on leave today too. It's not like he's going to say anything. But I feel embarrassed walking in late when he's watching me from his cabin.

I've got the worst spot at office by the way. It's right in the middle of our floor and draws so much of attention. From my boss to the sullen-looking people in Finance to the overly-noisy Sales guys to the pretending-to-work HR guys to even the grim-looking CEO — everyone could spy me from their spots.

I mean, it's not like anyone is that jobless to keep staring at me all day but they will at least notice the number of times I walk in late, isn't it? I really should work on my punctuality.

You know what I don't understand though? I didn't even go to bed late last night. So how did I still manage to get late today?

I mean, after Sameer friend-zoned me yesterday I wasn't really in a mood to have late night chats with him. So I told him I had some work and stopped texting by 7:00 pm.

When I said that of course I was wondering what I'd do without chatting with him because now that I was so used to it my stupid heart was going to expect it. But luckily when I went home Salima and the kids were there.

Salima lives very close-by to our place so whenever my brother-in-law Zafar gets late to come back from work, she comes and stays with us. Her 2 daughters Haya and Caira and her son Iyad are such cuties. Totally adorable. Now I'm not a baby lover. I mean, I don't even want to have one of my own because they're so messy and are too much of a commitment. But these three kids — I love them with all of my heart.

When kids are around, you don't even feel the time passing because of course they have so many different demands and by the time you finish attending to each of them your day will be over! So yeah yesterday especially my niblings were such big help to distract myself.

I spent the whole night reading for them, assisting them to go to the washroom from time to time, and even watching a few of their favorite cartoons with them. My hands were too full so I hardly had any thoughts about Sameer.

So, everything about last night was cool except for the times when the kids kept jumping on my bed, shouting or crying around me. When it comes to noise, I'm like an old grandmother — I just hate it!

But even them screaming was better than what Salima and mom were trying to do. They were pestering me the whole time asking me to pose for pictures like a homely-girl-in-my-best-dress-that-would-both-emphasize-my-figure-and-also-make-me-look-modest. All this trouble to give Nisa aunty's broker guy a printed photo of mine to find a proposal for me. Brown people and their stupid boomer habits!

Why is it that a girl has to pose specifically like that? Why can't they just use an existing picture like a selfie I clicked on Snapchat? I mean, those are the only ones where I look good after all!

However, I did as they said because they both were worried about my age and mom was almost crying about how all the young girls around us got married by 19 or 20 and I was the only one turning into a spinster. Such drama! I'm 25 mom! Not 45!

Anyway, I can't complain because at least times are better now. I remember how when Salima was a young girl she was taken to a studio to click a clear picture to be sent to the brokers.  Imagine that! All the way to the studio where an unknown old cameraman comes and touches your face and hands trying to adjust the way you pose!

Do all this and end up with someone like Zafar. I mean, he's not a bad person. He's very loving and according to Salima and everyone in the family he's very handsome too because, after all, he's fair-skinned, you see. But I always felt Salima could've scored someone better than that. I mean, if I had her looks I wouldn't have settled for a guy who is struggling financially.

Salima may have found love but money has always been a problem. But then again this is very common for any girl born into a middle-class brown family. We don't have a say about the proposals our parents bring us. We just get married off like donkeys whether we like it or not.

It's 9:15 am and as I walk in I see James seated in his cabin and staring at his laptop with a pretty-serious face. Oh my! Is he mad at me for getting late? I better avoid looking his way.

I hurry to my desk when he calls my name. Oh no! Is he going to warn me? So he was after all serious when he sent that text yesterday?

I take a seat. Instead of talking to me, he keeps staring at his laptop. Not even a greeting. He is probably angry.

"Hi how are you?" I initiate the conversation. He looks up and replies "I'm good. How are you?" Okay he sounds normal. But no smile yet.

I'm not actually afraid of James. He's more like a friend than a boss. But he also has a resting bitch face problem just like I do. So sometimes it's hard to judge his mood by his face. Also, when you do something wrong you feel guilty you see. So, that's what's happening here.

"I'm good too. So you wanted to talk to me, huh?" I ask and he says, "Oh yes! Listen, we have to discuss something important." Okay that's it. He's going to warn me.

Before he does that, I quickly say, "I'm sorry. I know I got late again. I will definitely come on time hereafter. You know you don't have to warn me." He laughs. Wow! Okay, not what I expected.

"No, it's not that. It's something else. Although that's pretty important too" says James with a smile. This is getting weirder.

"What is it?" I ask and he replies, "I've hired a new person to work with you. He'd be coming in today. So I'm switching your place." Wait wait wait! This can't be it. So, the new guy Naomi was interviewing yesterday is going to be working with me? I mean, why?

I'm the entire marketing department here. It has always been that. Just me handling all — from promotions to social media marketing to creative designing — I'm after all good at everything! And that life has been perfect. We don't need anyone else.

