Water Goddess

By Skylinger

When Kailani turns 16 she is quickly thrust into the world of gods, goddesses, demi-gods, and guardians. Kail... More

A dept paid
Awake and Angry
Anger and Understanding
Demigods and Demigoddesses
An interesting Day
Rivals will Fight
An Unexpected Visit
The Race
Her Team
A Big Brother and a Warning
Deals, Skills, and Realizations
Troubling Visions
Visions of Pain
Caught by Poseidon
Getting Closer
Prelude to War
It Begins
No Longer in Charge
I know where to go
Clearly underestimated
Prisoners taken
This could be bad
The gods wonder
A Chance Taken
Unexpected Help
New Places, New Allies
We Need Both
Loch Ness
Jewel of Loch Ness 30
Change is in the Air 31
Stay Together Part 32
What is to Come? Part 33

What to think

9.3K 325 127
By Skylinger

Chapter 26

(What to think)

Kailani’s eyes fluttered open. She moved her wrist and the sound of a chain jingled. Slowly she sat up and looked at her surroundings. It was only a moment and she remembered where she was. Ramiero had attacked Willem’s lair and he had now taken her prisoner. Her blue-green eyes scanned the area.

It was dark for the most part but there were a few glowing torches. She looked across the room to see her brother Saar was chained to the wall now. ‘I thought they were working together,” she thought to herself.

She looked from the throne on her right to the one on her left. Kailani was glad to find both thrones were empty. Feeling the touch of silk she looked down at the silk black dress that stopped a few inches above her knee that Ramiero had forced her to put on. Kailani wanted nothing more than a pair of jeans and an old t-shirt. She didn’t like the looks Ramiero had given her before she’d been ordered t put the short dress on; afterward his looks had been worse.

Kailani looked down at the chains. She frowned realizing there were metal cuffs surrounding her wrists. She doubted she could find a way to get them off. Kailani let out a quiet sigh.

“I see you’re awake.” Kailani’s eyes looked to see Ardin peering over at her. She moved her legs closer as Ardin’s eyes traveled over her. Ardin smiled at her. “I have no desire to face Ramiero’s retaliation. No one will touch you; look but not touch.”

Kailani moved her wrists frustrated. “You’re not going to get away with this.”

“I think you’ll find I will.” Kailani looked just behind her to see a very proud looking Ramiero. “I never could stop myself from collecting beautiful things.” He stepped closer to her and Kailani instantly tried to move away from the demigod. Ramiero let an amused smile cross his face as he watched her scoot away from him. To her disappointment she wasn’t able to move far.

**

Marius looked down at where Blaine lay bleeding on the table. His face was tear stricken and his body covered in gashed. Blaine had suffered long and been incompliant until Fury had been standing over him ready to cut off the one part of flesh every male valued. He’d broken instantly and answered any and all questions they had.

“It’s a shame you had to endure such pain,” Marius told the tortured man. “Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go play hero.” Marius turned around and walked out with Andrew one side and Zelda on the other.

“We better hurry there’s no telling what Ramiero might do to Kailani,” Zelda warned. Marius didn’t argue and the group quickly gathered others and headed for Ramiero’s lair.

**

“Were too late,” Tucker said disappointed as he looked at the empty lair. “Anyone could have her.”

“There has to be something to narrow down who has the girl,” Buddy said.

“Let’s see what we can find,” Fern agreed.

Demitri didn’t argue and began searching the lair for any clue as to who had taken the girl. He saw the cage and frowned. While he was sure Kailani hadn’t been in it made sense to him Ford would’ve been. As protective of the guardian as Ford was he was certain Ford had harmed himself trying to get to her. There was a burnt smell in the air leading him to believe the bars were electrified. Another clue it was Ford that had been in the cage.

The son of Artemis walked down a tunnel and past a few dead demigods. A frown crossed his face at the site of them. He hated the war for power was costing people their lives. Letting out a sigh he raised his head and saw light further into the tunnel.

