The Heir's Pretend Girlfriend

By simplicity432

Shannon Richelieu just lived a normal teenage life with her mother at their Los Angeles apartment until her m... More

1 ✮ Wrong Restroom
2 ✮ Gem Girl
3 ✮ I Can Be Tough Too
4 ✮ Fancy Champagne
5 ✮ You're a Handful [W i l l]
6 ✮ Bench Sleepover
7 ✮ Lock the Door
8 ✮ Taffy
9 ✮ Bloody Knuckle [W i l l]
10 ✮ Chicken Suits
11 ✮ Watered Soup
12 ✮ Kidnapping is Illegal
13 ✮ The Confession
14 ✮ Beach House Blues PART ONE [W i l l]
15 ✮ Beach House Blues PART TWO
16 ✮ Drunk in Love
17 ✮ Door Opening Classes
18 ✮ Snowshoe Bunnies
12 ✮ Only the Butt of the Airforce One is Allowed [W i l l]
21 ✮ Is this Gouda Enough for you
22 ✮ Hijacking Cheesecakes
23 ✮ Home Sweet Apartment
24 ✮ The Greenhouse
25 ✮ Pancakes for the Growls
26 ✮ The Heir [W i l l]
27 ✮ Miss Worthington
28 ✮ Polo Tournament
29 ✮ Bathtubs are for Sleeping
30 ✮ The Shocking Reveal
31 ✮ The Scott Chandler Enlightenment

19 ✮ Outdoor Movies

10.4K 265 19
By simplicity432

Chapter Nineteen - Outdoor Movies

"It's over!" Opaline splayed herself across my bed and stretched her arms out with happiness. "No more small-talk. No more business. No more investments. No more preparing." While she stretched, my teddy bears and plush dolls fell to the ground and I tossed it back on my bed. She laughed, catching my teddy bear, and apologized.

"For now." Soph spoke the obvious truth as she spun around on my desk chair while filing her perfectly manicured fingernails.

"Ugh, don't remind me Soph." Opaline whined.

"My father gave me hell because of that whole incident with Scott and Will." She stopped filing her fingernails and looked over at me. "But I guess it was worth it."

Opaline laid on her stomach while hugging my teddy bear. "It was most definitely worth it."

"I'm sorry." I apologized. I was currently trying to fix the clothes in my closet so I would be distracted from replaying what happened last night over and over again in my head. Stupid Will. He never leaves my mind.

"Don't be." Soph smiled. "At least Will finally got the balls to tell you."

"Yeah." I sighed. "But I didn't." Although Will's confession made me feel tingly and happy inside, the aftermath was absolutely terrible. I wanted to desperately tell him that I had feelings for him too, but my tongue was tangled, my ability to speak was inexistent, and I was sweating with anxiety that my hands felt clammy. So I untangled myself from him and paced the floor, trying to tell him that my mom needed me home right away. Why did I always have to be so nervous?

Of course, he was a bit disappointed at my reaction, but he refused to let anyone take me home, except for him. So, he drove me home (Although, it was quite silent the whole entire time) and then I knew I had to do something to assure him that I wasn't dissatisfied at his confession. When he parked, I tossed out all my doubt and grabbed his hand in mines.

"I have to tell you something too." I whispered and he looked over at me cautiously, as if something were about to explode. My heart, maybe.

"Go ahead." He said.

"I'm so nervous." I whispered and he laughed at me with the laugh I fell in love with.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. Jeez, why couldn't I just tell him three simple words? I. Like. You. Wasn't it supposed to be easy?

He seemed to sense my uneasiness because he let go of my hand. "It's okay." He smiled and walked around his car to open the passenger door. "Tell me when you're ready." He assured me and went back to his seat to drive back to the party.

"You know, you told him already, right?" Soph interrupted my reminiscing thoughts. She began filing her fingernails again.

"Right." I ridiculed. "Maybe in my dreams."

"You told him when you were drunk that night with Karen." Opaline tossed a pillow behind my head.

"That night with Karen?" I looked at both of them, confused. Come to think of it, I really don't remember what happened that night and Will did tell me that I tried seducing him that night. But I couldn't have?! I couldn't be that stupid while I was drunk? They exchanged glances at each other.

"That"-I pointed at both of them as if they committed a crime- "You both just gave each other a look!"

Opaline shrugged her shoulders, but I could tell she was trying her hardest to restrain laughter. "You told him that you were jealous of him and Charlotte and then you tried kissing him."

"What?!" I got up from the floor and the pile of clothes, sitting on my lap, fell down. "I couldn't have. I-I was drunk. How could I be so imprudent?"

