WHO? | The Alpha (Book One)

By MalyTenTen

[Complete] [Editing] Georgina, an inquisitive incoming college student, must seek answers to understand why... More

Author's Note
Prologue
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
THANK YOU!
Author's Note
Hi!

VII

7K 285 70
By MalyTenTen

Jared

"What are you doing here? I can take care of myself"

My lips part. I was amused by the girl in front of me.

Right. That is why I saw you unconscious at your front door.

"Babysitting," I reply with a serious face. I rake my hair with my fingers. "It's your Aunt's request."

"Mm... strange," she says and looks out the window. My bedroom window is visible from here. "I don't think she'll let a stranger take care of me."

"Well," he says and takes a sip of his coffee. "She just did," I shrug. "That's why I'm here. You think I'll volunteer to take care of a stubborn kid like you?"

"I'm not a kid," she responds and finishes her coffee. I move my gaze from the window to the girl in front of me. Her green eyes scan every part of me, from my feet slowly up to my face. Her eyes widen when they met mine. She clears her throat and looks away.

"You didn't go back to your house?" she asks and clears her throat.

"No, I'm worried that you might do something stupid while I'm asleep at my house."

She rolls her eyes.

"Where did you sleep?"

"Downstairs," he stares at me. "At the couch," he emphasizes the last word.

She raises an eyebrow and asks, "Really?"

I nod.

"Yeah, really. Where do you expect me to sleep?" I flash a teasing smile.

She's so transparent, too obvious that she's interested in me.

But you're not part of my plan.

"Aren't you hungry?" I frown. She looks at me. "Geez, it's already 10 in the morning. You've slept more than 12 hours. I cooked, now eat—"

"Thanks," she says. She flashes a bright smile at me.

My lips part. My thoughts are cut off as if something blocks them from getting out of my mouth.

"Yeah, you're welcome but the food is downstairs. Thanking me won't make your stomach full."

"Wow!!!" she skips to the dining area. A huge smile is plastered on her face as she sits at the dining table. "You cooked all of these?"

"Yes," I say and serve her some food. "Eat," I command. "You need to gain all of your strength. By the way, Do not be too happy. All of the ingredients were from your fridge."

"Nah, I don't mind. As long as it tastes good."

I sit down at the opposite side of the table and start eating.

"Wow, this is awesome."

"I never thought that you are a great cook. The flavor is very savory!" she exclaims while looking at me. She covers her mouth full of food.

"Mmm... delicious. Wow," she says while chewing.

"Shhh...shut up and finish your breakfast," I say.

"I don't think I have this type of meat in my fridge," she frowns while looking at the carbonara with my authentic Italian ingredients.

I remember how I rush out of her kitchen and run into my apartment to get that Guanciale.

"Maybe you don't remember," I say and clear my throat.

I drink a glass of cold water and stand up.

"Where are you going?" she asks and jerks her head up.

"I'll go back to my place now."

"Why?" She raises her eyebrows and stares at me with her clueless gaze.

"I'll take a shower. Besides, I think you're fine now. I don't think you need me anymore. I can go back to my normal life."

"Oh," she replies while nodding, "Right." She sighs. "Okay," she says and gives me a weak smile. "Thank you."

Warm water meets my bare chest.

I squeeze my eyes shut as if I can erase George's face in my mind if I do that.

"Don't leave me."

Sigh.

My right arm smashes the tiled wall of the bathroom. I look up and face the water falling out of the shower. Both of my hands rake the strands of my wet blond hair.

"Damn it. Why did I say that I won't?" I mutter through my gritted teeth. I firmly close my eyes when I remember how I became weak because of her, how I got worried about her.

I rushed out of my apartment and hurriedly entered George's house.

"Take care always." I saw the guy let go and walk away. Maybe he's going home.

"I thought they broke up?" I murmured. "Isn't he the same guy?" I took a sip of coffee, "Ah, Nevermind."

I was walking my way back home after taking a walk. My original plan is to take a short stroll around this new place but I saw a playground. It took me a few minutes because I'm rethinking my life choices.

I have to focus on my goal.

My gaze landed on my neighbor's house.

George.

I turn left to my house. My eyebrows furrowed when I saw a light passing out of George's slightly opened doors.

I don't think she'll let her front door open.

I shifted my direction towards her house. My mind get even more confused when I saw a pair of legs peeking out of the window. My feet increased their pace.

"George," I breathed out.

"George, wake up." I tapped her chin. "George." My fingers rested beneath her jawline to check her pulse. I carried her upstairs. "What happened to you?" I ask as if she could reply.

I almost trip from the clothes in her room.

"Dammit," I grunt.

