Daevas -I- ✔️

Від -S-N-O-

Mouths lie, but blood does not. Ari confronts this profound truth as a holy war between humans and demons eru... Більше

*************
Chapter 1.1: Perchance a Demon
Chapter 1.2: Honey and Mead
Chapter 1.3: Apples
Chapter 2: Name
Chapter 2.1: Left Behind
Chapter 2.2: Lies
Chapter 3: Lessons
Chapter 3.1: Ignorance
Chapter 3.2: Taint
Chapter 3.3: Knowledge
Chapter 4: Sacrilegious
Chapter 4.1: Lust
Chapter 4.2: Astray
Chapter 4.3: Trespass
Chapter 4.4: Desecration
Chapter 5: Curiosity
Chapter 5.1: Wonderment
Chapter 5.2: Marks
Chapter 6: Journey
Chapter 6.1: Erroneous
Chapter 6.2: Touch
Chapter 6.3: Blond Beauty
Chapter 6.4: Dark Night
Chapter: 6.5 Distance
Chapter 7: Discovery
Chapter 7.1: Sin
Chapter 7.2: Desire
Chapter 7.3: Loss
Chapter 7.4: Love
Chapter 7.5: Lost
Chapter 8.1: Doubt
Chapter 8.2: Intimacy
Chapter 8.3: Longing
Chapter 9: Enigma
Chapter 9.1: Forgotten
Chapter 9.2: Recollections
Chapter 9.3: Ardor
Chapter 9.4: Envelop
Chapter 9.5: Revelations
Chapter 9.6: Revelations II
Chapter 10: Maelstrom
Chapter 10.1: Missing Pieces
Chapter 10.2: Ultimatum
Chapter 10.3: Darkness
Chapter 10.4: Judgment
Chapter 11: Twilight
Chapter 11.1: Clandestine
Chapter 11.2: Shadows and Whispers
Chapter 11.3: Poison
Chapter 11.4: Deceit
Chapter 11.5: Blood Ties
Chapter 12: Truth Be Told
Chapter 12.1: Two Sides
Chapter 12.2: Stories & Stars
Chapter 12.3: Hypocrite
Chapter 12.4: Liar
Chapter 12.5: Choice
Chapter 13: Tick-tock
Chapter 13.1: Undone
Chapter 13.2: Reason
Chapter 13.3: Friend
Chapter 13.4: Resolve
Chapter 14: The Greats
Chapter 14.1: Unmasked
Chapter 14.2: Labyrinth
Chapter 14.3: Memories
Chapter 14.4: Remembrance
Chapter 15: True Self
Chapter 15.1: Ensnared
Chapter 15.2: Starry Night
Chapter 15.3: Frustration
Chapter 15.4: Promise
Chapter 16: Harun
Chapter 16.1: Temptation
Chapter 16.2: Only if for a Night
Chapter 16.3: Requited
Chapter 16.4: Ties That Bond Us
Chapter 17: Home
Chapter 17.1: Demon Town
Chapter 17.2: Reciprocity
Chapter 17.3: Trick or Treat
Chapter 17.4: Deviant
Chapter 17.5: Beguiling Devil
Chapter 18: Trial by Fire
Chapter 18.1: Fever
Chapter 18.2: Scabs
Chapter 18.3: Scars
*Daevari -II-*

Chapter 8: Rumination

5.4K 433 98
Від -S-N-O-

One after another, Ari walked through town after town, trying to create as much distance from the order. A night or so passed by before Ari reached a town. As he looked down on it, he noticed it was smaller than most but big enough for him to get lost. The buildings were taller than the ones he had seen in the past towns and the roofs on top of the houses looked to be made out of clay tiles instead of hay. He could hear the sound of men, women, and children crowding the streets. Even horse drawn carts going over the dirt floor made it to his ears.

Ari took his first step towards the town with emotions mixed between dread, excitement, and nervousness. He was happy to be finally out on his own, but he was also fearful as well. When he was escaping, he had not thought of the coins he needed or what he would do once his throat began to itch. Somehow, he thought that he would figure it all out at that town.

He went down the dirt path made by many other people who had passed through. As he grew closer, the forest began to become sparse. Light shone in between the cracks of the tree tops as the gaps increased. It was so bright, Ari had shut one of his eyes and put his hand over his head, giving his eyes a chance to adjust. When they did, he was already out of the forest and nearing the gates.

The walls surrounding it were large stones and slabs of mortar set in between them. It was sloppily done, but Ari knew the walls would hold. The metal gate was raised high and the guards let him inside without so much as a word. They only gave him a fleeting glance before laughing and going back to their conversation.

