Since Summers

By agatharoza

The People Choice Awards 2019 Winner for Best Diverse Books Never had Autumn thought that she would break up... More

Season List of Summers Series
one : the first time
two : pokerfaced
three : good dancer
four : lies
five : easy or hard
six : the drive
seven : rumour has it
eight : the closet
nine : friends
ten : brothers
eleven : trouble in paradise
twelve : another ride
thirteen : selective memory
fourteen : reunion
fifteen : fine
sixteen : irish pub
seventeen : dead drunk
eighteen : sleepover
twenty : bad timing
twenty one : bruised
twenty two : rest
twenty three : break
twenty four : miss
twenty five : schemes
twenty six : regrets
twenty seven : milksop
twenty eight : worst
twenty nine : nerves
thirty : childlike
thirty one : past
thirty two : bullies
thirty three : regret
thirty four : a girl
thirty five : wingman
thirty six : wedding
thirty seven : brothers
thirty eight : late
thirty nine : do we ? was i ?
forty : nothing changes
forty one : sex & regrets
forty two : not since I met you
forty three : cruel
forty four : caring fella
forty five : twins
forty six : perfectly wrong
forty seven : friendzoned
forty eight : bond, james bond
forty nine : proposal
fifty : wolves
fifty one : but i do
fifty two : unexpected
fifty three : little one
fifty four : plot twist
fifty five : alive
{bridge} frazier
{bridge} promise
{bridge} new page
[pre] 1 : Match & Gasoline
[pre] 2: The Nerd's Secret
[pre] 3: First Kiss
[pre] perfection is illusion
[pre] promise me no promises
[pre] strangers
[pre] dodge a bullet
[pre] Fake Love
[pre] Careful What You Wish For
[pre] Call Me, Clark Kent
[pre] Villain X
[pre] Shame On Me
[pre] A Kissing Frog
[pre] won't go home without you
Forever Frazier

nineteen : when I do seduce you

19.4K 1.7K 282
By agatharoza

I hope someday
We'll sit down together
and laugh with each other
About these days, these days
All our troubles we'll lay to rest
And we'll wish we could come back to these days, these days
— Rudimental, These Days

AUTUMN

I sat lazily on the couch with a hot cup of tea in my hands, watching Frazier as he sat cross-legged on the ground. He didn't shout or yell as he played, unlike my brother who would make noises every now and then when something happened to his character. His face was so serious, almost as if he was really in an opt and not just playing a character who was in an opt. If my stomach wasn't moody, I would've laughed.

He seemed to notice me staring or he had an eye on the back of his head because the next thing I knew, he said, "I know you're dying to beat my ass so why don't you just come here and we sort it out."

"What?"

He looked over his shoulder and smirked. "Come on, I have one more controller in the drawer." As if to prove his point, he moved to the drawer below the flat screen and took out another controller. "Are you scared, Temptress?"

I wasn't someone who backed down when challenged so I put my mug on the table and walked toward him. I gave a challenging smile as I looked up at him and took the controller from his hand. "Game on." Just like all members of the Summers family, I hated losing so there was no way I was going to be easy on him.

* * *

"Shit!" I cursed under my breath. I leaned back against the leg of the couch and looked at the ceiling, refusing to stare at the screen which confirmed his winning. I took a sharp breath and turned to him. "Rematch!"

"Again?" He chuckled. "You can only rematch once or twice, luv, not five times." He put down his controller and walked towards the kitchen.

"Hey, where are you going? We're not over yet. I want a rematch." I put my controller on the floor and tried to catch up with him. I found him standing by the fridge, taking out of a pack of cherry tomatoes, minced beef, two onions, two carrots, three strips of rosemary, and eight strips of bacon. He closed the fridge door and moved to the kitchen cabinet. Again, he took out a bottle of Merlot, dried oregano, and fresh bay leaves. "What are you doing? I want a rematch."

With his back to me, he continued taking some stuff out of the cabinet as he answered, "if it's up to you, we'll be having a rematch until midnight." He turned and put two 400g tins of plum tomatoes on the counter. "I'm hungry. I want to eat."

I took a seat on the stool and folded my arms as I observed the stuff he laid on the counter. "What are you going to cook?"

He pulled out a saucepan and put it on top of the electric stoves. Even though my cooking skill was pretty much nonexistent, I knew all about cooking tools from Masterchef. "Just a simple spaghetti bolognese." He put one spoonful of olive oil in both pans and looked up. "You're not allergic to anything right?"

I shook my head. "No food allergies. But I'm allergic to assholes on daily basis. Especially an asshole who doesn't want to do a rematch."

Frazier let out a deep chuckle. "Aren't you feeling hungry? We only ate a sandwich so far." My traitorous stomach growled, showing that it agreed with him. Traitor. "See, even your body agrees with me."

He said that casually but somehow it sounded so wrong in my ears. Maybe I shouldn't be thinking too much. I shook my head lightly as if trying to shake the thought off my head. "Do you want me to help?"

Carefully he dropped the eight strips of bacon in the saucepan and stirred it using a wooden spatula. "Can you cook?"

No. "Sure." In the back of my mind, I remembered the last time I cooked for my family on Christmas Eve, that dinner from Hell. But it was two years ago, I was sure my cooking skill has gone better. Or worse.

"Okay, then come here and help me fry this bacon." He gave me a charming smile and added, "I'll teach you how to cook." It seemed that he knew I wasn't good at cooking after all.

I moved beside him and he handed me the spatula. I did the same motion as he did a few seconds ago. I can do this. I mean, how hard can it be?

He went to open the tins using a can opener and then cut the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and rosemary. Listening to the sound of the knife hitting the chopping board while watching him skillfully cut those ingredients made me feel like I was on a cooking show instead of his kitchen.

