Vintage Love

By softaura

❝You're sleeping with your professor, aren't you?❞ ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
I M P O R T A N T
1 million.
Notice (important)

Chapter 2

78.6K 3.4K 2.8K
By softaura

MR.KANE?

I parked my car and got out. A cup of coffee in my right hand and a file in my left. 

I could feel my gut churn at the thought of sitting through class alone. Lina took fine art while I was studying for a Literature degree. This was the first time we were apart from each other in a school setting and I was dreading it. The only thought that kept me going was the fact that our new professor was well-liked by the previous school. Apparently, he was one of the best, with a unique way of teaching and failing his class was close to impossible.

I entered the lecture theatre and instantly felt all eyes on me. I took a quick glance at my watch and noticed that I was still a few minutes early. Guess I wasn't the only one who wanted to be ahead. Thankfully, the professor wasn't here yet.

I spot the seating plan on the professor's desk and after a quick glance, I find out I'm seated next to a Chadwick O'Brien. I make my way towards my seat and watch as the blonde next to my seat study me. I guess he was Chadwick.

He arches an eyebrow as his eyes follow my form sitting down. I didn't know if he was waiting for an introduction but he wasn't getting one.

"Hi," was all he got from me. With my eyes trained in front of me, I set my laptop on the long table. I didn't like the whole introducing oneself thing. It ended badly in my hometown and I didn't need the same thing happening here.

The next moment, an oddly familiar figure entered the classroom. "I'm sorry, I'm late." The male stated even though he was just on time. He rushed to his desk, his back facing us before I could take a look at his face.

He went up to the blackboard and scribbled something. "So," he started as he turned around. "I'm Professor Kane." He held the chalk in his left hand as he spun on his heel, scanning every face of the classroom.

The moment his eyes meet mine, I freeze. "Archer?" I muttered under my breath, recognising my professor from last night.

His eyes stayed glued to mine for a second and I could see the roll of his throat as he swallows thickly. Archer may be a few years older than me but he was young, yet here he was, standing in front of my class as my professor.

He shook his head subtly as though trying to shake off his thoughts and began with his lesson.

"I only assume that each and every one of you have finished your reading," Archer said as he dropped the chalk, dusting his hands together as he picked up a book.

Panic begins to flurry from the pit of my stomach. I wasn't even aware of which book he was referring to. I got my bag from the ground and searched through it, wondering if it was part of the bundle they handed to me when I first registered but I couldn't find any book.

I stare at the book in his hands but he's too far away for me to catch the name of it so I turn around to try and steal a glance of the book cover from one of my classmates but my eyesight failed me.

Finally, I look at Chadwick but he doesn't have a book on his desk. It's empty and I wondered if he was just as lost as I was. He had his arms crossed and was slumped against his chair and so I mirrored his actions, sinking into my seat as I hoped Archer wouldn't notice. I opened my laptop in front of me, attempting to hide myself as much as possible.

At least I wasn't alone in this. I had Chadwick.

"So what are your thoughts on this book?" Archer started as he leaned against his desk, rolling his sleeves up which hugged onto his arms.

"I felt like the protagonist was way ahead of his time," Chadwick spoke from next to me and the temptation to drop my head against the table was strong but I don't do anything that would bring attention to myself.

Traitor.
Although, he wasn't aware he had just stabbed me in the back.

Of course he knew what book Archer was talking about. It's just my luck to be lost on the first day of class that my neighbour just so happens to be teaching.

"In what way?" Archer prompted with a question as he removed his glasses. He nibbled onto the stem of it as he stared at the rest of the students. I made sure to avoid his gaze whenever he looked at my general direction.

"He treated women like his equal, but in that era, toxic masculinity was at its peak. Women were views as possessions to be owned rather than a person for themselves but the protagonist didn't look at it that way." Chadwick continued.

"That's right, but not quite." Archer nodded as he approached the board. He erased his name and drew a vertical line on the board. "This book is rather unique. The author took his symbolisms in a different direction."

"Ark," Archer quickly scribbled onto the right side of the line, "although portrayed as someone aware of social behaviours ahead of his time, was also portrayed to be someone outside of time. This was shown in many instances, to emphasise just how in tune he was with his lover."

"For example, he'd know what was troubling her even before she did. I want you, all of you, to find the 13 instances where this was shown." Archer finished off as he placed the chalk back down and dusted his hands together.

He sat down on his seat and clasped his hands together.

I felt everything go right over my head as I sat there clueless to every single thing he was spouting.

"Since it's the first lesson, this will be your only assignment for the day. I can tell that some of you aren't prepared to go further in-depth today." Archer said and I make the mistake of looking at him because his dark eyes narrowed right at me.

From the distance, I couldn't catch the green in his eyes, just the brown and then I chastise myself for even caring about the colour of his eyes. That wasn't important right now.

I sunk lower into my seat, wishing I'd just melt away into oblivion as I tried to avoid my professor's gaze. I sat there for the entire two hours, staring at my laptop screen trying to google the book just by the name of the character but nothing came up.

So I started dozing off and before I knew it, the class was dispersing. I feel a tap on my shoulder and I spring up from my seat as I stared at the back of Chadwick's head leaving the lecture theatre. Class was over and I had slept for most of it.

And maybe Chadwick wasn't much of a traitor since he had just saved me from embarrassing myself in front of Archer by being caught asleep in class. I got up, hoping to disappear amongst the other students but I hear a voice peep from behind.

"Red," the baritone of his voice rumbled out, low and steady, "could you come here." He said as he stood up from his seat.

I clenched my fist as I turned around, my lips pressed into a nervous smile as I walked towards him.

Not leaving me a chance to say something, he stuck out a book towards me. "You're going to need this if you want to pass my class." He said and I looked down at his hands.

"It's okay, I can get it myself."

"Take this as a payment, for your phone." A smirk slowly crept its way up to his lips. His soft brown hair flopped over his forehead as he tilted his head to the side, waiting for me to take the book from him.

"It's fine. Really." Warmth crawls up on my cheeks the longer his eyes stayed glued to mine and I just hope he doesn't catch the blush that burned against my skin. The last thing I needed was for him to know how my body reacted to his.

"Red, I want you to have it." He doesn't relent, sticking the book out further.

I give in since it didn't look like he was backing down.

"Thank you." My eyes don't meet his as I take it from his hand. Now I'm the one who's embarrassed, a contrast from last night when it felt like I had the upper hand in the conversation for some reason. Thank God I had reigned in my anger last night or else this conversation would've taken awkward to a whole new level.

I held the book close to my chest as I walked away and I hear his voice once more. "By the way, class starts at 8 tomorrow." He said the moment I reached the exit.

"I thought it was 9?" I asked, turning around, my ponytail swishing with the motion.

He shook his head. "It's 8." He looked at me with a smile.

I simply nodded as I walked out. I looked at the book in my hand and read out the title under my breath.

"Vintage Love."

...

A/N: are you guys enjoying the story so far?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.9K 2.6K 50
She thought he was her college professor. Reality check: he was anything but. ~~~ 🖤 ~~~ Ellora Davis is an average college student, naive of the dan...
49.5K 4.3K 36
This novel featuring Amie and her childhood friend, Mahir. It's a delightful tale of friendship, lost connections, and the power of rekindling old fl...
83.1K 4.4K 44
𝙏𝙀𝘼𝘾𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙭 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝘿𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝙍𝙊𝙈𝘼𝙉𝘾𝙀 I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...
1.2M 71K 42
[2022 WATTPAD BOOKS AWARD & WATTY WINNER: GETTING PUBLISHED 2025] There's a boy at Evergreen High that has a different girlfriend every two weeks, a...