Untitled, 2018

By writtenlegacy

Not your average romance. In which a chance meeting changes everything for a disillusioned star and a spunky... More

Prelude: Stasis
Chapter 1: Goatee Man
Chapter 2: Customs
Chapter 3: Snapback
Chapter 4: 5Ever
Chapter 5: See-Through
Chapter 6: Sandalous
Chapter 7: Encore!
Chapter 8: Wanna Pee Alone
Chapter 9: Jimin's Day Out
Chapter 10: Glued to the Door
Chapter 11: Out of Character
Chapter 12: Favorite
Chapter 13: Blend In
Chapter 14: Square One
Chapter 15: What Would I Do Without You
Chapter 16: Food Fight
Chapter 17: Clearance
Chapter 18: Wrong Date
Chapter 19: Lost and Lost
Chapter 20: Airdrop
Chapter 21: Calm Before
Chapter 22: Soup
Chapter 23: Heighten
Chapter 24: Wanna Forget
Chapter 25: Framing
Chapter 26: Wrong Time, Wrong Place
Chapter 27: Mission Impossible
Part 28: The Last Place You'd Look
Part 29: In and Out of Deep Doo-doo
Part 30: Fired
Interlude: Mixin It Up
Chapter 31: Meet the Boys
Chapter 32: KaraoCrazy
Chapter 33: More Than A Fan
Chapter 34: You're Not Just Anyone
Chapter 35: Moody
Chapter 36: You Don't Know Me
Chapter 37: Principles
Chapter 38: MakeUp
Chapter 39: Gunho and Jihun
Chapter 40: Sabotage
Chapter 41: Lunch Date
Chapter 42: Photoshoot
Chapter 43: Your Pick
Chapter 44: How Could I Be Mad?
Chapter 45: Gunho's Revelation
Chapter 46: Part of the Crew
Chapter 47: What Feels Right
Chapter 48: Not That Simple
Chapter 49: Curveball
Chapter 50: So Suddenly
Chapter 51: Out of the Loop
Chapter 52: Four Strikes
Chapter 53: Just Talk
Chapter 54: The Entire Damn Industry
Chapter 55: White Knight
Chapter 56: Inaction
Chapter 57: My Business
Chapter 58: A Night of Secrets Revealed
Chapter 59: Better Than Okay
Chapter 60: Cut Off
Chapter 61: Moonlight
Chapter 62: So Much in So Little Time
Chapter 63: Fever Dream
Chapter 64: Realistic
Chapter 65: Ill-Timed Disaster
Chapter 66: Our Many Obligations
Chapter 67: In Our Hands
Chapter 68: The Hardest Choices We Make
Chapter 69: Unlikely Allies
Chapter 70: What Really Happened
Chapter 71: Why I Hate Mondays
Chapter 73: Goodbyes Are Never Good
Chapter 74: Encore, Where We Began
Chapter 75: A Kiss To Seal The Deal
Chapter 76: A Worthy Title
Postlude: Fate Beckons
Afterword: Author's Note

Chapter 72: Backfire and Fire Back

212 10 1
By writtenlegacy

Kang and Wang looked at each other with an indiscernable expression, and I threw a frustrated glance at Hanna. So she'd realized it, huh?

I pulled up my own inbox and showed them the emails I'd forwarded myself. "This was the email address. I forwarded myself all these files when I recovered them, just about a week ago." I handed the laptop to Wang for her to see, and she looked through the emails.

"If this isn't your own account, why didn't you tell them as soon as you 'recovered' the files?" Hanna interjected. She looked a little angry. I let out a little laugh of disbelief, but saw that Kang and Wang were looking at me for my response too. 

I sighed. It's because I was worried about Jimin, that's why. "I was dealing with some personal problems and didn't know how to bring it up. And I didn't want to directly snitch on you without understanding why. I probably should have told them sooner." I turned to Kang. "I'm sorry. I don't really have more proof about this. You'll have to believe me. I wouldn't lie about this."

The door slid open and Mateo walked in too. I waited for Kang and Wang to continue questioning, or to say anything, but they didn't. It suddenly reeled me back to the time when I had messed up at the media company and gotten in trouble with Kahn.

I suddenly felt all alone in the room again, under the scrutiny and disappointment from the two mentors I had come to respect the most since my college career had started. I thought I was going to cry again, because yet again, here I was, screwing things up.

But I refused to. I was done feeling like a disappointment when I'd done nothing wrong. Sure, I was distracted by Baek Hee enough that I'd forgotten to deal with this problem, but I had done my best to save the research. I did it without raising Hanna's suspicion until after I'd salvaged all the data and hidden the rest.

"Dr. Kang... don't you believe me...?" I implored slowly. I looked at Wang too, but she looked away, looking troubled too. I turned to look at Mateo, who just looked on, a little confused. I didn't bother asking anything of Hanna.
"So... I guess I'm getting kicked off the team two days before I leave."

Dr. Wang mumbled, "We'll discuss disciplinary action in private..." and I closed my eyes to steady myself and take on what was happening right now.

I stood up and reached into my backpack, rummaging through it for what I was looking for. "Do good news and bad news have some kind of quota in South Korea?" I found the hard drive I was looking for.

"These last two months I realized that the research we were doing was being compromised through sheer dumb luck, but kept quiet so that they wouldn't panic and delete everything they had of ours. I figured it was Hanna due to her... personal connections, but didn't want to accuse her without confirming it first. That's when I started encrypting our actual data and processing it by myself. I was doing double the work this whole time on fake data I had to plant in there. I don't understand what you think my motive for doing all of this could possibly be, but here is one of the hard drives I backed up all the real data and processed it on."

