The Ruby in the Storm

By _WriteMeThis_

***The Girl Underground, Book 3*** "You know me better than anyone else," Lucy told her mother. "So you know... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: Fortune's Favors
Chapter 2: Storm Bringer
Chapter 3: Stretched on Your Grave
Chapter 4: Revelations
Chapter 5: Queen Takes Knight
Chapter 6: Opens but to Golden Keys
Chapter 7: Anima Sola
Chapter 8: Dining in Memoriam
Chapter 9: Nemesis
Chapter 10: The Game of Human Vices
Chapter 11: Not a Drop to Drink
Chapter 12: Peculiar Things
Chapter 13: A Sudden Light
Chapter 14: The Perfect Coward
Chapter 15: Metronome of Time
Chapter 16: Judgment
Chapter 17: A Becoming
Chapter 18: Domestic Vanities
Chapter 19: Alea Iacta Est
Chapter 20: Know Thy Lover
Chapter 21: Storied Pasts
Chapter 23: Safer Shores
Chapter 24: Beyond Silence
Chapter 25: Whispers of the Mind
Chapter 26: Strange Bedfellows
Chapter 27: Spectacles
Chapter 28: Hide Your Fires
Chapter 29: In the Name of Hope
Chapter 30: The Provincial Rose
Chapter 31: Her Battle, Her Armor
Chapter 32: The Hours in Our Days
Chapter 33: Show Me Your Hero
Chapter 34: A Town of Ghosts
Chapter 35: Winged Creatures
Chapter 36: Ace of Hearts
Chapter 37: The Secrets of Our Universe
Chapter 38: Something Wicked
Chapter 39: The Art of Silence
Chapter 40: Family Virtues
Chapter 41: The Quincys
Chapter 42: Hope will Find A Way
Chapter 43: Arise Like Fire
Chapter 44: What Strangers May Tell
Chapter 45: Children of Fate
Chapter 46: Unchained

Chapter 22: For Whom the Bell Tolls

810 72 2
By _WriteMeThis_

Chapter 22: For Whom the Bell Tolls

Leila paced the floor of her room, running her hands over and over again through her hair. They were shaking. She was so cold. The chills were unbearable. She had to scream into a pillow some nights because she was afraid she was being attacked by something hiding in the shadows. Her arms and body ached; she was constantly tired yet unable to sleep. Wiping the sweat off her brow was slowly becoming reflex even when there was no sweat.

Time was running out. Stay here and see her only solace leave forever, or leave and bed the devil in the process. But she would have the wine, and the wine made all the chills and aches go away. Just one sip to cure the sweating, the lethargy, the anxious feeling that someone in the dark was going to stab her to death. Just one sip, that was all she needed.

"What are you doing in here?!" Leila snapped when she turned to find a maid standing there. "Get out!"

"But..." The maid gulped, terrified. "You called me in here, ma'am."

Leila frowned. "I did?"

"Yes, ma'am, not a minute ago."

Leila blinked. She didn't remember doing that. Was the maid lying? Why would she? Of course, why would she not? Leila was the lady of the house after all, and all maids loved to see their ladies fall from grace. Likely this maid conjured up some silly and simple story to make Leila think she had called her in when, in fact, she was actually spying on her to bring gossip back downstairs.

Or maybe you did call her in and you don't remember. Honest mistake. Now, back to the wine...

"Go find Oliver and bring him here," Leila told the maid. "Quickly."

"Yes ma'am," the maid shakily curtsied and all but ran out, slamming the door behind her.

Leila rubbed her hands up and down her arms, sat down, got back up again, paced again, and then stopped. She had to keep moving, she knew that. Sitting still would only drive her mad. God, she needed the wine.

Just one sip. Just one.

"You summoned me, ma'am?" Oliver stepped in, leaving the door open.

"Yes..." Leila wiped the nonexistent sweat off her forehead. "Yes... Right... Come inside, shut the door."

"Shut the door?" Oliver frowned. "But this is your bedroom, ma'am..."

"And?" Leila asked. "Come inside. Shut the bloody door!"

Oliver did as he was told, and when Leila was sure no one was listening in, she spoke. "I need you to do something important for me."

Oliver looked confused. "I can take you down to the den again tonight, if that is what you mean."

"Of course it's not, would I be in this horrid state if I was visiting the den every night?!" Leila gritted out. "I can't think straight, Oliver. I keep shaking and sweating, I feel like my world is closing in around me and I cannot breathe! I need the wine!"

If Oliver had been confused before, he looked even more so now. "But... If you need it then why haven't you been going?"

"Because..." Leila paused. Dare she tell him? Was it his business to know? Jarrel's ultimatum was something she had not planned on sharing with anyone, and something told her that it should stay that way.

"I am ill," she said. "I need rest. My current 'master and commander' has refused to let me leave. Pick whichever explanation you feel Jarrel will believe, I don't care. I need you to go to his den tonight and fetch me the wine. A barrel, if you can, but if not that a flask will suffice."

