Hunting Royalty

By rlit936

**Completed** Alia de Luca wants revenge. When her best friend is murdered, she swears to find and get even... More

Authors Note
1. Disguises and Discussions
2. Basements and Brothers
3. Charlotte and Coins
4. Dinner and Daggers
5. Terrors and Training
6. Best Friends and Bleeding
7. Goodbyes and Glow Stones
8. Bribing and Brunch
9. Classes and Clara
10. Spells and Spies
11. Social Climbing and Sparring
12. Invites and Intruders
13. Priestess and Pillowtalk
14. Bedfellows and BDSM
15. Apologies and Autumn
16. Drugs and Darkness
17. Maids and Marriage
18. Arguments and Affairs
19. Rejection and Reunions
20. Bedrooms and Bleeding Hearts
21. Leaving and Lists
22. Rumours and Rum Balls
23. Teasing and Tests
24. Dancing and Death
25. Heartbreak and Healing
26. Cleansing and Captive
27. Queen Bee and Questions
28. Mothers and Mix-ups
29. Violence and Vows
30. Scotch and Stupid
31. Serenades and Scandal
32. Truths and Trade
33. Explanations and Evasions
34. Gifts and Goldsmiths
35. Decapitation and Dates
36. Swimming and Shocks
37. Red-handed and Revelations
38. Fears and Firsts
39. Leaves and Lakes
40. Ominous and Objects
41. Corbane and Combat
42. Cassy and Charms
43. Searches and Stealing
44. Dinner and Dessert
45. Arrows and Accusations
46. Rings and Restraints
47. Boredom and Beliefs
48. Entrances and Evidence
50. Voting and Verdicts
51. Bracelets and Breakouts
52. Memories and Monsters
Epilogue
Sequel and My Next Project
Ask Me Anything

49. Falsehoods and Framed

2.4K 185 12
By rlit936

Ok good news and bad news. Bad news, there won't be a double update today :(  Good news, there is going to be a quintuple update today.  Yes you heard right.  I will be posting the last five chapters.  I stayed up all night writing because I got on such a high and I was so excited about finishing.  So here we go, let the grand finale commence.

Marie clears her throat drawing everyone's attention, "Now that we have all heard the case against Alia de Luca, it is time for her to speak in her defense. Kara will ask you questions and you will answer truthfully," she explains.  This is the interrogation phase, Kara is going to force me to answer any questions the jury can think of and they will make their judgement based on my answers.

I see Kara narrow her focus on me, "Are you a rebel?" she asks in the same hypnotic tone as before.

The thread of her words winds themselves around my mind. I resist but I feel the band pull tighter, the pressure is intense, "No."

"We'll I guess we can all go home now," Kayden announces.

"No, there are ways to lie with the truth," Vincent informs Kayden. He's right and that is what I need to do. I've done my best to convince Nate I'm innocent, now I need to do my best to convince all these people I'm guilty with only the truth. I'm going to have to get creative. "Continue with the questions," Vincent instructs Kara.  I notice for the first time that Kara is reading from a prearranged list of questions. I bet I can guess who wrote them.

"Have you ever given information to the rebels regarding Prince Nathaniel's location?"

The melodic drum of her words beats in my head harder and harder until the words are forced from me, "No." I can see Nate relaxing slightly at my responses, he relieved.

"Have you ever tried to kill Prince Nathaniel?"

"No," I can feel the shield charm giving me a small window of time. It's not strong enough to let me lie outright. But if I can think fast enough I can think of a truth that suits my purposes better.

"Have you ever thought about killing Prince Nathaniel?"

My initial reaction is to say no. That is the truth that wants to escape me, but there is another. I remember once when I was mad at him I thought I wanted to, it was more an expression of anger than an actual desire to kill him. I focus on that thought. Until I have convinced myself that it is the truth. "Yes," I see my word still the whole room. Nate looks away from me, focusing instead on his hands in his lap.

"Have you ever done anything to intentionally hurt Prince Nathaniel?"

I barely have to think about this one, all my actions seem to hurt him recently, "Yes."

"Why did you get close to Prince Nathaniel?"

I focus on my initial plan for him, "For information."

"This concludes the initial round of questions. If you have any follow up questions present them now," Marie intones. Kara stands and collects a few pieces of folded paper from some of the priest and priestesses. She takes her seat and begins reading them to me.

"If you considered killing Prince Nathaniel, why didn't you?"

Because I love him. I push that answer down and look for another, "I had other plans for him." It's similar to what Eva said to me and equally true now.

"What information did you want from Prince Nathaniel?"

I can't see a good alternative for this one but I should be able to use it to my advantage, "Information about the rebels and the circumstances of Princess Violetta's death."

"Let's move on to the second line of questions," Marie instructs Kara.

"Did you recognize the items found in your room that were used as evidence?"

Easy. "Yes," I keep my answers as short as I can, it will make them less likely to think I am deceiving them. It also prevents me from giving away information that makes me seem innocent.

