WHO? | The Alpha (Book One)

By MalyTenTen

[Complete] [Editing] Georgina, an inquisitive incoming college student, must seek answers to understand why... More

Author's Note
Prologue
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
THANK YOU!
Author's Note
Hi!

VIII

7K 290 76
By MalyTenTen

George

"I don't think I have to," I answer while putting some pasta on his plate.

Two days passed, and I get better. Jared suggests that I should go in for a check-up. He sits at the opposite side of the table and watches what I'm doing.

"Well," he shrugs. "It's still up to you. I'm just suggesting."

"Here," I hand him the plate.

"I should be the one doing this. I'm the babysitter here."

He complains, but he eats the carbonara I cooked. We eat silently for a moment when my phone rings.

"Hm..." he pauses and stares at his plate. His fork pause halfway to twirling the pasta.

"Why?" I ask.

I taste my food. "I don't have authentic Italian ingredients. Yours doesn't taste like this. How did you do that?"

I watch him. He sniffs the food before eating.

"Not bad," he says. "Just don't call this carbonara."

"What is that supposed to make me feel?" I roll my eyes.

A vibration on the table interrupts our bickering. The two of us stare at my phone. 

'Unregistered number.'

"Excuse me," I say and grab my phone.

I stand up before answering the call. "Hello?"

"Where are you?"

I frown, "Who is this?"

"Awww...you deleted my number?"

My eyes widen, realizing who it is. "Drew? Oh, I'm–hi. Why did you call?"

Jared looks at me and sits up straight, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Where are you?"

"I'm at my apartment. Why?"

"Okay. Let's meet," he ends the call.

"Why?" I whisper in confusion.

I hurriedly finish my food and clean the table.

"You're in a hurry?" Jared asks. He crosses his legs. "Is that your boyfriend?" he asks monotonously.

I didn't bother to answer him. Instead, I rushed upstairs to take a shower, deep in thought about why on earth Drew would come here.

Why am I excited?

I stop halfway through my steps. "Why am I excited?" I bite the inside of my cheek.

I take a shower quite faster than my regular bath. I wear a pair of distressed jeans and a gray cropped sweater. My green gaze watches the strands of my hair dance through the warm air of the hairdryer.

"Wait, Georgina," I move the hairdryer away from my hair. "You didn't even know why he wanted to see you." I point the hairdryer at my reflection. "What? Are you guys back together?"

I stare at my reflection for a while.

"We're...friends," I nod and convince myself. "I'm just being kind."

Should I put on some makeup?

"Naaahhh...you're just friends, right? Do you have to look good in front of your friends?" I brush my hair.

"Georgina! Someone's calling," Jared yells outside.

I open the door. Jared hands me my phone.

"Yeah?" I answer the call.

"On my way."

The call ends.

I finished fixing myself. I almost stumble on my feet in a hurry. My emerald gaze lands on Jared, who sits on the couch.

"Where are you going?" he asks seriously with his cold blue eyes.

"I don't know either."

Jared stares at me before saying, "Okay."

"What?"

He stands up and says, "Okay."

"Aren't you going to stop me? You said you are like my father right now. Even though you're in your just in your 20s."

"How old are you?"

"Turning 18," I reply and tuck some strands of my hair at the back of my ear.

"You are turning into an adult. You should know what to do." He glances at me before walking to the kitchen.

"Oh, wait." He peeks outside of the kitchen and stares at me. "Don't do something stupid. Go home without any scratches or bruises. You are not allowed to faint while you're with him. You understand?" he warns and enters the kitchen like he owns the house. "It's hard to find an apartment as nice as yours these days."

"That's it?" I murmur.

"What?" he speaks when he noticed I am still standing in the living area. "Do you want me to stop you?"

My mouth gapes.

"No. Not at all," I say and shake my head.

"Right," he nods. " You said you can take care of yourself. Remember?"

The knocks on the wooden door interrupt our little argument. I turn my back to him and check who is in my front.

"Hi," Drew's wide smile greets me as soon as I open the door.

I nervously step outside. That's when I ask myself, why am I letting Andrew in my life again? 