George was convulsing. Her skin was hot. Her body shook aggressively. I laid her down on her bed. I tied her hair up using my wristband. I went downstairs and looked for a towel. I rushed to her kitchen to get a basin of warm water.

"You got a high fever," I said while dampening the brunette's forehead.

"George!" the voice of the landlady beamed in the apartment.

"Fuck," I cursed under my breath.

I walk downstairs.

"Oh?" Her eyes went wide. Her brows furrowed.

"Where is George?" she ran upstairs.

"She is asleep," I followed the landlady. "I saw her unconscious at her front door. I immediately carried her here to her room. She has a high fever."

"Oh no," she whispers after touching her niece's skin.

"How am I going to leave you for a business trip now?" she watched her niece.

The landlady changed George's clothes a while ago. She stood beside the study table on the right side of the bed and watched George's sleeping frame. I sat on the left side of the bed.

"She's a strong girl," the landlady said out of the blue and heaved a sigh. "I witnessed her grow up," she paused, "Though her parents were not together and were not with her, she became a great and strong girl. She lived independently." She looked at George and said, "I am the one who took care of her."

I look at George. She has thick but neat eyebrows. Her closed eyelids and long lashes were covering those green eyes. She has a pointed nose and thin plump lips. I watch her sleep peacefully.

"Thank you, Jared," said the landlady.

George shifted her weight and faced my direction.

"I have a business trip. I'll be gone for two weeks. Can you do me a favor?"

I just stared at her.

"Can you take care of my niece?" she paused, "Well, more like babysitting," she smiled.

"You don't have to stay here," she says and aggressively waves her hand.

I chuckled, "Yeah, sure."

Just for this time. I remind myself.

Do not get distracted.

"I mean just check if she's alright? You don't have to spend too much of your time. She doesn't like that either. Just check how she is."

"Alright," I say.

She took a deep breath, "I'm going. Again, thank you so much. I'll cook you dinner in return."

I nodded in response.

She walked out and closed the bedroom door. The landlady left her keys in a hurry. I took the keys and put them in my pocket.

I took a deep breath. "This is not part of my plan," I muttered. Firmly, I closed my eyes.

It's you again.

I shifted my gaze back to George. Her eyebrows were knitted together. Her hands were shaking. I clicked my tongue. I sat beside her and held her hand.

I know the landlady told me that I can leave this girl.

"But how can I do that," I whispered as I stared at the ceiling while lying in the very corner of her bed.

My gaze lands on her face. Her eyes fluttered open. The swirling colors of green and brown danced on the irises of her eyes as she stared into mine. She swallowed hard. Her hand tightly held my hands.

"George?"

"Don't leave me," she whispered softly. "Please."

I held her hand tighter and said, "I won't."

Her eyes closed slowly. The strands of her hair brushed on my neck as her head fell on my chest. Her hand loosened from my grip. I rested my back beside her and watched her sleeping.

What's happening to her?

I slowly opened my eyes. I said I won't sleep but I fell asleep beside the brunette. My gaze shifted to George's face near mine. I felt her caramel arms around my waist. Her breath fanned my neck. I felt her heavy breaths. I tried to look away, but she pulled me closer and snuggled even more.

"George, why are you doing this to me?" I breathe out and smell her sweet scent.

Sigh.

Skin to skin...

Fabric to fabric...

I can feel almost every inch of her.

"Mmm..." a little sound escapes her lips. I felt her arms loosened.

"Enough with this while I am still sane," I whispered.

I moved away and stood up. I walked out of the room. My gaze landed on her before I closed the bedroom door. I went downstairs and got a glass of water. It was still dark outside. The peaceful night helped me to clear my head.

"Ha," I exhaled. "What am I doing right now?"

I went upstairs. My feet froze halfway from taking another step. "I think," I paused and looked around. My gaze landed on the couch. "I should sleep on the couch," I murmured.

"I should," I muttered while walking downstairs. "It is safe here."

* * *

:>

How's the story so far?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 718 29
Life cannot treat Alexia Grey any better. She has amazing family and friends and gets perfect scores. She is destined for great things. She has envis...
65.8K 3.8K 88
Laurel is lonely. Things haven't been easy since she was forced to swiftly change jobs and move to a whole new city and start her life over. She is s...
18.4K 1.5K 69
A college girl in her last year was preparing her way to adulthood. She tried to plan, but she always ended up planed nothing. She had no plan but...
3.9K 1.1K 85
Β© 2018 Written by A. E. F. All Rights Reserved. READ THIS NOVEL SECOND, OR STAND ALONE. Caoilainn has loved him since they were eight years old. Bu...