Oliver now looked terrified. "You're saying you want me to..." He gulped and lowered his voice. "You want me to steal from Dr. Nemo?" When Leila nodded, his face paled. "But he's so... Large! He's like a bull, ma'am! And he has eyes everywhere, he sees everything!"

Leila rolled her eyes. "Really, Oliver, you're put off by his size? Rest assured, the man has it but doesn't know how to use it," a thing she could tell even if she had not been with him in that way. "He cannot possibly have the energy to have eyes everywhere. If he does, inebriate him first and then steal some of the wine. Sneak it in your pocket when he's not looking. Seduce your little minx, Tamla, to do it for you. Oliver," she grabbed the footman by the arms and shook him. "I. Need. That. Wine! Do this for me and I will pay you so handsomely you need not answer to any man ever again."

There it was, that spark of greed. Every man had it. Money was always the cure for fear, but the root of cowardice. She had him with the promise and at the moment it didn't matter if she meant it or not. To be honest, she wasn't even sure if she meant it or not.

"Do you mean it?"

"Go there tonight, steal the wine," Leila said, ushering him to the door. "Then we will talk payment."

With that, she all but pushed Oliver out and slammed and locked the door behind him. Leaning up against it, Leila breathed in and out slowly and nodded to herself. This could work. This would work... No... This had to work. She didn't know what she would do if Oliver came home empty handed.

She could not leave with Jarrel, she just couldn't. The man was a snake, and no matter how beautiful and exotic the creature, it was best admired at a safe distance. This was the best option. She felt as though Jarrel was the sort of coward to make an empty threat.

Leila felt the shivers come once again and felt her hand move to her forehead to wipe away the sweat that wasn't there. She felt herself rocking back and forth and glanced desperately out the window.

This had to work!

XXX

Lanfore, Hertfordshire, England

Ross sat on the steps of the Quincy estate and glanced out towards the outstretched woods before him. He had never set foot on this estate before a few days ago, but he had meant to so that he could call on Lucy. He remembered every thought that crossed his mind after he met her for the first time, every plan he had. He wanted to court her in the most innocent way; ask her for walks, take her to the market, dance with her during local balls... He had wanted everything to be so simple, so quaint.

Lucy Quincy... From the moment he set eyes on her he knew that she would have a special place in his life, but never did he think that she would fall in love with him. Never did he think he would sacrifice everything for her, leave everything behind and shatter his own world for her.

God, and he would do it again and again and again. Lucy was worth that much to him.

"It wears off."

Ross stiffened and didn't turn. "What is?"

Robert Quincy stepped forward and sat down next to him. "The Quincy curse."

Ross chuckled. "I have no idea what you are talking about. I am not cursed."

"You fell in love with a Quincy, you are cursed," Robert informed him. "It's a running quip in my family. We Quincys were always unnaturally beautiful and handsome. Now, I understand that Lucy is not a Quincy by blood, but she is without a doubt a Quincy nonetheless, and she has the power to curse just like the rest of us."

"Lucy did not curse me, sir," Ross assured him. "I surely would have known."

Robert chuckled. "My brothers and I had no idea about any curse either. We didn't know what the story was behind the effect we had on women. John was ever the straight arrow, at least then, so he was not at all concerned. Matthew had his dalliances before he settled down with Anne, but those women never forgot him. As for myself..." He grinned. "Well, as you can see, I have no intentions of settling down. Women fall in love with me, I break their hearts, and they move on but still remember me. It's a curse. It works on men just as it does women, Captain Beauchamp. But do not worry, it does wear off."

Ross ran a hand over his face. "Curse or otherwise, what Lucy and I feel for each other is quite special, and I'll not have it minimalized to such a ridiculous form."

"My good man, I do not doubt that for a second," Robert assured him. "But I want you to be sure that what you are pursuing is worth it."

"Of course it is."

"Indeed, in your eyes. But it has been a year. Lucy is not a flighty young woman; she is as a straight arrow as my brother. Honestly, I am inclined to believe that this is all a fad and Lucy really is the child of John Quincy. But all that aside," Robert sighed, "it has been a year. The two of you have not been together or seen each other for that time. How are you so certain that she has not charmed another into companionship?"

Ross stood, schooling himself to remain calm while simultaneously shove his fists into his pockets. "She has done no such thing. We love each other."

"What, can you read minds now?" Robert asked, eyebrow cocked.

"Lucy has not fallen for another man!"

"She is betrothed, it is quite likely."

"That betrothal is a farce!" Ross snapped, loosing his calm. "You orchestrated it to keep her in line, Robert, but Lucy is my fiancée, and she has not fallen for another man!"

Robert stood and sighed, shrugged. "If you say so. But I'd be careful, captain," he paused before walking away. "You're starting to sound like the very man that started this debacle."

