A War of Guns and Roses

By DazzlingJazz9

Elaine Greene was the daughter of a multimillionaire. She loved her father and lost her mother at a very youn... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47

Chapter 22

46 3 0
By DazzlingJazz9

In the morning, I felt well-rested as I woke up. My mood dimmed a little when I saw that the person beside me was missing, but so were half of the members in this tent.

I stretched and yawned as I lay back down and just stared up at the ceiling of the tent, pondering over life.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty," Ivan greeted as he entered the tent. I grinned back at him. "C'mon. Everyone is out."

I reluctantly dragged myself away from the sleeping bag, where the warmth and scent of Xavier's body still lingered.

Walking out, I squinted in the sudden sunlight and looked around. Eva waved me over to where they were all gathered around and as I took a seat, I realized one person was missing.

"Where's Xavier?" I asked.

"First thing in the morning and that's what she asks," Eva laughed. "Don't worry, Elaine. He hasn't rushed for the hills yet. He excused himself to take a call."

I scowled at her and grumbled incoherent things under my breath.

Eva mockingly cupped a hand to her ear, "I can't hear you sweetie."

I stuck my tongue out at her, just as I felt someone take a seat beside me. I looked to my right and sure enough, I was met with Xavier's gorgeous face.

"Hey." I smiled at him.

He nodded back silently.

He was wearing a navy blue skin-tight shirt today, pairing it off with his signature black leather jacket and light colored slacks. His eyes were a lighter blue today, with grey at the edges.

Food was sent around and we all had our breakfast.

"Gather up kids!" Mr Collins called. "So today we planned on having a relaxing day so all of you can do whatever you want and yes, you can go exploring but come back before sunset. And you can have a dip in the stream nearby."

"Yay!" Cheers erupted.

"So what are we doing today?" I asked the group.

"We'll go swimming and then, we can maybe walk around for a bit. I don't know," Eva shrugged.

"I'm game with anything," Blake and Ivan said together and then glared at each other.

Rebecca laughed and said, "Yah, we can spend the day swimming and decide what we want to do later."

Xavier was the only one in the group who didn't contribute in the conversation in any way.

"Hey Elaine!" A voice said from behind me.

I turned around and grinned at the newcomer. "Hey Drewy." I teased.

He flicked my hair playfully and I scowled at him, fixing my hair again. "Oh, you did not just do that!" I shouted and started chasing him around the campsite, laughing.

"They look so cute together, don't they?" Eva cooed and everyone turned to give her a weird look but her gaze was focused on Xavier, an evil look in her eyes.

"Don't you think so, Rebecca?" She asked, analyzing Xavier's expression.

Rebecca went with the flow. "Oh yah! Andrew is going to win her heart over, that is if someone doesn't do anything about it." She said, cunningly.

"Very vague, Rebecca. Very vague." Eva whispered dryly.

"Look who's talking." Ivan snorted.

"What do you think, Xavier? She seems closer to you these days. Has she been talking about Andrew?"

Xavier glared at her, trying to keep a cool expression. "No," he said firmly and a little forcefully as if trying to convince himself.

"But doesn't she like that other guy?" Ivan joined the conversation and Eva and Rebecca mentally facepalmed.

"Abort mission. Abort." Rebecca whispered furiously.

Right then, the subject of their talk appeared, aka me.

"What are all of you talking about?" I asked innocently, taking a seat next to Xavier.

"Oh nothing. Just the weather and stuff," Eva replied, trying to act nonchalant.

"Good job, sis," Ivan rolled his eyes. 

"Eva." I said slowly. "I don't know why you even try when you know you can't lie to save your life."

The others laughed and Eva stuck her tongue out at me.

"Now, what were all of you talking about?" I asked again.

No one answered. I raised my eyebrows.

"Okay," I said a little unsurely. "Why do I have a feeling that all of you were talking about me while I was gone?" I narrowed my eyes at Blake's guilty face.

Rebecca slapped his arm when she realized that I had seen Blake's expression. "What?" He asked defensively, rubbing his arm.

"So you're not going to tell me what you were talking about?" I asked, my voice turning lower and darker.

Yup, father's daughter coming into play right now.

Rebecca shuddered and whined, "Elaine! Don't do that. That's so creepy."