Ari took a closer look at them. Their armor was scanty compared to the Khaeo's. They had a layer or so of leather with cloth tying the two sides together. Demons would tear right through them in one fatal swoop. What use were those helmets when they could slice through their necks as easy as slicing bread. Ari shook his head and looked ahead, focusing on the myriad of people coming his way.

He wriggled through the masses, none of them paying him any mind. Unlike the others, he wore black clothing, symbolizing his affiliation with the order. Everyone else wore muted colors such as brown and gray. Only royalty or nobles wore such things as purple or blue. Ari did not mind it much. He liked the color black much more than any color. It suited him the best.

As the crowd cleared, he took note of some of the women and children who would bow their heads in thanks for his service. To them, they were like their saviors. The Sanclii risked their very lives for the people behind the border. It was the very least that they could do. Over the years, the death toll of the Sanclii had increased, causing more people to shy away from joining so they took in criminals from the kingdoms and men who had lost their families due to war, famine, or demons. He gave them a nod in return and continued on ahead, not really knowing where to go next.

He passed by the market ignoring the seller pushing a pomegranate in his face. There was the smell of fish permeating the air, as well as scents of perfume. It was disorienting. As the scents became more potent Ari found himself going into the closest building to him.

It was dark. Only a few candles lit the room, causing Ari to look around and assess the place he found himself in. There were a few people in the place all with cups to their lips. He walked closer towards the man who gave him a fleeting glance before scoffing. Ari did not know how he knew, but he knew he was like him. He was a blood demon.

Ari sat a stool away from him, but the man continued to ignore his presence as if he were gnat or bee buzzing around his ear. The look of disinterest reminded him of Cyrus, but Ari could clearly tell he had no intention of speaking to him in the slightest. Why were blood demons that way to their own kind? It did not make any sense to him. He thought since there was so few of them, they would value togetherness, but that did not seem to be the case.

"Whatdya want? A cup of ale or some food to fill your belly? A man came from the back and approached him. "Nows that I looks at ya, you look mighty young to have a cup to your lips," the man said laughing. "But not too young for me."

His belly shook, causing the grease spots and dirt on his clothing to become apparent to Ari. Ari tried to hide away his distaste, but it showed on his face. Cleanliness was something Nolan had always said to strive for when he was a young boy. He told him that it brought him closer to the gods, but Ari really did not believe it made a difference. However, looking at the dirty man staring at him as if he was something appetizing with dirt covering the whole of him made Ari nauseous.

"Give 'em some ale." The man threw two bronze coins on the table and continued downing his drink. His voice held the same strange accent that Auovin had. His was more subtle than Auovin's which made Ari grow even more curious.

Ari took a closer look at the man. He had long lashes and dark brown eyes with specks of gray in his irises. His light brown hair came to his shoulders. It curled and knotted around the ends though, which made Ari want to take his fingers through it and unknot it for him.

"You're impulsive," the man's dark voice said, bringing him out of his thoughts. "I suppose that comes with being so... " He looked at him and mumbled, "young."

The man's eyes cut away from him before Ari had a chance to respond. His words came so suddenly, it took him by surprise.

Ari put his hand next to his, realizing how brown he was compared to him. He was lighter than Rein and did not share the same facial features as he. The man had a much sharper nose and smaller lips. He also had eyes that seemed to cut into his very soul.

"You must learn to control that as we all have done. If not, it will make you easy prey for the older ones."

The man with the dirty shirt came and sat a cup near Ari. Ari did not bother to look at his leering eyes. It made him very uncomfortable. As if noticing, the blood demon shoved the man off and focused his attention back on Ari.

"Are you not one of them?" Ari said.

He swished around his drink with uncaring eyes. "Perhaps, but I am not one to like new things. I like older blood. Like fine wine that ages well with time."

Ari turned his head, trying to process all of what he was saying. He tried to think of how Auovin and Cyrus' blood taste, but could not really describe how it tasted. It was strange.

The man smiled, showing him a row of white teeth with two sharp fangs at each side. "You are like a curious, little puppy. It's cute."

"Cute?"

"But don't worry. I have no interest in you. Go and get your blood elsewhere." The man downed his drink and took Ari's.

"I did not approach you with that in mind," Ari mumbled.

"Is that so?"

Ari watched him drink the ale. He always hated the smell of it and did not think his kind would take to it. Apparently, he was wrong. The man was a little strange, but he did not fill him with apprehension or caution like it was with Auovin and Cyrus in the beginning.

