Chasing Mr. Carlton ( The sto...

By egeecotton

NOTE: I don't have a cover for this story yet- anyone wanna take a whack at it? Bobby Darling had her eyes on... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
One Summer...
2
3
4
5
End

Part 51

145 11 0
By egeecotton

"Sorry, Michael, but I really don't dance." Bobby said after a little less than a minute of awkwardly staring at him as he tried to make her dance with him.

She'd been so surprised when he pulled her out to the dance floor that she didn't react immediately, then she wasn't sure how to pull away without everyone staring at them. So, she maneuvered them off to the side where it would be less obvious when she stopped and pulled away.

"Oh come on..." He said, reaching to pull her back but she shook her head.

"No, really. I don't feel comfortable dancing." She said... except with Matt.

She looked around, thinking he must be here by now. She wanted to see him, needed to talk to him. He'd really bought the house. He'd committed to buying that house. He had been joking when he said it... right? She had so many thoughts racing through her mind. Still she could hear the words coming out of his mouth... he hadn't needed to say them.

I bought the house for you.

He must be so convinced of what he felt for her. Bobby shook her head. Maybe he was never going to give up. Maybe Matt was telling the truth when he said he was going to be waiting for her forever.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked, snapping Bobby out of her thoughts.  Her eyes fluttered and she turned to look at him, remembering suddenly where she was.

"Yeah, It's been a long week." She said, putting a hand on her chest and shaking her head.  "I'm going to go grab a drink."

"Champagne?" He asked, "I can go get it for you." He searched the room for a waiter.

"No, I don't drink." She said, "I'll just go get something myself."

Michael looked in direction of the bar in the back where there was someone mixing drinks.

"I'll come with you." He said, making Bobby frown inwardly. What was the deal with this guy? Couldn't he take a hint? Was she being too subtle? Bobby had never been a master of subtlety, she usually took the direct route and so she wondered why she didn't just tell this guy to bug off.

Still, she said nothing and allowed him to walk with her towards the bar in the back.

"What'll it be?" He asked, signaling for the waiter.

"Just water." She said to the bartender directly who handed her a bottle. "Thanks."

"You really don't like letting anyone help, do you?" He asked with a raised brow.

"Not if there's no need for help." She said, looking around the room.

"It certainly gives me a good excuse to be around you." He said, making her look up at him. No, Bobby wasn't good at subtlety. She would rather be direct.

"Michael..." She began, prepared to tell him she wasn't interested in his advances but then suddenly realizing how many people were within hearing.

"Yes?" He asked, waiting.

"Come with me." She said, moving towards the exit without waiting for him to reply. Michael watched her move through the crowd and then looked down at the ground. There was something shiny, small but pretty... it was a bracelet. He'd seen it fall from the tiny bag she'd been holding all night, he'd seen her open the bag and look at something more than once. B, a pretty and expensive looking B.

"Michael." He heard Bobby call out to him from where she stood by the large doorway. He slipped the bracelet into his pocket and moved quickly towards her.

"Come on." She said, moving out of the room and into one of the darker halls. "Okay... better."

"Why Roberta Darling, if you wanted to get me alone, all you had to do was ask." Michael said with a grin, making Bobby groan.

"No, Michael. This is why I wanted to talk to you, I'm sorry but I'm not-" She began to say but Michael suddenly reached out and pressed his lips down on hers...

... and She immediately pulled away, landing a blow on his face as hard as she could.

"FUCK." He said, bringing his hand over his face. Bobby's eyes widened and she cradled her hand.

"FUCK." She said, trying hard to keep her voice down. Punching someone certainly hurt more than she thought it would.

"What the hell did you do that for?" Michael asked.

"What the hell made you think it was okay to kiss me?" She asked.

"You pulled me aside to a quiet, secluded hall." He said.

"Yes, so less people would hear us talk." She said, wincing as she touched her hand. "To save you the embarrassment of getting rejected in public."

Michael looked up at her.

"Rejected?" He asked after several minutes. Bobby nodded.

"Fuck." She whispered to herself, her hand throbbing. " Yes. Michael, I'm not interested."

"How do you know? Give it time." He said, checking his hand to see if there was blood.

"I know. I don't need time, I know. Your attention makes me uncomfortable. I need you to keep it professional." She said. He stared at her, looking a little bit pathetic. She almost felt sorry for him but she wasn't sorry. She wasn't sorry at all. She had a right to tell him his behavior made her uncomfortable and that wasn't something to be sorry over. She wasn't sorry for punching him either- maybe a little- but she hadn't given him any indication that she would welcome a kiss from him. She opened her mouth to say something else but he quickly turned on his heel, storming out.

"Yikes."

She turned and found herself staring at Nick, who was now moving out of the shadows and towards her slowly.

"Fuck, Nick. How much did you hear? That was a private conversation." She said, as he reached out towards her hand.

"Heard everything, but I was more intrigued by what I saw." He said, noticing how her hand was already a little bit purple. "Come on, let's get some ice on this."

He led her down he hall without really saying much, gently to hold her arm and not her hand. She was a very small woman and the way she swung with full force showed just how angry she was. .

"Here." He said, pulling out a cold pack from the freezer. Bobby looked around the kitchen, it was buzzing with staff moving in and out at the moment and she thought about how much better she liked it when it was just the family... like on Christmas.  It seemed like years ago now.

"You okay?" He asked and she shrugged.

"I'm not sure. I just punched the new CFO in the face at a company party." She said, biting her lip and Nick nodded.

"Bold move but... he deserved it." Nick said, making her look at him. "Don't be too surprised, I don't really like the guy. I don't know, there's something about him."