“Tucker,” he called and then continued down the tunnel. Slowly he made his way down the rest of the tunnel. Seeing a ladder he cautiously crawled up the ladder. Demitri found himself in the middle of the forest as he emerged from the crawl space that led out of the tunnel.

“Dover,” He said.

“Demitri what did…..damn,” Tucker said emerging as well to see the dead demigod and a lot of blood.

“Ramiero,” Demitri said looking at the injuries. “Ramiero would strike quickly and…”

“Agreed,” Tucker said.

“Someone that wasn’t dead was taken as well,” Buddy said. Demitri looked over at him slightly surprised. He hadn’t heard any of the others emerge.

Hearing a bird Demitri looked up to see a blue jay. He raised his hand and extended a finger. Instantly the bird flew down and landed on his finger. “Can you tell me what happened?” Demitri asked. “Where is Kailani?”

The group watched in silence as the bird chirped away the tale of what had taken place. Demitri thanked the small bird and bidding it farewell watched the bird fly away.

“Ramiero killed Dover and took Kailani. Raiden took an injured Willem and Ford with him,” Demitri informed the group.

“So what do we do?” Fern asked. “There are not enough of us to take on Ramiero.”

“No, but, we can go to Raiden.” All eyes fell on Tucker. “I don’t trust Marius. Raiden took injured people and doesn’t kill needlessly.”

“Agreed,” Demitri said quietly before looking out into the forest disappointed.

“Demitri?” Fern said. “Is there something we should know?”

Demitri turned and faced his new friends. “There is something I haven’t told you about Kailani and me…I’m in love with her.”

Tucker smiled amused. “Kind of figured that.”

“I think Raiden is to. He tried to kiss her and…she ran. I found out that day she had feelings for me and I told her how I felt about her. Well that I liked her anyway.”

“Oh,” Fern said realizing the potential problem of going to Raiden.

“I get your hesitation but….”

“The only thing that matters is getting Kailani away from Ramiero. If it makes me becoming Raiden’s prisoner than I’ll deal with it,” Demitri told them.

Tucker looked at the demigod before him with sympathy. He knew it was very likely that Demitri would become Raiden’s prisoner. Still the face Demitri was willing to be a prisoner for Kailani’s sake made him respect the well liked demigod even more.

“We don’t know where it is,” Buddy reminded everyone.

“I do,” Demitri said. “Let’s go.” No one argued and the group began their journey to Raiden’s lair.

**

Ramiero forcefully led Kailani down the hall toward his bedroom. Kailani struggled but Ramiero was so strong he easily over powered her. He threw the door open and slamming it behind him he tossed Kailani on the bed.

“What is wrong with you!?” kalian asked turning over to see Ares son coming towards her.

“It’s been a while,” he replied approaching the bed. Kailani’s eyes went wide as she realized what he intended to do with her.

“Forget it Ramiero I’m not sleeping with you!” she yelled at him.

“I don’t remember asking for permission.” Kailani moved to get up and Ramiero slapped her sending her back down to the bed. “Behave and I won’t hurt you.” Kailani let out a scream as he grabbed the bottom of her dress.

“Get off her!”

Kailani scooted away quickly before realizing who had stopped him. Poseidon’s daughter couldn’t have been more surprised to see Marius punching Ramiero.

She watched in amazement as the two battled it out before Marius cut Ramiero under the chin just enough knocking the man backward and into a table that instantly crashed to the ground. Marius pushed a bookcase on top of him angrily. Slowly he turned to see a frightened Kailani.

“It’s alright Kailani,” Marius said gently. “Come on,” he told her and held out his hand to her. Marius internally frowned when she didn’t immediately accept. But the knowledge of what his brother had just attempted made him understand. “I won’t hurt you Kailani. Ramiero had no right.”

Hearing swords clashing Marius said, “Kailani we need to go now.” He reached over and taking her hand pulled her up and off the bed. “Come on.” Holding on to her hand he led her out of the room and back down the hall.