Soph laughed.

"Is this really true? Please don't tell me this is true."

"This is true." Opaline said each word with emphasis and I wanted the whole world to eat me up right now. How could I ever face him again? The embarrassment was too deposing. "How do you guys know?" I asked.

"Because while you were at school the day after ypur drunken night, Derek asked Will what his deal was with you." Opaline smiled. I'm guessing she told Soph about all this.

"D-Derek asked?" My eyes widened with humiliation. "And Will told you what I did and said while I was drunk! Why on earth would he do that?"

"Because Op asked if he liked you." Soph explained.

I stopped pacing the floor and stared at them. So they all knew that Will liked me even before all this. How could I be so naïve? I, out of all people, should have known that he was over Charlotte. I guess I just thought that Will giving any such interest in me would just be too good to be true.

Even though I knew the answer, I asked. "And what did he say?"

"He smiled." Op said and then Soph raised her hand. "I witnessed his unicorn flying, rainbow feeling smile once too. Trust me, when he smiles, he means it."

I couldn't help the happiness forming inside of me and to hide my blushing self from Soph and Opaline, I sat down in front of my closet again to fix my clothes.

"You know what would be fun?" Soph asked. "If we all celebrated the ending of that horrendous Winter Ball!"

"Oh my gosh, Soph," Opaline jumped off the bed and pulled me to my vanity. She immediately pushed me into my chair and started fixing my tangled, brown locks. "That would be so much fun! Now let me make you over, Shan Shan!" She demanded.

"Aw, that sounds exciting girls." My mom suddenly appeared at my doorway and awed at all of us. She was wiping her sweat with a towel signaling that she was done with her daily Pilates. "By the way, Shannon. Chris and I are going on a date tonight"-She switched her glance to Opaline and Soph-"So she's all yours for the night, girls!"

Soph flashed her the OK sign. "Thanks Mama Richelieu." My mom flashed the OK sign back to her and walked away, leaving me completely speechless. How did she not hear my telepathy signals of help? I had so much homework to do this weekend, especially since I put it off for the ball yesterday.

"Guys, as much as I'd love to celebrate-"

"Nope. You can't back out." Soph interrupted. She grinned seductively and then handed me a cute top and a flowery skirt. "You heard Mama Richelieu!"

"You're all ours for the night." Opaline pulled some strands of my hair to curl.

"I never have a say in these situations." I sighed. "Where are we even going?"

"Oh, there's this outdoor movie screening event happening tonight." Soph looked over at my limited shoe collection. I could tell she was shocked at the amount of shoes I had since she practically had a shoe store in her room. "They're playing Jaws."

"Oh, I love Jaws." I beamed.

"Perfect."

"We rich kids always go to the annual outdoor movie screening event." Opaline explained even though I gagged at the idea of me being categorized as rich. "Since it's always the day after the Winter Ball."

"Sounds exciting." I said.

"Oh, it will be." Soph winked.

------------------------------

I should've known right away that something was up when Opaline forced me to wear that expensive red lipstick that Cristopher bought me for Christmas. Or even when Soph hair sprayed my curls so they looked more bouncy and full. But of course, I was always clueless.

"Oh my good golly gee." Opaline parked her Mercedes Benz right next to a familiar red Ferrari Enzo. Derek was leaning on the front of his car, sunglasses perched on top of his nose, and a smile formed on his face just as he saw Opaline getting out of her car. "What a surprise."

"Hey girls!" Derek pulled her in for a hug and Soph and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows. Opaline was totally enjoying every second of it. Why didn't they just get together already!? "You guys never come to this event. What are you guys doing here?"

"We wanted to finally check it out." Opaline said. "I didn't know you guys came here."

"We come here every year. It's kind of a bromance tradition." He laughed.

"We?" I asked before a familiar guy comes trailing out from the backseat of Derek's Ferrari.

"Hi girls!" Aiden comes up to us just as Soph's eyes plunge wide open with shock. "Sophia, a pleasure." He kisses her hand and now it was Opaline and I's turn to raise an eyebrow at her.

"So let me get this straight." Soph pointed at them. "You both come down here to watch the Jaws movie. At night. Sitting on blankets. Like a couple."

"Hey!" Aiden fought back. "It's tradition and it's Jaws."

"And Will's here too." Derick added. The sound of his name sent a tingly feeling down my spine. He's here?! Oh sweet mother of potatoes. I immediately started fixing the curls of my hair subtly so no one would notice.

