Untitled, 2018

By writtenlegacy

Not your average romance. In which a chance meeting changes everything for a disillusioned star and a spunky... More

Prelude: Stasis
Chapter 1: Goatee Man
Chapter 2: Customs
Chapter 3: Snapback
Chapter 4: 5Ever
Chapter 5: See-Through
Chapter 6: Sandalous
Chapter 7: Encore!
Chapter 8: Wanna Pee Alone
Chapter 9: Jimin's Day Out
Chapter 10: Glued to the Door
Chapter 11: Out of Character
Chapter 12: Favorite
Chapter 13: Blend In
Chapter 14: Square One
Chapter 15: What Would I Do Without You
Chapter 16: Food Fight
Chapter 17: Clearance
Chapter 18: Wrong Date
Chapter 19: Lost and Lost
Chapter 20: Airdrop
Chapter 21: Calm Before
Chapter 22: Soup
Chapter 23: Heighten
Chapter 24: Wanna Forget
Chapter 25: Framing
Chapter 26: Wrong Time, Wrong Place
Chapter 27: Mission Impossible
Part 28: The Last Place You'd Look
Part 29: In and Out of Deep Doo-doo
Part 30: Fired
Interlude: Mixin It Up
Chapter 31: Meet the Boys
Chapter 32: KaraoCrazy
Chapter 33: More Than A Fan
Chapter 34: You're Not Just Anyone
Chapter 35: Moody
Chapter 36: You Don't Know Me
Chapter 37: Principles
Chapter 38: MakeUp
Chapter 39: Gunho and Jihun
Chapter 40: Sabotage
Chapter 41: Lunch Date
Chapter 42: Photoshoot
Chapter 43: Your Pick
Chapter 44: How Could I Be Mad?
Chapter 45: Gunho's Revelation
Chapter 46: Part of the Crew
Chapter 47: What Feels Right
Chapter 48: Not That Simple
Chapter 49: Curveball
Chapter 50: So Suddenly
Chapter 51: Out of the Loop
Chapter 52: Four Strikes
Chapter 53: Just Talk
Chapter 54: The Entire Damn Industry
Chapter 55: White Knight
Chapter 56: Inaction
Chapter 57: My Business
Chapter 58: A Night of Secrets Revealed
Chapter 59: Better Than Okay
Chapter 60: Cut Off
Chapter 61: Moonlight
Chapter 62: So Much in So Little Time
Chapter 63: Fever Dream
Chapter 64: Realistic
Chapter 65: Ill-Timed Disaster
Chapter 66: Our Many Obligations
Chapter 67: In Our Hands
Chapter 68: The Hardest Choices We Make
Chapter 69: Unlikely Allies
Chapter 70: What Really Happened
Chapter 71: Why I Hate Mondays
Chapter 72: Backfire and Fire Back
Chapter 74: Encore, Where We Began
Chapter 75: A Kiss To Seal The Deal
Chapter 76: A Worthy Title
Postlude: Fate Beckons
Afterword: Author's Note

Chapter 73: Goodbyes Are Never Good

247 12 6
By writtenlegacy

Mateo was right. If I was leaving, I had to commit to it. I didn't call Jimin until much much later that night, in an attempt to control myself that failed in the end. People were out celebrating New Year's Eve, and the last few hours of 2018, but I was agonizing over a phone call to make.

"Riti!" Jimin yelled once he picked up. "What took you so long?"
I didn't say anything, I just stared at the ground.
"Hello? Riti? What's wrong? I can hear you breathing from this end."
"I hate you." I said, trying to control the emotion rising in my chest.
He paused for a moment before responding. "Why?"
I shrugged. "I just hate you, that's all."
"Are you mad about the Baek Hee situation?"
I shook my head silently, trying to hold back my tears. It's a good thing he couldn't see me right now as I was trying my hardest not to let my voice betray how upset I was. How embarrassing.

"Listen, I don't know what happened. I didn't talk to her about it. They just didn't follow through on their threat I guess... so I'm safe for now."
"Oh really? So your company is fine with you dating now?"
"Well no, of course not anytime soon."
"I really do hate you."
"I–I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry."
"I don't want to hear you say sorry."
I heard him sigh from the other side of the phone.

"I want to see you." I mumbled.
Jimin whined, "I do too. It's just that... the company is keeping an eye on what I do and where I go, at least for the time being."
"That's good." The farther we stay away the easier it's going to be to get over him.
"I wanted to spend New Year's Eve with you." He said.
I turned over in bed, almost imagining what it'd be like if he was here with me. "I wish you were here."

"I want to see you, I want to touch you." He whispered.
I half-gasped but just buried my tomato-red face into the pillow.
For a few moments I just stayed there silently, my imagination running wild, but Jimin broke the silence. "Why are we in different parts of Seoul?"
I let out a laugh. "Why are we in different parts of the world?"
He fell silent.
I continued, "I'm leaving the day after tomorrow, you know."
"I... I want to come visit, but we'll be touring and producing music till May."
"Good." I said stubbornly.
"Why is that good?"
"Because I hate you. And I don't think a long-distance thing could ever work out."
"But," he started protesting, but paused. We both stayed that way for a bit. "No, you're right. It wouldn't work out."

My breathing hitched and I groaned into the pillow.
"Riti, you don't know what you do to me every time I'm around you... I feel like I've become childish these days, become immature. It's a great feeling... But this last week really made me think."

I think I knew where he was headed with this, and it stung to wait around and hear him say it.
"You're still establishing yourself. You have so many goals you need to accomplish. You're capable of so much."
I teared up. Now he was talking like my frickin' mom. And the worst part was that I could hear him choking up too.