“It’s over!” Marius called out. Instantly he began leading her out of his brother’s lair.

“Wait!” Kailani said seeing her brother still chained to the wall. “Saar.” Marius looked at her surprised. “Please? Ramiero will kill him for no reason.”

“Andrew get him.” Andrew nodded and immediately he got to work on freeing the water demigod.

 They emerged from a cave a few minutes more and quickly made their way down the side of a mountain. Like Willem’s Ramiero’s lair was underground as well. Carefully but quickly they headed into the forest at the bottom of the mountain and disappeared into the forest below.

**

“Where the hell is Ramiero’s lair?!” Illithia said frustrated. “There is no telling what he’ll do to Kai.”

“I think I can help you with that.”

“Demitri!” Serenity said and sprinted to where her brother stood. “How..where…”

“We’ve got big problems,” Demitri said. He looked to the other side of the room where Raiden stood. Their eyes fixated on each other. “Ciro has entered the war.”

“Ciro! That was who was in my vision!” Solana said realizing. “But why wait what?”

“We’ve all taken for granted it was the Olympians but it’s not. Any of the gods can emerge victorious,” Demitri informed the group. He looked at Raiden and said, “He’s willing to sacrifice Kailani’s life to win. I don’t think you’ll do that.”

“No, I won’t,” Raiden agreed. He looked over at where Margret was standing. “There is a lot I’m willing to do but no. I won’t sacrifice Kai’s life.”

“Dana and a few others are with him,” Demitri said.

“Why did he take you?” Illithia asked.

“He wanted to use me against Kailani,” Demitri replied. “He’s desperate to win. It may be a tossup between who is worse Ramiero or Ciro.”

“Tucker,” Illithia said recognizing him.

“Illithia,” he replied. “I assume you still have Willem and Ford here?” the once guardian said.

“Willem is recovering from a nasty sword wound,” Serenity said. “Ramiero just slashed out at him.”

“How’s Ford?” Demitri asked.

“I don’t like electrified bars,” Ford commented. Demitri turned around and was pleased to see his friend standing there. “Glad you’re okay.”

“I have Toodles to thank for that,” Demitri said. Instantly the little mouse came down his arm.

“Ahhh he’s so cute!” Solana said and walking over picked up the small mouse. “I think you’re a mouse that deserves a treat.” She looked at Demitri. “Is it okay if…”

“Toodles would very much appreciate it.” Solana smiled and happily left taking the mouse with her.

“Guess it’s time to gather the troops,” Justin said making his presence known.

“You’re in no condition to go to battle,” Raiden said. “Illithia get things ready.” The blonde woman gave a nod. Turning his attention to Demitri he gestured to a door on the other side of the room. Demitri didn’t argue and the two men left the room.

“He better be fair to him,” Tucker said firmly.

“Raiden doesn’t hate Demitri,” Justin assured him.

“Maybe not but they both want Kailani,” Fern said knowingly.

**

Demitri walked out onto a balcony with Raiden. Demitri stayed quiet and waited for Zeus’ son to begin the conversation.

“You’ve taken quite a chance coming here,” Raiden said calmly.

“Kailani is more important than me becoming your prisoner,” Demitri replied.

Raiden looked over at Artemis’ son. “It’s more than that and you know it.” He looked out at the sky and forest below for a moment. “Demitri we’ve been friends a long time.” Raiden looked over at the other demigod. “I’ve always valued our friendship but…I want her too.”

“I know. I saw you move to kiss her.”

Raiden’s eyes went open wide. “You did?”

Demitri nodded. “Serenity and I were almost to your post when your father started the storm. A storm I’m sure that was meant to gain you a moment with Kailani.” Raiden gave a shrug not bothering to deny it. “You scared the hell out of her,” he said less than pleased.

“I can protect her better than you can,” Raiden blurted out.

“Neither one of us did a very good job at the beach now did we?” Demitri replied less than pleased. “We have different abilities but neither one of us are better than the other,” he added a moment later.