He moved to my side and I was suddenly aware of how close our bodies were. "What are you doing?"

"We need to turn down the heat so the bacon won't get burnt." He turned the knob a bit to the left. "Now, we put all of these into the pan." He added the chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and rosemary to the pan. "Stir the veg until it softens. I'm going to prep the next ingredients."

He unwrapped the minced meat and threw away the wrapping into the bin nearby the sink. He moved beside me again but this time I took a step to the left, giving some space between us. "Are you afraid of me or the pan?" He shook his head, making me feel childish for doing it.

"Next, we increase the heat to medium-high so the meat will be cooked thoroughly." He added the minced meat inside the pan. "Make sure the meat is browned all over, okay?" I gave him a firm nod and continued stirring.

I watched the meat slowly turn brown and turned to Frazier who was busy putting water into a pan. He put it on the stove next to the saucepan and turned on the heat. "Is this brown enough?" I pointed at the meat.

"Yeah." He turned down the heat a little. "Do you mind a bit of chili?"

"Nope. As long as it's not too hot."

He nodded. "Don't worry it's just to add the flavor." He went to the fridge and picked up one chili and some basil leaves. He chopped the basils and the chili then dumped them into the pan. "What a bolognese without tomatoes?" He added the tinned plum tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves, a splash of wine, and cherry tomatoes.

I lost count of what ingredients were in the pan. There was no way I could remember them without writing them down. I recalled his words earlier and muttered under my breath, "how can all of these be considered simple?"

Frazier looked up and gave me a pointed look. "I heard that."

Oops. I cleared my throat. "How long are we supposed to cook this?"

He tilted his head to the left and gave it a thought. "About an hour, maybe?"

I frowned. "Maybe?!"

He shrugged. "I don't usually time my cooking unless I make soufflé." He looked at the pan and put his hand on top of mine as he started to break up the plum tomatoes. "You should do this so they'll be cooked evenly." I held my breath and tried so hard not to move a muscle. He finally let go of my hand and I finally continued to breathe again.

He dumped the dried spaghetti into the boiling water and dropped a spoonful of olive oil. "What's the oil for?"

"So they won't stick together," answered him as he started to stir the spaghetti. He glanced at the saucepan and told me to stop stirring. He took a spoon and took a bit of the sauce. "I think it needs salt. What do you think?"

I took the spoon from his hand, dug in the saucepan, and had a taste. "Yeah. A little bit of salt."

Frazier took a pinch of salt and sprinkled it on top of the sauce. He wiped his hand on the white cloth. Once he made sure that the taste was good enough, he turned to me and asked, "Could you hand me the lid?"

I grabbed the lid from the counter in front of me and gave it to him. He put the lid on and turned the knob. "Set it to boil but not boiling hot, just slightly below the boiling point. What's the word for it?." He tapped his chin lightly. "Simmer! That's the word."

This time, regardless of how moody my stomach was, I couldn't help but giggle. He shot me a murdering glare which only made me laugh even louder. "You're such a nerd when it comes to cooking."

He squinted his eyes. "I'll take that as a compliment." Just when he was about to turn his attention to the boiling spaghetti, his lips curled into a small smile. Watching his smile pinched one corner of my heart. I brushed it off like it was nothing even though deep in my heart, I knew there was definitely something.

* * *

He mixed the spaghetti with the sauce and served it with grated Parmesan and some fresh basil. It smelt so good that I could hear my stomach sing.

Frazier smiled as he handed me the cutleries. "Dig in." And so I did, I twisted the spaghetti using the fork and put it in my mouth. "How is it?" asked him. I looked up and found his eyes staring back at me, waiting for my reply.

I smiled. "It's wonderful." My reply made him smile like a kid in a candy store. His eyes sparkled as he smiled. "Your family must be so lucky."

His lips twitched. "Why?" He looked at me quizzically.

I gave him a duh look. "They have you cooking great food daily." I shrugged one shoulder.

He chewed and swallowed. "I don't cook for my family." A small frown appeared on his forehead. "They have their own chef."

I blinked. "Not even once?"

Slowly, he shook his head. "Nope."

"Why not?" I asked incredulously. I found it weird that he has never cooked for his family. I remembered Hunter, Tyler's friend who was dating my best friend Mey, he was a wonderful cook and when I asked him why he loved to cook, he said it was because of his family. Hunter said seeing the smile on his twin little sisters' faces made him happy.

Frazier shrugged. He held a glass of water close to his lips and took a drink. When he set it back on the table, he looked at me and had his usual smirk on his face. "You're the first person to ever taste my food."

His eyes were so intense, I had to drop my gaze at my plate and twisted the spaghetti using the fork and spoon. I heard him laugh and looked up. "Don't worry, Temptress, I'm not trying to seduce you. It's an honest truth." He put his elbows on the table and leaned forward. "Believe me, when I do seduce you," he paused and gave me a wink, "you'll know."

* * * * * * *

A/N: ship or sink em??

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 57 51
"This was just supposed to be summer fun. That was what we agreed on." I tried to talk to him as he was vigorously shaking his head, tearing his gaze...
162K 4.5K 37
"Breathtakingly beautiful."he whispers against my ear. I can hear the anticipation in his voice. His lips crash up against mine, this being my first...
1.2M 32.9K 35
"You're just too much fun to mess with," he jokes, his smile transforming into a glowing smirk. My cheeks heat, but this time with anger. My toleranc...
2M 53.6K 53
[COMPLETED] Autumn Cross is now in 12th grade at her new school, Willington High, with only one goal in mind: passing the 12th grade and going to a g...