The One Who Grounds Me (Book...

By Kimmy_The_Dull

Cover done by @russiangem Second place in the Frozen awards! Start: 17 October 2018 End: 1 January 2019 Small... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
I Wish
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
New Story In The Making
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Cast
Warning
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Acknowledgement

Chapter Forty-Four

74 9 115
By Kimmy_The_Dull

Tiana

The car pulls up in front of my mother's one story house. Sighing, I creaked my head to the side. I'll just rest and then tomorrow I'll deal with my mother. I pushed open the car door, hoping out. Tristan was already getting our bags from the trunk.

Tristan dumps our things on the steps leading up to the door. Removing a crumpled five dollar bills from my pocket, I handed it to the man.

"Rispeck." The man said in creole. He didn't even wait for my reply, he just jumped back in the front of his car and sped off down the road.

I turned my attention to the house, that held so many horrible memories for me. I should have probably accepted Tristan's offer on staying at an hotel, but I didn't want him spending so much money on me. Tch. I just need to tough it out for a while.

I closed my eyes, taking in a breath of fresh air. I really needed to tough it out for Tristan. I balled my hands into fists at my side.

Flashback

'"Melissa!" I called.

No answer. Hmm she must be out or something. I shrugged my bag off my shoulders. Resting my bag against the couch, i ambled over to the fridge. I needed something to drink. After fetching a bottle of Minute Maid from the fridge, I tread down the hallway in search of my sister.

It's strange that she wasn't back as yet. She's always the first one home. Pushing our bedroom door open, I poked my head inside. The place was as I left it this morning. I sighed, pulling the door closed. I shuffled towards the bathroom door, which was slightly open.

"Mel." I called again.

No answer. I pushed the door open, stepping inside. I sighed in relief when I saw my sister lying on the floor. She was in her white nightie. I took a step towards her. Poking her in the cheeks. "Mel, you know you can't sleep here."

I poked again, she didn't so much as stir.

"Mel!" This time I shook her. No answer. My vision blur. No. "Mel! Yah! Mel open your eyes! Mel, please stop playing around!" I cried. "Mel! Somebody help me! Help!" I yelled. I shook her more violently as the tears poured down my cheek.

No!'

End of flashback

Tristan touches me on the shoulder. "Hey you alright?"

"Yes... yes I'm fine." I croaked.

Tristan purses his lips. "We don't have to stay here you know? I can always rent us a room..."

"No seriously, it's alright." I said, giving him a fake smile.

Tristan still didn't look convinced but he didn't say anything. He just picked up our luggage off the steps.

Removing a single sliver key from my pocket, I sauntered up the three red steps. Taking a deep breath, I turned to the door. Holding the key at the hole, I pushed it in as slowly as possible. The door opens with a click. I thrust the door open. I was amazed at the sight that greeted me. The place was clean. Never thought I would live to see this day. My mother has always been a messy person. She didn't care if her house was dirty or not. No wonder the car hit her.

"Is something wrong?" Tristan asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

"No. Come on." I said. I helped him, jostled the bags inside. I kicked the door close with my heel bottom. I made sure to turn the locks.

"Why does your mother live so far away from civilization?" Tristan asked, dumping our stuff in the hallway.

"My mother loves solitude.... she hates noise." I said, shrugging.

Tristan nods.

"Ready for the grand tour?" I asked, placing the bags, in my hand gently on the floor.

"Uh sure?" He said, with uncertainty.

"Okay, so this is the hall and the kitchen as you can see." I said.

The kitchen was tucked in the left side of the house. A backdoor was against the fridge with a small black bin. Two three seat couches and a single sat in the middle of the room with a small coffee table in the center. I progressed further into the house. Tristan follows closely behind me.

"This is the bathroom. It's not as big as your own, but it has to do." I said pointing at the thick white door.

It was in the center of the corridor. Two other doors sat on the corner. "This is my mother's room." I said pointing on the left. "And this is my room." I pointed on the right.

Tristan pushes my room door open. "Why is in here so dark?"

"Curtains are drawn." I said, following behind him.

I flipped the lights on. Tristan began taking in his surroundings in silence. I prance over to my bed, sitting down the bed, it squeaked underneath my weight.

"So... this is where you spent your childhood."

"Mmm believe it or not." I said grimly.

Tristan opens and closed the dressers. "You don't own like a photo album or toys. Something to signify your existence."

I snorted. "Babe, only white people have shit like that. Jamaican parents don't fuss over their children. They toughen them up... that's what we call tough love."

Tristan scrunch up his nose.

"My mother had a photo album once but she burnt it after her husband divorced her."

Tristan ran his fingers over the dresser. "Well that's just messed up."

I smiled sadly. "What do you expect anyways. My sister and I had an hard life growing up, there was nothing to capture." I said, pulling at the sheets. "..... couple years ago my sister nearly killed herself, because she was tired of this life. She was tired of standing on the sidelines, watching our mother hitting me continuously and not being brave enough to do squat about it."

Tristan moves across the room. His footsteps were silent. Pushing my hair from my face, he tilts my head up.

"Tiana...."

Reaching up, I pressed my fingers to his lips. "Please don't allow me to think. Right now I just want to be with you. I just want to think about you, and only you."

Tristan lips parted, his eyes darkens with desire.

What's the sense in reminiscing? It only brings back unwanted memories. I didn't wanna think about my messed up life. I didn't wanna re-live all those horrible memories. Tristan leans down, his lips brushed against mine.

".... okay if that's what you want."

"That is what I want. I want Tristan to love me."

We stared at each other, our hot breaths mingling together.....

Well that's it.

So I'm curious, what is your most cherished memory?

I don't have any. 😑

Any who goodnight, see ya in the next update. (Which is on Monday.)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...
8K 514 24
Savannah goes on holiday with her boyfriend, Theo, and her friends. She thinks she loves Theo more than anything and Theo gives her the world. They'r...
19K 2K 32
(Ranked #1 in Adult in 28K stories) #Wattys2020 🥇(1st place) Romance- The Platinum Awards 🥈(2nd place) Chicklit - 2023 Rose Gold Awards 🥈(2nd pl...
125K 13.9K 56
At age 30, publications editor Kelsie Taylor is slowly losing hope in finding her fairytale romance. The stories of the women around her who experien...