"You need to focus on yourself. Don't be distracted by me. I don't want to be the person standing between you and your dreams."
I almost laughed at the irony of it all. He was saying everything I'd been rehearsing to tell him during the day. "I really do hate you," I said with a half-hearted laugh. I could almost see Jimin smiling on the other end.

"Delete my number." I told him firmly after holding back my sobs with a deep breath.
"I will. You delete mine, then, too." He muttered quietly.
"I will."

Time stood still for a bit, and we just listened to each other breathe.

"I can't wait to see where you'll go. You have it in you." He said finally.
I want to catch up. I want to stand by your side again, but as an equal. I want to start over and meet you and love you and be accepted by everyone around us. I want it to actually work out, not just be a fluke and accidental meetings. If only I'd gotten a few brand deals, been a little older, pursued what I'd wanted to do and been good at it... before meeting you.
Sometimes in life, timing is everything.

"Jimin... did you know? I'm really grateful that I met you."
I heard him exhale a little laugh. "So do I deserve a New Year's kiss?"
I looked at the little alarm clock next to my bed. Midnight was approaching. We were saying goodbye to 2018 together, it seemed.

"So we're not going to see each other or talk to each other again, right?" I asked.
"Don't waste your time on me, Riti, my hands are tied for now. This time of your life is crucial."
"Well you too. Don't get into this kind of trouble again. You've worked way too hard to give it up now."
"I won't. I almost can't remember why I'd done it in the first place."

Silence again.

"I'm going to forget you, okay? I'm not going to message you ever again." I said. I had to say it, don't know why. It felt like I was trying to get his approval, to be on the same plane of understanding.
"Good," he echoed. "I won't call you again either."

I thought I'd cry again, but I felt more at peace now that we both understood where we were headed. In some sense, as much as I was going to miss what a ride this year had been, I couldn't wait for what lay ahead for me. For him.

He started counting down from ten, and I realized it was 11:59 already. I joined him at 3... 2... 1... "Happy New Year!"
We both laughed over the phone and I gave a little, "mwah" to him. "There. You got your New Year's kiss... and also a present."
"A present?"
"Yup. That peace of mind about Baek Hee. You can thank me later." I chuckled.
He probably had no idea what I was actually talking about, but just laughed along.

"Actually I have a present for you too..." He kissed the phone, "Mwah."
I giggled. "That's the present?"
"No... it's something for you from when I was missing you. I guess you haven't received it yet. You'll see."
"Nah I'm good, thanks," I joked.

We both teased each other about silly things and giggled before settling down again.

I spoke: "Jiminnie... I don't want to see you again. It'll be too painful."
He joked. "If we're talking about hurt, I don't even want to hear your voice again."

"Then—this is it?"
"Yeah. Yeah."
"Well then... goodnight."
"Goodnight Riti."
"Good–Goodbye."
He took in a deep breath before responding sweetly, "Goodbye."

We both stayed on the phone longer, quietly and silently, unwilling to end the call. He finally hung up after I heard Hoseok's voice in the distance. I numbly put my phone down by my side. This was okay, this was fine. I was okay.

I finally picked up my phone again to message my friends and family a Happy New Year. One of my school friends messaged me, "Ooh! Your boyfriend's new song is amazing."
I responded, "Who?"
She messaged back: "Jimin, who else."

I was shaken for a moment, but then realized that she knew nothing about the last few months. I fondly remembered how I'd called him my "boyfriend" in my school days. After all, he was... and continues to be... one of the people most precious to me.

But wait, a new song?

I checked Twitter, and discovered that I'd missed a tweet from Jimin in the day's craziness. It was from several hours ago. "A song for me, a song for you..." A new original song?!

I played it and almost immediately gasped when I recognized the tune of his singing. It was the same one he'd hummed to me on the car ride back home from the party, something he'd come up with while basking in the moonlight and with his head resting on mine. When everything had slowed down just for us. When it was all picture perfect. When it was just our pure and innocent feelings. My first love.

Everything I'd been holding back all evening came rushing all at once, my tears overflowing, flooding me. As I listened to the song I cried my heart out. I didn't hold back since I was alone... but not quite feeling alone either. Despite the harsh words spoken today I knew there was something unspoken there about our future. Something we bit back from saying but something that didn't need to be said. A desire to meet again. Our promise.

I sit alone, slumped down
And I break myself down with these thoughts
You probably don't even know
When you started hurting me

You're hurting too 'cause you're mine
I just want to blow your mind
You're only drifting further away like this
I say that it's all fine
The truth is that's a lie

I want you to be your light, baby
You should be your light
So you won't hurt anymore, so you can smile more
I want you to be your night, baby
You could be your night
I'll be honest with you tonight

Now promise me, oh, oh
Several times a day, oh, oh
Even if you feel that you are alone, oh, oh
Don't throw yourself away, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, hold on for a moment
Intertwine our pinkies
And promise me now, oh, oh, oh, oh

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

225K 10.6K 33
-We all love that chase.- When both best friend fall for the same person; one gives up and the other one carry on, however it was not the same anymo...
71.7K 2.9K 20
⚠️ || ITS A WORK OF PURE FICTION. THE MENTIONED IDOL HAS NO CONNECTION IN THE FOLLOWING ACT. PLEASE READ ONLY AS ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSE ||⚠️ "If there...
59.1K 2K 13
Jungkook is a depressed, unhopeful person, while Jimin is a happy and cheerful spirit, who almost always looks on the bright side of things. Jungkook...
1.3K 150 29
"Just look into my eyes like this. Are these raindrops falling or my heart falling for you?" He gasped. "It's not easy Jimin!" Her eyes got teared. I...