"Plus we always brought ladies to watch it with." Aiden smirked. I winced, thinking about how Will probably bought Charlotte with him last year.

"Oh well in that case, go right ahead." Soph waved him off. "Go watch it with your ladies."

"Actually, I'd much rather watch it with you." He tried wrapping his arm around her, but she pushed him away and started walking. "Great." She rolled her eyes. "Don't wait up for me. I'm going to puke in the bathroom."

Aiden followed behind her, leaving Derick, Opailne, and I alone.

"Hey Shannon." Derick grabbed my shoulders and pointed at the huge movie screen in front of us. It wasn't completely dark yet, but the sun was setting. There were people scattered around on the ground, sitting on blankets, and surrounded by lights. The aura of the place seemed so magical. "You mind saving us a seat up there."

"Sure." I replied. "But, where are you guys going?"

"I forgot something back home and Opaline is going to accompany me." He smiled.

"I am?" She questioned and then I guess she realized something, because her face lit up. "Oh right, I am!"

"See you in a bit, Shannon." Derick went inside his car as Opaline waved at me.

I watched them drive off before I started walking down the rows of people and blankets. I could recognize some of these people from school so I bent down my head to avoid awkward glances.

I was just about to claim a spot when someone called out my name.

"Richelieu?"

I immediately turned around to face Will sitting on the ground. He was cross-legged and had his phone in his hands like he was in the middle of texting someone. He looked casual for once: Black V-neck, denim jeans, and some original converse, but man, did he still look so good? I could see girl's googling over him and I fixed my hair as his gaze seemed to stay sealed onto me. "H-Hi." He got up from sitting and looked embarrassed. But maybe I was just seeing things, because William Prescott never gets embarrassed.

I cursed under my breath at Derick for not telling me that Will was already claiming our spot. I tried gulping down my nervousness. Like last night, he was still making me feel so anxious. "Hi."

"I didn't know you were into these kind of things." He looked down at his shoes. It seemed as if he looked everywhere, except my eyes. "If I knew ... I would've invited you."

"Oh. No." I laughed apprehensively. I swear I sounded like a narwhale. "It's cool. I'm with Opaline and Soph"-I pointed behind me to show him where they were but none of them were there-"Oh, right. They went to go get something at Derick's house."

We kind of looked around awkwardly and I tried my best to not unexpectedly tell him how goddamn sexy he looked right now. Goodness, is this what happens when you have a major crush on William Prescott?

Why did he have to tell me he liked me?

"You. You should sit." He finally sat down and patted the floor beside him. I complied and tried not to sit too close to him, even though, I really wanted to sit close to him.

"How was the rest of the Winter Ball?" I asked him, trying to make conversation.

"Same old. Same old." He played with his thumbs. "I did see my father again after I dropped you off."

"I-I hope nothing bad happened."

"No, I behaved and followed orders last night."

"That's good to hear." I laughed.

"Talking about my father. Karen wanted me to tell you that she's sorry for getting you drunk that night you found her. Her and my Uncle are okay now. Their wedding is still going on next week." He said happily.

"Oh, thank goodness." I sighed with relief. "I was so worried about them."

"Yeah." He said, still avoiding my glance. "You should come to the wedding."

"Am I invited?"

"Of course you're invited." He nudged me with his shoulders like I was stupid enough to even think that I wasn't invited. "What I meant to say is that ..." -He let out a breath- "You. You should come."

"I'll definitely come." I said. Didn't he say that already?

"I meant you should come," He exhaled and then his eyes dawdled over to mines for a second. With me."

"With you?" I asked.

"Yeah, you know. As my date." He looked down at the blanket that we were sitting on and even with the minimal light from the sun, I noticed his face getting a bit red. William Prescott was actually blushing.

I couldn't help it, but I let out a giggle because this was the first time I ever saw him so nervous. It was so cute. It seemed to make all my nervous feelings about him fade away.

"What?!" He asked, enraged. Oh, now he looks over at me.

"I-I'm sorry"-I covered my mouth with my hands and his eyes softened-"I can't help it."

"So, I'm guessing you don't want to go with me." He scoffed.

"No. No." I bit back my lip so all the laughter would hopefully drain out of me. "I just can't believe THE William Prescott is actually blushing."

"What the hell? I am not blushing." He looked away and crossed his arms.

"Right, because unless you're about to transform into a red, galactic alien from space, I'd have to differ with your statement and conclude that you are blushing with a capital b." I teased him.

He laughed. "Richelieu, your humor is appalling."