Robert walked away and Ross stood there, seething. He let out a slew of curses and sat back down, running a hand over his face, but then paused, pondering over Robert's words.

Was he turning into James?

James spoke of Lucy as though she was his possession, an object. Ross knew that all Lucy had ever been was her own woman who had give him the honor of being her partner. And being her own woman, if she fell out of love with him, then what was he to say in retaliation? She had every right... But god, he prayed and prayed that it was not true.

"Please, find her Charlotte," he whispered, shaking his head. "Please, find her."

He knew that Lucy was likely not in London, but he couldn't think of any other place she could be. Robert left no hints as to where Phillip sent her, and neither of them had any records of it.

"I love you, Lucy," he said, staring out towards the distance before him. "I love you so much. But if you do not love me anymore, I only ask that you tell me. I know that no matter what, I will always love you."

Ross closed his eyes, breathed in deep, and then turned to walk inside.

XXX

London, England

Lucy finished her book and placed it aside before standing to go for her daily walk. Her mother was asleep, her third nap for the day, and Lucy had yet to tell her all that she needed to say. After her mother's reveal, she had avoided speaking about the past, but Lucy owed her the story.

As Lucy was being helped into her shawl, a knock sounded on the main doors. Lucy frowned and turned to the footman, gesturing for him to open it. She couldn't think of anyone who would visit at this time of day, her mother barely had any living friends anymore.

The footman opened the doors and let in a young woman about Lucy's age. She was petite and pretty, with porcelain skin, jet-black hair and blue eyes. Lucy tried to place her face but could not, was she new to society?

"Hello," Lucy stepped forward. "Can I help you?"

The woman studied her for a moment, then quickly curtsied. "I was told that this was the Quincy residence?"

Lucy nodded, curtsying back. "It is, but if you are looking for my mother I am afraid she is indisposed at the moment."

"Is your mother Abigail Quincy?"

That was an odd question. "Yes... Yes, she is."

"Then you are Lucy?" The woman pressed, stepping forward. "Lucy Quincy?"

"Indeed, I am," Lucy responded. "Apologies... Who are you?"

The woman looked relieved and smiled. "Charlotte, ma'am. Charlotte Morgan. I am—"

"Ross's former fiancée?" Lucy was even more confused now, but she could see why Ross had been drawn to Charlotte, as she was a beautiful woman. "Dear lord, what are you doing here? How did you find me?"

"Ross has been staying with me on Clayton Island for the past year," Charlotte explained. "Oh, wipe that look off your face Ms. Quincy, it was not at all like that. Ross needed a place to hide and I gave it to him. After a year, he decided to come look for you, and I came with him. He sent me here in the hopes you were here as well and he's in Lanfore."

Lucy's eyes widened. "Ross..." She felt her heart racing. "Ross is in Lanfore?"

"Yes, isn't that what I just said?" Charlotte looked around. "Forgive me, but I am really tired from the journey, do you know of any respectable inns?"

"What? No!" Lucy shook her head, snapping to her senses. "No, you will stay here. Prepare a room for Ms. Morgan," she said to the footman. "Quickly, she is tired."

The footman bowed and rushed off to carry out Lucy's orders. As he did that, Charlotte turned back to her and smiled. "Thank you."

"Of course," Lucy smiled back. "Come, I'll see the kitchen prepare you some lunch, you must be hungry."

"Famished," Charlotte replied with a laugh.

As the two women walked towards the dining hall, Lucy turned back towards the main doors that were now shut and smiled. Ross was coming. He was coming for her.

"I love you, Ross," she whispered to herself, toying with the ring he had given her. "I love you." They were going to be together again... God, she just hoped he still loved her.

Lucy sighed, and turned to walk away.

___________________

Author's note: Thanks for reading, we hope you enjoyed! Be sure to leave a vote and comment, let us know how you liked it!

As we've been promising, we have the preview for our upcoming science fiction/romance series! The link to it is here (and will also be posted on our profile): http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/Milaaa94/1886736/

We hope you enjoy the preview! Let us know how you like it by leaving a comment! :) Also, don't forget to keep voting on the poll for you favorite male character! Robert Quincy seems to be the popular vote this week. ;)

That is all, and we hope you enjoy the rest! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 69 38
Aurelia just wants to live a peaceful life. Unfortunately, the Heir of the Underground has other plans for her... ~ Left on the steps of the chapel a...
36.3K 1.7K 35
"Lust, passion, sex, lies, deceit, all became entangled in our liaison, smothering the real reason we'd grown so attached to one another, love." ...
11.6K 143 21
This story was previously named "The Things You Do To Me." And "The Blue Rose" - The Main antagonist in this story; Voldemort. When Voldemort recrui...
84.9K 7.7K 36
After narrowly escaping an assassination, a new king in disguise escapes to his childhood home only to discover that his unwanted betrothed has been...