I gave her a wicked grin, "So, decided on filling me in yet?"

"Alright, alright," Eva said, raising her hands in submission.

"We were talking about your supposed love life."

"My love life?" I asked, confusion seeping in my tone and cheeks going a light shade of pink.

"Yah. Eva was just saying that you and Andrew would make a great couple."

"Huh?" I asked dumbfounded.

Why would Eva say such a thing when she was so adamant on Xavier and I getting together?

"But I don't—" I protested.

"We'll talk to you about this later," Eva said hastily, shooting Xavier a quick glance.

Xavier's jaw was clenched tight and he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here.

Still, not quite understanding what was going on, I turned back to Eva, to see a satisfied look on her face. That was when realization hit me.

Was she trying to make Xavier jealous?

Oh Eva. I pitied. There's no point in trying. I thought sadly as a frown crossed my face. 

"Anyways! C'mon, let's get into the water!"

All of them stood up and made their way back inside the tent to get their swimsuits. As soon as they were gone, Xavier stood up and stalked away in the direction of the forest.

"Xavier?" I called. "Wait up!"

"Stop following me," He growled, turning to me.

"Where—"

"Where I go is none of your business. Go enjoy your time with your friends and that kid," he snarled.

I cowered back, not in fear but more in hurt.

"If this is about what they said, I'm sorry—" He didn't even let me finish.

"No, it's not about that!" He said hotly.

"Xavier," I pleaded quietly.

"Stop-stop doing that," He growled, turning away.

I latched onto his arm, "Then talk to me!"

"I don't need to talk to you. Now let go!"

"No!"

"Elaine, you're testing my patience now. I. Said. Let. Go."

"And I said no," I bit back courageously.

"That's it." He burst and pushed me back roughly.

"Ouch!" I fell hard onto the ground and to my horror, I heard a crunching sound. I looked down at my leg and saw that my foot was curved at an odd angle.

Pain flooded me as I squeezed my eyes shut.

"Deodamnatus!" Xavier cursed and knelt down beside me. His hands wondered over my legs as he started panicking slightly.

Without warning, he slid an arm around me and carried me bridal style to the tent. He seemed to be doing that a lot these few days.

As soon as the others saw me, chaos erupted in the tent.

"What the heck happened?" Ivan asked, keeping his cussing to a minimum as he knew I didn't like hearing people swear.

"I fell," I breathed, my eyes still squeezed shut.

The pain was immense and I could feel the tears beneath my eyelids but I refused to let them fall.

"I don't think it's anything serious. It looks like a mild sprain," Ivan assured after inspecting my foot.

He had also been interested in medicine before and had helped in many health cares so he knew his work.

"I'll go and get some ice." Eva said, glancing at my swollen and bruised foot.

Soon, I had everyone fretting over me. Ivan placed the ice pack on my foot and carefully performed his job. After staying with me for an hour, I convinced everyone to go and get into the stream and have fun.

I sighed after everyone was gone, completely ignoring Xavier, who sat on a corner with his head in his hands. I let my eyes shut close and just tried to relax. I could still feel spasms of pain erupt in my foot and I winced every time.

I dozed in and out of sleep, feeling uncomfortable with the amount of pain my foot was emitting. Xavier had now taken his position at the foot of my sleeping bag and was carefully rubbing the ice pack against my foot.

"Elaine," he called quietly when I woke up for the fifth time, due to the pain, "I'm sorry."

I didn't answer. I just stayed quiet. I didn't know why I had pushed his buttons so much earlier. All I knew was that I was getting frustrated with his lack of a response.

"I shouldn't have lost control that way," he continued, "I just...I got really mad at you because you were trying to help me at every opportunity. And the more I pushed you away, the closer you attempted to be to me."

He paused and took a deep breath, "I don't want to do this to you. I don't want to keep hurting you this way, physically and mentally."

"Then don't," I whispered. "Stop pushing me away then. Let me in."

He shook his head and let out a frustrated sigh, "You don't understand. I'm not a good person, tesoro."

"And what if I said that I don't care?" I questioned.

"But I do," He said, his voice low. "And I can't let this continue."

"Shouldn't you be giving me a choice?" I asked laughing humorlessly, "Isn't this supposed to be my decision?"