I handed it to Wang and picked up my backpack to leave. But as I passed Hanna, I stopped and told her, "I was so busy looking out for everyone else, including you, that I forgot to watch my own back. The person I was dealing with last week seemed impossible to me, but even she acted more respectably than you." She awkwardly tried to maintain eye contact with me but kept glancing around. I wanted to slap her or something. Even now I didn't want to drag her personal life into the mix, even if she'd outplayed me in this game.

I looked back at Kang and gave him a tight smile. He didn't return it. As I was opening the door to the room, Mateo stopped me by holding the door back.
"Wait. Dr. Kang, Dr. Wang. This is all a little too weird for me. There's no reason Riti would want to compromise our research. And clearly it wasn't an oversight since she has the data."

I looked up at him sadly. He nodded reassuringly. "Stay. We can get to the bottom of this right now." I turned around and stood facing the other three in the room. Dr. Kang spoke first. "There's no reason for Hanna to have compromised her research either. Right now we're just throwing accusations around."

I got ticked off. "I've met those competing research group interns once. She's dating one of them." There. I said it.
Wang and Kang both looked at Hanna for her response, and she fumbled for a bit before calling me a liar again.

We stood there longer still, and Mateo sighed. "She's right. Um... I've been suspicious about this too, but I wasn't sure about it, because I didn't know what was going on and didn't want to burden any of you with it. Hanna... don't lie, you're definitely dating that tall intern. I saw you with him a few times on dates when I was there. I watched you give him files to look at sometimes too."

I looked at Mateo in surprise. He'd known? Hanna stood still for a moment. "That's my... personal business– we're not together. I just know him."
Dr. Kang spoke. "You... gave him files? Did you hand him all our data? Our progress reports too?"
Hanna squeaked, "No, I--... he just wanted to know where we were in our progress. You know I've been working hard, I wouldn't compromise our own data. He just wanted to know how far we were in the process so that they could work faster too."

Mateo spoke, "Often the companies we went to had already spoken to their research group... so this is why. It was so frustrating for me since I was in charge of it. You gave them our potential contacts too."

"That's not... I worked hard to make sure our research would be the best, so that our group could beat theirs because of merit! I wouldn't sabotage our work." Hanna protested.

I wasn't having it. "Not only did you remove files and give them to their group, you replaced them with fake data for us to process. If I hadn't noticed, our research would have been so very inaccurate. Our margin of error would have been insane. That is sabotage, Hanna."

Hanna looked around, a little lost and flustered, unsure of how to defend herself. I silently thanked the stars that she'd inadvertently confessed. Otherwise we'd be in a deadlock. But in a moment some of the camaraderie I'd felt for her at the beginning of the internship poured back in. She'd been the first person to introduce me to other people at college, and she and her friends had included me in their little parties and activities until I'd branched out and started hanging out with Bangtan. It rubbed me wrong to see Hanna so exposed and cornered. Wang asked me and Mateo to leave the room, and I immediately rested my head on the cool wall once the door closed. I closed my eyes and tried to run through the scenarios of what could happen to Hanna. She could be in serious trouble if Wang and Kang were to escalate the issue.
"All for a boy," I whispered.

Mateo leaned on the wall next to me and spoke to me in a hushed voice. "Why didn't you tell me about the files? I could have helped."
"I didn't want to alarm you or Hanna. I thought I had to deal with it alone."

He clicked his tongue. "We're here for you to rely on. Don't always try to solve things all by yourself."

I opened my mouth to protest, but couldn't find any excuses. So I just said, "Sorry."

"Don't feel bad for her. She made the choice to do this to the research group. It wasn't just once or twice either."

"I know... it's just that... why'd she do it?"

"Probably got a little blind in her devotion to that boy. And it would be pretty easy for her to get away with. Sticking to your principles can be hard sometimes."

I turned to face him. "I think I almost did that too, which is why it's so scary."

He looked at me thoughtfully. "What's it like, being with the man you've admired for so long?"

I narrowed my eyes. He laughed. "What? You don't think it's obvious from our perspective? I think the whole research group can tell you're in a relationship."

I groaned. "Okay, but I could be in a relationship with anyone."

He looked away and smiled. "Impossible. Do you know how into each other you two seemed? It's discouraging to everyone else interested in you, you know that? You've not dated anyone else in your time here, right?" I shook my head.
"See? It's because people can tell they don't stand a chance against that guy."

I turned to the wall again. "Well it'll be over tomorrow. Though, I don't know how I'll do it. How am I supposed to forget him?"

Mateo sighed and paused, thinking for a minute. "Break it off completely, then. Hate him, get over him, forget him."

I smiled wistfully. "This is Park Jimin we're talking about. I couldn't hate him if I tried."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.3K 1.6K 29
in a universe where soulmates exist, two passionate dancers try to figure each other out ❝𝘪 𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘶𝘱 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘰𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘮�...
210 8 3
A story about the burden of falling in love, when that love wasn't meant to be yours in the first place
498K 20.5K 58
❝[...], you seem to always find a way back onto my path.❞ What happens when two old friends and more precisely, two ex-lovers, meet again after thei...
225K 10.6K 33
-We all love that chase.- When both best friend fall for the same person; one gives up and the other one carry on, however it was not the same anymo...