I try to suppress my feelings but somehow end up saying, "But why? I didn't ask you for an assistant" and James laughs once again."He's not going to be your assistant. You both are going to be working on a new project. There will be a lot of work coming your way so I thought getting another person will be helpful. Don't you like it?" asks James.

What the hell? A new project, a new assistant-like coworker and a new place — all these changes in one day and I didn't have a clue until this moment.

"But you do know that I don't like to work with others, right? I'm more comfortable with myself, James!" I say disappointedly. James shakes his head and says "Come on, Ilhaam! It's high time you learn to do it. Now go. Stop complaining and get yourself comfortable in your new spot."

"Fine!" I say and walk out.

Okay, so my new spot is pretty good. It's in one corner of the floor, so I'd be hidden most of the time. I get a view of everything from here though. People can't pry into my business but I can keep an eye on them — cool.

But I'm still upset about the new guy. I hate having to work closely with people. I generally keep coworkers at a distance because I know the closer they are the closer one gets to insanity.

This is going to be difficult. What if he's more talented than me? What if James and the boomers start liking him more? Maybe I should just resign. Maybe this isn't for me anymore.

Alright, someone new just walked out of James' office room. Fair dude with a babyish face. Must be the new guy. At a distance he doesn't even look like he's in his twenties. Probably a 19-year old school leaver.

Now, ideally as a senior, I should go introduce myself and speak to him first but I'm not going to do it. So, I pretend to look at my laptop and work, praying that he would leave me in peace by not engaging in unnecessary conversation.

But I guess my prayers did not work because I can sense him coming towards me now. He is carrying a book by Robert Kiyosaki with him. Ah self-help book! Our guy is probably a show-off.

I fake smile as he sits next to me in the empty seat that was kept ready for him. "Hi! I'm Saad. You must be Ilhaam" he says. I don't like him already. Call it prejudice or whatever you want. I don't even want to speak to him. He might after all turn out to be a threat to my job.

Anyway, I have no option but to speak because I'm supposed to act like a professional, right? So, I say, "Hi! Yes, I am. You must be the new recruit. Welcome to the team" and get back to my work, but he does not stop.

"So, tell me about your work. Do you like it?" he asks. Of course I like it dumbo. That's why I'm here. And what exactly do you expect me to say about work? Didn't HR or James explain it to you already? God! This one looks like trouble!

"Well, it's marketing and yes, I love it" I say in a rough tone. I didn't mean to use that tone but I'm annoyed now. "I know it's marketing. But what exactly do you do? I want to know that" says the boy.

I try to think of a polite answer as much as possible but somehow end up saying, "Look kid, I can't be answering your nonsense questions. Just observe and learn what I do. Don't question me like police."

Okay, that was super rude. I shouldn't have said that. He looks a little upset. Maybe I should apologize. Before I could speak, he says sorry.

Well, now I feel worse. What am I? A bully? Or worse — am I a boomer that's rude to someone younger than me just because I fear he might replace me? I feel ashamed of myself for what I've done!

After an awkward silence, I finally say, "I'm sorry kid. I just didn't know how to answer your questions" and put on a fake smile. "That's fine. Just don't call me kid though" says Saad.

Woah! Didn't know one could offend boys by calling them kids. I laugh and ask him why he said that for which he replies, "Because I'm 22. If I'm a kid, you're a kid too, that's why."

"Well I'm 25. So technically I'm 3 years elder to you, which makes you a kid to me" I say with a grin. "Just 3 years difference. Don't make it sound that big please" says Saad. Alright, seems like the dumb kid wouldn't stop talking.

So, I try to end the conversation by saying, "Fine bro, not going to call you a kid anymore" and I get back to work when he says, "Don't call me bro either. I don't like it."

I look up and just shake my head. This one is a chatterbox!

———————————————
———————————————
Do you think Ilhaam is just being dramatic or will Saad actually become a threat to her job? 🤨
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below ♥️

Please search for @BIGMADEBROWNIE on Instagram & Facebook and follow me to enjoy short meme-like posts and updates about the story 🥰🙏🏾

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

84.1K 6.2K 56
A Tale of Desi Romance and Arranged Marriage ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Blurb: She doesn't want to be swept off her feet, She...
275K 8.7K 35
Story of a beautiful , intelligent 18 years old girl who was forced to marry a guy, engaged to her sister. " Dear Mom I don't think I would be able...
12.2K 826 28
Parineet Rajeev Bajwa. She doesn't resonate with this name anymore. She can't be married to a guy like him. A pathetic one. What did she do to deserv...
2.6K 103 35
The Mehrotras series: Book 1: Uljhe Dor Book 2: Ulajhte Dil Yeh kahani teen bhaiyon, Mehrotra pariwar ke vaaris Kunal, Anshuman aur Veer ki hai. Kuna...