"What is your name?" Ari said.

The man laughed.

"You're rather forward for someone so new." The man's cheeks were becoming redder and his movements clumsier.

"Forward?"

"Would you like for me to share my body with you as well?" the demon laughed. "A name is an intimate thing to share."

Ari looked at him, confused for a moment.

"Why would I ever tell you such a thing?" The demon looked at him closely and chuckled. "You have very human mannerisms. Were you not with blood demons? Were you raised by humans instead?"

Ari could only stare as his face planted on the wooden table. He waited for him to lift his head back up, but seconds passed and he did not stir. After some moments of silence, Ari decided to come closer to the peculiar man. He put a finger near his nose and felt his breath blow against it. Blood demons did not seem to die off so easily. A few cups of ale and he was like this made Ari question the tolerance level that they possessed.

As soon as Ari went to touch his hand, a man came through the door. He was out of breath as he rushed towards their table. Ari looked at him and gave him an odd look. Strands of dirty auburn hair were on his face. The man pushed them back, showing Ari all of his face. There was a tint of color in his skin probably from the sun. There was nothing that spoke of him being a blood demon. Ari did not get that aura from him, which made things even harder to understand. Why was a human so close to this old one? He did not like human blood.

Ari rose and pushed the man back. He was wearing black like himself. It could only mean one thing. By how far he went from his simple push, Ari could immediately tell that he was human. The man caught his footing and looked at Ari with narrowed eyes. The man spared the blood demon a glance for a second, but Ari stepped closer to him bringing his attention back to him.

"You are from The Khaeo... " the man said. He did not look much older than him.

"As you are," Ari replied.

"A deserter?"

Ari furrowed his brows. Was that what he was now?

"I never belonged there, to begin with... "

The man continued to try to look over at the demon sleeping on the table, but Ari got in his way each time.

"Sai should not be drinking. It is like poison. Let me see him."

"You know his name?"

Instead of answering, the man pushed passed him and lifted his head.

"Gods, he is drunk."

Ari continued to stare as he fumbled with Sai. He lifted him up from the table after a couple more tries and headed for the door, but Ari stood in his way.

"Are you like him? Is that why you are so mistrusting of me?" A couple seconds passed and he started for the door again. "If you are, then come away with me. It has been too long since he has seen another one like himself. It would be good for him."

Ari followed behind him at a distance. He found it strange no matter the many ways he thought of it. The demon was as old as Auovin, if not older, but he kept a human around him? It was even stranger that he did not take his blood. Were they friends? Did he not say knowing his name was an intimate thing? Ari shook his head at the thought.

His mind was going elsewhere now, filling with the thoughts of Auovin. It was no wonder Auovin encouraged him to say his name and it was probably the main reason why Freir warned him about it. Some things that were not making sense before, was piecing together now. However, the more pieces he seemed to connect the greater the puzzle grew.

They arrived at a house decorated with thick vines and mortar. Ari hesitated at the door as he watched the man go in with the demon, but he decided to go in after looking around. None of the humans around these parts seemed to notice them. How exactly did the Khaeo know what he was? Was it the way he smelled or the way he looked?

The house looked much prettier than the outside of it. All of the furniture in the hallway and living room was furnished with expensive-looking things. Even the rugs on the ground. Ari stared down at his shoes, wondering if he should go and take them off. He did not want to ruin something that looked like it cost thousands of relis.

"Do not bother with your shoes. Help me lay him down."

Ari closed in the distance and helped him with Sai's other side. The relief that wafted from the man was very apparent. Sai was a tall man, not very muscled but still looked heavy enough. It was like the time when Ari tried to take Auovin through the window by himself. Together, they brought the demon up the stairs and took him down a hallway filled with portraits of still-lifes. A bowl of fruit, a pretty blonde woman smiling, waterfalls, and oceans were just a few of them. The frames they were hanging from were embellished with gold. The walls were creme which made everything more noticeable.

"Down here." The man opened up a door to a lavish bedroom.

There was a canopy bed and two fur rugs covering some of the wooden floors. Clothing was strewn across tables and chairs. Shoes were left loitering around. Despite all that, it did not take away from the beauty of the room. The walls were a deep set ocean blue. Thick creme covers and pillows covered the bed. There were two mirrors with gold framing-- one was at a vanity; the other near the far corner of the room. Jewelry hung from each, making Ari believe he was in a villa meant for royalty and not a blood demon.