"Do these objects belong to you?"

I fight the compulsion, it's becoming easier for me to work the truth in a way I want it, "Some of them."

"Did you hide these objects in your room?"

"Yes," I found them and then I re-hid them.

"What is the purpose of these objects?"

This one is a little harder. "They have different purposes," I say. I feel Kara adding more pressure trying to force me to say more but I keep my mouth closed.

Kara once again collects additional questions. "Which of the objects belong to you?"

"The mirror and the list of poisons."

"Who do the other objects belong to?"

I need to plant the seed of doubt for my plan to work properly. This whole performance is for Laurelle. "I assume they belong to the rebel who framed me," I see the ripple of confusion spread at my words. Nate who had been looking more uncomfortable by each question finally raises his eyes again.

"That was the final round of set questions, we will now open the floor to general questions," Marie announces before letting Kara continue. Almost everyone writes down a question for Kara.

"Have you ever planned to commit treason?"

I focus on when Marie first visited me and all the messed-up thoughts she put in my head, "Yes."

"What did you hope to accomplish from your plan?"

"To put the true kings blood back on the throne," I look down at my own wrists bound in metal shackles, I've been wearing them for half a day now, my wrists are rubbed raw. My own blood is trickles across my wrist. I can't heal myself but them wouldn't expect me to, the collar blocks gifts too.

"Why do you think the rebels are framing you?"

I think about the question for a few moments. Honestly, I'm not sure but I have my suspicions. "We are each other's competition, we're in each other's way."

"Why do you say that?" Kara asks, this is her own follow up question.

"There can only be one king, we are backing different people." They are supporting the de Lorenzo's claim to the throne, I am backing the boy in my vision.

"Do you know any rebels?"

I don't know for sure and Kara's compulsion prevents me from lying,  "I could guess a few."

"Who would you guess is a rebel?"

I don't want to out Eva or any of the other Forrester's, I have other plans for them.  "I am sure there is others here who could name far more than me," I say instead. I see Forrester tense slightly, he's afraid I might out him and he'll be the one in this seat.

"Do you support the Hargreaves?"

Ah, the dreaded question, its also the one I asked Marie to write.  I turn it over again and again in my mind.  "Some of them," I see the king's eyes widen in response, I bet this is his first confirmed mention of them in centuries.

"Do you know any Hargreaves?"

"Yes," There is no escaping that one.

"Where are they?" Kara demands.

"Hiding in plain sight," I can't help my little smile at that one. If they only knew the truth.

"Where?"

My smile grow to full grin, "There is at least one in this room."  I feel powerful knowing a truth that they would kill for and yet even throwing the full force of their interrogation at me, they still can't get it out from me.

"Who is the Hargreave.?"

"There is no one here by that name," I smile at my twist of words, no one here does use the name Hargreave. It's getting easier to resist. This can't just be my charm. I look at Kara more closely, the is a light sheen of sweat across her brow. She's had to work extra hard to get answers from me, the strain has been too much. She is almost out of magic.

"Kara, can you get her to not dance around the truth," Vincent seems annoyed by my lack of response. He looks almost desperate to find out about the Hargreaves.

"She's out of magic," I answer for her.

"Already? Perhaps it's time for a new priestess,"  he threatens her agitated by the situation.

Kara looks beyond offended, "It's not my fault, she was resisting somehow, I'm sure of it."

"You think she lied?"  the queen questions sending me a speculative look. 

Kara shakes her head and rubs at her temples as she thinks about what happened, "I don't think so, but she wasn't completely honest either."

"How is that possible?"  Vincent grips the armrest of his throne to restrain himself probably from hitting something.

"I don't know,"  Kara mumbles.

"If Kara cannot continue then that brings an end to our interrogation. I think we have a lot to consider. We will reconvene tomorrow to vote," Marie closes my trial.

The two guards who brought me in unbind me and lead me back out of the room. I feel eyes boring into the back of my head. I'm sorry Nate. I can only imagine what is going through his head after all of that. He probably hates me.

Outside of the doors I see a familiar pair of green eyes. I pretend to stumble and grab her hand. Cassy's shocked eyes stare into mine as I send her my message. I push all of my determination and need to the one thought.

I know she hears it. She shakes her head like she is refusing what I'm telling her. I push more urgency into my thought. The guards rip me away from her, the metal cuts deep into my skin.

Just before they pull me around the next corner I look back and see Cassy nod once. She's going to do it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 446 77
As a new queen rises to power, the kings of Caeleste grow unrest. The Inlustris in their sights, they send an assassin to Antonella Feulune's palace...
71 5 11
There are five kingdoms on the planet called "Earth", wherein the people have their own elemental power; it is either fire, water, earth, ice, wind...
7K 289 24
"You know, everybody's talking about the beautiful and deadly new competitor in court." well look who it was, the guy I was supposed to try and win o...
1.8K 1.4K 40
The only way to survive is to break the Chain. The chain in which Alia is caught right now. Alia- an archaeological student who ended up as the Quee...