"You're appalling for not accepting that you were blushing." I poked at him just as the movie started playing. I didn't even notice that the sun was almost gone now, because it was actually quite dark outside now.

"I'd love to go with you to the wedding." I said suddenly and he turned to face me.

I could feel him scooting closer to me. "Okay, I admit it ... I was blushing." He said, before someone shushed him for talking too loud. "But it's your fault." He whispered.

"How is it my fault?" I whispered back to him.

He leaned in closer to me before saying, "Because you look so beautiful right now."

And at that moment, I was so glad that the movie started playing and the lights were dimmed, because he would've definitely teased me about the blush now forming on my cheeks.

We stayed quiet, enjoying each other's company. Slowly, each of us scooted little by little until there were no empty spaces to fill anymore.

"Just to let you know"-Will whispered in my ear. His body was so warm next to mines-"I'm trying my best not to hold your hand right now."

I don't know why, but his flirty statement made me suddenly think of how experienced he was, since he dated Charlotte, and how unexperienced I was. I didn't know what to do in these situations, so I decided to just stop and breathe. I stopped thinking and started doing.

I felt my breath hitch, but my face was forming a giddy smile. Thank goodness, it was dark. "Nothing's holding you back." I stared straight ahead at the movie just as he reached over to grab my hand in his. I watched as his warm hands intertwined with mines and I tried not to get up and cheer really loudly, alongside my beating heart.

I had never seen this side of Will before, except glimpses of it while we were traveling together at San Diego, but never all at once. Everyone cheered when the theme song of Jaws started playing again and I joined, cheering mostly about Jaws. I guess. Or maybe some of it was because I was overjoyed over Will. But who knows.

The movie ended quicker than I had remembered it did and I was hoping, on my dear life, that it would never end. But of course, it had to.

Will and I sat next to each other with our hands still together. He grabbed his jacket from his car and threw it on me during the middle of the movie since it got extremely cold all of a sudden. I offered to share it like a blanket, but he declined.

We were quiet for a moment while everyone got up around us, cleaning their spot. And then, that's when I realized that I should finally tell him how I feel. It just didn't feel right if I didn't reciprocate the feelings he told me last night. Even though, I might've already told him when I was drunk.

"It's over." I said, not realizing that I actually said it out loud.

"Yeah." The word came out so slowly from his lips. He turned his face towards me and we sat there, staring at each other.

Is this really real? Is there no more pretending? No more plans? No more anything?

His eyes fell down to my lips and he started easing in, closer and closer until we were inches apart. I could feel my heart pounding and I was just about to close my eyes when Opaline interrupted us. "Hello there-e-e-e." She was crouched down beside us, which made Will and I jump apart from each other.

"What the hell, Opaline!" Will said, angrily.

"Sorry, did I disturb something?" She wiggled her eyebrows, completely entertained at what was about to happen, and Will shot her a death glare.

I can't believe he was just about to kiss me!

"N-No. You're fine!" I assured her and changed the subject. "Um, where were you guys? We were looking for you?"

"Really now?" She raised an eyebrow, but laughed when she saw Will and I exchanging looks. "We sat at the back." From behind her, I could see Soph, Derick, and Aiden talking to each other near Derick's red car.

"Why?" Will asked. "How'd you guys watch from all the way back there?"

Opaline's face shaped a very mysterious grin. "Oh don't worry"-She looked over at me-"We had a great view of everything from back there." I started blushing. Why am I not surprised?

"Come on!" She grabbed the both of us once we cleaned up and folded the blanket we were sitting on. "We're all going out to dinner."

"I have some stuff to do with my Uncle later tonight." Will pulled his phone out of his pocket and glanced down. For a moment, I forgot he was the heir to the Prescott Industries.

While walking up to where the rest of the gang were, a couple of guys passed by us and whistled. They were clearly checking out Opaline, but I guess Will didn't notice that. "On second thought"-He wrapped his arms around me-"A dinner wouldn't hurt."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

474K 17.5K 28
Arranged marriage? In this day and age? Seriously? That's the proposition Elizabeth Westville, a young beautiful heiress, has to face in order to bri...
1.5M 44.8K 57
Hannah Sky was a average 22-year-old woman with a content life until the day she came home to find her boyfriend, Peyton of 3 years on top of her bes...
184 1 29
Annalise Hart is a first-year college student and just an ordinary and simple girl. One day, she was approached by a guy named Prince Ace Knight and...
126 15 7
"Laney, are you trying to blackmail me into dating you?" Hardin asked, a smirk plastered on his face, leaning closer. "Maybe." Hardin seemed unfazed...