They laid him down on the bed after pulling some of the covers back and taking off his shoes. Ari stepped back as the man unbuttoned his shirt. He watched as the man pushed back the long, brown strands of the demon's hair. There was a small smile on his face then, but Ari did not bother to ask him any more questions. He knew he would soon have all of his answers.

The man looked up and started for the door, taking Ari along with him. He grabbed Ari's wrist and took him out the room. Ari did not have to look back to know he had closed the door behind them. As their eyes met once more, Ari realized then the man must be in love with him. He did not know how he knew, but he knew.

"The demon... Sa--"

"Do not speak his name if it was not given to you," the man said as they went back down the stairs.

"And it is not pronounced the way you think. It is sah-yee. Sah-yee. As you must have realized he is quite old and carries an ancient name. How can you be like him and not know this?" The man eyed him suspiciously.

"I do not know anything about myself, about who or what I am because The Khaeo had been my home for the longest time. They raised me and kept many things from me, as a result. But I am here now wanting to learn."

He scoffed and pushed some of his auburn hair out of his face and behind his ear.

"Sai is a terrible teacher then. He will be of no use to you."

"You are a part of the Khaeo too, but you... "

"I was. But unlike you, I was... " the man was debating on whether to tell him or not. Ari could tell. "I was raised by him for awhile."

"Raised?"

"He took care of me."

Ari was growing more confused by the minute. Blood demons tended to abandon their own children, but they would raise a human child? It did not make any sense.

"If it is as you say it is, then you have much to learn, but very little time to learn it."

"Your name, can I ask what it is?" Ari said.

The man smiled and outstretched his hand out towards him.

"Raoul."

Ari took it, causing Raoul to tighten his hand around Ari's. They were warm and soft, Ari noticed, which was rare for people who worked in the order.

"And yours?"

Ari held his breath the way Raoul looked at him. It was a different kind of apprehension he had with the man at the tavern. Ari could not quite put a name on it, which caused him to become a little jumbled.

"... Ari."

The man showed him a row of teeth as he laughed. "We must work on that."

Ari looked at him, finally able to look at his eyes again. He was still holding onto his hand as well.

"On what?"

"Telling others your name so easily and openly. You mustn't do it." He closed the distance between them, causing Ari to lift his head up. "Lest you want to express some open desire to have them or for you to be had by them."

Ari's face flushed causing Raoul to laugh. Raoul looked at him and smiled again.

"You are quite cute and I think you must know this already in order to have gotten away with all of this for so long." Ari took a step back, growing uncomfortable by his closeness. "Worry not, I will convince Sai to teach you some things you must know going forward. In return... why not become my friend?"

Raoul's smile seemed to widen as Ari wore an expression of confusion and apprehension quite apparent on his face.

"We are both deserters and strange oddities in this world. We seem to have a lot in common as is," Raoul smiled again.

"I suppose we could," Ari mumbled. Ari did not have much of any growing up and he never once had someone offer to become his either. His heart warmed at the thought.

"Good, then stay here. With me. With him." Raoul walked closer to his ear and whispered, "between you and I, I think Sai kind of likes you."

Ari laughed this time, which had gotten a little laugh from Raoul as well. He would make due with this for the time being. He still had the intention to go and find Auovin and Cyrus. However, as of now, he just wanted to be by himself for awhile and find some of the answers to his questions himself. They were biased from both ends, whether it was The Khaeo or them. With them, perhaps, they could give him the answers he had been looking for.

________________________________________

[A/N] I did a thing you guys!

Ari still doesn't realize when someone is interested in him, obviously. I find it kind of cute, but a little dangerous as well. I think it's good he's trying to find the answers for himself, but there is definitely some downsides to him being out there alone. There's another blood demon in the picture now. What do you guys think of Sai? Tell me your thoughts down in the comments!

Thank you for reading, commenting, and voting! You guys are, truly, the ones motivating me to finish this~ :D

"

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

Truly Misfortunate BXB Від It'sObsidian.

Детективи / Трилер

552 49 40
Alistair's being plagued by dreams about a certain creature. And someone who could be his Grandmother, but no, she died. He lives in a town called Mi...
381K 24.6K 62
In the land of gods and monsters, humans plagued Malcea with their wars. Their love for treasure, pleasure, and power caused them to forsake the gods...
3.1K 258 15
Ari struggles with his identity amid the aftermath of chaos that befell humanity three hundred years ago. Trust eludes him, and isolation is his shie...
Bound by Blood Від SG Gardner

Паранормальні явища

247K 16.4K 31
When Ari touches a cursed artifact and becomes possessed by a powerful spell, he must find a way to control it or risk losing himself and the half-va...