"I'm not going to, because I know what you will choose. You have a knack for danger." He shook his head.

"And there you go, making decisions for me again. This is my life! Let me choose for myself!"

"Then choose wisely!" He erupted. "You're being stupidly stubborn. I don't want people to start saying "Like mother like daughter". I don't want to be your latest conquest. You can trap Andrew but not me."

A short silence ensured as I stared at him unblinkingly.

Did he really just—

"Get. Out." I said shortly, feeling my heart break at his words.

He didn't stay. He never planned on it. And I realized that I had been so blinded with my attraction for him that I hadn't seen him for the monster he was.

How dare he make assumptions about my mother when he had never met her. How dare he suggest that I'm a common whøre and a slut!?

*********

Xavier didn't come back. I overheard Blake telling Rebecca that he had left for home because of some impending business.

Bullsh!t. He just didn't want to face me.

I became insanely quiet that day and my friends started connecting the dots together, of Xavier's sudden departure and my snappy mood.

My leg wasn't getting any better and I couldn't stand on it for long. I couldn't even enjoy at this supposed holiday.

The others tried to cheer me up, but in vain. My mood refused to lift up and soar. Finally, Eva had had enough of my attitude.

"Could you stop sulking?" She snapped. "C'mon, let's go out."

"You think I wouldn't have come if I could?" I asked bitterly.

"Look Elaine. I know you like him. And I know you're not happy that he left but—"

"He called me a slut, Eva! He told me he doesn't want rumors to spread about us and for everyone to say that I'm being my mother's daughter." My voice broke at the end.

There was a short pause and I knew my words had taken Eva by surprise.

"Oh, Elaine!" She despaired, throwing her arms around my neck. "I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry," She cried.

"I thought I was the one supposed to be crying," I joked.

"He's a jerk!" She cursed, "For the first time, I'm regretting pairing you up with him. I'm sorry, Elaine," she whispered again.

"It's alright, Eves. You didn't know."

"And that's why I told you to keep your distance from him," came Ivan's voice as he entered the tent.

He had been listening in on this the whole time?

"Please, Ivan," I begged.

He didn't answer. Instead, he came over and wrapped his arms around me, caressing my hair. And that's when the waterworks started. As soon as I started tearing, it seemed like the whole group started crying.

"Guys," I sniffled. "I don't want a crying party in here."

Blake stood aside silently. He had discovered what Xavier had said to me and he seemed really mad.

After everyone had given me loads and loads of sweets and food and entertained me with their stories, they finally went to sleep.

"Hey Elaine," Blake said, a sad smile playing on his lips. "Can I talk to you?"

"Yah, sure," I smiled, patting the space next to me. He sat there and stayed silent for a while. He then breathed out a sigh and spoke,

"I'm sorry for what Xavier did."

I shook my head. "He did what he did. He didn't consult you before he did it. You don't have any hand in it, Blake. You don't need to say sorry."

"But I have to." He insisted. "He's my best friend and a damned idiot at that."

"Blake, please. I don't want to talk about him," I whispered.

He sighed again, "Alright then." He stood up and was about to walk off, when I called him back,

"Blake?"

"Yah?"

"Could you make sure that he does well for his chemistry exam? I don't think I can face him when we go back to school and my opportunity at getting into Harvard is at line," I asked.

"I have a feeling that he would do that on his own," Blake muttered, but I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to hear that. With a nod and another sorrowful smile in my direction, he walked away.

*********
A/N

Alright.

Who is really frustrated with Xavier and wishes to just get into the book and give him a good smack on the head?

Join the line, please.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.7K 127 27
Unlike most werewolves Ariel isn't looking forward to meeting her mate. To her, mating would mean giving up her most important possession: her freedo...
10M 517K 43
|| Featured FREE story with exclusive paid chapters - previously a paid story || When Haley discovers the truth behind Xavier, whose silence holds a...
462K 13.3K 36
Have you ever heard of being hired because you were honest? Well, this is a first! Emma: a proud, sarcastic but honest girl who gets hired because s...
390K 20.9K 60
"What do you want Xavier?" I said getting irritated. "For you to give me a chance to explain myself." "There's no need to explain anything to me, we...