Shinigami Haken High School (...

By iamcalifornia

The serious type. The diva type. The party animal type. The shy type. The rebellious type. No better combinat... More

Chapter One: The First Day Back
Chapter Two: The New Kids
Chapter Three: Sake of the Game
Chapter Four: Detention
Chapter Five: Election War
Chapter Six: Fall Break
Chapter Seven: Alan's Secret
Chapter Nine: The Homecoming Night
Chapter Ten: Pre-Party Plans
Chapter Eleven: Unlucky Leather Pants
Chapter Twelve: Eric's Hangover
Chapter Thirteen: Alan's Surprise Party
Chapter Fourteen: Thanksgiving Friend-Zone
Chapter Fifteen: Shirtless Shopping Skills
Chapter Sixteen: McDonald's at Midnight
Chapter Seventeen: Hospital Day
Character Corner
Chapter Eighteen: Eggnog Pong
Chapter Nineteen: White Christmas
Chapter Twenty: Gay Boys and Doritos
Chapter Twenty One: Minna Saiko Arigato!
Chapter Twenty Two: Grounded!
Chapter Twenty Three: Trouble and Tacos
Chapter Twenty Four: School Lock-in
Not a Chapter: Q&A Announcement!
Chapter Twenty Five: Movie Night
Chapter Twenty Six: Jinxed
Chapter Twenty Seven: Realization
Chapter Twenty Eight: Social Experiment
Chapyer Twenty Nine: Heartbreak
Chapter Thirty: Pack Your Bags
Chapter Thirty One: Knock Knox
Chapter Thirty Two: Be Okay
Chapter Thirty Three: Tunnel of Alan's Gender Confusion
Chapter Thirty Four: Slingby To The Resuce
Chapter Thirty Five: Eric's Guilty Pleasure
Chapter Thirty Six: I Need-o A Custom Tuxedo
Chapter Thirty Seven: Suit and Tie
Chapter Thirty Eight: Reveal of the Deal
Not a Chapter: A Note From Nat
Chapter Thirty Nine: Slingphries Sets Sail
Chapter Forty: Sir William T. Spears
Chapter Forty One: All Good Things Come To An End
New Fanfiction!

Chapter Eight: Happy Place, William

994 29 25
By iamcalifornia

A collaboration fanfic written by myself and @NatStillLives. This chapter was written by the fabulous Nat and is posted on her fanfiction.net , along with the rest of this story. Don't hesitate to inform us about any spelling or grammar mistakes

I pulled my backpack out of my locker and waltzed out of the school's front door. Heading to the parking lot, I stopped at the scarlet convertible. I waited for Grell to get her butt outside. She had to get her English book from the English room before she could go home, apparently. 

After she had dumped me before we even went out, we went back to being best friends. Grell gave me rides home, did homework with me, and went out for milkshakes with Ronnie, Alan, Eric, and I. Everything was good and well with the world. I kind of alright with things being back to normal. 

"Hey William!" I snapped out of my daydream to see Grell jogging over to the car. "Guess what!" I sighed as she stopped in front of me.

"What is it, Grell?" I asked. There was absolutely no way I could guess what she wanted me to. She bounced up and down repeatedly. 

"You know about homecoming?!" Grell asked. She was really hyper this afternoon. Maybe she had too much coffee. 

"Who doesn't know about homecoming?" I asked bluntly. Grell rolled her eyes and placed one delicate hand on her right hip. 

"Guess," she ordered. I smirked and copied her stance. I had time to kill and the stamina to stand here all day. After the first minute Grell looked ticked off. The next minute she looked like she would die if she didn't tell me her news. "Fine!" Grell caved at the challenge. "We're playing the South High Demons!"

My jaw practically hit the concrete. "Does that mean-"

"Yes! Sebastian will be in town, not just the Homecoming Dance, but the game as well!" Grell cheerfully informed me. 