"That doesn't matter, it's no excuse to punch him." She said.

"Don't worry about it. He's an executive who has been flirting and then kissed an employee. He won't cause trouble unless he wants to be fired for sexual harassments." Nick said. "Which we CAN talk to Emma about."

"No, it's fine. I hadn't made myself clear to him before. Now he knows, I'm sure he'll stop." Bobby said.

"You sure have a habit of getting yourself into trouble." He said, "But you're good at getting yourself out."

"I had to learn early." She said with a  sigh, thinking about Ruth for the millionth time that day.

"I know this isn't any of my business but I think you should talk to Matt." Nick said, "He's going crazy over you and I know you feel the same."

Bobby didn't say anything, she just held the cold pack over her hand quietly.

"I'm just trying to focus on finding my sister." She said, "I don't have a lot of time for anything else."

"I know, Matt knows too. That's why he hired a PI." Nick said. Bobby was still, then she turned slowly.

"He did what?" She asked.

"He hired a private investigator to find your sister." Nick said.

"Why would he do that?" She asked.

"Who knows? Maybe he's one of those eccentric people who want the person they love to be happy." Nick said. Bobby stared at him for a moment, everything slowly coming together.  She had to find Matt, she had to tell him she was sorry.  Matt had done so much for her... she should be by his side now, when he needed her most.

She had to tell him that she didn't care if things were hard, it was worth it for her as long as she was with him.

"I have to go." She said, putting the cold pack on the counter and rushing out of the room.

----

"Champagne? Are you serious?" Matt asked, finding Lisa looking at the glass in her hand. She had gone out to the balcony for air, finding the entire week had been much too exhausting.

She'd picked up the glass more out of habit than anything, had only given it a small sip before she realized how dumb that was and now was only carrying it around for appearances.

"Don't worry, I'm not really drinking." She said with a sigh, still not turning to look at him. She looked down at herself. None of the dresses she owned had fit her, not a single one. There was no way to hide it. Soon, she'd have to start telling people she was pregnant.

It was a beautiful feeling, she was going to be a mother and that was the most important thing... she had to be honest with Matt. She was going to be the best person she could possibly be, there was no way she would start her life as a mother with lies.  Just yesterday she'd know for sure- this was not Matt's baby. She was scared to tell him, aware she would lose him forever but she had to be brave.

"Why aren't you inside?" He asked. Lisa watched him for a second. This was not the place to tell him, not the place to have this conversation. 

"I needed some quiet." She said honestly. "Matt, Do you think you can come over this weekend? I have some things to go over with you."

She tried to be as casual as possible about it, otherwise he would demand to know what she had to say right now.

"Sure, actually. I wanted to talk to you." Matt said, moving closer to her. She raised her brow.

"Yes?" She asked, surprised when he grabbed her hand and began to stroke it with his thumb.

Matt was looking for the words. He'd spent the whole night thinking about what he saw and realizing that he'd lost her. Bobby would move on, maybe with Michael, maybe not but eventually, she'd move on. Then he saw Lisa, standing out here, looking so sad. He realized the best thing he could do was dedicate himself to his family.

"I was thinking about us." He said, making her open her eyes wide. Wait... what was Matt going to do? She searched her mind frantically, trying to find the words but before she could speak, tell him anything, he leaned in and kissed her lips lightly. She stared at him for a few seconds after.

It was the sound of something hitting the ground that made them both turn. It was her, Bobby. She stood there, the moonlight revealing the surprise in her face, the tears that had begun to form in her eyes as she stood very still, completely unconcerned about the smashed cell phone at her feet. Lisa turned to Matt, noticing how he was staring at Bobby. He'd completely forgotten about Lisa.

Bobby moved quickly, she didn't say anything, she only took quick strides towards the steps that led down from the terrace onto the actual garden. Lisa opened her mouth to speak in confusion but when she looked back to Matt, he was gone.

No, he was following Bobby.

"Bobby." He said, chasing after her as she picked up her pace. Lisa slowly walked along the balustrade, everything finally coming together as she watched Matt try to reach Bobby.

"Stop, Matt. Just stop following me." Bobby said, turning to look at Matt. Matt was startled, she was crying. Those were real tears flowing down her face and they broke his heart. He'd broken her heart.

"Bobby, listen... I..." He began and she nodded.

"You did exactly what I told you to. Good, I'm glad you finally listened." She said, crossing her arms and lifting her chin proudly.

"Only because you wouldn't stop pushing me away." Matt said. "Bobby, all I want is to be with you." He moved towards her but she shook her head.

"And I just want to be free of you." She said, angry and hurt before turning to walk off.

"Bobby." she heard him call after her as she made it around the house. She didn't stop... that was until she saw her. Bobby slowed her paced, wiping the tears from her eyes as if unsure of what she saw. She was standing shyly, looking so young and confused.

"Bobby." She said softly, relief sweeping over her face.

"Ruth?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.7K 326 34
Matilda Huston is a 25 years old woman with a painful past, living alone and escaping from her abusive past. She moved to Canada a few months back an...
136K 4K 19
❝That's the thing about love. It isn't going to be easy, it isn't going to be smooth, but it's going to be worth it. Because sometimes you have to ta...
1.1K 235 45
Honourly bound❤ "I laid back on the couch and kept looking at the ceiling. My God, I kept seeing him. My mind just kept playing memories of him and I...
115 6 5
EXCERPT "Darling. Darling. Darling. British men are always using words like 'darling', 'love', 'sweetheart'; it's culture, tradition - it really mean...