“That may be but I’m the one that will be playing hero,” Raiden said looking over at his friend. “I know you have the upper hand right now but I’ll use whatever opportunities are awarded to me.”

“What if she says no?” Demitri asked.

“You need to give me a chance,” Raiden said. Demitri looked at him confused. Raiden looked away. “I won’t make you my prisoner as long as you agree to give me an equal chance with Kai.” Looking back at him he said, “You’re a man of your word Demitri; you always have been. I want your word you’ll give me time with her as well.”

“There’s no guarantee…”

“I know that. I need to know I had an equal chance,” Raiden said. “You can be part of my team or in a cell. Personally I’d prefer you as part of my team. If Kailani hadn’t shown up we both know you’d have chosen me.”

Demitri hated the idea but also knew he couldn’t help anyone from a cell; including Kailani. He gave out a sigh and then reluctantly nodded. “I make no guarantee’s but…I’ll give you time with her as well.”

“Good. Let’s go save Kailani,” Raiden announced pleased and headed off the balcony. Demitri followed but not as enthusiastically. The idea of giving Raiden space and a chance at Kailani did not sit well with him.

**

Kailani was thrilled to be out of the short dress Ramiero had put her in. Marius had even allowed her to put the clothes that she’d been wearing when Willem had captured her after they were washed.

Poseidon’s daughter wasn’t sure what to think now. Marius had her but unlike Ramiero he wasn’t trying to dress her like a tramp or trying to force himself on her. Still like Willem he’d taken her prisoner. She couldn’t help but wonder what would happen next.

“Kai.” Kailani looked over to see Tyra standing there. “Come on. Marius and Skylar wan to see you.” Kailani simply nodded and followed after the dark haired girl. ‘Why do they want to see me?’ she wondered. Like at Willem’s she was not bound or kept in a cell. At least for now she was permitted a little freedom.

She followed after the girl she had been friends with before the war. As she walked through the halls she tried to pretend she didn’t notice others notice her. Some of them seemed to have almost hope in their eyes. A hope she didn’t understand.

“In here,” Tyra told her. Kailani noticed the heavy door. ‘Am I being put in a cell after all?’ she wondered. Kailani didn’t argue though and entered the room. Once inside she found herself in a large open room. A large wood and stone table was in the center.

“Join us,” Marius told her. While he sounded commanding it was not harsh. Feeling no fear or need to run she walked up to where Marius stood with Zelda, Lerato, two people she didn’t know and Skylar, son of Athena.

Kailani walked up to the table to see a large map spread out on the table. “What is this?” she asked.

“You’ve never seen this?” Zelda asked.

“No,” Poseidon’s daughter confirmed. “What is it?”

“The way to find the Skeptrum of Ortus,” Skylar said watching her closely. He watched as Kailani looked away. “You really didn’t want any part of this did you?” he said.

“I don’t want any part of this,” Kailani said. She shook her head. Looking at Marius he said, “This is your war not mine. We wanted to stay out of it. That’s why we left.”

“Would you want to chance Ramiero winning?” Lerato asked her. Kailani looked at him and it was clear he had her attention. “The one that wins will have enormous power. Their father will give them whatever they want. If Ramiero wins there will be no one to save you from him. Marius will not be able to help you.”

Kailani frowned and looked down at the map. She’d have to decide to help or not.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79 0 11
Stephanie was going on an island trip until everything went wrong during the flight changing her life. Years later, She discovers that she's was chos...
938 44 36
Getting sucked into a whirlpool, sleeping in monster-infested woods, and battling psycho sea-nymphs was not how Hailey planned to spend her first yea...
310 3 55
In a world where ancient prophecies shape destinities,a forbidden love ignites a bond between the enigmatic son of the mighty Poseidon,Theodor Dilla...
141 27 22
Oliver Ridgley, your average high school outcast, suddenly finds herself amidst secrecy, plots, and things striaght out of a fantasy novel. When her...