WHO? | The Alpha (Book One)

By MalyTenTen

[Complete] [Editing] Georgina, an inquisitive incoming college student, must seek answers to understand why... More

Author's Note
Prologue
I
II
III
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
THANK YOU!
Author's Note
Hi!

IV

10.7K 386 67
By MalyTenTen

George

"It's been a while, Emerald," I smile and sit in front of her.

"I'm doing good," I say. My fingers touch the newly trimmed grass.

The warm afternoon wind blows. The strands of my hair sway together with the direction of the wind. Calmly, I close my eyes and surrender myself in peace.

"I'm the school valedictorian, not to brag, though. That's for you, Emy," I smile as if she can still see me.

I put a basket of flowers on her gravestone.

"I know that it was your dream. I kinda stole it from you," I chuckle.

"I miss you so much. I brought you flowers, white roses." I touch the roses that are beautifully arranged in the basket.

"It's your favo–"

"Who is she?" someone coldly speaks beside me.

What the–

My head sharply move to the male voice I heard.

Jared.

"Why are you here?" I ask in annoyance. I watch him sit in front of me, on the opposite side of Emy's gravestone.

"Nothing. I just saw you as I passed by. I'm a bit bored. So... Now, I'm here," he clears his throat and licks the bottom of his thin lips.

"I need a quiet place to think. I'm looking for a park. Instead, I found this cemetery–" he says and looks away, "I think I'm lost," he mumbles and looks around the cemetery.

I ignore him and look at Emy's name on the cold stone.

"Keep safe there, Emy."

The wind blows again. I close my eyes. I inhale and exhale slowly. The smell of the grass lingers on my nose. I think of Emy's sweet smile.

"George, you should study hard."

"George, that's so rude!"

"George, enough with pasta!"

"Hey, listen to this song!"

"I love you!"

"Take care."

"George!"

I open my eyes. Jared's gaze met mine. He stares at me as if he's memorizing every part of my face. There's a hint of lonesome in his eyes.

"What?" I ask and raise an eyebrow.

He shakes his head and sighs. He looks away and pulls a coffee lollipop out of the front pocket of his black sweatpants.

"E-me-rald A-le-xia," he tilts his head and reads the name out loud.

"Oh?" he exclaims, "It's her birthday today?" He opens the lollipop.

"Yeah," I reply without glancing at him. My fingers fidget at the grass.

He puts the lollipop in his mouth.

"June 11," he says out of the blue. "It's almost one week since I moved here."

I stand up. "And you still lose your way back," I look at him

He looks at me as well. His sapphire gaze falls a bit lower.

I thought he was looking at my chest. So I ask, "Why are you looking–" I'm about to cover it when he suddenly speaks.

"'She's best'? What does that even mean?" he asks. His eyebrows furrow. He stares at my black statement shirt, like a code he has to decipher.

The memory of Emy comes back in my mind remembering the exact reaction I did once I received this t-shirt.

"She's best?" I asked her and frowned. "What does this mean?"

"Yes, And mine is 'My friend'!" Emy answered. Her brown eyes were full of enthusiasm.

"Yours sounds good. Mine sucks," I said, looking at my oversized black tee tucked in distressed mom jeans.

"She's best," I muttered.

"Stop complaining," she said while tying the hem of her white shirt.

"So we should stick with this position when we wear this. If we switch places, it will be 'my She's friend best'," I said to her.

She didn't answer. She was busy tying the hem of her top.

"Is this the most creative friendship shirt that came into your mind?" I asked, looking on our way to the mall.

"Come on! Can you please shut your mouth and cooperate?" she asked while pouting.

"Everyone is looking at us," I said through gritted teeth.

"I know!" she said happily. "Because we're pretty," she flipped her bob-cut hair and walked like she owns the sidewalk.

I brush off my thoughts and look at Emy's name. I put a box of chocolates beside the white roses.

"Happy birthday Emy," I say. I quickly blink my eyes to hold back my tears and walk away.

"Why did you leave the box there? Do you think her grave will eat those?" I hear Jared seriously asks.