I wasn't as excited as she was. I had only planned to go to the game, and not the dance. That way I wouldn't have to meet this Sebastian. The only reason I was going to the game was because Ronnie and Alan, who were playing pep band, had asked me to come. 

"Well, I guess I can determine whether or not this Sebastian, is worthy of Ronnie and I's Grell," I said. I pulled it of as a joke, but I was dead serious in my head.

"You guys are too protective!" Grell joked. I laughed along with her as we got into the convertible.  "I can't wait for you and Ronnie to meet him!" Grell added happily. "You're going to love him!" Somehow I doubted that, but I didn't have the heart to tell her my thoughts. 

I jumped into Grell's car and waited for her to join me. I awkwardly tried to get my friend's attention away from the subject of her date. "So, um," I desperately tried to think of something, "what's the date of the game?" 

"It's this Friday!" Grell looked shocked. "How could you forget?!" I winced and then just put my head down in mock shame. Today was Thursday, the game was in a day. 

"What dress are you wearing?" I asked. She brightened up and got into the driver's seat. 

"It's the most gorgeous thing you've ever seen!" Grell chattered off. She hit the gas and began to speed out of the parking lot. "Will you're parents mind if I take you to my house to see it?" 

"I'll text them quick," I said. Reaching into my pocket I pulled out my cell. I texted my mom that I was going to Grell's house for a little while. Mom texted me back the okay. "We're good," I informed my friend. 

Grell talked about Sebastian and homecoming the whole way to her house. Apparently he was tall, had raven black hair, garnet eyes, and had the patience of a saint. I mean, come on. The only qualification I didn't meet was the garnet eyes. Okay, maybe the patience too. I was just as good as Sebastian! But if Grell wanted Sebastian over me, I could live with it. As long as my Grell is happy, I'm content. 

Did I just call her my Grell?

"Here we are!" Grell said. She parked the car in the driveway of the house. Grell lived in a two story house. They had re-sided the house three years back during the summer, and now it was sided in brown. On the second floor over top of the garage, was Grell's room. There was only one window in her room, and right outside of it was a tall cottonwood tree. Many times Ronnie and I had climbed up that tree to sneak Grell in a McDonald's number 3, a chicken sandwich. Grell's parent's were vegetarians, whereas their daughter wasn't. Poor Grell was stuck with asparagus and lettuce instead of real food. Ronnie and I would sometimes feel bad and sneak her fast food. 

Grell and I exited the convertible and walked up to the door. I followed Grell in and didn't really mind because her parent's liked me. "Don't worry," she informed me, "neither of my parents are home."

"So do you want me to wait downstairs while you change?" I asked. I didn't want to follow her into her room when she was planning to change. That would be super awkward for both. 

"Yeah, sure," she said as she ran upstairs. I waited for a little while and set my bag on the floor. Then I got bored and sat on a red colored couch. I surveyed the room, the Sutcliffs had done some redecorating since I had been here last. The decor was all in red and black. The couches and seats were red, while the coffee tables and bookshelves were black. Last time I had visited them, the bookshelves and such were red, and the sitting places were black. I heard a click and looked up the stairs. At the top stood Grell. 

"You look-" I was completely stunned. She looked absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. The dress was, of course, red. No other color was suitable. It appeared to be chiffon, and lightweight, probably so she could dance. The dress had a v-neck halter top that tied around her dainty neck. It was cinched at the waist by a sparkly jeweled belt. A knee-length skirt flowed like water with her every movement. Three-inch red high heels adorned her pale feet. They looked kind of like a sandal, with red satin wrapping around her toes and a red bow tying around her ankle. 

"Does it look bad?" Grell asked, worried. She started down the stairs. I walked to the bottom of the stairs and waited. 

"No," I told her, "you look ravishing." She blushed and looked away as she stepped down another step. She shouldn't have looked away. Grell missed the next stair step and fell. I jumped to catch her, and I cushioned her fall. We both thudded to the floor with Grell on top. Her legs were on either side of mine. It was the single most awkward position ever. "You okay?" I asked Grell. She gulped and nodded. 