Drew opens the door of his car for me. I enter the car and sit on the shotgun seat. My gaze lands on Jared standing outside while I'm putting on the seatbelt. Drew gets in the driver's seat and starts driving. He watches us leave.

"Where are we going?"

"Let's visit Jeremy. He can't believe that we're, you know, talking to each other. He said I'm crazy."

Oh. That's the reason.

"What if Jeremy doesn't want to see me?"

"That's the reason why I'm doing this. I want our friendship back. I don't want awkwardness between us or between you and Jeremy. Yes, I'm putting myself in the friend zone. Sounds a bit weird, I know."

I slowly nod and look outside the window. The view of kids playing at the playground brushed off the questions in my head. The playground where Emy and I used to play when we were kids. I firmly close my eyes.

Emy.

I miss you.

"I thought he's your neighbor?" Drew frowns.

"Huh?" I ask. Sharply, I turn my face at him.

"That blond guy, what is he doing in your apartment?"

"I...I asked for help."

He clenches his jaw before sighing.

"Okay," he nods. "I forgot. I'm not your boyfriend anymore," an awkward laugh escapes his mouth.

My mouth gapes. Something in my heart hurts after hearing those words from him. I know I shouldn't be feeling this, but wounds don't heal quickly.

"I wonder why Aunt Liz let a stranger take care of you," Andrew says in a stern voice. "And most importantly, you are letting a stranger in your house."

"I also thought of that," I say. "But I remembered we were once strangers before as well," I say and look at him.

Jared

I am still here at George's house, watching television. I chuckle as I remember the first time I did this here.

"Hey, this is not your house! " George yelled.

"I'm your babysitter. I am like your father right now."

Unfortunately, she turned the TV off with the remote control.

"Hey, respect," I said.

"This is my house."

"I know that. Now, give me that," I glared at her.

"No!" She ran upstairs.

I stood up and pressed the power button.

"Idiot."

She hurriedly went downstairs.

"Don't turn it off," I said coldly.

"Wait, wait. Is that-Is that," she walked near me.

"Move, move, move." She motioned me to move over while looking at the screen.

I stood up and crossed my arms over my chest. She excitedly sat down. She put down the remote beside her. I grabbed it and turned the TV off.

"Hey!" she glared at me.

"Hey, this is not your house!" I said and mimicked her whining voice.

"I don't sound like that."

"You do."

"Give me that."

She stood on tiptoe and tried to get it from me. Brows furrowed. Lips pouted.

A buzzing sound at the coffee table interrupts my thoughts. Glancing at the phone, I already knew who it was. My phone stops vibrating as I ignore the damn call.

"Damn. Can you not track me at least once? I had enough," I mutter under my breath.

The same phone number calls, which makes my phone vibrates again. I firmly close my eyes and touch the bridge of my nose. My free hand reaches for my phone on the coffee table while my right hand tightens its grip on the coffee cup as I take a sip.

"Hello?" I answer half groaning, as soon as I swipe the answer button.

"Your Highness!" A cheerful male voice greets me. "Have you forgotten the mission?"

"Of course not."

"Then why are you playing with a lovely lady? The kingdom is–"

"I haven't found him yet, Joaquin."

"Is she beautiful?"

I let out a low grumble.

"Do your task, or your father will punish you. You know the order–"

I quickly end the call.

"I'm doing my job, Joaquin," I grunt and stare outside the window.

I take a sip from my coffee.

"And, Yes. She is beautiful," I whisper.

* * *

:>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 528 40
Have you ever wondered why you share such a deep connection with a particular person? What if that person were your soulmate? Lia Russo sees Matthew...
66 20 27
Growing up for Naomi Warner was nothing less than a nightmare. She was bullied by her peers, and her home life wasn't always easy. On top of that, Na...
157K 9K 61
A girl, haunted by her past was living in solitude. A man, running from his own demons. When their paths collide, the girl wants to run, but the guy...
261 22 18
Moving to a new city and school is never easy. Natalia wants to keep her head down and finish out her last semester without issues. That is, of cours...