My lip gapes as I furrow my eyebrows.

Silence.

"Where are you going?" he asks again.

"Home," I say in a stern voice. I didn't bother to glance back.

"Bye, Emy," I hear him say. He speeds up his pace.

"Why did you say goodbye to her? Do you think she can hear you?" I scoff.

"Aww, look who's talking as if she didn't talk to that cold stone a while ago."

Why are you following me? Ugh!

"Georgina."

"What!?" I ask in an annoyed tone. I heard him jog, so I took giant steps.

"Haven't I told you? I am lost," he breathes out.

"I clearly heard you, okay?"

He walks beside me. The lollipop is still in his mouth. We walk in silence.

Err... I'm hungry.

We pass by a bakeshop. The smell of the chocolate and the freshly baked cake made me hungry even more. I haven't eaten anything aside from drinking a mug of hot choco.

"Those cakes," I mutter.

"Huh?" he looks at me. "What did you say?"

"O-oh, nothing."

The smell of the mozzarella made my mouth water. I look at the shop and see a Pizza Parlor.

That's it! I'm going to eat.

My steps slow down. Jared didn't notice that I'm not beside him anymore. I decided to enter the Pizza Parlor.

"I think I'm lost."

I stop in front of the shop when I remember him saying those words.

"Nah, he'll find his way back."

Right?

The employees greet me with a bright smile plastered on their faces. They wear a blue-and-white striped tee. The men wear a pair of black slacks, and the women wear a black fitted skirt. They have a beret hat on their head and a red handkerchief-like ribbon around their neck.

I ring the bell on the counter.

A petite redhead girl greets me with a bright smile across her lips. Her clothes are similar to the other female employees. Except, she wears a black apron, where her name tag is pinned.

'Hi, I'm Leslie!'

"Uh...Can I have one spaghetti and pepperoni, please?"

"And a black coffee as well," a male voice says.

I jerk my head to the side and see Jared in front of me.

"Are you with her, Sir–"

"No–" I glare at him.

"Yes," he cuts our words before we could even finish.

She nods as she writes on a small notepad. "Dine in?" she asks.

I shake my head, "No, to go."

"Name?" she says and tears the paper off the notepad.

"George."

"One spaghetti and pepperoni, to go!" she yells in the kitchen. Leslie glances back at me. She says, "Please wait for your order," and smiles at me. "I'll be making your coffee, Sir."

I rest at the nearest chair. I look around. Jared follows and sits in front of me. He crosses his arms on his chest and leans back. I lean forward and rest my chin on the palm of my hands.

"The place looks nice," I say while looking around.

"It looks old," he says while roaming his gaze. "And dusty."

I glare at him.

"Thank you for ruining every little thing I enjoy," I roll my eyes

"George!"

I hear my name being called and a ringing sound of the bell follows. I go to the counter. Leslie hands me my order.

"Thank you."

"I'll pay," Jared says and pulls his wallet out of the back pocket of his jeans.

I leave him and walk out of the place.

I don't know why but I'm annoyed.

He's getting on my nerves.

I don't want to eat anymore.

While looking around, two kids riding on their skateboards approach my direction as soon as I turn around. One of them bumps into me, which causes me to lose my balance and fall on my back.

"What the f-"

I look at Jared standing in the restaurant.

"Jared!" I yell as if he can run out of that place quickly.

I hear a loud honk and see a white car arriving. I close my eyes.

Oh, God. Please, help.

* * *

:>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.8K 3.8K 88
Laurel is lonely. Things haven't been easy since she was forced to swiftly change jobs and move to a whole new city and start her life over. She is s...
261 22 18
Moving to a new city and school is never easy. Natalia wants to keep her head down and finish out her last semester without issues. That is, of cours...
66 20 27
Growing up for Naomi Warner was nothing less than a nightmare. She was bullied by her peers, and her home life wasn't always easy. On top of that, Na...
7.1K 385 32
~Lesbian romance & Mature language~ *Second book in The Haven Series* *Cannot be read as a stand-alone book* Here we are five years later, fighting f...