"What's going on?!" 

Grell and I both jumped and I attempted to twist my head to see who had spoken. "Hi Dad," Grell said. 

"Honey!" That voice could only belong to Grell's mother, "get off the poor boy before you kill him!" Grell obeyed her mother's command. 

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliff," I began awkwardly, "I can assure you that there is a perfectly good explanation for that awkward scene." 

"There had better be," Grell's dad growled. I winced, and Grell rolled her eyes. 

"I was showing William my dress for Homecoming, and I kind of fell," She put on her puppy dog eyes, causing her parents to melt. 

"That's alright dear!" Her mother assured. "And William! How many times have I told you to call me Auntie!"

"We aren't related," I said bluntly. 

"Come on Will," Grell's dad insisted, "why don't you stay for supper? We're having tofu tacos!" I didn't want to say no to Grell's parents, but I really hated tofu.

"Mom, Dad, I'm sorry," Grell interrupted, "but William has to help Ronnie with his English essay in an hour." 

"I would love to any other time," I apologized, "but I made a promise." I was silently thanking Grell for her little white lie. 

"That's alright," Grell's mom assured, "we understand." Grell walked me to the door. 

"You might need this," she said, handing me my bag.

"Thanks!' I said, "see you at school, and you look amazing." She blushed and mumbled a thank you before shutting the door. 

Lucky for me, I only lived a block away from Grell. I trudged the block home, trying not to think about Grell. I hope she hadn't hurt herself. It would be really bad if she sprained a wrist because of me. I sighed as I crossed my lawn. Finally home.

"Hey mom," I said tiredly as I walked in, "I'm back." My mom smiled warmly as she replied to my greeting. 

"Come on, honey," she told me, "time for dinner." I sighed, wishing that my mother would quit calling me that. 

Dinner was short, it only lasted for about half an hour. We had ordered pepperoni pizza for dinner, and it wasn't that great. I helped my mother wash the dishes before grabbing a can of cat food. I rushed hastily up the stairs to greet my kitty. 

"Hey Artemis," I called. Hopefully my cat would come out of hiding. When I wasn't home she usually dragged her little stuffed mouse underneath my bed and hid there. "Where is my pretty kitty?" I asked. "Come on Artemis!" I encouraged, "I even got the tuna flavored!" 

At the word 'tuna' my cat lunged out from underneath the bed. I smiled and praised my cat as I pet her. She purred as she leaned into the head rub. I laughed and opened the can. Artemis pounced on the cat food and wolfed it down in a minute. "Well someone's hungry," I teased. Artemis ignored me and began to wash her paws meticulously. 

I jumped on my bed and sighed while thinking to myself. The day after tomorrow is homecoming. I know for a fact that I'm not going to the dance; however, I am going to the game. I'll probably just sit with Grell and Sebastian. 

-

"Come on Will!" I turned to see Ronnie waving his drumsticks in the air. He was in Grell's car. Beside him sat Remi; she's Eric's date, after all. "If you don't hurry we'll all be late for the game!" I sighed and rushed to hop in Grell's convertible. I took shotgun; the seat closest to Grell. 

"Let's go," I told Grell. She obliged and hit the gas. It was Friday, the day of Homecoming. Ronnie had dressed in a black wife beater, black cargo pants, black army boots, and had painted a death scythe tattoo on his right bicep. Remi must have designed that outfit for him. I looked at Remi's entourage. She was decked out in all green and black. A green bandana was tied around blonde-brown hair. Remi wore a sleeveless black tank top, green cargo pants, and black army boots that matched her brother's.

I got a good look at Grell. She was wearing a black summer dress that stopped at the knee. A green short sleeve sweater was placed over top of the dress. She wore knee-high black riding boots and had tied a red ribbon around her neck. It didn't quite match; though it sent a message. 'I may be with my school, but I'm my own person. Nobody owns me!' 

Beside my friends, I appeared slightly nerdy. I had worn black khakis and a green long sleeved sweater. My attire resembled more of the person who got swirlies, than the person who hung out a bonfires and snuck into his friend's houses. "What do you think?" I looked up to see who had spoken. I had been so lost in my thoughts that I had completely forgotten about everyone else. Grell looked irritated that I hadn't answered.

"Think about what?" I asked. Everyone else stifled a laugh at my expense. 

"I asked what you thought about staying for the dance," Grell paraphrased. I looked quizzically at my friend. "One of the sophomore girls really has a crush on you."

"Who?" I asked. I had no idea that anyone would have a crush on me. 

"I think that she's Ashton's cousin," Grell stumbled. Ronnie and I both were stunned. Someone even remotely related to the Landers who would like me, even as a person, was a miracle. 

"I'm not sure that's the best idea," I told her bluntly. 

"She's really nice!" Grell protested. 

"Even if I took her to the dance," I complained, "I have nothing to wear." I must have said something. Grell, Ronnie, and Remi all shared knowing glances. "W-what'd I say?" I asked fearfully. Knowing my friends, they had a sneaky plan up their sleeve. 

"Let us handle that," Ronnie ordered. Grell had pulled into the school parking lot, which was packed. Being the thrifty person she was, Grell had set up a 'handicap' sign in her usual parking spot. I rolled my eyes. Leave it to Grell; only she would do that. 

Grell parked expertly and Ronnie hopped out to remove the temporary sign. Remi and Grell reapplied their red lipstick and hopped out. I reluctantly joined them. "So guy's" I began, "where's Alan and Eric?" 

"They're meeting us on the bleachers," Ronnie answered, "as will Sebastian." 

"Here you are," Remi said, handing me a Walmart bag full of clothes, "this has a set of clothes for the dance. Do not forget!" I winced and muttered a yes ma'am. 

I followed my friends through the gate and onto the football field. There was still fifteen minutes before the game started. We waltzed across the field toward the bleachers. A couple of football players whistled at us as we passed. Of course Ronnie turned around. "Thanks boys," he said mockingly in his falsetto, "I know, I look hot!"

"I'm not gay!" One of the jocks from South High yelled angrily. He made a move to hit Ronnie. Ronnie smirked and laughed at him.

"Truth hurts, bro," Ronnie said snidely. This time the jock really took a swing at him. I jumped forward but Eric had appeared out of nowhere and stopped the jock's fist. 

"Save it for the game," Eric growled. The jock growled back, but still walked back to his team. "Come on," Eric said, "Alan and that Sebastian are over this way." He pointed to the bleachers. At the bottom of the bleachers stood Alan. He had his clarinet in his right hand and Ronnie's drum at his feet. Pep band was playing, after all. Talking to Alan was a tall, lanky boy with his back turned to us. He had long black hair that flowed to the nape of his neck. Alan pointed in Grell's direction and the boy turned. He had the reddest eyes I've ever seen. His entire face lit up when he saw Grell. 

"Sebastian!" Grell squealed as she ran to the boy. She dove into his arms and Sebastian twirled her around. He set her down and pecked her on the nose. Grell blushed as red as her hair. I had a suspicion that I wouldn't like this 'Sebastian'. 

"Happy place, Will," I muttered, "happy place." 

-Nat

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

902 100 39
Book 2 in the taken by fate trilogy I left. My choice because i was so filled with guilt about my family thinking that I was dead but also because...
471K 4.9K 23
🚫Requests are C L O S E D🚫 Most of these will be female!reader unless stated in the title or asked in a request (eg asked for male, gender neutral...
662K 13.5K 72
Hazel finally has a good life after years of abuse in the hands of her step dad,but for a young girl who is broken and shattered inside and forced in...
1M 44K 89
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC